“Good option off the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Ultimo Maya - CLOSED

El Ultimo Maya
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: RESTAURANT BAR WITH TRADITIONAL MEXICAN FOOD
“Good option off the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Off the beaten trail in the pueblo of Akumal (on the top of the hill on the other side of the highway from the beach). Decent food, and remarkable good service, given that we arrived with 3 other families and got our food in a reasonable amount of time. Good fish tacos, although they lacked salsa, or much other garnish, and an excellent fish Tikinxic (cooked in a foil envelope). The "hamburger" was clearly not their speciality, but was good enough for the six-year-old palate...

• Visited April 2014

Bend, Oregon
“Good little luch spot . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Good little spot to stop for a quick taco, etc. My wife ordered the shrimp tacos con pasilla chiles. Very good but not a great price for the quantity of food that arrived. The menu makes everything look inexpensive until it arrives and you see what you actually get. So, if you want some reasonably priced food at a good quality with small portions this is the place for you. You can easily spend 100-150 pesos to get enough food to call a meal. Good, friendly service, with attentive management. I would go back but just for a quick bite. Very nice atmosphere considering its location right next to the highway. So, you want a quickie go here. For a more substantial meal try another location.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Crown Point, Indiana
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

We recently ate here after reading fabulous reviews on Facebook. Everything we ate, from cheese quesadillas to steak tacos and seafood was excellent. It is a local restaurant just minutes from Akumal Beach. Parking in front was easy and the service was great.

• Visited April 2014
Terrebonne, Oregon
“We loved this restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

On a recent trip to Akumal, we visited El Ultimo Maya in the Pueblo twice, and had some of our best meals there. We found the staff friendly, the settling genuine and the food very good. The Lime Soup became my basis for comparison for soups throughout the Yucatan on the rest of our trip, including recommended restaurants in Izamal and Merida. This was the best! We had the nachos, simply prepared fish and tacos, all were delicious, clearly prepared with care and from fresh ingredients. One of our party had the ensalada mixta, and it was wonderful, a plate piled high with beautifully arranged, fresh, flavorful vegetables.

One of our visits was on a weeknight, the other on a Friday, and Friday was a much more lively experience, with Karaoke being sung by locals in the bar. But clearly this was a local meeting place, with families as well as young singles coming for food and to be with friends, and the singing was pretty good! We even saw an impromptu dance, when a person who had been away awhile came in to say hello to the staff. Regretably, we did not get the name of our host, but he was so welcoming, his face literally lighting up when we returned the second time. He clearly recognized us and could not have been more gracious. He also has an amazing singing voice, being on of the most energetic and talented of the singers on our last visit, which happened to be Valentine's Day.

We loved El Ultimo Maya, a chance to be in real Mexico, with real people and great food. It was delicious, we felt very welcome and enjoyed our interactions with the other guests and staff. This is our fifth trip to Akumal and, frankly, we were ready to move on, as it has become so crowded, clearly "discovered". El Ultimo Maya and similar places just might keep us coming back.

• Visited February 2014
Kotzebue, Alaska, United States
“Heartbreaker of my trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

In 2010 the visit here made my trip to Mexico. If we weren't at La Buena Vida we were here for Real Mexican/Yucataeo/Mayan food. TVs were on the wall with the soccer/football game on, and while the clientele were primarily male, there was a safe, family atmosphere.

This visit made me wonder if I had wandered into the wrong place!

Everything was fairly dark, TVs were gone, Two tables of rougher looking men, who had been drinking for a while were the only people there when we arrived for dinner. Another couple of men staggered in, one who stopped to run a tirade in Spanish (luckily I'm the only one who understood what he was saying.) About us belonging across the highway where the gringos do nothing but drink and dance.

The menu was missing 90% of the things I had loved from last time.

The Lime Soup, which was the best I had ever had was still on the menu. I ordered this as a treat for me. I wonder what I did wrong? The broth was barely flavored, and the chicken was gummy and not cooked through and had been cooked in the microwave.

We had ordered the Steak Arrachera which again, had been such a favorite last time. We watched the person cooking, who came out of the back, walk over to a freezer and remove a package of frozen, store bought arrachera. The predominant cooking for this was in the microwave, and the flavor showed.

Nothing like my experience when Ignacio owned the place. He and his wife put a lot of love and care into what they cooked, and while it wasn't 5 star, it was real and honest food.

We enjoyed coming here in the past, we couldn't wait to leave on this trip. Perhaps during the day, as I see some others have posted, there is a more extensive menu, and more care is used. At night the place is mostly a bar, with food as an afterthought.

I came down with a intestinal issue right after eating here, and while I can't say definitively that it came from here, I can say I will not be back, and that I no longer recommend this restaurant to friends when they head down.

• Visited November 2013