“Beautiful resort!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sacramento, California
“Beautiful resort!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

For their 60th Anniversary celebration, my in-laws treated our party of 11 to a stay at the Iberostar Play Mita. Our entire group had a fantastic time, as there was something to appeal to all. While it was a challenge to book reservations for 11 to the "special" restaurants, we enjoyed the Japanese and the "Orient Express"- themed dinners the best. The buffet was good, with variety each day.
We were very impressed with the staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful, starting with Felipe, the outstanding concierge who arranged our airport transport and local excursions.

Kudos to the hardworking and entertaining guys at the pool bar, and the entertainment crew who worked all day and then performed in the nightly musical revues.

We stayed in one of the ocean-front Junior suites and that balcony really made for a good viewing platform during the tropical storm on our last night.

One thing to keep in mind... since this resort is geared towards families, we did get weary of the non-stop noise at the pool. Wish they had an adults pool, for a relaxing time... though a trip down to the beach served us just as well.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower level are "garden view"--- we found them to be loud- full of famili...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank willp916
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Playa Mita, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your review. We appreciate your nice words regarding the hotel facilities, staff and services. We are pleased to know that all of you were able to enjoy IBEROSTAR Playa Mita.

Thank you for your comments on our restaurants and for giving us the opportunity of being your host to celebrate your family's 60th anniversary and make it a memorable one.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again here at this little slice of paradise.

Warm regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This resort was fantastic...by far the best all inclusive that I have been to.

Rooms were clean and maids were prompt and proffesional.

Food was great! The buffets were smaller than many, but the quality of the food was there. I prefer less options with better quality...so it worked well. The ala carte's were faboulous as well. They were middle level restraunt quality here at home.

The pool was smallish, but there was a substantial amount of shade and lovely beach chairs. The ocean area was also well maintained and clean.

The resort is about an hours drive away from Puerto Vallarta, and is a long was off from most excursions. So if you are excursion happy another resort is better, but if you like to relax by the pool or ocean than this one is faboulous.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a waste of money...they aren't really ocean view at all. Spa rooms are c...
2 Thank Adam D
Dear guest

We wish to extend warm greetings from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita and thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us; it is always a pleasure to know that we exceeded our guests' expectations with regards to the service provided by our dedicated staff.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the good job performed by our maids and the high quality food found in the property. With relation to the pool, we would like to comment that we have a total of three pools including the one for aquatic sports plus the aquatic park for the children with a sanded playground aside.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back during your next visit.

Receive a warm greeting from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita,
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We got a really good deal for this resort and were very pleased with almost everything about it. I've seen other reviews with complaints about the food, especially the buffet, but we thought the food was excellent. The buffet had a wide selection, including cooked to order mussels and tuna steaks, which are my personal favorites. All of the a la carte restaurants were very good, although I agree with the one reviewer about the steak restaurant. We were there in July and it was very warm in the restaurant as it is an open air restaurant. We really liked not having a limit on the number of times you could go to the specialty restaurants. We found the service to be very good all round. We had a standard room on the ground level with a tropical view and although the room was basic it was fine. We couldn't see the ocean from our room, but it was a very convenient location-easy to get to the pools, ocean or lobby area. The beach was beautiful-clean, no rocks, excellent for swimming. We actually swam almost exclusively in the ocean as the pool water was very warm. This would be my only complaint- it would have been a lot more refreshing to have cooler water in the pools. There was live entertainment every night. Overall it was a great place to spend a very relaxing week. I would highly recommend this resort. Great value for the money spent.

6 Thank Brenda S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Playa Mita, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff and Management team, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We appreciate your nice words regarding the hotel facilities, our a la carte restaurants, the staff and the services. We are pleased to know that you were able to enjoy so much of what the Bandera’s bay has to offer.

Your positive experience with us is the greatest motivation for all of our staff. Your words are inspiring to continue with our goal, which is to always exceed your expectations.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back soon.

Our best regards from Iberostar Playa Mita.
Langley
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I just got back from our week long stay at this fabulous resort. There is very little that one can say negative about this place, unless they're a vegetarian, but I'll get to that later.

The overall look and feel was amazing and relaxing and fun! The lobby was grand without feeling over the top. The lobby bar was comfortable with amazing chandeliers, and the live entertainment was awesome! The front desk service was very quick and friendly and before we knew it we were all checked into our ocean front rooms, highly recommend the Spa room upgrade if given the option!

The rooms themselves were basic but nothing to complain about them. The beds were supper comfortable, the AC worked marvelously, and the mini fridge was restocked daily. The artwork and furniture were fresh but you still felt like you were in Mexico. The view was the best, we watched the sunset from our deck and just ordered room service on at least three occasions :)

As part of our room upgrade we had access to a private lounge area over looking the ocean. There was rarely anyone else here so we practically had the place to ourselves for the whole week. And while the hot tubs could be a bit too hot to enjoy, I would have preferred a cool tub to be honest, they were still nice to sink down into to escape the heat somedays.

The lounge bar was awesome and had an amazing view, just wished that it opened earlier and stayed open later. But the next nearest bar was only a 30 second walk further away, so no biggie really. There were always plenty of empty chairs and loungers up here, so never a fight to find somewhere to relax.

The main pool wasn't that cold, but refreshing nevertheless. We generally stayed on the lower section as the majority of people stayed up top, close to the swim up bar so it could sometimes get a bit busier than we liked.

The beach itself was amazing. Soft sand, lots of loungers, and the water was wonderful. Just watch out for the undertow if a big storm rolls through. We had one during the night and the next day it was crazy, a body surfers paradise lol. Speaking of storms, we had a few lighting storms in the distance, and the light show they put on is stunning. We just sat and watched a few of them while enjoying a drink or three. There are plenty of vendors on the beach but they're pretty good if you just say no thanks.

We only tried two of the a la cartes, the Mexican and the Japanese. Both were really good and highly recommend them. But I will have to say that the buffets were the biggest let down for us. I'm strictly vegetarian, while my wife only eats chicken, and I really struggled to eat here. The buffet could basically be broken up into three sections, (meat, fruits & desserts, and everything else). And sadly, a lot of the "everything else" would have meat mixed into it. As if having several nothing but meat options wasn't enough, they would dice ham up in the rice dish, toss salami in the salad, cut up hot dogs in a veggie dish. Even the pizzas, which was the bulk of my diet, were more often than not meat pizzas. Considering that being vegetarian is becoming more and more popular, that there are plenty of people out there trying to eat healthier, and even tons of people with religious factors preventing them from eating meat, one would hope that there would be more options than what they were offering. I've been to several all inclusive resorts and this one was by far the worst in selection. Sadly, by the end of our week, this one factor was actually enough to have me looking forward to returning home so that I could have a decent meal :\

That being said, I would still highly recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing get away, tucked away in a beautiful pocket of Mexico!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Spa rooms
8 Thank ChickenPizza
Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host.

We would like to thank you greatly for taking the time to share your experience with us at IBEROSTAR Playa Mita.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments on our personalized and friendly service, the entertainment, the facilities and the restaurants. It has always been our main purpose to provide a service that exceeds expectations.

In relation to the lounge bar hours we would like to comment that it has recently been extended from 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm so our guests have now the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful sunset with the drink of their preference. With respect to the vegetarian options, we provide our guests with a special menu for vegetarians that can be offered at any of the a la carte restaurants. We are also happy to assist with any special requests coordinating efforts with our Chef.

Thank you again for choosing us as your destination, we hope you give us again the opportunity of offer you our hospitality at this little slice of paradise.

Receive warm greetings from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita

Best regards!
Langley, BC
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a wonderful time at this resort. It's a smaller one so you are able to walk everywhere and it never felt over run with people. We never had an issue getting loungers on the beach, pool or deck overlooking the ocean. We upgraded our room to be ocean front in the spa section of the resort. It was money well spent. We spent a lot of our time on the private deck with jacuzzi tubs. More often than not it was just my husband and myself on it. It was so private, and probably about 3000 sq ft. If this is your first time in Puerto Vallarta the location might be too far for you especially if you're city people. It's about an hours drive from downtown PV. You are 20 minutes away from the surfing town of Sayulita which is pretty cute and Punta de Mita is about 10 minutes away by taxi as well.

This resort is isolated, but we loved that.

The beach is amazing. Soft sand, clear water and it stretches forever! The ocean and mountain views here are untouchable. It's one of the most beautiful locations ever. With being right on the beach you never felt overwhelmed by the humidity as there was always a breeze.

We loved that they have so many sitting areas around the resort. It gives it a nice cozy feeling. Also the decor is really charming. I love there's a hint of steampunk here and there. They have a lot of industrial and natural art. Cool chandeliers and lots of beachy type wood and furniture made from tropical wood.

The beds were comfortable and we thought this resort was excellent value for the money. The one thing we didn't enjoy was the food. We are pretty easy, not fussy eaters. However, we did struggle to eat here. My husband is 100% vegetarian and I eat chicken occasionally. Even the salads had ham or bacon in them. I think if you're a big meat eater you will have no problems enjoying the food here, for us it was the only thing about the resort we didn't really enjoy. My hubby ate pizza when he could find it meat free. The breakfasts were the best meal of the day we thought. We wish the all inclusive resorts would also offer a veggie burger. Everything they need to make one is on their buffet and so many people are trying to eat less meat now that it would be a really nice option for people that want a change.

Overall, this is a great family/couples resort that is in a beautiful setting with amazing service and staff that works so hard to make sure you have a wonderful vacation. If the price is right we'd definitely go back again. We also do not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone. It's geared to intimate relaxation time. I can't stress enough how hard everyone works and we just loved the people here :)

Room Tip: If you are not traveling with children we recommend the ocean view spa rooms. We sat on our deck wat...
4 Thank SeaChicken
Dear guest

We are delighted to read your positive comments, thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your hosts.

Your positive experience with us is the greatest motivation for all of our staff. Your words inspire us to continue working towards our goal, which is to exceed your expectations and put special attention in all the details for your total comfort.

With respect to the vegetarian options, we would like to comment that we offer a menu for vegetarians at all of the specialty restaurants. Our staff is also happy to assist with any special food requests.

We will happily share your experience with all our staff, thank you again for choosing us as your favorite destination and for recommending our property.

It is gratifying to understand from your comments that you intend to return to our hotel; we are looking forward to your return.

Receive warm greetings and a friendly HOLA from paradise.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2014

For me this resort just didn’t quite hit the mark, there is something lacking.

Overall, it is a good place to be and relax but compared to other resorts of a similar star rating it didn’t quite do it for me.

The resort itself is well-maintained with lots of communal areas. We loved the decking sunbathing area overlooking the ocean. There never seemed to be more than about 4 people on it and it was only a 20 second walk to the pool. We never fought for sunbeds and even if the hotel had been full I am not sure you would as there are lots of areas to go. The pools are clean. I would have liked maybe one more (and I think there would be space) that is a bit more serious where you could actually swim, I am not a big fan of swim up bars. For me the beach was okay – the water lovely but I’ve seen cleaner beaches. It was nice though to not see cigarette butts in the sand. And I did like how the sales guys didn’t both you again once you’d said no.

Our room was clean. Though I did spot some mopping where it had merely been pushed up against the door and not swept away. This is also how I would describe the cleaning of the corridors, each room was swept then the contents of this left in a pile by the lifts or on the stairs – gross to walk out into. We tipped regularly but never experienced any towel art. We asked both reception and the concierge for a Do Not Disturb sign as ours was missing when we checked-in – this never came but luckily the maid gave us one. On our first night our bed felt damp – we were too exhausted to do anything about it and it smelt clean I think it was probably just from the air con.

The bar service was good. The range of drinks was amazing, best I’ve seen in an All-Inc. I was pregnant so I tried all the non-alcoholic cocktails which were good too. Occasionally there was a language barrier in what you were ordering but hey-ho, try what you’re given and start again! Loved the giving our nuts or popcorn with your drinks, made it feel like a high-end bar. The sunset by the pool bar is amazing.

The food is where the resort let itself down for me. It was mediocre. I am not a fussy eater and when on holiday I try most things so it’s not that I’m scared to try new things, in face it’s the opposite for me it was very bland and repetitive. There were also a lot of flies, which in an air-conditioned restaurant with doors I struggle to be sympathetic towards. And the food sat there for a long time so went cold. I also don’t think the serving area in the buffet would cope if the hotel was at full capacity – this became apparent at breakfast. There was also a lack of service, sometimes we got asked if we wanted a drink, sometimes not. Sometimes you’d get shown to a table, sometimes not. I do not think there were enough staff members. I also hate tablecloths, they get dirty and look unsightly very quickly. We chose to eat at the speciality restaurants a lot, as the food was a better quality, especially the Gourmet. I have to say I think unlimited use of these restaurants is a fantastic perk and we never had a problem booking.

The entertainment was great. I’ve never seen live singing before, it was fab. My only suggestion would be a two-week programme as the evening shows did become repetitive.

Overall, I had a lovely relaxing time. I was quite nervous going that far from home 14 weeks pregnant but there is a medical centre on site and I did feel safe. I wouldn’t say to someone ‘don’t go’ but I think they need to iron out the cleaning issues and get some better quality, hotter food in the buffet and they would have it just right.

Room Tip: I peferred the third floor due to views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nichollsb01
Dear guest,

We thank you for taking the time to express your observations.

We appreciate your nice words regarding the hotel facilities, the cocktails offered, the staff and the services. Please rest assured that your feedback is certainly being taken in consideration.

Please accept our sincere apologies with respect to your inquiries with the Concierge Department. We will review this with them so that our guests' requests are followed up appropriately.

In relation to the pools, we would like to mention that our guests will find four pools in total including two for swimming and refreshing plus one for aquatic sports and of course the one for the children with a pirate ship, slides and a sandy playground aside.

We hope you give us the opportunity of having you in the near future and treat you with the excellence that you deserve.

Receive warm greetings from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita!

Surrey
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My family and I stayed here just a week ago. Firstly, the fact that there are no time share vultures here is a huge bonus. Signing in at the front desk was quick and friendly. Some reviews had mentioned that english was lacking at this resort but we found it excellent. Look for Max at the bellboy desk. He is full of helpful info and a great help with advice if you plan to visit other cities. Our rooms were very clean and the bar fridge was restocked daily. Leave some pesos on your pillow and towel animals appear!! Good job to the cleaning staff. The hallways were swept in the early morning hours and kept clean. The little crabs that cruise down the ground floor hallways hide by the door edges sometimes, but they are harmless. Ask for a third floor room if you want to avoid these little things.
We enjoyed the buffet and enjoyed its selections. A good variety for adults and children. We visited the Japanese restaurant and the Gourmet restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was entertaining and we had excellent service. The Gourmet restaurant required men to wear pants. I can understand why.... it helps to the ambience. Everyone was "business casual" attire.The setting is an old style dining rail car. The soup was so good , as was the duck and the chocolate dessert. Wonderful service too!
Back to the buffet rooms. a big Hi to Clemente and Javier. Excellent staff that would take time to chat and ask questions about you. They would remember your drinks the next time they saw you and greet you warmly.
The entertainment was good and was held in an air conditioned theatre. There is a bar inside the theatre and a bartender that made "good" drinks. The show staff can also be found through out the day as the entertainment staff in the pool and other areas. Alexx and Bryan were very friendly and a pleasure to meet. Take the time to visit with the entertainment crew. They stand outside the buffet room after 6:30 or so, and invite you to the show. We had a Boogie Nights show, a Grammys show, a Mexican show and even a fun night where couples were invited on the stage for some "adult" antics.
The pools were nice but as others have stated, crowded with children at the swim up bar. Maybe another shaded area in the water is needed to separate the kids area from an area where adults can congregate. The activities were good. Wished there would be more use of the activity pool. Basketball was fun but volleyball with a yoga ball???. They seemed to have a time limit on most activities. Two games of volleyball and that was it. Two games of bingo, and that was it. Otherwise, we had fun.
We enjoyed the cigar room once and really liked the entertainment in the large bar area right beside it. Good music and good bar service. The billiards room was always busy and right beside it is a little gem of a coffee shop. Iced coffees were great!
There is a children's play area with a waterpark activity area and a play area in sand. There is also an indoor activity center.
It is a good distance from the airport, but worth the trip. We plan on visiting again. Cheers!!

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Tequila4mePls
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments on our restaurants, the nightly shows, and the good bar service. We will happily share your comments with all the staff and congratulate Max, Alex, Clemente, Javier, Bryan, because they contributed to making your stay special.

It is gratifying to understand from your comments that you intend to return to our hotel, and thus, we look forward to being able to offer you our hospitality again!

Best regards!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#18 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Iberostar Playa Mita? Share your experiences!