“Great Resort”

Iberostar Playa Mita
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I will start this review saying that I have done 9 all inclusives around mexico and cuba, and worked as a travel agent for 8 years.My mom and I stayed here for a week June 7th-14th on a sell off trip. My mom uses a walker to get around, and we found this resort very accomadating. We stayed in a ocean view room, beds were very comfortable, and the view was over looking the pool and then on to the ocean.
Layout of this resort was very well planned, not to big and not to small, lots of comfortable beach chairs to lounge around and lots of shade. ( if anything too much shade, i like alot of sun)
The food was good, breakfast buffet had many options, loved the fresh fruit and juices available, lunch by the pool was ok, I would have liked a few more options. All the restaurants were decent as well, with the gourmet and japanese being my favourites. The mexican resturant was ok, the service wasn't the greatest, but I think it was because of new staff.
The service I had here was probably the best service I have ever had at an all inclusive, they remembered your name and would go out of their way to say hi or to help you with something. Shout out to Daniel in the buffet.. Moises with the star friends, he does the beach volleyball and water aerobics and was extremeley friendly, Also Carol the waitress by the pool, who would fill up my water and or drink everytime she walked by, she even gave me a hug on the last day. Alex at the swimup bar, he is the best bartender!
The Bar and lounge area they have looking over the ocean has the most beautiful sunsets, they should keep this bar open later for people to relax and enjoy, they have comfortable outdoor couches and chairs.
The Beach was beautiful for the pacific side!! I usually travel to the mayan riverea and was pleasantly surprised, very secluded, sand was a nice colour and ocean was clear for swimming.
I would recommend this resort for young families there were alot of young kids. Not really a romance resort.
The gym here is also better then most I have seen at all inclusives, however they should keep the ac down a bit more then 26 degrees! It was very hot! lots of machines, a few free hand weights and cardio equipment
I never go back to the same place, but would consider taking my kids back here.

13  Thank Melodie R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Playa Mita, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear client,

On behalf of the staff from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita and the Management team, we would like to thank you for choosing us to spend a great holiday at our hotel.
It is gratifying to hear that you had a wonderful time in our resort with your mom. Thank you for having mentioned all the wonderful options that our hotel has, such as the comfortable lounge chairs at the pool, our main buffet and the option our guests can find and all the great activities by the pool with our Star Friends.

In regard to the Mexican services we would like to apologise if we were not able to give you the service that you deserve and expected, be sure that we take seriously your review and we will work on it with our Kitchen and Restaurants staff.

Also, we will inform Daniel, Moises, Carol and Alex that they had contributed to your happiness during your stay.

We hope to seeing you again at Playa Mita soon.

Best regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (3,230)

Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and two children (ages 5 and 10) had the best vacation ever. The staff and location of the this hotel is ideal for the perfect vacation. We did not have to worry about anything. Everyone, made our stay a true restful vacation. Special mention to Moises (activities) and Wendy (poolside hostess) for always looking out for my family and I. The food, drinks and daily buffet are a 10+. We will definitely make Iberostar Punta de Mita a family tradition!

1  Thank Carlos Antonio ... R

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Playa Mita to spend your holiday.

We are glad to read that you had the best vacation ever, this kind of review helps us to keep our staff motivated day by day. We can assure you that we will congratulate Moises and
Wendy as they have formed part of your happiness.

We hope to see you again at Playa Mita.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were greeted at the Front Desk by Issa who took exemplary care of us and by Victor who brought our bags to/from our room. Very happy and helpful. Major kudos to Miguel in the restaurants who always went out of his way to make sure we had a favorable dining experience and of course, thanks to Moses for the great entertainment and exercise. He always has a smile on his face.

The room facing the ocean was phenomenal and very quiet. The breakfast buffet was great and we ate at the French, Steak and Japanese restaurants as our specialties. Our family had a mix of favorites of French and Japanese restaurants and the Steak restaurant for the desserts. The lunch buffets could have used a bit more variety.

The guys who worked the beach area were very helpful. We took kayaks out and spent a lot of time boogie boarding. The waves are perfect for the boogie boards and body surfing. My husband took the introductory scuba diving class and is excited to go back and do a discovery dive.

Overall a fabulous vacation. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: The Ocean Views are worth it. A bit of a walk back to the main buffet and restaurants but definitel...
3  Thank Diane J

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing and sharing with the online community your review.
We are glad to hear that you had a great time in our resort, do not hesitate that we will congratulate the staff for their wonderful job during your stay, in special to Isis at the front desk, Victor, Miguel, Moises and the Dressel Divers' staff.

It is great to know that our food quality exceeded your expectations, be sure that we are always doing our best to overpass our guests’ expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

All I can say is wow, I would rate this resort in the top 3 of the all-inclusive resorts (25) we have stayed at over the years. Yes they still have some bugs to work out, but it is clean, the golf course is great, the beach is great for walking and the food was overall very good.
Went there the last week of April partly to celebrate my husband's birthday, they treated him well for that, balloons and champagne in the room.
Some comments where it could be improved....the rooftop deck would make more sense if it were to stay open later, sundown is 8:30 but the bar closes @ 8:00, it is a perfect place to sit and watch the sun go down, just get there early if you want a drink.
The swim-up bar was almost always full of children ordering slushy drinks so adults had to wait for service, perhaps an idea to serve the slushy drinks in the kids area and allow the adults adult time?
Will however definitely return to this resort.
Great service from Alex at the bar and Aleex in Customer relations

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Shirleyjeb
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Playa Mita, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Staff we would like to thank you for sharing with us and the online community your review.

It is gratifying to hear that our resort is one of your top 3, this kind of review helps us to keep our staff motivated day by day.

We appreciate your choice of hotel for this special celebration and we are happy to know that you and your husband have enjoyed the amenity we sent to him on his day.

We would like to let you know that we have extended the Lounge bar time during this summer season, our guests will be able to enjoy the sunset in our Ocean Front Terrace and perhaps a few cocktails before going to sleep.

We hope we see you again at Playa Mita soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We travelled May 31st to Iberostar Playa Mita from Vancouver Canada with Air Transat vacations. We are a couple (very young minded boomers) and have travelled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean always staying at 4-1/2 - 5 star resorts.
We were taken by taxi from Puerto Vallarta airport as we were the only couple going to the Iberostar Playa Mita.
We had booked Air Transat Ocean View Pacific Club room (we upgraded before leaving Canada for $140 for the week) and were given a top floor (4th) room in Building 2 next to the Ocean Front and Spa Rooms (Andres on reception is the most efficient and pleasant guy and made sure we were happy with our room. We had a wonderful view of the ocean, pools and mountains! Our room was lovely with a welcome gift of a bottle of Tequila and a bowl of fruit waiting for us, along with cotton bath robes. The bathroom had a large double shower (no tub - which we didn't want anyway), granite counters, wall mounted magnifying mirror, shampoo, body wash, body lotion and also in the shower a wall mounted shampoo and conditioner dispenser. Towels were replenished daily and sometimes twice a day when we had the turn-down service (sometimes we left the "do not disturb" card on our door and then they just leave a note under the door to say they came but could not do the turn down service.

The elevator on our floor went directly down to the beach, which we enjoyed very much - each morning taking a long walk before breakfast. Beach is very clean although some days the waves were to high for people to swim (we are not ocean people and prefer the pool). They don't have palapas on the beach but we saw the attendants putting up umbrellas for the beach sun worshippers.

There are three pools, the largest was where they did the daily activities (which we did not join in with but was great fun to watch - those guys are hilarious!). A smaller pool attached to the large pool which is more of a quiet place and then a separate sports (water basketball etc) pool.
The main buffet food was delicious and the best a la carte was the Pacific Express. A special mention and thanks goes to Tomas, Bell Captain, Raul,Alejandro, Gustav, Mario, Daniel x 2 at the Buffet, Gabriel at the Mexican and Veronica our ever smiling and efficient housekeeper.

Shows were first class and we cannot praise this hotel enough for making our vacation such a memorable one. It is perfect for families and couples. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Marg H

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the IBEROSTAR Punta Mita. We appreciate the time invested in sharing your comments regarding your stay at our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you have had an marvelous experience enjoying our hotel facilities, food, your walks on the beach and the splendid ocean views from the hotel. Reading your comments motivates us to continue improving and giving our best.

We will congratulate our staff, in particular Andrés, Tomas, Raul, Alejandro, Gustavo, Mario, Daniel, Gabriel and Veronica as they have formed part of your happiness during your stay, they will feel proud to read your nice words.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Kind regards from Playa Mita,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I just returned from my 21st visit to an Iberostar hotel. Why? Because Iberostar knows how to do it right. And once again they proved me right. It is a well decorated hotel and layout is easy to get around. There are elevators to get from one level to another. Rooms are standard but beds were very comfortable. It is worth the upgrade to get an ocean view. What makes Iberostar is the people they employ and train. From the beginning the bell captains, Tomas and Max made us feel special. They seemed to look after us more carefully being we were two women travelling alone. I was impressed when entering our room and discovering that our safe was not working properly that Max paged security who immediately appeared and fixed the problem. Let me tell you this is not usually the case. We only did the buffet our first night and it was adequate. The breakfast there each morning included an omelet bar and freshly squeezed juices. We usually did lunch pool side and were happy. Our remaining nights we did all the specialty restaurants. Reservations were no problem. We repeated our two favorites twice. The Pacific Express is a must. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere is incredible. We also did two nights at the steak house. We heard all kinds of warnings about the steak but we were more than satisfied and we're two Texans who know a good steak dinner. Here we met another excellent employee, Jean Pierre, who seemed to be the manager. He made us feel extra special on both visits. Drinks were hit and miss until we got to know the amazing Alex at the swim up bar. I told him I expected to return and find him managing the bars. He would have our drinks ready when he saw us coming and even delivered them a time or two pool side to us. There were many more outstanding employees who were eager to please. Of course, like any place else, there were a few lemons in the bunch. But I credit that to inexperience and in need of a little more training. The vendors can be rather annoying at the beach but are polite when you get the message across that you're not buying anything. Umbrellas are available for the asking. Don't miss the sunsets over the Pacific Ocean at the "Sea Soul" lounge. Also visit the spa. There is no charge for the water facilities and you will leave refreshed. There is a well equipped gym next to it. Wifi works excellently at the pool and even beach side and is free. Ask the concierge for the code. Nightly pianist in the lobby bar makes for a pleasant end to the evening.
I only saw two negatives while there. One was the nightly shows. We made it to three performances and only the Mexican Folk dancers were worth staying up for. I have seen how hard the entertainment staff works in other hotels and these performers are not bringing their best to the performance. Another drawback to the hotel is its distance from excursion sites. This makes them more pricey and involves transfers from one mode of transportation to another. Heard one story of a couple being let out of a cab on the side of the road before daylight. This possibility definitely kept my daughter and I from trying an excursion. This will probably improve as tourism improves for the area. We did make the trip to Sayulita. It costs us $30 each way.
The drive was beautiful and the town was pretty. Lots of surfers there enjoying the beach. Unique shops that weren't the standard tourist junk. Our cab driver actually waited for us the three hours we were there and had the car cold when we returned.
I'm always asked when planning a trip, "Is it safe to travel to Mexico?" Well I can say I've been to the Yucatan many times and now to Puerto Vallarta and feel as safe as anywhere. Our transfer person called us by name when we exited the hotel. Our cab drivers communicated in excellent English. Airport personnel were more than helpful with unskilled travelers. I will be going back and most likely to Iberostar Playa Mita.

Room Tip: I paid extra for ocean view which basically gets you off ground level. We were on the fourth floor...
4  Thank bettybubbles75

Dear Guest,

Please receive our warm greetings from IBEROSTAR Playa Mita.

We would like to thank you sharing your excellent experience at our resort.
It is a pleasure to hear that you had a wonderful holiday, thanks to the greatest job from our staff, especially Max and Thomas the bellboys.

As you mentioned on your review, our hotel offers to all our guests the best food quality and lovely areas to relax but you can have fun too and enjoy yourself with our activities team.
We will congratulate Max, Thomas, Jean Pierre and Alex for being part of your happiness during your stay.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We loved our experience here! The hotel is relatively new and very well-maintained - nice rooms, excellent view of the pool & ocean, nice furnishings, and twice-a-day room cleaning. Excelletn kids' pool with water slides, fun kids' area. Very nice theme restaurants, good quality of buffet meals! Overall, service was fantastic - everyone was very accommodating of special requests, eager to please, and always served with a smile! We will definitely return based on our experience!

1  Thank Rahul B

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBERSTAR Playa Mita for your vacations.

It is gratifying to hear that you had an excellent experience with us and our food, areas and staff services were of your liking and overpassed your expectations, be sure that we will congratulate the staff for their great job.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Meson de Mita
Hotel Meson de Mita
#10 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita
Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita
#1 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Iberostar Playa Mita? Share your experiences!