“Wonderful hotel with top of the line potential”

Iberostar Playa Mita
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hopkins, Minnesota
“Wonderful hotel with top of the line potential”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I just returned from a weeks stay at the new Iberostar property in Playa Mita, Mexico. Overall I can say that this was one of the better Mexico vacations I have had in the last few years (though it was not hard to better the Riu Jalisco in Puerto Vallarta---last year's resort). The Iberostar property just opened in Dec of 2013. That being the case, 98% of the staff is on board to securing great word of mouth referrals and hence is on top of their game. The property itself is beautiful! It is located about a 35 minute cab ride outside of Puerto Vallarta from the airport. I highly recommend you do NOT take a bus if you are booking a vacation package. Pay the extra 100 bucks and secure private transfer. This will shorten your trip considerably! The property is secluded for the most part....there is a new resort being built next store, but other than that there isn't much out there. If you want to do activities in town I'd suggesting staying elsewhere or being ready to shell out about 100 bucks round trip and an hour and a half of your day. If your idea of a great vacation is spending time doing nothing but relaxing, enjoying great service, a wonderful pool, wonderful liquor / drink options and good food, than this is the place for you.
The following are things I think you should know if you are going to be staying at the Iberostar Playa Mita or considering it. This is a bit long, but everything I wish I knew before I went:

1. Do not pay the extra for the standard ocean view rooms. They really are not that great of a view and only differ from the standard tropical by floor---higher floors are a better view. In my mind, the view was not worth the extra cost.
2. The pool is cold. At least it was when I was there. (Jan 27-Feb 2nd). The pool is NOT heated which is really unacceptable when you think of the amount of money the property put into the pool itself. But in the winter months the temp still gets down in the 50s and 60s at night and a lot of heat is lost. The water was bearable but I found myself unable to enjoy the swim-up bar because it was too cold.
3. The front desk staff was the least enjoyable part of my trip. They seem to be in their own world up there and are really not the most welcoming. (I had a problem with my room from the start and that problem ate up 3 hours of my afternoon before I was finally settled in the correct room...and the front desk never apologized or called to see if I was settled and happy. My sister's family had a very similar experience. The jest of it is that the front desk is the gateway to the hotel and your first impression may not be good. Mine was not. Luckily everything else improved tremendously! (also, the hotel was booked at about only 40% capacity when I was there and yet they still were asking full price for upgrades. This is not sound business...lower the asking price for upgrades and everyone wins if the hotel is empty).
4. The buffet staff are the best bunch of workers I have ever seen. They are the most polite and hard working staff I have come across in 8 years of going to the area. The breakfast and lunch options were great. The fruit is amazing. The food overall is just plain excellent. I especially enjoyed the friendship of Octavia and his colleagues. (The workers are great with kids as well). I cannot say enough about the service. I did not enjoy the buffet at night so I cannot comment on the food there.
5. The restaurants are wonderful. I highly, highly recommend the Japanese restaurant. For some reason that was the easiest to get reservations at and it should be the hardest---it had the best food and the best service and great coffee drinks/presentation at the end. While I generally do not like Hibachi all that much, I cannot say enough about this option. The steak house is also very good---I ate there twice and the meat was always cooked to perfection with great flavor. Don't expect a Manny's or Shula's like steak, but do expect excellent service and great food. The Mexican restaurant was probably the most disappointing from a taste perspective---but that may be because as an American I am overly used to Mexican restaurants having the combo platters and Americanized meals. The meals here were clearly more authentic. That being as it may, I see lots of room for improvement on the taste of food here. The train dinning experience is touted as the best---and the food really is amazingly good. The catch is, the way the train restaurant is run is so frustratingly slow and disoriented, that despite the great food I was literally crawling out of my chair ready to leave on each visit. (They waiter basically has to do everything and they seem to book in blocks and serve in blocks. The inefficiency at this restaurant is amazing. They really have some work to do here because the food has the potential to make this place the best option).
6). The Liquor options were great. Many top shelf items. Not as good as a Sandals resort, but close. And definitely better than most all inclusive as far as liquor options go. The lobby bar makes the best drinks. The pool bars are good. There is a beautiful bar that looks out at the ocean above the ocean side suites that closes way too early...if this place stayed open till sunset and beyond, I can promise it would be the busiest at the resort.
7). The entertainment staff is great. They can be a little pushy to try and get you involved, but they are just doing their job and will respect you if you are honest and tell them no thank you. They'll come and ask again the next go around, but always in fun. The kids club worker was the best---my niece and nephew thought she was amazing. Geraldo is a wonderfully personable individual. The event staff works ridiculous hours---long and hard---from like 8AM to 11:30 PM. They staff the pools and whatnot and then provide the entertainment at night.
8). The evening entertainment is pretty good when compared to other places. They work hard and the theater is actually state of the art from what I have seen. Give it a chance---we did and we ended up going back a few nights---that is unheard of for my group. The lobby bar also has a wonderful piano player early on---very talented and a good band later in the night.
9). If you like to lay on the ocean beach or swim in the ocean, I do not think this is the best place for you. The option in there, but the waves are huge and the rip tide can be intense. (Remember there isn't the bay to lessen the wave activity). My niece would also point out that the ocean didn't have any shells for her to pick up on the beach :) Personally I laid around on a open, flat deck that looked out into the ocean. This was the most beautiful spot on the whole property. Also note that the lounge chairs on the property (not on the beach which are the typical plastic and less comfortable ones) were the best! Very nice, fully reclining, clean and incredibly comfortable.
10). Enjoy your trip! This place is good enough where I'd go back. I can't say that about many resorts when you consider all the options one has.

Room Tip: If you can afford the ocean side suites---they are amazing. Otherwise save the money and just get a...
3 Thank Travis G
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Playa Mita, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Travis G

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor about how your holiday went at our hotel.

Please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

Thank you again for expressing your opinion and for giving us the opportunity of being your host, needless to say that we will be more than happy to welcome you in your next visit here at this little slice of paradise.

Receive a warm greeting and a friendly HOLA from Iberostar Playa Mita.

All the best!!
Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at Iberostar Playa Mita from Jan 23-30, ( 2 family with young kids from 3-7),it was a great experience.
The ride from airport to resort was a bit long (1hr 20 min) but well worth it.

The resort is very clean all over, staff are friendly and helpful and well trained, the entertainment is beyond expectation, the food is ok, the pool is very nice. Its 24/7 room service and rooms get cleaned at least 2 times a day and mini bar get filled.

The beach is a private beach.. spectacular scenery … well maintained and clean. There is a mini grill restaurant at the beach bar that makes burgers and fries and… that helped us a lot with kids as we could just enjoy a day at beach and eat and drink there.

Wi-Fi was available almost throughout all the resort which was again lifesaver when you travel with kids.

I liked the little coffee room and cigar lunge .. very cozy

The lobby bar was great also with live music at nights and the singer was great

I wish I knew the name of the staff but here is a big cheer for all the entertainment people , cleaning people and server and…

Overall it exceeded my expectation

Negative: The bed mattress was not comfortable and the mattress cover was not breathable which made the bed hot

Room Tip: ocean view rooms well worth the money
2 Thank K S
Dear KS

We are delighted to read your positives comments. Thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host and we are so grateful for all your lovely comments about our premises and the staff.

It is so important for us to know our guests' opinions and realize that we, as a team, are accomplishing our most important mission, which is exceeding our guests' expectations.

We will congratulate and share your comments with all the departments that they have helped towards making your holiday special.

We look forward to being able to offer you our hospitality again at our hotel.

West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My dh and I stayed at the Iberostar Playa Mita from 26 Jan. to 30 Jan. This was our first trip to the Pacific Coast of Mexico, and we were looking forward to it - we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. As a note, this was our 5th Iberostar, and we've also been to Dreams and Grand Bahia resorts in Mexico as well. We had a direct flight (charter for Funjet on AirTran. Note that AirTran was fine, Funjet was not. Never again, we 0/2 on Funjet, long boring story). We arrived in Puerto Vallarta, plowed through the gauntlet of timeshare folks on the way out of the airport (just look like you are on a mission and ignore them, you'll be fine). Found our transfer (IslandSun, very professional and friendly), and we were off.

After several stops on the way and a beautiful drive through the very lush terrain on the way to the resort, we arrived about and hour and 25 minutes later. (a direct transfer on the way back to the airport took about 45 minutes). We were served drinks at check-in, which went smoothly. The lobby is gorgeous, and the outdoor spaces are landscaped really nicely. There are a lot of nooks and crannies that have comfy chairs to hang out in.

When we checked in, the resort was only at 15% capacity - it was pretty quiet. During the 5 days we were there, occupancy increased to 45%, we were told. With that, there was no waiting in line for anything, and no towel game was played (nice!).

Room: Very nice. We were upgraded to an ocean view room as a deal with our travel agent. I emailed the week before to ask for a room with a tub (not all have them) and a king bed, a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, and told the staff it was our anniversary. All requests were granted, and there was a plate of fresh fruit and a large bottle of tequila in the room when we entered. The room was spotless, and everything was really new (see pictures). The bed was good - relatively firm, but not board-stiff as we've experienced at other resorts. Plenty of towels, all new and well laundered. The shower and tub were large and had nice fixtures. Note the that hairdryer was packed in a cloth bag, similar to other nice hotels - this resort does not have the lame in-the-wall hairdryer that has little heat or power, which was great. The bathroom also has a shaving mirror. Cloth robes were supplied in the closet. A flat screen tv with cable is provided as well, along with an alarm clock. The room is relatively well lit, with bedside lamps that are easily turned on and off. The minibar was well stocked with beer and nonalcoholic beverages, and was restocked daily.

Staff: All I can say is, wow! Everyone was really trying hard to be helpful and friendly - this was our best experience with staff at an all-inclusive resort. Rooms were cleaned really well, but times for cleaning varied - sometimes our room was cleaned right away, while other times it was not cleaned until near the end of the day. Turndown service was provided most nights - one night, we had a terrific towel sculpture with chocolates all over it. Love that... We did tip in pesos - 50 each day for cleaning, 20 for turndown, and 50 pesos every couple of drinks if we had the same server. We also left 20-50 for each meal. We started off the week with 1000 pesos, and would exchange them every so often at the front desk for smaller denominations for tipping. Also, there were not one but TWO concierges with whom you could book dinner reservations, which was really great - their times were not limited as well, unlike some of the other Iberostar resorts. Although we were only supposed to have one reservation at a specialty restaurant, because occupancy was low, we were able to book for three out of the four nights. (More on that below). The Star Friends (entertainment staff) were active and friendly, but not pushy - there was something going on every 1/2 hour; low occupancy makes it harder for them, but by mid-week when there were more people, activities were more well-attended.

Facilities: We like the Iberostar brand of resorts, but this place was SHINY! It was great that everything was new, and it was meticulously maintained. There are several pools, including an adults-only pool and a kids area. Lots of deck chairs, and these were of better quality than the chairs we've used at other Iberostar resorts. All had nice cushions and were clean. As you have probably read, there are no palapas on the beach - the tide comes right up to the dunes. As far as the beach, the area directly in front of the oceanfront rooms is not developed yet - we were told it is conservation land that the resort does not have permission to develop. This is a bit limiting, and if this does not change, I can't imagine palapas being available down there any time soon. Large moveable beach umbrellas would be good...So, there are plenty of deck chairs around the pool, and lots of palapas for shade (plus other chairs in the sun). As the pool area is several stories above the ocean, there is a very large area of deck chairs overlooking the sea, along with wonderful lounging furniture and tables near the patio bar - we sat up hear one night to watch the sun go down behind the mountain (and were surprised that there were not more people, but as we also had a fantastic sunset view from the balcony in our room, I can understand that...).

Restaurants/food/drinks: The main dining room is very nice; the buffet was quite average to very good. The amount of food that was being served was understandably less, considering the occupancy level - that changed as the week went on. However, I never went hungry - the fresh fruit was great, desserts were okay, and they always had a large selection of charcuterie for Europeans. (However, the guests were primarily American or Canadian). Variety was variable - some days, there were quite a lot of choices, while others, not so much. The size of the buffet is interesting - when occupancy does go up, they can obviously increase the number of surfaces on which food is served, but the room itself isn't very large - so, it might get a bit crowded. But that's just conjecture. The snack bar had a more limited menu for lunch, but is open air, which is nice. When we were there, they finished putting up bird netting to prevent wildlife from getting in - that is an issue at a number of the resorts we've visited.

For specialty restaurants, we first went to Pacific Express (I don't like that name, it sounds like Chinese fast food to me), which is served in a vintage train car motif. The dinner was very nice, food was from good to very good, fusion cuisine. You choose an appetizer, an entrée, and a dessert. Portions were small, but flavorful. Service was also good.

Next, we went to the Japanese restaurant, which served food teppanyaki-style. Several different kinds of sushi were brought as an appetizer, and you could order from two different soups (miso or seafood spinach), and a number of entrees grilled to order in front of us. A choice of a number of desserts was given as well (banana tempura, yay!). My dh and I had the octopus and shrimp, which was delicious. The chef was great with knife skills and showmanship; this was nicely done, no saki-drinking contests here. Again, service was also good.

Finally, we went to the Mexican restaurant, my least favorite of the three; the food was just average. Appetizers were served buffet-style, while entrees and desserts were ordered off the menu, Although the appetizers were pretty good, the entrée was very mediocre, and I didn't finish it.

Drinks: not particularly heavy on the alcohol for the pre-made drinks, but you could ask for extra whatever to be added; the bartenders were willing to make drinks to order, On our major pool day, the bartender at the pool realized I like caipirinhas, and kept them coming, plus altered the recipe slightly to my liking. The lobby bar appeared to have a greater selection of higher end liquor than the other bars. Again, service was delivered with a smile.

Theater: The Iberostar resorts all offer live shows most nights, which begin at 9:30 pm. Now, we often go expecting that there is somewhat of a "cheese" factor, at least in some of the shows. We saw two shows here: Broadway Showtunes, and Las Vegas. The dancers for the Broadway show were quite good, but the singers varied (Important to remember: English is a second language for most of the singers...). The Las Vegas show was a bit more cheesy - Michael Jackson was good, but the Jerry Lewis bit was not. Really, not. Shows last about an hour. If you are looking for rocking nightlife, this is not he place for you. However, for families and older couples, this is a nice fit.

Dive shop: Yes, there is a Dressel Divers dive shop on the premises. we booked a what watching tour from the shop. There is no pier at this resort (one of the major reasons why it does not get five stars from me), so to get to the boat (moored out a ways from the beach), you are taken out by jet ski. This was hilarious and, frankly, a blast. My husband and I were the only people on the boat besides the captain (Jose) and his mate. We had our own private whale watching tour for 3 1/2 hours, and saw a ton of whales - it was incredible. We loved not having to get on a bus and waste an hour each way driving to and from Nuevo Vallarta on a bus, and could spend at time on the beach or at the pool instead. We were treated very well - they are not doing too much in terms of publicity yet, but I highly recommend doing an excursion or two with this shop. My dh also went diving to a newly marked site in the bay, out from the resort's beach - he saw, as Kevin the divemaster said, "fish soup" - tons of schooling fish, all over. DH always has positive experiences and good things to say about the staff at Dressel dive shops, and this was no exception - they are friendly and knowledgeable, yet very aware of safety as well. Bonus: all the equipment is brand new. :)

So, why four stars instead of five? (I would have given this resort four and 1/2 stars if I could...). No pier, and a beach that has no shade (I love the beach...). Also, currently, the cab companies charge an arm and a leg to go into town - hopefully this will change as more excursions become available through the resort.

Would we go back? Absolutely - we had a great time.

Room Tip: Room 2205 has a great view of the sunset - go for the third or fourth floors for the best views.
8 Thank lottosal
Dear Lottosal

We wish to extend warm greetings from Iberostar Playa Mita and thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us; it is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations in regards of the service provided by our dedicated staff.

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our hotel to celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary and make it a memorable one and experience a true vacation in paradise.

Regarding the shade on the beach, the high tide does not allow us to set wood palapas on the beach, but we are expecting beach umbrellas to arrive soon to be able to provide this service to our guests.

Thank you again for expressing your opinion and it will be our pleasure to welcome you in your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Playa Mita for 11 days mid-January, and had a fantastic time. We've been on Mexican winter vacations more than a dozen times, and this will be the first place we will return to. The property, staff, food, value.......all top notch. Only 20ish% occupied during our stay.

The weather was fantastic all 11 days..............cloudless or nearly cloudless every day, and always in the low to mid 80 degrees every day. Evenings not cool enough to need a sweater on the property........maybe down on the beach at night you'd need one.

My husband discovered this place last winter while golfing at Litibu, which is right there a short golf cart ride away. He loved the course and noticed this new hotel being built, so we decided to try it out this year. Had never stayed at a hotel just built and never reviewed, but were excited about trying a brand new property.

It really is nice to stay in a room with a brand new TV, brand new bed, brand new furniture.....every pool chair is brand new, all the restaurant furniture brand new, etc...... We are anxious to see the hotel again in a year once they have fine-tuned things.

The hotel is built into and up on a cliff........so there are pure ocean-view rooms built into the cliff, and two hotel wings built up on the cliff that all have semi ocean views...........we stayed in the north wing on the 4th floor and had a great view of the property and partial ocean view. We'd be thrilled to get the same room again. If you book a true full ocean view, you'll have an amazing view and be very close to the beach, but you'll have longer walks to the restaurants. Also make sure you don't get on the ground floor of the ocean view building........for now at least there are large (8-10 ft) mounds of dirt that will totally block your ocean view. They have plans for those mounds, and we're curious what they will look like in the future.

The real genius of the property design is that with the different elevations of the cliff-top property, you nearly always have a nice view of the ocean. Nice views from both pools, various activity areas, the steakhouse restaurant (also lunch buffet), the ocean-side of the main lobby, and of course the amazing roof-top bar that is built on top of the full ocean view room section. We loved hanging out at the roof-top bar every evening before dinner, having a drink and watching the sunset. Really awesome! Best bar we've seen in Mexico and Samuel was an excellent bartender. We also saw the hump-back whales quite often.

The staff was also the best we've seen. Carlos at the pool bar is super friendly and always smiling, along with Francisco. Wendy brought us drinks at the pool area most days and is as nice as a server can be. Hector runs the lobby lounge bar, and is not at all shy about filling your glass. And like other reviewers have mentioned, they have good liquor here. We've never had better red wine than at this place, and my husband enjoyed red and black label scotch every night.

Max and Victor were awesome bellboys..............my husband got a ride to the golf course all 3 times he played. They also have a locker area you can store your clubs in. We thought it interesting that the day you check in, they show you the room before bringing up your luggage to make sure you are satisfied. Check-in was quick and easy.

The entertainment at this place is the best we've seen. They have real professional dancers nearly every night..........very attractive ladies and guys. Plus 3 professional singers that were outstanding. Plus a live 7 piece band!!!

Around the pool, we enjoyed daily activities with Geraldo, Moises, Carlos-Armando, Martin,Brian and others. Make sure you do the bike trip with Carlos.........he's very knowledgeable about wild life and various plants.

Here are some misc comments:

We thought the pool temperature was fine. Actually refreshing to cool off after baking in the sun, a beach walk, or after my husband came back from golfing.

Food is average to a little above average. We're not picky eaters and have no complaints. My husband loved the skirt steaks served nearly every day at the lunch buffet, and also loved all the seafood type dishes at the evening buffet. I had an amazing salad every day for lunch and really enjoyed the very fresh vegetables. You can eat very healthy here if you want, or indulge. We have never found desserts to be very good in Mexico, but this place had very good ice cream at lunch and dinner. We tried all 4 restaurants........steakhouse pretty good, Japanese restaurant very good, Mexican just ok, and the Pacific Express was our least favorite other than the amazing Chocolate Surprise dessert I ordered and had to protect from my husband taking it. I also loved the asparagus soup. The serving sizes at any gourmet restaurant are just not our style, but we met a few couples that really loved the Pacific Express. The beach bar also makes fresh hamburgers and hot dogs during the afternoon, and that kind of food is better there vs the main lunch buffet by the pool.

We like to tip the hard working servers/bartenders, along with our housekeeper, even though they may not expect it. Looked like most folks did some tipping, but service still seemed fine to those who didn't.

The kids area looks fantastic..........they have their own pool with a water slide, and a supervised area to leave young kids when you need time by yourselves. With the low occupancy during our stay this area didn't get much use but sure looked nice.

Wi-fi was very good nearly everywhere............we are big social media people, and had our iPhones or iPads with us constantly........worked great at the pool, at the lunch buffet, the rooftop bar, the dinner buffet, and even on the beach!! It was not as good in the restaurants or main lobby bar, but not a bit deal. It also worked pretty well in our room..........we met some that had less than perfect connections in their rooms.

Golfing at Litibu was $79 with cart if you booked through the hotel. My husband had his clubs so I don't know what it costs to rent clubs. I rode along with my husband one day and was charged 300 pesos. The course is beautiful, with 3 holes on the ocean. Many holes back in the jungle area, and some of the cart paths go through the jungle where it is a bit dark......really awesome.

We thought the beach was very nice, and spent a good amount of time playing in the waves. Ocean temperature pretty warm, and very little undertow. A departing family gave us their 2 boogie boards which we passed on when we left. The waves break quickly and it's difficult to body surf or use the boards...........still fun.

As other reviewers have mentioned, you're kinda far from towns, and for now it's not a hotel with lots of wild partying going on. We'd probably not bring our young adult kids here for that reason for fear they'd be a bit bored, but for us it was perfect since we mostly just hang out at a resort while on vacation. It took us about 45 minutes to get there from the airport, and were fortunate to have non-stop taxi rides both ways (booked via FunJet). Contrary to other reviwers, we actually liked the 45 minute ride to take in the scenery.

We ordered room service 2 evenings late at night. About a 35 minute wait the first time, and about 25 minutes the second time. We'd read reviews about very long waits and were curious but no problem at all. We also asked several folks we met and all had similar good experiences. The menu is small, but hey when you get the munchies at 11:00 it's no big deal. Would be nice to see more breakfast items though.

Also have to mention how nice the beds are............another "best" we've experienced at a Mexican resort.

To summarize, we really loved the Playa Mita, and it will be the first Mexican resort we will return to. Highly recommended.

5 Thank SharonGreg
Dear SharonGreg,

We are delighted to read all your wonderful comments about our premises and the staff, thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your hosts.

We will happily share your comments with all our staff members; we will always be eager to welcome and pamper you!

Thank you again for being chosen as your favorite destination, hopefully we will have the opportunity again to have you and exceed your expectations one more time in a near future at Iberostar Playa Mita.

All the best from Nayarit,
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I will begin this review by explaining that this was my 12th AI vacation, and I travelled with my wife and 2 children (ages 6 and 4).
I have a pretty good bench mark for what most AI resorts are like, as we have been to everything from a 3.5 star to very legitimate 5 star properties.
We stayed at this resort from Jan 26 - Feb 2.
In my opinion, and in point form, these would be the pro's for this property:
- Excellent staff, overall. Friendly and hard working. Possibly the most friendly staff I have seen at any resort
- Clean & comfortable. As one would expect, everything was clean and new. Including the beds and bedding of course, which made for very comfortable sleeps
- Food was good. The food was all of high quality, and although at times I agree that the selection was somewhat lacking, the food was always of reasonable quality
- Drinks. There was ample selection for drinks at all times, and for the most part, consistent high quality drink selections could be found
- Service. I would guess that the excellent service was at least somewhat related to the low number of occupants at the resort, but the service was always very good. In an entire week I literally did not wait in any line for anything, for more than a minute or maybe 2
- Main Pools. The main pool area was nice. It has a shallow 8' wide section running the length of the pool, which was nice for sitting in, jumping off of, or playing with smaller children in. The main pool also has a "beach style" entry at the end opposite the swim up bar, which is great for kids. The swim up bar was nice, and totally desserted for most of our stay. It remained mostly shaded until the afternoon, and I think most people found it too cold to sit there to enjoy. The "activity pool" was basically right beside the main pool, and this is where the "Star Friends" group would try to get people involved in a game of water polo, or volleybally, or whatever. It was nice that these activities were taken out of the main pool area
- Kids Pool. It was a great touch to have the Aqua Park for the kids. There are (2) slides that take off from an area that is about 6' high, and then another couple slides that take off from the Pirates Ship. Nothing too crazy, but excellent for kids raning from 2 - 6 or so, I would say. My kids liked to play there, but found the water cold, and after a while would always make their way back to the main pool
- "Star Friends". In most places we have visited in the past, the "entertainment staff" were nothing like what we seen here. These people were all excellent. Maya who runs the Kids Club does an excellent job. We also enjoyed time with some of the guys who roped us into the odd game of water volleyball, or water basketball, or kayaking competion, or sandle kicking competion, or soccer ball kicking, or whatever. They were never pushy, and always laughing and having fun with getting people involved. They really did an excellent job
- Beach. Although some parts of the beach developement are not 100% complete, we were able to enjoy ourselves at the beach. There can be a lot of surf at times, which we had a lot of fun with. When the tide is out, there is 100 yards of beach there, which is great for playing, walking or just laying on. Overall, the beach was fine, and will be improved in time I am sure

Con's... Minor items, but some worthy of noting:
- Although there was bottled water provided in your rooms (2 bottles), and re-stocked daily, there didn't seem to be anywhere else in the resort where one could obtain a bottle of water
- The temperature of the pools were a bit cool, and they would both benefit from a bit of supplemental heating. One would expect the kids pool to be warm, as it is only 15" deep, but it is the coldest pool there. Hopefully the resort takes this feed back and looks at some heating option for their pools
- Buffet selection. I found it to be a bit light for suppers, but when you look at the low number of people at the resort, it was probably a resonable amount of selection

I have no regrets about visiting this resort. The people were great, and overall our stay there was a very good experience.
If you go there with the understanding that it is new, and there are a few items that are still being worked on, then you will also likely be very happy here.
We did not really make it to any of the nightly shows, as they started quite late for the age of my children, so I am unable to comment in this regard. We also did not use the golf course, but it is there, and is apparently an excellent course.
My wife enjoyed the Spa Services on day, and it sounds like the facility and treatments there were very good.
Our ride from the air port was 45 - 50 minutes direct, with no stops. Fyi.
The only Al A Carte's we made it to were the Mexiacan and the Steakhouse, and they were hands down, the best suppers we had in the week we were there.
In both Al A Carte's, the appetizers were so good you didn't even need/want the main course...

In summary, if you are looking for a good, clean, quiet resort, with good ammenties, this is a good option.
If you are looking for a party resort in down town Puerto Vallarta, then you don't want to be here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2030, which is ground floor, and is the closest room to the kids and main pool. I...
4 Thank Hale_24
Dear Hale_24

We appreciate very much your high opinion of our premises and the service you received from our staff.

The staff and Management team at Iberostar Playa Mita want you to feel at home and we do our best to serve you with the excellence you deserve. Our commitment is to meet and exceed your expectations and special requirements to make of this stay your best VACATION ever.

In regards to the pool being cold, we will install the pool heater hopefully soon, we cannot confirm the exact date this will be finished, but we are working on it.

Receive a warm greeting!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed Jan 26-Feb 2. We are regulars at All inclusives, this is probably our 8th resort. We have previously stayed at another resort that was new and that resort was awful! The Iberostar was nothing short of fantastic! All the staff were exceptional, the service was non stop. They worked hard to make your vacation memorable. I really liked seeing the staff eating in the restaurants, a sign they are treated well.
The beach is beautiful long walk. Plenty of lounge chairs, big crashing waves and service at our lounge chair. There are crashing waves all day which makes it impossible to do any of the non motorized water sports. I enjoy snorkelling and that is not an option from the hotel beach.
The activities at the pool are great. The pool however was a bit cold, hard for me to get in. There are tons of lounge chairs allowing you many places to sit, sunny, shady, quiet, noisy.
The sitting area up top looking onto the ocean had a great view and the bar there is not busy. It does get really hot during the day at this spot.
The food was phenominal. My husband usually gets stomach issues at the first couple days, but not here. He really enjoyed the fresh made donuts in the morning. We both liked the made to order pasta for lunch and dinner. I enjoyed the fresh tortillas and quite often made tacos, soo good! The salsa and gauc were great. They also had an excellent assortment of cheeses at every meal. This is one resort where we preferred the buffet over the restaurants and we did not get tired of the food after a week. The mexican restaurant was not that great. Steakhouse was alright. The pacfic restaurant was not our favorite either! We decided to skip our night at the Japanese and just eat at the buffet.
We took part in the 10 am bike tour, it was a nice ride. I also did 10:30am yoga most days it was a great stretch and start to my day. My husband used the gym once, it was ok but like most places there are no other people working out, especially when its indoors.
The entertainment at night was pretty good. Made us laugh. Lots of the Star staff from the day are performing at night and they are pretty good!
We would definately return to this resort. This time next year they will be crazy busy, so it was nice to have it a bit quiet without the expensive of no service or terrible food.
I was bothered most nights by the air conditioning, my husband was fine. We didn't do anything off the resort, so I'm not sure about things nearby.

3 Thank CurlyMic
Dear CurlyMic

We wish to extend warm greetings from Iberostar Playa Mita and thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us and for giving us the opportunity of being your host during your holidays and make it a memorable one and experience a true vacation in paradise.

Our commitment is to meet and exceed your expectations so we are thrilled to know that it was accomplished!

Thank you very much for your preference and wonderful comments.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at the hotel form Jan. 25-Feb. o1 2014. Our stay was fantastic. The food was good, rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and helpful .If you was GREAT concierge service talk to Abril Hernandez Galicia, she gave fantastic service. She wanted to insure that our vacation was the most enjoyable possible, and she SUCCEDED

2 Thank ziggy1962
Dear ziggy1962

On behalf of all the hotel staff we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host.

We want to thank you greatly for taking the time to share your great experience with us at Iberostar Playa Mita.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments on our services and our premises. It has always been our main purpose to provide a service that exceeds expectations.

Thank you again for expressing your opinions, we will happily share your comments with the staff, specially Abril who sends you a friendly HOLA!

Receive warm Greetings!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#18 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Iberostar Playa Mita? Share your experiences!