“Like a Cruise Ship on Land”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Like a Cruise Ship on Land”
Reviewed March 30, 2003

We took our boys ages 5 and 7 to Viva for a two week holiday. I can't say enough good things about the resort. It was spotlessly clean; the food was great; the service was top rate; and the evening entertainment was professional and entertaining!! My boys loved the kids' club and a special thanks to Omar who made my youngest son's vacation very special. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. But I would especially recommend it to anyone who has kids. My boys and I will be back next year.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
Reviewed March 29, 2003

We went to Viva Vallarta in November 2002... It was way too far away from Puerto Vallarta, the food was not good except for the hamburgers and omeletes, the staff was nice, however with a few of them it was real obvious they were two faced and just trying to put on a happy face. The workout room was terrible and too hot, and the adult pool sucked. When you are laying in the hot sun, and then try to take a cool dip in the pool, there is nothing worse then continually stepping into hot water! I kept thinking that they would fix it the next day, but no. If you are looking for a cheap vacation this is fine. You can definitely eat, drink and sleep here, but don't expect any bells and whistles.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 27, 2003

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night vacation to Viva Vallarta. I have been to Mexico before, but it was my husband's first visit. We wanted a hassle free vacation and so we chose this all-inclusive. We had a fantastic time!!! The staff was very friendly - those at the water sports sure made us feel at ease. Special thank you to Hugo and German who helped make sure my husband had good instructions for surffing, wind surfing, etc. The best part for us was no needing to worry about anything. Food was always available...I highly recommend the guacamole at the snack bar...drinks were excellent and not at all watered down, the food at the buffet varied, but we sure didn't go hungry. I loved breakfast and our meal at Portofino. The rooms were clean and comfortable - it was obvious they took great care to keep the resort looking its best. I also enjoyed the morning water aerobics, the male instructo was my favorite, but I didn't catch his name. We enjoyed being away from the hubbub, although I know other reviewers found it to be too isolated. If we had stayed a day or 2 longer (which I wish we had) we definitely would have ventured into town. We loved the boogie boarding in the ocean and the availablity of the relax pool - it was truely relaxing. Lots of families/kids at the main pool - if you aren't a beach person and you want to avoid the kids, it could be a problem, but the beach was great - some families, but not overrun with kids. We will definitely return for a longer visit!!

1 Thank travelermcb
Reviewed March 26, 2003

I've been at other all inclusive hotels and this one takes the cake as to why people might be apprehensive about going all inclusive. It was terrible, nobody on the staff cares how the place looks because most or all of the people are not going to tip them. Nobody goes around to pick up the glasses after people are done with their drinks and then you have a million bees swarming around the empty glasses (i got stung on my leg by one, so you can imagine how livid I was!). It is so so so so far from Puerto Vallarta (it's actually in another state, but they don't tell you that) it takes about 45 minutes from downtown Puerto Vallarta to get to the hotel. It was my worst vacation experience i have ever had, and i go to Puerto Vallarta almost twice a year. We figured we would try staying this time in Nuevo Vallarta to try something different. Boy were we wrong, NEVER AGAIN.. Please take my word for it. GO STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed March 24, 2003

I am a 21 year old female and I went to Viva with my 21 year old boyfriend for spring break 2003. Viva Vallarta is a five star hotel and you really feel like your roalty there. The staff will try to make you feel as good as possible they are very, very nice. The resort has great food. A snack bar which you can get nachos, hambugers, hot dogs and fries, then they have a buffet restaurant that has all kind of different food. They also have two restaurants a Mexcian one and an Italian one. Make sure you don't just order the main course at these restaurants because the corses are pretty small. So order an app. main corse and dessert. The drinks are pretty watered down so have lots of them. Don't purchase any trips that require taking a boat unless you know the waves are not going to be huge the day of the trip. I payed for a trip to go snorkeling and we never went because the waves where huge and everyone was throwing up on the boat, and I didn't get my money back. If your a girl and you get your hair braided make sure you have a hat or something to cover your head because I ended up burning my scalp and having my forhead swell up like a baloon. The adult pool has the hot tub going into the pool itself so when you get into the water it's like stepping onto hot soup. The other pools have pretty cold water. I would recomend going Horse back riding with Apple vacations because you ride the horse to a beautiful waterfall, and the pictures come out great. I loved it at Viva Vallarta and would recomend anyone to go there for their vacation.

3 Thank MKW81
Reviewed March 24, 2003

Not living with my kids full time anymore, I wanted this to be a hassle free trip for all of us. It was much more. The resort is tucked away between two Mexican towns that offer a true taste of the culture while the resort provides all the comfort and security of home. The staff were very helpful and kind, if they were not able to help themselves they found someone who could. My son suffered a reaction to the sun and required anti-histamines. Jay, from the gym was more than helpful. I read several reviews here before we left and was pleased to find that the negative ones were written by individuals who are probably never satisfied. If the drinks are watered down they order more!! I found them to be perfectly fine. We all found ourselves suffering from "buffet Madness" in the first few days and have a few lbs to loose now that we are home but all in all the trip was perfect! I WILL go back.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 23, 2003

After reading many reviews about Viva resort, I thought it would be nice to address some of the concerns and give you the fair and balanced assessment of our experiences. I do value other opinions and actually canceled a trip to Boscobel Beaches Resort in Jamaica based on the poor reviews I read on Trip Advisor. Resort Property: The upkeep of the resort is superior. Staff was cleaning the facilities all the time. The rooms are compared to a Marriott Courtyard that are small but very adequate and solid marble throughout. I never experienced any issue with hot water; in fact the showers were great and never ran out of hot water during our stay. Drinks: I never thought the drinks were watered down, in fact if you think they are weak, just ask for a double, the bartenders have absolutely no problem in pouring as much alcohol as you wish. Beach: The beach is beautiful and very rocky, take heed and read what others suggest and bring beach shoes. We did see a young woman cut her heal that required medical attention. Activities: Be prepared to play as much volleyball, aerobics, dancing and Spanish lesson as you can absorb. The staffs kept our children busy all day. Food: Ill be honest in saying the food was just okay. It took a while to become accustom to the way food is prepared in Mexico. You will get plenty to eat but do not expect a Ruth Chris steak. Loosing Your Towel: Keep track of your beach towels. The resort warns you many times that if you loose your beach towel; it will cost you $20. Just be an adult and be responsible for you own towel, I found it ridiculous that people would complain about this when they tell you up front, dont misplace you towel. Summary: The resort is located in Punta Minta. This area is a favorite local location, so yes about 70% of the guests were from Mexico. I found this very cool and which says a lot for the resort. The front desk staff is all business, not friendly but who cares. We just know that the bartenders, activity staff and maids wereesort to get away from it all where you dont have to put up with the issues in Puerto Vallarta. I was also never approached by anyone selling timeshares. I dont know what other reviewers were speaking of when they mentioned this. Yes, I would go back as we did enjoy our stay.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!