“Average Resort, beautiful location, not so great food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Canada
“Average Resort, beautiful location, not so great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

We travelled to Palladium from Nov 20 to Nov 28 with our 9 month old son and 3 year old daughter.

Sunwing
We flew with Sunwing and we confirmed our flight to be early as stated on the internet airport departure status. It was 1.5 hours early so we drove off to the airport only to find that it was not early so we had to stay at the airport for an extra 1.5 hours because of their mistake. The flight attendants were friendly, hot meal was served, free headsets were given and children were given activity set.
Bus Ride
We arrived in Mexico and got on the free bus shuttle to the airport at 3am. The bus was very empty, there were probably only 8 other families/couples on the bus, in which only half of them were going to our resort and the others were going to Riu and we had to drop them off first. It took approx 1 hour to get to our hotel.

Check In ** 2 stars
Check in was very slow – this was ridiculous especially because it was only 4-5 families/couples. They made us each fill out a survey with our information and they said it was for a “draw for a prize”. It took literally 10 minutes for us to fill it out (holding two very tired and cranky kids). The guy at the front desk was very slow in giving us our keys and when he finally did he told us that it was a double bed. I asked him for a king bed and a crib and layaway bed. He said at that time there was no other king beds available. So we went to our room and to our surprise it was a king size bed (I guess they don’t know which rooms are 2 double beds or 1 king bed). They advertize 2 queen beds but their queen beds are actually double beds.
Rooms ****4 stars
The standard rooms are nice and clean – marble tiles in the bathroom and nice colors. The smoking and non smoking rooms are on the same level. There is a damp weird smell in the closets but I mean you’re in a rainforest so what do you expect. Never had any prob with the air-conditioning or bugs. The beds are normal. My 9 month old slept in a crib and my daughter slept in a layaway bed that they brought. The beds are not too hard, they are normal beds. The negative thing about the layout of the hotel is that you have 3 neighbors. You have your neighbor to the side and then you have the 2 neighbors who’s doors are across your doors. This just increased the noise and sound that we heard in the morning and night. In the mornings I would always be woken up by people giggling and laughing in the hallway, or in the middle of the night someone walking through the hallway and talking loudly. We have stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan last month in Riveria Maya and the layout of the hotel was in a way where you only have one door neighbor and across your door is garden area so the noise level is much less.

Restaurants *** 3 stars
Buffet was okay. They did try to make variety but I found their food to not having any taste. Again, comparing it to Catalonia Yucatan, Palladium did not have comparable food or times for the restaurants. Sometimes the buffet or restaurants would be closed because they were having a bbq on the beach. I found this to be very inconvenient because bbq at the beach is first come first serve, and if its full you have to come back when they tell you to. Its nice for them to have bbq on the beach but I don’t think they should close the other restaurants in order to do so.
Buffet, for breakfast we made our own eggs everyday. They have pancakes and French, cereal, bread, cheese, etc. Lunch, there was always a meal with fish, pork, chicken or beef, or vegetarian. We don’t eat regular meat other than fish so we were kind of limited to what we could eat so everyday we ate a different type of fish. You can choose from the fish they have in the buffet or ask the chef to grill it for you. They always had salad, and fruits like watermelon and other things. I got to say that their dessert was fabulous, but their ice cream was very boring. They had an ice cream machine and your choice of vanilla, chocolate or twist – they had bowls with coconut shreds, sprinkles, smarties, pecans, nuts, etc that you could put over your icecream but the flavor was the same every day. Again, compared to Catalonia who always had different flavours of ice cream for all. For dinner they also have a make your own crepery where you can tell the chef what you want inside your crep and they make it infront of you.
Im surprised they never offered mashed potatoes at the buffet, they displayed mashed potatoes one time but it was orange color, im assuming it was SWEET mashed potatoes which we didn’t like.
They have an open buffet near the pools but its technically a snack bar with just hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers and one or two choices of food, watermelon, ice cream.
Mexican restaurant was not air conditioned and there was no ramp so we had to hold the stroller to go into it. The food was good, the soup was delicious and their dessert tray is amazing.
Italian restaurant was nice but they had really weird food like the shrimp still had its head and whiskers on – I don’t know maybe my family isn’t used to “fancy” food like this so we didn’t like it too much. I ordered fettuccini alfredo without the shrimp and it was yummy.
Bambu – is the oriental restaurant, we didn’t have a chance to go because the day that we wanted to actually go, it was closed because there was a bbq on the beach plus its on top of the buffet and the only way you can get there is with stairs and we couldn’t take the stroller with the tired kids so we just didn’t bother trying to go again.
BBQ at the beach, they had this 3 times during the week we were there. They move all the food and the chairs and tables near the sea and its beautiful setting. Its first come first serve so every time we wanted to go we were told that we had to come back in 45 minutes or half an hour so it wasn’t a big deal. The food is the same as it would be at the buffet. The scenery is beautiful.

Room Service **** 4 stars
The cleaning ladies did a great job, they cleaned everyday. They re-stocked the shampoos and Kleenexes daily. Also, you get 2 water bottles and 3 cans of pop restocked daily in the mini fridge. The only thing missing in this category was creative towel art. Compared to Catalonia Yucatan where they had daily towel art on the bed and the bathroom. At Palladium everyday there was a swan art towel in the bathroom.
Food Staff Service **** 4 stars,
They did good job and were friendly, most of them don’t speak English.

Grounds ***** 5 stars
Honestly, I did not think the service or the food at this hotel was anywhere near the 4.5 stars that they say they are. I would more likely give them a 3 stars in the food and service category. The category that Palladium wins in is the grounds and location area. I would give it a solid 5 stars. The place is BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately, there are a lot of stairs and its okay for most people but its hard when you have a double stroller with a sleeping 3 year old and a sleeping 9 month old. But, fortunately there are ramps everywhere except the a la carta restaurants. There is access to the rooms and the zoo, and all around the grounds and the buffet via ramp. The landscaping is beautiful, the view is beautiful (you can see the sea from most of the rooms, even if its not an oceanview room). Lots of flowers, lots of plants (banana tree, olive tree, etc). Very clean grounds, hotel is built on a cliff so the higher up you go the more breathtaking the view. Plus they have little viewing sitting areas that have a canopy seating so you can enjoy the view.
Sea ***** 5 stars
You’re able to go into the water and go swimming, its little bit rocky but much better than most other resorts. In addition they have a wading area that is sea water but its excellent for kids because they can enjoy the sand and the water without having to be so worried about waves and currents.
Pools: **** 4 stars
Theres 2 pools, and a baby pool – lots of chairs in shade, on weekends its very busy with locals. Come Monday it wasn’t busy anymore.
Kids Club/ Babys Club: ** stars
Kids club is for kids aged 4 +, I saw them playing with the staff but the staff member was more concerned with chewing bubble gum and staring at other people than taking care of the children.
They recently opened a baby club for ages 1-3, it’s a small air conditioned room with toys and tv but we never used it since there were no other kids there.

Evening Entertainment *** 3 stars
They tried their best but I found myself bored most of the time. They did a diva show one night and the rest of the nights it was mostly latin entertainment which is nice but after watching it 3 nights in a row, kind of got repetitive. They did a horror show one night, another night they did dancing from around the world – which was mostly latin countries so most of the dancing was similar. The entertainment staff did try very hard but I found the entertainment to be much better at Catalonia Yucatan.

Other stuff…
You can pay 20 pesos per person and take the public bus to Puerto Vallarta downtown, it takes approx 40 minutes. Be prepared to be holding onto your seats because the bus is very old and when it goes 70 km / hr you feel like its going 200 km /hr!
We paid $55 american per person to go to an island. It was 8 hour excursion, we were on the boat for 200 people for approx 2 hours – if you don’t get sea sick then its good to go.
They have a zoo with ostrich, deers, monkey, chickens, etc, they also have a crocodile and snake.
Conclusion:
Palladium is excellent: grounds are well kept, and beautiful scenery
Palladium is average: food, staff service, rooms, entertainment, room service
Palladium is poor: ramp friendly, restaurant variety (they kept closing two restaurants everytime they had a bbq on the beach, so you went from having 1 buffet and 3 a la carte to having 1 buffet, and 1 a la carte choice and the bbq which was technically the buffet food). Front desk service,
Overall I would give this hotel a 3 star (not 4.5 star). The place is beautiful but I did not enjoy the food or nightly entertainment as much as other resorts and for that reason I would give it 3 stars.
Advice I would give to Palladium:
- Add more ramps to go to the restaurants because I saw many people that had strollers and small children
- Add more variety to the buffet food, have mashed potatoes, garlic bread, different flavor of ice cream, different salads, etc
- Make it clear to the people staying at the hotel which restaurants are going to be closed if you decide to close it, don’t just post it on the buffet door so when people go to the buffet they see that it is actually closed. Have a schedule that is easily visible to everyone so they know when and which restaurants/buffet will be closed.
- Put air conditioning or fan in the Mexican restaurant, my family decided not to order the main course because it was too hot for all of us to sit there comfortably.
- Entertainment staff – I know they work very hard and they are amazing but their shows are outdated, do more variety acts that are suitable for people of all ages.
- Have a salt shaker that actually pours salt out of it (on the tables at the restaurant and buffets). Most of the food were saltless so we would want to put salt but it was filled with rice and no matter how much you shoke it nothing came out. We’ve tried over 10 shakers! I know in humid countries they put salt inside the shaker but maybe have packages of salt if that’s the problem.
Any questions, feel free to email me

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Emaya1983
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Dear Emaya1983,
First of all, I would like to thank you in taking your time in explain your vacation in Palladium Vallarta and describe all services that can helps all visitors in their next trips.
I have read attentively all your issues that you said in your trip report, and I would like to mention that it is important for us as hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guest´s expectations. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our gusts help us. There are some issues that we can correct immediately and it is that we will do!! As you know, some points, like ramps or rooms decorations are more difficult to do. Nevertheless we will take note in order to do our best to correct them.
I hope that you decide to spend your next vacation with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

We were fortunate to have been upgraded to 'The Royal Suites without cost' or else we would not have been able to enjoy the perks especially the private beach (bring your sandals as some places are really rocky) and areas that you can actually go to sleep hearing the waves and not the blasting music. I especially love the canopy beds. The staff are great, I can't say enough about the water activity staff from the main part of resort. They are ever so vigilant as I had first hand experience, Fernando as well as my husband came to my aid quite quickly during my boogie boarding mishap - those currents are Strong! If you are looking to get away from the hassle and bustle, and not shopping - the Royal Suites are for you. If you want to explore outside of the resort, there is a local bus which you can take to Bucerias or even to Puerto Vallarta. The food at Punta Mita is good, I especially love their snacks - Mexican Tacos and Shrimp Brochette are the best. At the Resort & Spa , the other restaurants were fair; however, with that being said there were two areas that we liked was the buffet area especially where you could have fresh fish grilled to perfection and the Mexican Restaurant. We did not have a chance to try the Sports & Grill as we were too stuffed.
The only problem that we experienced was with our tour operator as they had us checking out on the 13th of November at 12 pm while we actually didn't leave the resort until the 14th at 1:30 a.m. The management of the resort was not quite consistent with their policy with check out time, some of us were told that there would be a cost for late check out while another couple received late check out without cost. Our magnetic room keys deactivated on the morning of check out which added to our stress of trying to get out on time. The Royal Suites did have complimentary areas for showering and a place to store our belongings until our tour bus arrived. (We do have an issue with Sunwing selling a package that is advertised as 8 days when we actually stayed for 7 because the extra day that they don't mention is travel day.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Innisfil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

We just got back yesterday and I have to say we had a fantastic time! I went with my 11 year-old daughter and my mom and step-dad (Santa on vacation), and we were joined for a few days by a couple of friends of mine. I have absolutely no complaints!

The grounds were beautiful and I really enjoyed the little zoo. I could watch the baby monkey for hours because he is in perpetual motion and never seems to sit still. Yes, there were a lot of stairs, but there were also paths to get where you needed to go. My over 60 Mom had a bit of a hard time, but we just took lots of rest breaks. We are all in better shape now.

The beach is absolutely breathtaking! I spent most of my time there playing in the waves. There are rocky spots on the beach, but there is plenty of rock-free space to play. Try to get there at high tide for more rock-free options. There's also the tide pool on the beach which is rock free and perfect for those who don't like the waves. The watersports are included and we had fun on the Hobie Cat and boogie boards. I was in awe of the surfers.

The main pool is gorgeous and hopping with lots of activities, but you can just chill if that's what you want to do. They had aerobics, water polo, bingo, kayak races and lots of other stuff. There was always something going on. We only went to the adult pool to look around because my 11 year-old was too young to go in. It was also beautiful with a gorgeous view of the ocean, and my step-dad went in and reported it was very warm. We saw some outdoor beds and hammocks along the path up there. It looked very serene but we didn't get a chance to try them out.

We stayed in building 2 and I have no complaints with our room. The fridge didn't work but I didn't care as we only slept in the room and went to change for dinner. I left a note asking for 4 agua por favor and our maid complied for the rest of our stay. The room was always clean when we returned, even after my 11 year-old kept dumping sand everywhere. Our a/c worked perfectly and the maid even kept turning it cooler on me every day.

The food was good - there were always plenty of options and we ate well. It wasn't gourmet food, but I wasn't expecting that for the price we paid. We enjoyed the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. We especially enjoyed the sexy coffee after our meals at the a la cartes. Our Thanksgiving meal of rib-eye steak at the Mexican restaurant was excellent.

The nightly entertainment was good and fun! My favorite was the Moulin Rouge act - I was laughing my butt off. The shows and bands were quite good and I found myself getting into the Mexican music. I never did make it to the disco and I missed the beach party cause I was wiped out from so much fun in the sun during the day.

The staff and the atmosphere was what really stood out to me and made this a wonderful trip. We felt so at home and welcome. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating, even when they were being run ragged. In the morning, I could just walk up to the pool bar and Pablo or Carlos would have my Paloma ready for me without me saying anything besides si. The guys at the lobby bar were absolutely fantastic and friendly and Francia was the BEST WAITRESS EVER in the evenings during the band and shows. She always had a big smile on her face!

I didn't make it to the early breakfast with my Mom, Step-dad and daughter, but they reported their waiter always had their mimosas and juice ready for them when they arrived at 7 am (crazy people) and provided them with impeccable service. My friends and I had a couple of waiters showing us how to balance 2 forks on a pepper shaker with toothpicks. It was so cool!

Overall we had a great time and we would definitely return! The only drawback was that we were having such a good time that we never did make it to any excursions. That's OK, there's always next time.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank Kiara874
Dear Kiara874,
I read your comments about Palladium Vallarta and I would like to thank you for your very good comments about this hotel. I am really glad that you and your family and friends enjoyed your stay in Palladium.
I would like to let you know that we will send that information to all our staff that made that our guest enjoyed their vacations with us. I remember your stay with "santa on vacation", I am pretty sure our staff appreciate your good comments and that you and your family enjoyed your vacations.
Please, let me know if you are planning to come back here and if I can help you with your reservation or anything else

Hoping to meet you
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

It is very beautiful there as you walk thru the jungle in charming paths.The zoo is delightful.Many many stairs (so make sure you are in top shape before you go).Many food choices but food is not really that good.Do not cash any us money there as the front desk takes 20% extra just to change your money.Make sure to bring all amenities with you as gift shop carries very little and what they do have is 3 times the price of anywhere else.Waiters not overly friendly like anywhere else.It is still a beautiful place

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rodeas1
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Rodeas1,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about your vacations in Palladium Resorts. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

In reference to your comments about our restaurants staff and service, I can assure you that we will take note about that in order to correct or improve them. As Palladium Vallarta is an all inclusive, all comments that we receive from food and beverages helps us to know that our guest looking or expecting in their vacations.
Again, thank you for your comments about our services and If I can help you in any way or decide to come back to Palladium Vallarta please, let me know.
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My family and extended family have to been to the Palladium twice before, we are about to fly out for our 3rd stay there. I have to say, we love it! It is a great family hotel, it's very
clean, and the staff has always been exceptional. We have even had a wedding in the family there. For those that want to be in the centre of it all, this is not the place. But, if you are looking for a great, safe family resort. This is definately the place! See you on Sunday!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank CanadaCheryl_10
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
Dear Mr./mrs CanadaCheryl_10,
I am really appreciating all comments about your last experiences in Palladium Vallarta. For us it is gratifying to know that our guest enjoyed their vacation with us and that they planning to come back with us.
I read that you and your family are planning to come back soon, please let me know if you have any request or anything else information that you need.

Dtorgeneral.vallarta@fiestahotelgroup.com

Best regards
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

This is a terrific resort. We arrived late in the evening and the service was right on the spot. check-in was smooth and we were set up in our rooms within 1/2 hour. The heat and the walking were quite oppresive. This resort is not for the weak or infirm. There are stairs and more stairs or if you opt for a path with ramps you walk quite a distance. The Adult swimming pool (Building 1 is the closest) was our sanctuary. Our maid service was very good, we only had one day they missed towel service, after meeting the staff that came to clean our room the next day, we didn't have any further issues. The only staff problem we had was dealing with the gal at the Concierge desk. She was rude and not helpful. Too long of a story to go into, hopefully you won't have to deal with the Concierge desk. The bartenders were excellent! Yeah, Pablo!!! Especially those bartenders at the Secret Bar, located at the adult pool. The food was plentiful and the service in all of the dining halls were wonderful. Portofino's, one of the specialty restaurants we ate at, was quite good. Thank goodness for the Hemingway Bar, it was the only air conditioned bar on the premises! Excellent martini's, staff and a godsend during the very hot and humid evenings. I recommend visiting Bucerias, it was a short trip and the shopping was more than reasonable. A great vacation, we got a terrific bargain.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank wiwench
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Dear Mr./Mrs Wiwench,
I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay in Palladium Vallarta. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in the Resort. If you decide to spend your next holidays with us please, let me know in order to check your reservation or anything else.
Best Regards,
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

So this was my first time in Mexico and my first all inclusive resort. And now, my first Trip Advisor review!!! The location; although an hour away from Puerto Vallarta, is AMAZINGLY beautiful!! Punta de Mita makes you sit by the pool (or in my case, in the pool) and stare off in the the beauty of it mixture of desert and oasis.

This place is a great starter vacation and introduction the all inclusive experience and I was not disappointed. While I may not go back to this resort (I heard that it's the oldest in the chain) again I do think I will stick with the chain as I heard from fellow travelers that the Palladium resorts get better.

I did not stay in the Royal Suites and really don't feel like I missed much. The beds could have been more comfy but I feel that's with any place that isn't home. The rooms were nice however and cleaned everyday. There is a lot of walking and steps, no elevators so be prepared to sweat. Our mini fridge seemed a little funky, like it wasn't working but is was just not well.

The food in the buffet was pretty good, LOVE the guacamole and the arrays of tropical fruit jucies. Some things were hit and miss but that's with any buffet. My main issue with the buffet was that although it was inside, the sometimes for got to turn on the air conditioning and I don't care to sweat in my food. The pool side restaurant left more to be desired. It is open air, so that means flies, bees and birds. It tasted ok but you had to be picky about what you got. The Al a Carte restaurants were all very good. I would particularly like to shout out the staff at Bambu for dealing with my deadly fish allergy when I wanted to eat sushi. They were very understanding. Portofino made this osso bucco dish that was awesome. My main complaint with the Al a Cartes was that there was no grand dessert. They lacked follow through in that department.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mimi_the_Great
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear Mimi_the_great,
Let me explain that The Royal Suites Punta de Mita it is a hotel only for adults that’s offer extra services than Palladium Vallarta doesn’t. There is butler service, room service 24hrs a private restaurant and pool, etc. It is newer than Palladium area. Their construction was in 2006.
In reference to your comments about our restaurants, I can assure you that we will take note about that in order to correct or improve them. As Palladium Vallarta is an all inclusive, all comments that we receive from food and beverages helps us to know that our guest looking or expecting in their vacations.
Again, thank you for your comments about our staff and services and If I can help you in any way or decide to come back to Palladium Vallarta please, let me know.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,327 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!