“Great Hotel! Great Vacation”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg, Mb
“Great Hotel! Great Vacation”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

WHAT CAN I SAY! This hotel was great! my BF and I were there for 2 weeks. I must say, after reading all the reviews on this hotel, I was very skeptical... But let me say.. DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS!!!! I have come to the conclusion that the bad reviews on this hotel are from ppl that have nothing better to do then complain. Or they were expecting beyond a 5* hotel. If thats what they were expecting maybe they shouldnt visit Mexico.

Anyways. Where to start!! the hotel was great!. When we arrived we got to the hotel around 12 noon. Our room was not ready until 3 ( which was fine) they take your luggage and put it in a safe spot until your room is ready. During that time they give you your wrist band and you are free to rome the resort. Which is HUGE!

ONce we checked in we were given building One. ( now from all the reviews it says to stay away from buildilng one... so we anticipated to see what our room was like) When we got to our room we were beyond impressed. First of all we didnt pay for a ocean view room. We paid for a garden view rooM( because it was cheaper and we figured we wont be in our room much regardless) and a king size bed. To our suprise we were given bldg one which is the bldg closest to the infinity( adult) pool and the mexican resturant, and in my opionion the bldg closest to access the beach and ammenties. We walked in our room and I did say.. "oh we have to double beds, rather then a king size" Not a big deal in my opinion, a bed is a bed. I went out to check out our "garden view" and to our suprise there was the OCEAN! we recvd a ocean view room without paying for it. Oh ... We stayed in room 1204- highly recommend this room :)

Anyways, in continuation to the room. It was very clean. the Beds were clean, they were comfortable( despite what the rest of the reviews say) fresh towels daily, teh shower was clean, and worked fine, toilet was fine. Fridge and TV were fine, and AC worked fine the whole 2 weeks we were there.

Now ppl complain that there is a "mold" smell in bldg 1. We didnt smell any mold and the "smell" that they are smelling is probably because of climate. its a muggy smell but thats typical in any place that is hot. My bf made the comment that it smells like that in Jamaica. Its the climate ppl. Not the bldg. No mold was found in our room.

The staff was great. Bartenders are awesome. They definately are attentive and know when you first arrive to the resort, we had a welcome shot and tipped the bartender and from that day on he rememberd our names and we had daily conversations with him. The activity staff are great as well. Very energetic full of life and energy, sometimes a little tooo much energy taht you have no idea how they can work that many hrs and still be happy go lucky!!!

As for the "sewage" smell. PPl said that the resort smelled all the time in the "complainers" reviews.. the only time you could smell it was when they were watering the gardens which was usually at night. and come on ppl... it wasnt that bad.. The bad reviews also complain about the zoo smelling... do i really need to comment on that? its a zoo.. they are animals.. its going to smell.. my suggestion .. dont walk by the zoo...

As for the music being too loud? you could barely hear the music. Whether you were on the beach or the kids pool area or adult pool area. The music was barely on and when it was on it wasnt loud. You could hardley hear it. So the ppl that complained about that def. have issues. or go to bed at 8pm....

Food wise, the resort was ok. The Mexican, oriental and mediterannean and the beach bbq were great. i wasnt too big of a fan of the food at the buffett, just because after week 1 i got sick of it but the food is ediable and good. No real complaints on that.

The beach.. The beach is amazing. the water was warm, the beach was nice and clean, the saltwater pool was awesome. Filled with fish from the ocean that you can snorkle around and see. Apperently there was a 3ft tuna fish in there one day which scared the children and the staff were there quickly to get the fish out. The fish was washed in from the waves. It was mostly red flag while we were there. Whcih was not necessarly a bad thing. Its great for boogie boarding. The waves are more fun!!! You can still swim in the ocean and you are safe, Just dont go out too far. Or if you are nervous there is the saltwater pool which is more safe. Espcially for children.
There are some rocks in the water, but not to the opint that you cannot swim or boogie board.

Yes there are ppl walking around selling you jewlellry or asking you to braid you hari. you tell them no and they will leave you a lone, they will ask you every day but its not a big deal.

As for the stairs and walking.. if you are lazy and dont want to walk or do anything. dont go here. Yes there are stairs. NO there is no elevators. You dont know how many times i heard ppl asking where the elevators are.. Its mexico ppl.. there are no elevators at this resort. there is only 3 flights of stairs to the 3rd floor room.. suck it up :)

I did hear one guy complaining while eating supper. And he was staying on the royal suite side. My only comment to that is.. born complainer. In my opinion its not even worth it to upgrade to the royal suties side. Only advantages there is a in suite jucuzzi and a "private Beach" which in my opinion was crap. The sand was rough. Also the royal suites gets to make reservations for supper and the specialty resturants. so if a jucazii and reservations and a flat screen tv are on your must lists.. then upgrade to the royal suites.. Other wise the palladium side is the way to goo

I could go on about this hotel and how great it is. I recommend this hotel to anyone( unless you are elderly and are in a wheel chair- due to the stairs and walking)

Oh as for the bus loads of "mexicans" not once during our 2 weeks was there a busloads of mexicans that came in. And even if there was SO WHAT.. you are in mexico. If you wanna hang out with a bunch of canadians/americans then stay in canada. Your coming to mexico for the sun/cultural and ppl.

Also to the comments on ppl saying there are kids running around. Of course there is.. its a kid friendly resort. My suggestion for a solution to this.. book a ADULTS only resort.. that will clear that problem up just fine!!

In a nutshell.. this resort is great and definately will be going back. Bldg 1 is fine. If you want a flat screen tv or ipod dock stay in bldg 3 spend the extra money. if your going to use your room to change and sleep. stay on the palladium side.

If you are use to ppl waiting on you hand and foot do not go here.

I definately will be going back to this resort at one point. I HIGHLY recommned this resort to everyone and HIGHly stress do not believe the bad reviews!!!!!

Love this hotel and all the great ppl we met!!!

If you have any questions pls MSG me

** i will upload pictures at a later date!*

THANKS PALLADIUM!!!!

17 Thank Danielle03

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed January 27, 2010

My wife and I spent two weeks at the resort, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. First the positives, our room was spacious and well maintained. The food was great in the buffets as well as in the ala carte restaurants. There are no reservations for the ala cartes, if you wish to go to an ala carte, you go, if they are full you will be given a pager to call when your seating is ready.
For the sushi restaurant go early and line up, some other patrons complained about this but we had no problem with it. The other restaurants usually there was no waiting. My wife really liked the California rolls, I preferred the sashimi.
The view from the Mexican restaurant is incredible, bring a camera. on our first visit to Viva Mexico, we were served guacamole as an appetizer, I usually detest guaucamole, but their guacamole is excellent, the server actually makes it with a mortar and pestle while walking to your table. The stuffed crab was our favorite entree.
At El Portofino I had the tuna appetizer, it is served raw in a very tasty sauce, I am hesitant to eat anything raw at places that I don't know well, but I did not have any ill effects from the tuna. I wasn't sure what the beef was on the menu, so I asked the waiter, a he said it was grilled steak, and it was unbelievably good. I ordered rare, but it was almost blue, my wife ordered medium, and got medium rare which is what she actually wanted, so you might want to follow suit.
The beach is quite small, and can get crowded, but if you walk around the cliff to the south there is about a half mile of open beach that is usually deserted. The beach to the south has very coarse sand with some small gravel sizes, so water shoes are recommended, but we toughed it out with no cuts to our feet. The sand is also soft in that your feet will sink in a couple of inches, which can make walking a chore, but we enjoyed the exercise. There is beach volleyball every morning, and I played so much that I ended up having trouble walking after, but it is great exercise and great fun.
There are two pool areas one for adults only which is quiet and warm. the main pool area where all the activities are is somewhat loud, but is spacious and never crowded. The water in the main pool is quite cool but tolerable.
The negatives are trivial we requested a king bed, and got twin beds instead, our travel guide asked the resort if we could get a king bed, and we were offered a move to a suite with a king bed, but it would be in one of the older buildings that we had heard so much bad about that we decided to stay in the room we had. we just moved the night table and pushed the two twins together and we had one huge bed.
We had heard of people waiting hours to check in, we were checked in in minutes. The complaints are probably from people who arrived early in the day, and the rooms are not available until three.
There is a lot of walking and stairs at this resort, if you have mobility problems, stay away!!!, we actually liked the walking and stairs for the exercise value.
This is the only resort that we have been at where the bar tenders are not allowed to take a bottle of wine back to the room, but a huge tip will get you one. Our solution was to take our bubba kegs to the lobby bar in the afternoon and have them filled. It would be nice to have some stemware in the rooms ot just the little glasses, but sacrifices must be made, pinching some from the bar worked for us until our regular maid had a day off and the glasses were gone.
We always get great service wherever we go, tips go a long way, we normally leave 50 pesos in the room for the maid, are room was always spotless but we didn't get the fancy towel art on the beds like we did in Punta Cana and Cuba, no biggie.
The lobby bar can get loud due to rude patrons and get very busy in the late afternoon and early evening, we found that after dinner the best place was down by the adult pool and secret bar is a nice place for a quiet drink. Our drink is red wine, and the wine they serve at the resort is a low end but drinkable Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, ok, but not great.
Please forgive the rambling writing style, I am just putting down things as I remember them. The bottom line is we had a GOOD TIME.

11 Thank edmontonwinelover
Ottawa
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort the first week in January. We really have no complaints! Our room was a great lcation...if you are in building #2 ask to stay in the even numbered rooms. We had a great view of the ocean and the pool. The buffet had a lot of selection.....the fresh fish was awesome! The a-la-carte restaurants were good also...we didnt get to try the Italian restaurant because it was so busy all the time...always a good sign! There is a zoo in the middle of the hotel...a little random but at least the animals were being rehabilitated and helped out. They seemed to have great care....lots of fresh fruits and food....caregivers spent most of their days cleaning the cages. Could get a little stinky at times. The ocean was awesome to swim in! Lots of big waves....fun to boogey board and kayak in. Lots of rocks at this beach....but a great view of the whales! Keep your eyes out at 3 - 4pm. We whalewatched for free :) Make sure to bring lots of sunscreen....the cheapest one at the gift shop was 24$! Crazy pricey! Drink lots of mojitoes and sangria...best drinks and very refreshing! Hemingways bar was a nice loungy type bar....definetly worth checking out. Nightly entertainment was okay. Worth the 1$ bus ride into Bucerias. Lots of markets and restaurants there. Its about a 20 minute ride in. We loved the fact that we were so secluded....no other hotels around....very quiet.....the staff worked very hard. Overall a great vacation. Have fun :)

3 Thank Katrina2328
Calgary
Reviewed January 25, 2010

This trip was great! I got such a great deal on the hotel that I was afraid of what I was getting us into. Fortunately, the hotel more than lived up to my expectations.

The resort is kept very clean. We even saw them bleaching the walkways at night! The rooms are cleaned daily and our mini fridge was restocked with water and beverages everyday. Once we asked our maid for some extra water, we got 3 or 4 bottles a day for the rest of our stay.

The pools were good. There was no swim up bar which would have been nice, but they were never crowded and were also very clean. There is an adult only pool which was nice when we wanted to just relax without any screaming kiddies.

The beach is fantastic! The water was very warm, and the waves were a lot of fun to play in. There is great surfing just off the beach, and you even get free surf lessons and boards if you want. There were always plenty of beach chairs available and a lot of cabanas for those people who wanted to lounge in the shade. Note that the chairs are left out over night so they are often sandy in the morning, but nothing a little dusting off couldn't take care of.

The food was above average. A lot of selection at the buffet and there a la carte restaurants (mexican, mediterranean, and oriental). The oriental restaurant was UNREAL! Great sushi, and lots of choices. Also, three days a week they set up a BBQ on the beach. We went twice because the food was so great and you get to sit at a cozy table on the beach and watch the sun go down.

There is live entertainment everynight, albeit it is a little subpar it can be quite entertaining. A band also played every night, followed by a disco upstairs. Several nights of the week they have vendors show up and set up a mini market right in the resort.

The resort itself has great scenery and is set up on a cliff to give you great views of the sunsets. It is also 45 minutes from puerto vallarta which gives you some seclusion. However, that also means an interesting bus ride or a 30 dollar cab ride whenever you need to get to the city center.

The staff were very friendly and very helpful and other than the fact that the Royal Suite guests got precedence at the a la carte restaurants I do not have a single complaint about this resort.

5 Thank AlaynaGilbert
toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2010

After booking our trip at the Palladium, I was very worried after reading several negative reviews here on Trip Advisor, about going. For those who had bad things to say about this resort, most demand perfection. But you dont get much closer to perfection then this place. But this is only my opinion...... and here are my views on some of the negative things people had to say.

Food was great!! Not spectacular, but very enjoyable. Some reviews had mentioned not being much of a selection and the same foods every day. So not true! Every nigth they do a different themed dinner which was fun. They even do a fantastic bbq on the beach. You have to try that at least once, we did it on oyr last night..... it was a beautiful way to end of our vacation. The main restaurant is a buffet and like most buffets it's serve yourself. So if you expect someoneto wait on you every minute, hand and foot... then this is not the place for you. They do there best. But aften our plates werent cleared while we were eatting... but that didn't bother us.

Is it kid friendly? Absolutely! There is a kids club, which is free!! As long as your kid(s) are 4 and up, you can leave your kid there for the day and they do several different activities through out the day. They have a great playground. We personally didnt use the kids club. We spent all day at the pool or the beach with my 1 and 4 year old. But they have a seperate kids pool which was a lot of fun. We met a lot of great families around the pool while all the kids played.

The beach was absolutely stunning!! Some reviews complained that it was too rocky, well all beaces in Puerto Vallarata are. Thats Mexico for you. But they have done work on there beach to make it more sandy. It's beautiful soft sand, that has areas with large rocks. My kids are aged 1 and 4 and managed it just fine. They also have a wonderful salt water pool in the ocean. Even comes complete with fish. We discovered snorkeling in this pool..... so much fun!! And they have free snorkeling gear!! And free boogie boards. Great waves!!

Getting around the resort was easy. There are a lot of up hills and down hills and stairs. I am a unfit plus size mom of two and had no problems getting around. The wals are beautiful. They even have botanical garden walks. If I can handle getting around with my 1 year old... you should be fine. Would not recommend it to anyone who is elderly with mobility issues or anyone who is dissabled. There are ramps everywhere, but it would be very tough.

There is also a mini zoo at the resort. Every morning we walked through the zoo on our way to the pool. The animlas were so happy and playful. Especially loved the monkies and Ostrages.

They also have great daily programs by the pool all day long. Yoga, aquafit, water and beach volleyball just to name a few. They even do a crazy game every day which was always a great laugh. My hubby participated in a belly flop contest. Great laughs there!! Another day was a beer drinking contest.

One review I read also said there was no white people there..... that it was all Mexicans there. I would say about 60% were Canadans. 30% Americans. There were no bus loads of Mexicans that over crowded the resort, as also read. And even if there was.... so what!! There is plenty of room for everyone!! And all the Mexicans we met, in or around the resort were so sweet and friendly.

Now before I forget..... if you go to Puerto Vallarta, weither it be at the Palladium or somewhere else... you must check out the Pirate's at Bay!! What a fantastic trip!!! Definitely one of our biggest high lights of the trip. A little pricey but worth every penny. First you board an authentic pirate ship and from the second on you have about a dozen pirates waiting on you every second. Making sure you have what you need.... getting you drinks. Breakfast and lunch is provided. There are three different shows. 2 hours at a beach where you can go snorkeling, swimming, kayaking, banana boat rides or just relax and suntan. For the kids, they did a treasure hunt with real treasure!! On the way back they did a trivia game. Through out the day they were constantly giving out free t-shirts. The pirates were just amazing. Through Palladium we had our own personal pirate escort from the hotel to the ship and back again. His pirate name was Lucas..... so sweet and adorable!! Ask for him if you can.

Also.... Puerto Vallarta is VERY SAFE!! Just outside the resort you can catch the bus and go into town. Because we have small kids, we didnt do this. But we met and spoke to several people who go back every year and do so. I did the city tour through Palladium by myself. It was a lot of fun. A beautiful and different way to see Puerto Vallarta outside the resort.

Finally, my complaint. The beds were rock hard!! I like a little bounce in my bed. But the room was beautiful. Not much t.v channel options. Nit that we wanted to be watching t.v.... but when it was nap time for my 1 year old, it was nice to be able to watch something. The bathroom was nice. The taps were a bit rusted and the chrome was peeling... but no big deal to us. How much time do you really spend in your room?!?! I hear the upgrade to the royal suites is nice... no kids. But the beach sucks on the royal side... but you can walk over to the regular side. There is a jacuzzi in your room.... but what do you need a jacuzzi for when you have pools and a beach?!?!

Oh and tipping..... pesos is best. When you go to the bank... ask for a lot of 20 peso bills (which is like $2). Almost no one there was tipping. That doesnt seem right to me. The mais make only like $9 a DAY. Thats right, a day!! And if you sit in the same area of the restaurant eveyday, you may get to know a waiter. Tip him. And get good service daily. We did.

Bottom line. We cant wait to go back. For the price.... it's a steal!! Make the most of it.

Please feel free to as me any questions. I'd be happy to help the best I can.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank TorontoMommyoftwo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My sister and I went and had a great time. We are mid-late 20's and this resort has it all. First of all, the entertainment staff is amazing, the shows are unbelievable- don't miss them. They also give surfing lessons which are fantastic, and for someone who has never surfed before, this made my trip!! If you can, ask for Otin, he's great. The food here is unbelievable, buffet is very good and the a la cartes are fantastic. They also do a BBQ on the beach which is a big hit. The rooms are pretty good, very clean. The staff is super friendly and everyone just wants you to have a great time. I will go back for sure, and I can't wait!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank brooke50
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My brother and I went to this resort as a reward I had earned at work. I was a bit concerned based on the reviews but having stayed at other hotels that have had poor reviews on TripAdvisor I knew to take everyone's comments with a grain of salt.

We were surprised to learn we had been upgraded to the Royal Suites. These rooms are beautiful! The king suites are definitely amazing, unfortunately since I was with my brother this room just would not do and they were great about getting us a suite with two beds (and no tub in the middle of the room) without hassle.

The Royal Suites are an adults-only section of the resort and they have their own a la carte restaurant, pool, room service, concierge, and lobby with a great bartender, separate checkin, and internet computers. The a la carte was great but we did not make much use of our pool; we had made friends and enjoyed ourselves better at the infinity pool - also adults-only - on the other side of the resort.

Please visit Marcellino at the Hemingway Bar. He is the friendliest and most courteous bartender I have ever met at a resort!

The only a la carte we did not try was the asian one, the mexican one is delicious but I would have to say my favorite is the italian. Who knew I would love osso bucco and tuna carpaccio?! And make sure to finish off your meal with a spanish coffee!

The beach bbq was also great. Grilled sausages may not sound all that special but these ones were particularly divine.

I thought the saltwater pool was very clever and a great idea. Unfortunately I did not try out this pool until after our snorkelling trip. If you want great photos of fish all you need to do is go to the saltwater pool, new fish come and go every day with the tide!

Boogieboarding here is a blast! The waves are great for that.

The only time I ever felt concerned about the operations of the resort is upstairs at the disco. We saw them rinsing the glasses out in a soapy bucket...and that's all. Needless to say we weren't comfortable with grabbing drinks there.

All in all I had a great time at the Palladium. Taking a quick peek at the rooms by the infinity pool (they do not open with key cards...they still have regular keys!) I have to say I was quite glad we were moved to the Royal Suites. I do not think I would have enjoyed myself as much if we were in the other part of the resort. Yes, we did not stay on our "side" for much other than the occasional meal and for resting, but it's all about comfort and service and the Royal Suites are certainly worth the extra money.

If you want a great resort that takes you away from it all I'll gladly suggest the Palladium. They treat you fabulously and it practically forces you to relax. Because, honestly, there isn't anything else remotely close by to distract you from the resort. As it was my first time in Puerto Vallarta I have to admit I was disappointed I did not have the convenience of exploring PV more or even wandering into a smaller town - we were pretty out there - but I couldn't have asked for a better resort stay.

Don't forget to visit Marcellino! I can't stress that enough!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank LittleTigerLily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#18 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!