“Beware, this is not 5 Star Resort!!”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were at the resort the last week of March. The location and the beach are great but the resort is in need of a facelift. The staff were friendly, the service was good, however our first impression of the resort was how unkept it is. Paint and plaster peeling off the walls, the gardens were not well maintained, bugs crawling all over the food in the Bambu Restaurant, the food in general is very generic - it all tastes the same. We booked this resort based on its website stating the option of 1 king bed or 2 queens. The bed sizes have since been removed from their website as they do not have queen beds. We would not have chosen this resort knowing the rooms had double beds. Very cramped for a family with 2 children. Will definltely not return to this resort!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JaneR496

Reviewed May 5, 2013

What a great way to spend a week ! Our Experience was positive, it came with an Beautiful Ocean View and the Friendly Staff made us feel at home. The Variety of food was fantastic, ranging from good old Fries and Burgers for the less adventurous eaters to delicious local dishes to enjoy. We appreciated the great people that looked after us... from Michealina who cleaned up after us each day to Alberto who kept us topped up with Coffee and beverages through Breakfast and Lunch. The Stage Shows each evening were fun and entertaining. The Bar Staff was great... Vanessa and Francia were awesome, never let our glasses go dry and kept us laughing and joking ... We have all agreed that we will need to work on our Spanish ! My only complaint would be the climbing of the walkway was painful until you did it for 3 days straight and your legs became used to it... and then it was just good excersise. Our room was clean and well kept, the staff was super friendly, the grounds were lush green and tidy. I would recommend this location to friends and family. There was a bit of trouble with the cash machine shooting out one' rather than 20's ... It was handled prompltly with paperwork (it wasn't my experience so I'm not sure how it was resolved)... and I don't know if the cash machine is managed by the Hotel or privately as they are here at home.

Room Tip: Ocean View !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Denise L
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is not a 5 star resort in anyway, I would say it's a 2 star, possibly 2 and half stars, but that's it.

This resort is NOT for anyone with any kind of health issue or if you have to carry child with you, it's a steep upward climb to get to ANY room or restaurant.

During our stay, 7 of our 8 travellers became ill, 3 of them violently ill, 2 confirmed for Food Poisioning which was from their chicken soup, out of the 500 guests that were there during our stay we heard first hand of over 200 people being sick, many spent 4 to 5 days in their rooms, we were also told that the week before half of the resort was ill. The meat was always undercooked and cold. We also noiticed that you never got good service unless you tipped, for those who go away to a all inclusive resort and can not afford to tip always, this is not the resort for you. The staff group togther in the restaurants and all help you or all ignore you.

There is bugs galore there, I believe the zoo on the premises is not a good or healthy thing to be around 24/7. If you're gonna go there make sure you have something to protcect yourself from getting any kind of infection or disease, cyprol is the number 1 medicine to use to prevent this.

We really have nothing good to say about this resort, we've been going to Puerto Vallarta twice a year for the past 9 years now and this was an experience we'll never forget, and have no desire to ever go back.

We read the reports here before we went and expected a good trip and we were very dissappointed, I believe all the good reports are probably from people who spent their vacation drinking and really have no knowledge of what was really going on.

Room Tip: All the beds are hard and believe it or not noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank April R
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The service at the front desk was less than acceptable. The reservation or the beach BBQ was a nightmare to say the least. We booked for a wedding party and were turned away as they told us we never booked, there was another wedding party standing in line that had exact experience. They closed the buffet so we had only the sports bar to eat at. We ended up ordering pizza fom town and having it delivered to an all inclusive resort! The front desk did accomadate us an let us use their phone to in the order. The Spa is exceptional Excellent service there. That being said I did use my credit card there an when I got back to Canada I had to cancel my card as there were fraudulent charges on it but I used it in town as well. I would not go back to the resort and would not recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 997Kathryn997
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We just returned from a week April 21-28. There are many good things to say about this resort, some staff, some facilities, some meals. We had a great view from our room - Building on, low, even numbered. We met some fabulous Canadians ... wow! Inexpensive. Busarias is really cute.

Tragically, one of our fellow travellers suffered a heart attack, poolside. We and other guests responded immediately with CPR. Hotel staff rushed to the scene, EMT were called and arrived 20 minutes later. We desperately needed an AED and there wasn't one. We asked and asked and asked. As far as we have been able to determine, they don't have one. This device is so common place here in Canada, we were horrified that it wasn't available on that very sad day. Yes - we have notified the hotel, we told everyone we could think of that they need Emergency supplies accessible around the hotel.

We also noticed that a lot of people were getting sick. Of our party, 3 out of 8 of us spent at least one day vomiting. Fairly unusual from my experience.

The food was o.k., 4 star for sure. The service staff in the a la cartes were great, at the buffet they were understaffed and we often had meals with no beverages cuz we were just never served. The bar tenders need to be doubled up too, but on the flip side we met some great people while waiting at the bar for service!

I don't want to be too negative in this review. We had some wonderful moments, the beach, sunsets, friends. I think there are some things this hotel needs to do to get its service levels up and to ensure the safety and well-being of it guests. THEY MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT EMERGENCY LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you are travelleing with kids - building 2. Couples, Building one, even numbered rooms are ocean...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BevandDaryl
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The good:
The resort had nice vegetation.
The animals cages at the resort were kept clean.
I found most of the servers and bar tenders at the bars and restaurants were very polite.
The rooms were nice - minus the bed.
The mexican restaurant had amazing tortilla soup.

The bad:
The beds were horrible, they had a mattress cover that made a significant amount of noise anytime someone moved.
The walls are very thin, I could hear our neighbor in the middle of the night brushing his teeth, toilet flushing etc - it sounded like it was in our room and woke me up on numerous occasions thinking that someone was in our room.
The fridges do not keep anything cold.
The food
The beach - in regards to chairs

I would not go back to this resort as many people got sick on their stay. My husband being one of them. He ate the pork ribs at one of the a la carte restaurants and within an hour had severe stomach pains and ended up spending the night in the bathroom vomiting and diarrhea, he had a low grade fever, chills, cold sweats etc. He got sick on our second day at this resort and was not feeling 100% until the night before we left so he basically missed out on our entire vacation by feeling crappy. Another two people we were travelling with also got diarrhea and nausea, not to the extent of my husband but bad enough that they ended up spending a few days in their hotel room.

With my husband being sick we ended up missing an excursion that we paid $200 for. I went to the Sunwing counter to let the rep know that we wouldnt be able to make it as my husband was sick and to see if we could rebook. I went down at approximately 2 or 230PM and he was no where to be found so we just ended up not going and decided I would go and talk to the rep the next day. He told me that he would contact Vallarta Adventures and try to rebook or get some or all of our money back and that he would call us Thursday and if we didn't hear from him, to stop by and see him Friday. He did not call us on Thursday and he was no where to be found on Friday so we ended up not getting any money back or even the decency of being informed of what Vallarta Adventures had said.

The beach at this resort was ok, yet it was ridiculous trying to get a beach chair near the swimming part of the ocean. The only chairs that were ever available were the chairs near the natural salt water pool and had no shade so we spent most of our time in the morning on the beach, and once it got really hot in the afternoon we would head to the adult pool to cool off.

Overall if you do go to this resort be VERY careful of what you eat. I only ate eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, rice, veggies, guacamole and tortilla chips and I did not get an upset stomach of any kind, but it seemed that everyone that was with us that ate any meat got sick.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JMC134
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was trying to find an appropriate title and I think that Nightmare sums it up best. If you are looking for a dumpy hotel with food on par with McDonalds, mold in the rooms, all you can drink garbage liquor, and an almost 50/50 shot of sickness this hotel is perfect for you. Even its sister property the "Royal Suites" is anything but Royal. I would say that at best that the two are equal.

Lets start with the rooms. On par with a low end US motel chain like a Super 8. When walking into our room the bellman apologized for the smell (think high school boys locker room) but said that it would "go away" soon, as he opened the sliding glass door. The decor was something out of the 80's I would say. The hotel probably has not been updated since it was built. The bed and pillows were lumpy and you can tell they haven't been changed in years.

The food. This is basically like a cafeteria style setting a bit lower end than a US Golden Corral. I would say that any fast food chain is far superior to this food. Not only was it bad but it's my impression that it caused a great amount of sickness at the hotel. In fact both of us got sick by eating minimal food at the hotel. The folks in the room next to us ended up in the hospital and the out of the remaining wedding party I would say you had about a 50% chance of spending your vacation in your room in the bathroom.

The resort. Mediocre at best. They have a zoo (2 monkeys and some chickens). A large pool, an okay beach, etc., etc. The staff could care less about the property and it shows. They whistle as women walk by, don't speak english well, and pretend that everything is okay. They should though, as they live on site....at least most of them do. When we complaining about our room they did not care and we actually checked out to go to another hotel this was so bad. Not an offer of a refund, instead they made us sign a form saying that we were checking out early and responsible for the full payment. I guess that this is why they have you pay in full upfront. Never heard of that before but have never stayed at a place like this in my life.

My hope is that through this review I can save even one family from the mess that is the Palladium. Save your money and go somewhere else. However, if you are 18-24 and looking for an all inclusive spring break vacation with horrible food and liquor you hit the nail on the head. It was so bad that I would not go back there if they paid me to....Please stay away. Also, I am so vehement about the nastiness of this place feel free to contact me directly to ask questions. I would personally like to publicize the issues here as much as possible. I have started to file a claim with the Mexican health department and will also be performing a chargeback with Amex as this was an especially horrible "nightmare in Mexico"

To the manager or whoever it is that responds to these posts with canned messages. Please do not even attempt. You know that your hotel is subpar and that everyone is getting sick but you don't care. We talked to a manager on site that could care less.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meson de Mita
Hotel Meson de Mita
#10 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!