“Good and Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The staff were for the most part, extremely helpful. Above and beyond were Alberto (buffet), Armando and Amatius at the pool side bars. The meals were great, however we found the service at the Bambu restaurant very rushed and unfriendly.

When we booked we requested a non-smoking room with a king size bed in Building 1 or 2. When we arrived, we were told the resort was full and we ended up on the main floor, at the end of building 3, a smoking room with 2 double beds. Room was very musty smelling, broken lamps and a broken garbage can in the bathroom.

Low battery in the safe which took them a day to fix, housekeeping left our room unlocked twice and one time it was both the main room door and the patio door. Makes you wonder what we were being set up for but more importantly a general sense of uneasiness. Hard to relax on a vacation when you are worried about your room.

First and last time at this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Darlene2013
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Darlene2013
Thank you for your comments regards our services and staff. For us is so important to know or guests opinions and improve our services day to day. I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay.
Regards your request we cannot guarantee any special room because it depends on the availability. I am really sorry if we could not offer a room in building 1 or 2. Nevertheless we always try to offer same service and attention to all guests in all rooms. I am really sorry for the inconveniences suffered in your room. I will take note in order to correct those things immediately.
Again thank you for your comments and I hope to have the opportunity to host you in a future and change your first impression. Just let us know in advance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
Langley, bc canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just came back from a seven day stay. I am not a fussy person that needs to be pampered and I appreciate hard work and great service. I will explain some of the good points and some of the bad points. I will try to be unbiased and at the end tell you what I think of the resort.
1- The people are friendly and work hard for every tip. If you appreciate their hard work they will do extra because they know you appreciate. Would they be this nice without a tip, I would like to think so. People that gave great service were Jorje at Ribs and More, Javier in the buffet for dinner, Mayte for cleaning our room and the towel design, Franchesca and Vanessa sisters that we really liked very much serving us drinks, Virginia at the A la carte restaurant, Cesar that works in the breakfast buffet.
2- This resort says that A La Carte restaurants are first come first serve but when you come without a reservation they will not let you in. Unless you are Royal Suites, Imperial Club or Palladium Club, if you are in this group you get special treatment and do not require a reservation. I asked to have a reservation for the Beach Barbeque but was told it was full. I went to see the restaurant and there were numerous tables empty. I mentioned this to Omar the Concierge who said yes these tables were left unfilled and that we would be on the list for the next Barbeque. When the time came we were not on the list. I complained a bit and was given a ticket for the Barbeque. I felt sorry for a young family that kept on getting told they are full when in fact tables were open. I said they should speak up and they were eventually allowed a spot. The concierge says it is first come first serve but show up without a ticket and you will not get in. They leave spaces open for the special customers and clubs. The rules say that you must wear long pants and shoes. With every a la carte I was dressed up while club members could come in bathing suit, t shirt, flip flops and drunk. The last a la carte I decided to wear dress shorts and nice sandles with a collared shirt. I was told I could not come in. I said this is not fair and they allowed me this time but never again. I am thinking what the heck, if you don't belong to a club you get treated differently. The Ribs and more, Beach Barbeque and the Bambo are fantastic food that will stuff your stomach. The dinner in the buffet was always cold. The breakfast was very good and so was the snack bar for lunch.
3- In the resort about 40 people got a stomach virus and sick for two days. While we were looking at the royal suites pool with our friends they started fogging the restaurant with diazinon which fogged us out of the area. I don't know if they cleaned off the tables. Our friends also had a scorpion in their room on the third floor. How does that happen.
4-I wrote a letter to Ana Castro telling her of the great service that I received from her staff the first few days. I told her that everyone I see was working very hard. I asked for an upgrade and was told for $100 more per day I could go to the Royal Suites, our friends said not to as it was not worth it. I was told $30 a day more so I could have a room looking at the ocean, I declined. A club member was offered the presidential suite for $30 more per day and they grabbed it.
5- The rooms are very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The balcony is useless as it only fits one chair on the curved balcony. Sit in the chair and you look at a wall.
6- We went to the nightly shows but were left scratching our heads at what we say, kids jumping around and the odd little sing and dance to a song. The show is not that good. The music at the bar was pretty good. The disco was empty every night. We checked every night and it was empty.
7-We enjoyed our stay and we tipped all of the employees very well throughout the week. When they cut our wrist band off we went with our friends to the bar to have one last drink before we left. The bartender was happy and the servers were happy wanting to make this a memorable vacation. As soon as the Bartender put the drink in front of me a security guard came up to me only within 5 seconds and said I was not allowed to have a drink as my wrist band was removed. I felt very insulted and took the drink to the front desk and said " This is how you end a nice vacation by telling me I cannot have one last drink " I left the desk and the managers said nothing. The management did nothing because they don't care they have your money now leave. The employees came up to me and said they apologize for the way this was handled. The heart of this resort are the serving employees, I wish another resort would hire them for more money.
MY THOUGHTS: If I got a fantastic deal I would go again because I really like the employees that treated me so well. But because of the way the management treated me I would have to say I will take my business elsewhere. The managers do not have a clue how to make people happy. It is their fantastic employees that make the vacation so memorable. Thank you to all of the employees of this resort, well done. Now I will visit a resort that knows how to treat people.

Room Tip: If you get a room close to the adult pool you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Harry R
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Harry R
First of all, I would like to say that I read attentively your report and I would like to mention some points.
Thank you for your kind’s words regards our employees’ services. Our goal is keep and exceed our guest’s high expectation and we cannot do that without our staff.
Regards your comments about your different issues with management I would like to say I regret to read you had some inconveniences. Trust me, I am the first person involved and interested in keeping happy all our guests. I read your letter and I personally left instructions about your request. My front desk manager explains to me that you declined my offer regarding offering you a free upgrade to a better room category in your next visit. Unfortunately we can not offer free up grades to all our guest who comes to the hotel for first time. Nevertheless we offer you a discount in order you can enjoy the rest of your stay in Royal Suites. I understand you declined that too. So, I think I gave you an immediate reply;, unfortunately my answer did not meet your expectations. Regarding your other issues I have to say that you reported a problem which was solved immediately by our front desk staff. Do you really think the management did nothing? It was a misunderstanding created between our security men and you and I understand everything was solved as soon as you reported the problem to front desk staff. I am really sorry if I personally could not go with you and apologize for the inconveniences but sometimes for me it is quite difficult to have the chance to talk with all our guests. It is because of that there are different managers in all departments in order to solve all issues that our guest might have.
Again, thank you for your comments and I will send them to our staff in order that they know they are recognized by our guests
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The beach on this resort was really great! There is a man made tidal pool on the beach that is terrific for the kids and adults that don’t want the wave action. We lived in it!
There is a professional life guard on duty, Stefane. He is from Germany and takes his job very seriously. Free surfing lessons too!

The pool area was very nice as well. No bar service on the beach or pool area, but the bars were fast and Oscar worked his butt off and always with a smile! Lots of wasps around the bar area in the afternoon because of the syrup, so if you are allergic bring an Epi pen like I did. They do their best to keep them to a minimum but sugar drinks attract them all! We ended up keeping our beach towels for 3 or more days as most times they were out even first thing in the morning, so don’t turn them in at the end of the day just in case. We traded when we knew they had stock. Guillermo was on the beach to help find chairs and sweep off the sand from your lounge chairs. He was Super Friendly and accommodating! Tip him, Please!!! We brought To Go cups for our drinks on the beach and was a great way to go!

All public bathrooms were always very clean!

We were in room 2210 .The rooms were extremely clean. Lots of towels. The chambermaid looked after us very well. We also choose to tip $5 per day to clean up our mess and they deserve it! Bar fridge filled with snacks, drinks and water daily. No clocks though so you have to rely on a wake up call. I would have packed an alarm clock just in case. There were extra pillows and blankets in the closet if needed.

Balconies were really disappointing.
We were on the third floor that had a great ocean view but we pretty much had to take turns standing out on the balcony! Coming from a freezing climate we like to sit out on the balcony after dinner but not possible here. The first & second floors looked like they could sit 2 people at a time.

The food at the buffet was really good. Excellent pasta bar, crepe bar and pizza bar.
Javier was a great server, so we looked for him each time we ate.

Never tried the a la carte restaurants, as they don’t take reservations! Hiked up and down the stairs for 20 minutes to find the Mexican a la carte and was then told the guys had to be in long pants and collared shirts. That part was our fault as it said on the hotel information. If you weren’t there for 6:30 you wouldn’t get in until 9. You could see many that did not get in at the buffet by 6:45. The a la carte system or lack of does not work!

This property has lots of stairs and lots of walking. If you have a disability or injury this is not the property for you!

We took a taxi in to Bucerias was $20 US. Same amount for the return trip. If you are doing some serious shopping in town you may want to change your US money into Pesos or they just charge you the same. $180 Pesos is $18 US dollars which is over paying. But we just wanted a few trinkets and not worth changing the money for us. Definitely barter in the market.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoodchildWinnipeg
Dear GoodchildWinnipeg
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Vallarta. It was a very extensive report and that helps us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your vacation in our hotel. We take our guest’s comments very seriously. I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Vallarta. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience. I will personally oversee your reservation just let me know.
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent a week at the Grand Palladium and loved every minute. We went with two other families. We travelled with a 6 year old, 11 year old ,a 17 year old and a 19 year old as well as 6 adults. There really was something for everyone and the safety factor was fantastic there is security and lifeguards everywhere.
The food was great I am a picky eater when on holidays but was still able to put on holiday pounds. There was so much to choose from. The drinks were delicious and service was never an issue. We loved Humberto at the buffet he just couldn't do enough for us, he made us smile every time we seen him. There were lovely Mimosas for breakfast and lunch and the sparkling wine in the lobby bar was equally delicious.
From the moment we checked in ( which took minutes) we were treated perfectly Victor was a lovely bell boy.
Our room was in bldg.1 which we loved close to everything and to see whales jumping from my patio doors was unbelievable . The pool was a great place to hang out ,the activity staff really try their best to get you involved but after day 2 of buffets ,cocktails and sun it is hard to get yourself off the sunbed. Thank you to Antonio for always making an effort.Thank goodness for the stairs and the bit of walking. The gym is very clean and has everything you need if you choose to use it.
Hemmingways is quite sophisticated, and a nice way to end an evening.
There was a cocktail reception one night and the drinks and snacks were fabulous, we were really appreciative that all the managers were there to greet us and address any comments anyone had good or bad. The GM was beyond approachable we have never seen this before so thank you to them.
We really had a great holiday.

1 Thank LouisVwinnipeg
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

we a party of six just returned home on feb 16 from a fun week of sun at the GPV resort and spa. I found it quite enjoyable and the staff very accomodating.. Alberto and Martin in the buffet were most accomadating and waiting for and waiting on us each day. This made it most enjoyable. The beach was awesome and the loungers plentiful. I was however disappointed in the drinks. the margaritas I found very strong and undrinkable at most times and the beer wasn't corona which was a disappointment to me especially being in Mexico to me those two things should have been a given.The day trips we took were enjoyable and educational beware buying silver they say don't buy from the beach but becareful in the shops in town too $2-3 a gram some people paid way more than that,just be careful. The whale watching was great. The ala cartes were good but the buffet was as well, only thing I find bothersome is the evening shows starting so late. It is well after 10pm before it starts. All in all it was a great place and I would reccemend it to others

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear turkeybird27,
I would like to thank you for your nice comments about your last holidays in our Resort. We are working every day in order to improve our services and comments like yours help us a lot.
About your concern of the Corona beer let me tell you that we work with this company in our complex. The beer we have in our bars (Modelo) is part of the Corona company, is one of its brands. In our Hemingway bar you can also enjoy the Corona Light and in Royal Suites Punta Mita also will find another Corona’s brand. Regarding your opinion about the Margaritas we will check it also.
Thanks again for your remarks and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our second year back to the GPV. We travelled with adult friends, and our children. I booked two rooms and requested adjoining. After emailing with Ana Castro and then speaking to Oscar at the front desk prior to our arrival, everything was confirmed, and our requests were processed. Thanks to Ana for all of your help!

There is plenty of food to be had here. Always enjoyed the egg station for breakfast in the buffet, and the crepe station at night for dessert! We tried the Mexican restaurant this year which made table side guacamole, and flaming spanish coffees for dessert. Our friends went to Ribs and More and said it was great as well.

The beach - this is the part we keep coming back for. Great surf, boogey boarding, and awesome whale watching!!

Giovanni at Hemingways - a great bartender who works hard!!

The only thing I could say I wish was better was our housekeeping. We had ground floor building 2, and often after our room was cleaned we wouldn't have toilet paper. We had to take some off of a cart in the hall when we completely ran out one day. My friends who stayed in the other building said they had wonderful housekeeping service.

All in all, another wonderful trip again at the GPV. I'm sure we'll be back to see you guys soon!

Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I will let others speak to most of Palladium's virtues which are many. We almost didn't book a space there because of snarky reviews and that would have been a big mistake. There is no satisfying some people!!!
1)Stairs: not a big deal folks. I have a lung condition and never even puffed going up them. Side benefit: toned legs.
2)Food: buffet very good, choice galore and birds stealing sugar which was fun. Ask Caesar to do his toothpick trick. A la cartes: excellent esp. Japanese. Jorge is a super guy. BBQ on beach is not to be missed. No need to make reservations; just be at the door at 6:30 or 8:00. Never tried the Mexican but heard it was not that great.
3)Watered down drinks: give me a break!!!!!
4)Beach: lovely, a few rocks in body surfing area but no big deal. "Too small"- how much water and sand do you need? A mercifully few vendors. One reservation is that if you want shade, it's limited but there are lots of chairs in the slatted roof area for partial shade.
5)Wiring and water. Saw a few MINOR electrical things. The shower water was refreshingly cool not cold.
6)Ocean views: over-rated and certainly not worth $30 extra per night. We had a charming bottom floor 'balcony' which afforded us a lovely park-like setting.
7)Staff: unfailingly polite, fun and attentive. These are hard working folks who deserve a tip. 60 hour weeks is the norm and in Jorge's case 3 hours a day on the bus getting there and back.
8)Beds: yes they are firm and yes there is plastic on top. I happen to like firm and the plastic can be removed. Pillows were not to my taste but I slept like cat regardless.
9)Grounds: a delight and meticulously maintained. It's an artificial jungle as they water it at night.

Everyone and his dog wants to sell you a time share but at the airport and in PV. We got suckered at the airport by a free taxi for which I paid $50 when they followed up. It's simple, just get on the WestJet bus which is free despite what the timeshare floggers say.

Ignore the malcontents and ENJOY!!!

3 Thank tomgra23
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,332 reviews
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!