“Wedding & Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Wedding & Honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very nice accommodations and the staff was very nice. I recommend the Grand Palladium and will return! The A La Carte restaurants were very good! The ocean views are beautiful and the activities at the resort are top notch.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the adult pool side top floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott E
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Scott E
I am glad to know that you and your partner enjoyed your special vacation in our hotel. We take our guest’s comments very seriously. I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Grand Palladium Vallarta. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience. I will personally oversee your reservation just let me know.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (881)
edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

The resort is big and if you are in building 3 like we were you better be prepared to do alot of walking and stair climbing. For us we didnt mind the excercise so much but you made sure if you were at the adults pool that you didnt forget anything in the room because its a good hike back.For anyone with any ailments at all this is not the resort for you. Here's the annoying part for me- NO WATER- we would want to shower and it would randomly shut off at any time of the day. As soon as a call was made the water was on within a half hour however when your lathered in soap thats a long time. We are not fussy eaters at all but I do prefer my food to be warm, hot would be great, but the al a carte places the food was always cool.The buffet was ok< I always found something- As far as the beds go, ours was firm but acceptable, the place is clean, the staff are very friendly, the beach is nice however there 's lots of rocks inside the water(so you don't see them) and lots outside the water. Always a strong tide so we didnt do any snorkeling. I would for sure go back to PV but likely would not stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Building 1 is beside the adult pool and less stairs than building 2 or 3.
1 Thank delisle
Dear Delisle
Thank you for your comments and I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our guests help us.
thank you again for any information or comments that can help us be a better hotel.
Bradford, Ontario. Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned last night from the Grand Palladium after spending the week of Jan 18-25th. Our overall vacation at the Grand Palladium we both said overall was great. Of course there are always a few things that are not always 100% but overall we had a very enjoyable week. Our first experience 23 years ago on our honeymoon in Mexico was not a great experience so was very refreshing to have a great experience and to change our mindset of Mexico.

I would say there weren't many disappointments with the resort but one big one for me is there "house wine" in absolutely unpalatable. I would not say that I am a wine snob and can always choke down a cheap glass of red wine but their "house wine" I could not even drink. It was like drinking very thick "port". I came across quite a few people that said the exact same thing. It was "undrinkable". We actually took a bus the day after we arrived into "Bucerias" to the "Mega" and bought a couple of bottles of red wine that they allowed us to bring and enjoy at dinner. I highly recommend the resort to find a good dry red/white wine to serve as their house wine that your guest can drink and enjoy.

My hubby and I rented a Jeep in the lobby. They gave it to us for 24 + 3 hrs and we did our own touring around. We went to Saluiyta which is sort of a hippy/surf boarding community.. a neat spot.. Bucerias.. Puerto Vallarta.. Up in the hills off roading in the mountains.. Highly recommend doing this. A lot more reasonably priced than tours and you can still go on your own for the tours once you get to the spots. The areas is very safe..

Rooms -
We were in Building 1 which is closest to the Adult pool. Room was a good size, clean, with a king size bed. We did have a few small things that needed a repair but still worked so not a big deal. We backed onto the botanical garden which wasn't oceanview but thought it would be quiet. Not only was it quiet but got to see very large Iguana's sunning themselves in the trees, beautiful bird and butterflies. Highly recommend bringing small binoculars to find all the hidden gems in the trees as well as watching the whales right from the beach or from the ocean view restaurants. This was very cool.. Beds were firm but fairly comfy.. Pillows were very stiff though and not too comfy..

Overall the food was pretty good. We could always find something to eat at the buffet that we liked. If you didn't buy the pkg ahead of time to prebook your a la carte restaurants you were on a first come first serve basis. We had to wait 3 nights to get into the Japanese restaurant. Highly suggest paying the price up front with your travel agent to get the prebook pkg. I was told it was only $40 each to do this.. I did have a problem one night after a power outage... I ended up with a bad tummy issue after eating the sushi so make sure it is fresh when you are eating fresh fish.. All of the staff in all of the restaurants were fantastic and always had a smile on their face and were always their to serve you. You sometimes had to wait to have them reset or clean a table but not usually long.

Bars
There were bars at each pool, on the beach and just outside the lobby,along with a sports bar and an incredible lounge - The sports bar even had my hubbies diehard hockey games on when we were there so he was a very happy man. I would highly recommend the bar Hemmingways to pop by for a quiet drink. Not only do they serve premium drinks but it usually a little quieter so you can get quicker service and always a friendly face..

Pools/Beach
We mostly spent out time at the beach and only once we couldn't find chairs so we brought two down from the main pool and no one seemed to mind. We did try twice to get chairs at the adult pool later in the day and couldn't find any free so had to go to the main pool. If you prefer the adult pool, highly recommend going down early and reserving your spot.. BTW, we found out the last day you can get towels and return towel with the bartender at the adult pool.
The adult pool was heated and was on the edge of a cliff so you could sit at the edge and over look the beach and ocean. The main pool was quite a bit cooler. My husband loved watching the whales right from the pool, beach and restaurants. As the week went on they came closer and closer to shore. We were told their were 6 babies born in Bandares Bay and the mothers were teaching them how to Breach.. Wonderful to watch. The beach had beautiful soft sand and great waves on most days which was good for the boogie boarders and surfers. Equipment to do all kinds of water activities - surfing, boogie boarding, snorkeling, kayaking - was available right there for free. The also offered free surfing lessons each day and suba diving lessons in the pool as well.

Entertainment
Each night they had bands that played before and after the nightly shows. We only wished they had the bands play longer or in a different area of the resort to pick either the show or the bands to watch. We enjoyed the live music a lot more but they didn't play long enough for our liking. They had some great musicians they needed to showcase longer

Transportation
We rented a jeep and loved all of our adventures we did on our own.. Very reasonably priced right from Dollar rental in the lobby. Christian gave us a great price..
We did take a bus into town one day and cost us 13 peso each to get to the Mega but I think we found the most rickety bus so took a cab back for 200 pesos ($20).. There seems to be better buses in town. Think we may just have had a very old bus.

There is also a little on-site zoo with monkeys, parrots, bunnies, ostrich etc that was nice to watch and a botanical garden with paths to walk through that was nice.

Summary
Overall great resort, good service, beautiful views and beach. We will be very happy to return to this resort!

Room Tip: Building 1 is closest to the adult pool

Room Tip: Building 1 was closest to the adult pool and farthest from the disco for quiet.
3 Thank kmc1119
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear kmc1119,
I would like to thank you for your review about your last holidays in our Resort. I am glad to know that you and your husband enjoyed your second visit to Mexico 23 years later, especially here with us. Your opinion about our staff and service is also very important for us. I will take note about your comments regarding our staff and I will pass it on to them.
Regarding your concern about the house wine, let me tell you that we are in process to get a new one, it's something that will change as soon as possible.
Thanks again for your comments and I hope to see you soon.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I spent the week of January 14-21 at grand palladium. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and love every minute of it. We are both food snobs with my husband being a chef we love food. With that said we loved all the food, people just need to think outside there box and try something new. Everything was so good with something for everyone. Only think that was a bummer was my iPhone was stolen from the beach Buffett off our table. Truly loved all the staff Antino, Sergio, Oscar, Daniel Andy list could go on. Yoga on the beach was amazing with Sergio, while we were there he lost his father and back to work 2 days later. Most hard working people I have ever meet. We can't wait to come back with our children next year.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Smmajury
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Smmajury,

First of all I would like to thank you for your very good comments about Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, especially about our staff. I will take note and I will send them to our staff.

I am very sad to know that your Iphone was stolen in our beach buffet, these kind of things usually never happen…

Thanks again for your review and please, let us know if you are planning to come back here and if we can help you with your reservation or anything else.

Kind regards,
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

From Jose, the bellboy to the maids, the waiters, Alberto, Armando, Javier, Josh and Pedro to the sports activity centre, Pepe, Jaime and Fernando we thank you all for making our holiday special. Jose, in particular, was absolutely fantastic and a credit to the management of the Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa. Everyone always welcomed you with a smile and were always willing to help you as much as they could.

Room Tip: We were in Building 1 which was the best location for everything.
2 Thank Beverley-Wilson
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dera Berverley-Wilson
First of all, thank you so much for your visit and I am thrilled you had such a great visit and we left you a memorable impression. Rest assured I have taken note of your comments regarding our staff. I am indeed honoured to have members of the team that help make our guests experience an unforgettable and special one. I will share your kind words to them.
We look forward to see you again and thank you for sharing your experience in Grand Palladium Vallarta.
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We traveled to this resort from December 16th - 23rd, 2012. We booked two rooms for two adults, and two 16-year old boys.

I was aware that this resort was not in Puerto Vallarta, but I didn't realize that it was almost 45 minutes away.

When you are leaving the airport to get the bus to the resort, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN AND DON'T TALK TO THE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION! These are timeshare salespeople, and they will cause you to miss your bus. They offer you free tours, meals, etc., but before you get the promised reward, you will sit through a 90 minute timeshare sales pitch (which has been reported to take as many as 7 hours!!)

The bus ride was comfortable and it is nice to be able to see some of the scenery on the ride to the resort.

Upon arrival at the resort, I was not overly 'wowed' by the lobby. It's nice, just nothing special. We were greeted with a cool fruity welcome drink, which was a nice touch. Check in was fast and pleasant. No issues there.

We did book a king-size bed, which we did not get. There were many people who complained about this while we were there, as well as many reviewers on tripadvisor.ca who have had the same issue. The double beds are NOT big enough for two adults. This was a disappointment, as we booked well in advance, and our travel rep contacted the hotel and CONFIRMED that we had this booked.

The resort itself was quiet, and I loved that I didn't get harassed at the beach by vendors. I was approached a couple of times, but a polite 'No, gracias.' was enough to send them on their way. The beach/water itself was very VERY rocky and we all suffered injuries (including a broken bone) from the rocks in the water. Bring shoes for sure, pay close attention to the swimming areas, and expect to get hurt by the rocks.

The rooms are nice, clean, basic. Nothing extraordinary. There is a mini-fridge which was stocked daily, and a coffee maker. We tipped both cash and small gifts to the maids and were very pleased with the service we received.

Balconies are small, and we did not spend any time out there for this reason. Usually, we enjoy coffee on the balcony in the morning, and a drink in the evening while watching the sunset, but there just wasn't the room to do that here.

The beds, as mentioned, were not what we had booked, and their double beds are not suitable for two people to sleep comfortably. Beds are harder than the ones at home, and do have covers on them, but I was quite comfortable, and did not find the plastic cover noisy or bothersome. I always travel with my own pillow, but the other travelers in my party had no issues with the pillows provided by the resort. You can rent 'better' pillows, for a fee.

Pools and grounds are nice and well-maintained. Staff are exceptional and work hard.

The food at the resort was our biggest disappointment.

El Bosque - The buffet restaurant was not great. Mornings at the buffet were ok...Service was AMAZING though. A lot of the time they were out of food, syrup, etc., and it took a LONG time for the empty trays to be refilled. The omelettes were very good, as was the french toast (if you could get some)! We did eat lunch and supper in the buffet as well, but were not impressed.

The buffet by the main pool was quite good for lunch, so this is where we ate during the day.

A la carte restaurants were much better.We ate at Viva Mexico, Portifino, and Ribs and more. I really enjoyed these restaurants, but the rest of our party really only enjoyed Ribs and More. (They aren't quite as open-minded about different foods.) If you wish to take advantage of the a la carte restaurants, you will need to be there early, 6:30pm ish, if you want to be seated. We were not made aware of the beach BBQ, and wish that we had known, as it looked like a good time, and smelled delicious.

Evening shows were ok. Typical Mexico-resort entertainment. We went to all but the burlesque show, which we thought was a bit inappropriate for a family resort. (we aren't prudes, but adult entertainment is for adults...)

We liked that there was a market in the courtyard every night. The vendors' wares were quite expensive. The store at the hotel was well stocked, and had everything you might need, however, VERY VERY expensive. Bring sunscreen from home, unless you think almost $40 for a $10 bottle of sunscreen is reasonable!

The food in the Sports Bar was delicious and the chef was friendly and so happy to make whatever we asked for.

There is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs at this resort. We are fairly fit, and had no problem with this, but we did see many people struggling to get around, having to take breaks on the paths. The zoo is fun, and the gardens were beautiful.

Overall we had a good time, but will probably not return to this resort, based on the disappointments with the food, the fact we did not get the room we booked, and the rocky, dangerous beach.

Room Tip: Building 1, 3rd floor, even number have great views. (eg 1306)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tara B
Dear taramellow,
I have read your comments and wish to thank you for taking your time writing your opinion about our Hotel. Our aim is always provide our guests the best service and comments like yours help us in this commitment.
About your disappointment with the King size bed request, we always try to satisfy all guest requests but I must tell you that we can’t confirm them because it depends to our hotel occupancy and your travel rep can’t confirm that in advance. About the food we will work hard to improve our quality and improve the assortment of food, especially at breakfast.
Again, thank you for your comments we really appreciate all reports that help us to improve our services.

Best Regards,
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were robbed of an Ipod and Blackberry Playbood the first time. These items were not left in the safe but on the desk in the room.Then after security came to our room and went through our safe. (not sure why because nothing was taken from our safe) The following day, things were missing from our safe. An Iphone and $150 usd. NB: the only people who would have access to a key to the safe would be security staff. Get what I am saying?
The staff and upper management treated us like crap during this whole episode and claimed they didn't believe us. It ruined our vacation and consumed our time with meetings with the hotel security staff and management that resulted in nothing. I would NEVER go back there as I felt unsafe and treated poorly through out this processs.
Also during our time there the hotel was full of drunk mexicans.
Save yourself some grief and book a different resort.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the main floor. These rooms are easily accessible to thieves.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,433 reviews
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!