“Overall, a great resort.”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary
“Overall, a great resort.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We traveled to this resort from December 16th - 23rd, 2012. We booked two rooms for two adults, and two 16-year old boys.

I was aware that this resort was not in Puerto Vallarta, but I didn't realize that it was almost 45 minutes away.

When you are leaving the airport to get the bus to the resort, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN AND DON'T TALK TO THE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION! These are timeshare salespeople, and they will cause you to miss your bus. They offer you free tours, meals, etc., but before you get the promised reward, you will sit through a 90 minute timeshare sales pitch (which has been reported to take as many as 7 hours!!)

The bus ride was comfortable and it is nice to be able to see some of the scenery on the ride to the resort.

Upon arrival at the resort, I was not overly 'wowed' by the lobby. It's nice, just nothing special. We were greeted with a cool fruity welcome drink, which was a nice touch. Check in was fast and pleasant. No issues there.

We did book a king-size bed, which we did not get. There were many people who complained about this while we were there, as well as many reviewers on tripadvisor.ca who have had the same issue. The double beds are NOT big enough for two adults. This was a disappointment, as we booked well in advance, and our travel rep contacted the hotel and CONFIRMED that we had this booked.

The resort itself was quiet, and I loved that I didn't get harassed at the beach by vendors. I was approached a couple of times, but a polite 'No, gracias.' was enough to send them on their way. The beach/water itself was very VERY rocky and we all suffered injuries (including a broken bone) from the rocks in the water. Bring shoes for sure, pay close attention to the swimming areas, and expect to get hurt by the rocks.

The rooms are nice, clean, basic. Nothing extraordinary. There is a mini-fridge which was stocked daily, and a coffee maker. We tipped both cash and small gifts to the maids and were very pleased with the service we received.

Balconies are small, and we did not spend any time out there for this reason. Usually, we enjoy coffee on the balcony in the morning, and a drink in the evening while watching the sunset, but there just wasn't the room to do that here.

The beds, as mentioned, were not what we had booked, and their double beds are not suitable for two people to sleep comfortably. Beds are harder than the ones at home, and do have covers on them, but I was quite comfortable, and did not find the plastic cover noisy or bothersome. I always travel with my own pillow, but the other travelers in my party had no issues with the pillows provided by the resort. You can rent 'better' pillows, for a fee.

Pools and grounds are nice and well-maintained. Staff are exceptional and work hard.

The food at the resort was our biggest disappointment.

El Bosque - The buffet restaurant was not great. Mornings at the buffet were ok...Service was AMAZING though. A lot of the time they were out of food, syrup, etc., and it took a LONG time for the empty trays to be refilled. The omelettes were very good, as was the french toast (if you could get some)! We did eat lunch and supper in the buffet as well, but were not impressed.

The buffet by the main pool was quite good for lunch, so this is where we ate during the day.

A la carte restaurants were much better.We ate at Viva Mexico, Portifino, and Ribs and more. I really enjoyed these restaurants, but the rest of our party really only enjoyed Ribs and More. (They aren't quite as open-minded about different foods.) If you wish to take advantage of the a la carte restaurants, you will need to be there early, 6:30pm ish, if you want to be seated. We were not made aware of the beach BBQ, and wish that we had known, as it looked like a good time, and smelled delicious.

Evening shows were ok. Typical Mexico-resort entertainment. We went to all but the burlesque show, which we thought was a bit inappropriate for a family resort. (we aren't prudes, but adult entertainment is for adults...)

We liked that there was a market in the courtyard every night. The vendors' wares were quite expensive. The store at the hotel was well stocked, and had everything you might need, however, VERY VERY expensive. Bring sunscreen from home, unless you think almost $40 for a $10 bottle of sunscreen is reasonable!

The food in the Sports Bar was delicious and the chef was friendly and so happy to make whatever we asked for.

There is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs at this resort. We are fairly fit, and had no problem with this, but we did see many people struggling to get around, having to take breaks on the paths. The zoo is fun, and the gardens were beautiful.

Overall we had a good time, but will probably not return to this resort, based on the disappointments with the food, the fact we did not get the room we booked, and the rocky, dangerous beach.

Room Tip: Building 1, 3rd floor, even number have great views. (eg 1306)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tara B
Alejandro C, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear taramellow,
I have read your comments and wish to thank you for taking your time writing your opinion about our Hotel. Our aim is always provide our guests the best service and comments like yours help us in this commitment.
About your disappointment with the King size bed request, we always try to satisfy all guest requests but I must tell you that we can’t confirm them because it depends to our hotel occupancy and your travel rep can’t confirm that in advance. About the food we will work hard to improve our quality and improve the assortment of food, especially at breakfast.
Again, thank you for your comments we really appreciate all reports that help us to improve our services.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were robbed of an Ipod and Blackberry Playbood the first time. These items were not left in the safe but on the desk in the room.Then after security came to our room and went through our safe. (not sure why because nothing was taken from our safe) The following day, things were missing from our safe. An Iphone and $150 usd. NB: the only people who would have access to a key to the safe would be security staff. Get what I am saying?
The staff and upper management treated us like crap during this whole episode and claimed they didn't believe us. It ruined our vacation and consumed our time with meetings with the hotel security staff and management that resulted in nothing. I would NEVER go back there as I felt unsafe and treated poorly through out this processs.
Also during our time there the hotel was full of drunk mexicans.
Save yourself some grief and book a different resort.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the main floor. These rooms are easily accessible to thieves.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Beverly G
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to the Palladium over Xmas, been to lot's of all inclusives, this is what we thought of the place. The location is quite aways from town, which was good for us, quiet with minimal beach venders, walk up to the highway and catch a bus for $1 and go where you want. The beach was decent, fairly deep, but bring water sandals because of the rocks in the water, good surfing, but too rough for snorkeling. The room was pretty typical, okay, clean, but nothing special, and very small balconies. Try the Barcelo Mismaloya for a impressive room. The grounds were nice, in a natural jungle with lot's of plants and trees, has it's own zoo there, the lobby and all the buildings were nothing special, your jaw didn't exactly drop when you arrived.
The service was okay, but you had to line up for drinks most of the time, there were a few really good bartenders however, and most of the staff did work pretty hard. We asked months in advance for a room with a king bed, never did get one in spite of asking everyday for three days for one, wasn't impressed with that. The drinks were okay if you got the right bartender, but the housewine was terrible, both red and white, that was very disapointing. Now the food, I don't understand how anyone can call it excellent unless they have never been anywhere. The buffet breakfast was typical, the omlette being a good choice, but they cheapened out on little things, normally I look forward to fresh sqeezed OJ, but it was Tang, or something like it and there was never any guakamole. Everthing basically tasted and smelled the same like most Mexican buffets. The restaraunts were nothing special, most of the food we had was cold and not much flavour, the sushi was okay in the Japanese restaraunt, but the tempura was cold and greasy. The beach bbq was supposed to be good, but we we into town to Philo's in La Cruz, that was good. All in all I never looked forward to eating, there was allways something, but it wasn't ever anything special. Last year we were at the Aventura Spa Palace below Cancun, there was no comparison in any way except the beach. The infinity pool was impressive sitting in it whatching the sunset and whales going by. The place is a diamond in the rough, has the potential to be alot better, tune up the food, rooms and the wine would be a good start, can see they are cutting corners to save money. One other thing, the place was almost all Mexicans, only a handful of Canadians and very few Americans, wasn't great for meeting to people because everybody was speaking spanish. The Royal Suites would be a better choice if one was going to go there, better rooms and food.

Room Tip: Royal Suites would be good, or be at least on the 2nd floor near the infinity pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John M
Dear John M,
I would like to thank you for comments and your review of our Resort. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product day by day. I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.
Of course, we will consider your comments about the rooms, the house wine (we are in process to get a new one) and the food in order to give you a better opinion if you decide come back to the Grand Palladium Vallarta in the future.
Thank you again for your remarks.
Kind Regards
Camrose, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent the week of Jan 13-20 at the Grand Palladium Vallarta and had a great time. This was our first visit to this side of Mexico and the only dissapointment was that we didn't see the sun for the first 2 days. As far as the resort is concerned, in my opinion it has something for everyone.

Rooms -
We were in Building 1 which is closest to the Adult pool. Room was a nice size, clean, with a king size bed. Some reviews have mentioned plastic covers on the bed which made them noisy. We didn't find that to be an issue. Also, the beds are stiffer than what we have at home, but we have found that to be the case at every resort we have visited in Mexico, not just this one. Our air conditioner did reset twice during the week (after short power failures) which prevented the setting from going below 22C. A phone call each time and maintenance was there within 10 minutes to fix it.

I am a little bit fussy about what I eat and I didn't have any problem finding something I liked at both the buffet or the restaurants we visited. My wife loved the fresh fish fillets at the buffet and I enjoyed the pasta station. We visited Bambu (japanese), the Ribs & More, and the Beach BBQ. All excellent, especially the beach bbq, eating under a beautiful sunset!!! The service at times was a little slow but I had no where to be so I didn't mind. Maybe if you have children, waiting 10 minutes to get your order taken would be frustrating. You don't need reservations to go to the a la cartes (except the beach bbq) but we did just so that we were guaranteed being able to eat when we wanted.

Bars
There were bars at each pool, on the beach and just outside the lobby,along with a sports bar and an incredible lounge - Hemmingways. The bar tender in Hemmingways makes the best Mojito in Mexico, so check it out!!

Pools/Beach
We spent most of our time by the adult pool or the beach and generally didn't have a problem finding chairs or shade (we were usually down there in the mornings, by afternoon it was a little harder to find shade spots). The adult pool was heated and was on the edge of a cliff so you could sit at the edge and over look the beach and ocean. A couple of days you could easily see whales out in the bay. The beach had beautiful soft sand and great waves on most days which was good for the boogie boarders and surfers. Equipment to do all kinds of water activities - surfing, boogie boarding, snorkeling, kayaking - was available right there for free. The also offered free surfing lessons each day.

Entertainment
Each night they had bands that played before and after the nightly shows which was a nice way to have a night cap. We only stayed for 2 nightly shows and they were all right but maybe not totally kid appropriate (costumes revealed alot).

Transportation
You can walk out to the highway and catch the public transportation for 10 pesos which will take you to Punta de Mita, Bucerias, or PV. If you want to take a taxi, the rates for different destinations are posted in the lobby.

Resort Layout
The resort is built into a hillside which makes for some incredible views but also presents some challenges. There are alot of stairs and incline/decline paths. If you have mobility issues this would create some serious issues. If you can handle stairs, as I mentioned, the views are worth it!! There is also a little on-site zoo that has some cool animals in it and is a nice novelty.

Summary
Overall great resort, good service, beautiful views and beach. We will be very happy to return to this resort!

Room Tip: Building 1 is closest to the adult pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff T
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jeff T
I read your comments about Grand Palladium Vallarta and I would like to thank you for your very good comments about this hotel. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay in Grand Palladium and I would like to let you know that we will send that information to all our staff that made that our guest enjoyed their vacations with us.
Please, let me know if you are planning to come back here and if I can help you with your reservation or anything else
Castlegar
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just got home from seven nights at the Palladium. Overall had a great vacation, but there were a few things that could be improved on. Check in was fast. Room was pretty good, however the beds are only doubles - not queens ! and have a noisy matress pad on them. Room requires room key for electricity to save on power, however not very good for the airconditioning system - only on when your in your room so it doesn't work so well and you can not adjust the temp. Also no fan in the bathroom - which left our room feeling quite muggy after showers. Fridge was restocked daily, maid service was good. Lots of stairs at the resort - I did not mind this as it was like you were still getting a work out on vacation. Store at resort very expensive! they wanted $38 for a bottle of sunscreen! Also vendors that come for the market are very, expensive! Way cheaper in town. Food was pretty good, lots of variety at the buffet - loved the crepe bar. Loved Havier in the buffet at dinner, he was so friendly and attentive and treated my little girl like a princess. A few mornings it was hard to get coffee in the buffet found it was better if you sat on the side closest to the lobby. The Ala Carte Restaurants are kinda hard to get into, they usually do three seatings at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30. I tried to make reservations but was told they did not take reservations and it was on a first come first serve basis - however when we did get a table in the restaurants some tables were reserved? I think only people staying in the Royal Suites can make reservations. We tried the mexican one which was average, a little unorganized, took a while to get service, and the salad bar was lacking and not replenished. We also ate at the asian one which was probably the best, food was good and service was way better. Every night they had live music in the courtyard, and put on a show in the theater which was pretty good, however there were a few little parts of some of the shows that were a little provocative for children - my daughter did not really pick up on it, but some people behind us did leave because they thought it was not appropriate for there grandchildren. Overall I thought the shows were pretty good, and the actors tried really hard. i didn't find Hemmingways until almost the end of our trip but was a great place to get a name brand drink and they also have a fridge full of late night goodies. The grounds of the resort are stunning and very lush, the little zoo we really enjoyed everyday. My daughter loved seeing the animals up close and it looked like they were well cared for. The beach was awsome!! When the tide is down there is an awsome tidal pool that you can see and find lots of little treasures in, my daughter found this amazing. The pool was great, we were a little disappointed there was no hot tub, and the adult pool is warmer, but no kids allowed. The resort is out of town, it is about a $26 cab ride one way! and NO shuttle service! We did walk out to the road and take the bus which comes by approximatley every half hour and only cost $2 for adults and $1 for kids, which was way cheaper, just make sure you know where you are going. The resort should look at offering a shuttle service for guest to share a cab or do a per person cost to cut down on cost and pollution. My daughter did the kids dolphine swim at Vallarta adventures and it was awsome. All in all I had a gredat time here and would return to this resort again, I found that on the first couple days you pick out the bad things but after you relax and settle in you just enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joseyd
Dera joseyd
I read your comments about Grand Palladium Vallarta and I would like to thank you for your comments about this hotel. I would like to say that we take very seriously all comments and suggestions that we receive from our guest in order to improve our services day to day. Regards your question I would like to confirm you that only people staying in Royal Suites Punta de Mita and our travel club guests can make reservations in our thematic restaurants
Please, let me know if you and your family decide to come back here and if I can help you with anything else
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here from January 14-21. We were 4 adults and 2 children. We had a junior suite on the main floor, we were happy with our room. Any issues we had were dealt with quickly.

We mostly used the main pool, the adult pool was too busy for our taste. We never had trouble finding 3 or 4 chairs together by the main pool. The beach is very nice, my 4 year old had a great time playing in the waves!

The kids club is great, I couldn't believe the selection of toys and activities there! The girls working there really seemed to enjoy the kids, I felt fine leaving my 4 year old and 1 year old with them.

Our group was split on the food. My husband and I and our kids thought the food was great, we always found something delicious to eat. The other two in our group thought the food was terrible. I think you just have to try a few different items until you find something you like. We tried three of the a la cartes, the Ribs 'n More was the best. The ribs and the ribeye steak were excellent. Avoid the Mediterranean restaurant, it wasn't very good.

The service was excellent everywhere on this resort! The drinks were great except for the wine, which is absolutely awful! We went off the resort to buy our own wine. That would be my biggest complaint. If we've already paid for our food and drinks why should we have to spend extra to get a decent glass of wine?

I would recommend this resort to those with small children, but not necessarily for those looking for a party scene. If you're picky with food, you should probably go to a 5 star. All in all it was a great week away in beautiful surroundings with fantastic service!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear rielofwpg
First of all, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about your vacations in Grand Palladium Resorts. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
In reference to your comments about our restaurants, I can assure you that we will take note about that in order to correct or improve them. As Grand Palladium Vallarta is an all inclusive, all comments that we receive from food and beverages helps us to know that our guest looking or expecting in their vacations.
Again, thank you for your comments about our staff and services and If I can help you in any way or decide to come back to Grand Palladium Vallarta please, let me know.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am currently still at the Grand Palladium Vallarta resort, but writing a review while I am still here seemed like the best thing to do. It took 4 hours to get an ashtray to my room so I could smoke on my balcony, the next day the ashtray was gone after the maid cleaned our room, a little annoying. I paid to get a beautiful finger painting done on a tile and left it to dry on a table in my room and the maid came to clean and set a magazine on the still wet painting and ruined it. I reported what happened and nothing was done about it which really upset me because I had paid a good chunk of coin for it. Our air conditioning sucked, wouldn't go lower than what the thermostat said was 22 Celsius but using my own thermometer it said it was 27 Celsius in our room. Took them a day and a half to do anything about it. The room next to me was occupied by people I knew and their toilet was constantly leaking and is still leaking. I asked for a king size bed and received 2 doubles?? Awesome. I think I deserve to be put in the royal suites for the remaining 3 days of my trip due to everything I have had to deal with so far. As of right now I will never be back to this resort unless something can be done I make things right..

• Stayed January 2013
#12 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!