“Welcoming, beautiful and relaxing!”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have just come back from the Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort and Spa and all I can give is a very positive review. It was my second time in Mexico (my first time was in Riviera Maya) and I was reminded of how friendly and welcoming Mexicans are. Our main purpose for this trip was to attend a wedding on site and our whole group had a blast.

The staff at the resort was amazing. Props to Juan at the front desk who made every possible effort to make sure we were all comfortable and to Giovanni at the Hemingway bar who is overall one of the best barman over there.

The resort is very clean, beautiful and there's really everything for everyone. If you don't feel like hanging at the main pool (where most of the kids go), you can swim and sunbathe at the adult pool overlooking the ocean. The beach is also very nice though you have to be careful since there's a lot of rocks at the bottom. It's also an amazing place for surfers! Though we didn't surf, other people from our group did almost everyday and were telling us how great the surf breaks were.

As for food, we got some very fresh food everyday. Of course, there's a nice selection of mexican classics (tacos, nachos, salsa, guacamole) but also fresh salads, pasta and desserts.

It's worth getting a taxi to visit the old town of Puerto Vallarta which is about 35-40 minutes away from the Grand Palladium. The one-way trip should not cost more than 350 pesos (about $35). Dealing with the taxi drivers is key here!

Overall, our week at the Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort and Spa was perfect. I would highly recommend this resort. Just like everyone, I had read some of the good and bad reviews but my suggestion to you is to make up your own mind about it and be positive about your trip! Enjoy!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the adult pool are quieter than the ones facing the main pool (where most kids...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nadia C
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Nadia C
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. I am indeed thrilled you enjoyed your visit and found our staff to be friendly and hospitable. I will surely share your comments with the team as well as Juan Martinez and Gionvanni.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasure experience again.
Best regards

Reviewed October 27, 2012

the staff was very friendly and welcoming! the food was amazing and the drinks cold and refreshing. we stayed there for a week in october and we had a great time. great place to get married too!!! the only problem we had, and really it was a minor one, was that the water pressure wasn't strong enough in our room making it a bit sketchy to take a shower. also, the water didn't get very hot. other than that, everything was superb!!

Room Tip: if you want less noise, take a room on the other side of the main pool. it will be quiter.
3  Thank kookie_world

Dear Kookie_world
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.
I am sorry too about your inconvenience with hot water and pressure, I would have liked to have the information while you were here so, we could have solved or investigated with our maintenance team what happened in your room…We have a maintenance department who really take care that all issues are solved on time. Nevertheless we will take inmediatly aciton in order to correct that.
If you plan to visit us on the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will personally take care of your booking, to ensure you have a perfect stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great place to stay, excellent, friendly staff, good food, beautiful grounds.
We stayed at the Grand Palladium Set. 29 to Oct. 6, 2012. upon check in, we were offered a free upgrade to the Royal Suites . What a pleasant surprise! Omar and Luis were very attentive to our requests and questions. Our room was comfortable, air conditioning could have been a bit cooler for our liking, but was certainly livable. It was 32C outside and down to 22C inside, so quite nice. The bed was comfortable as well.
Bar tenders, Felipe & Macario, Servers Armando, Hector, Mario, Tino, Carlos, Virgina, Yaqueline, and more we (names of whom we have forgotten), were all very good and friendly. Pepi, our sailboat captain was very good and pleasant too.
All the restaurants were very good. Food had very nice presentation and tasted good. The adult pools were the only pools we went in, and both (on the Palladium side as well as the Royal Resorts side) were a very nice temperature. We were there at a slow time, so not that many guests, but still the service was excellent.
A couple of things I would suggest is to have the paths lit up more at night. It was very dark walking back from our evening dinner and some guests used their cell phones to light the path. The only time the paths were well lit, was the evening there was a special function at the Ribs & More restaurant, with about 200 guests going to it. The path could have been lit every night like that.
The second thing... the bars of soap they gave you in the room.... had a very long time trying get a lather worked up. A minor thing.
There were many amenities available that we did not use, so cannot speak for them. We went for R & R and we got it.
In summary, would we stay there again..... YES!

6  Thank DustyRose54

Dear DustyRose54
First of all, thank you so much for your visit and I am thrilled you had such a great visit and we left you a memorable impression. Rest assured I have taken note of your comments regarding our staff. I am indeed honoured to have members of the team that help make our guests experience an unforgettable and special one. I will share your kind words to them.
We look forward to see you again and thank you for sharing your experience in Royal Suites Punta de Mita.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

this is the first part of the review, my girl and i are going there for a wedding and to celebrate our anniversary ive been reading all the reviews and im excited and scared at the same time. we asked ahead for a large bed i really hope we dont get 2 doubles like people have said. and ive heard the Air Con doesnt work in most of the rooms and i hope the people that say the food is good are right ,,haha well im looking forward to meeting the staff
anyways i will be back to write a review and to confirm what some people are saying (good or bad ) check back on Nov 10th
Rick and Jenn

4  Thank 1RickJenn1
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Barrie
I am glad to know that you and your partner are considering coming to Grand Palladium Vallarta in your next vacations.
Regards your request, we can not assure to our guests king size bed or two double beds because it is depends about the availability of the rooms. Nevertheless if you could send me and email with your request we will do our best to satisfied that. So I can add your notes in my system.
Hoping to hearing from you
Regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was our second time at this location, and a third trip is in the planning stage. The remote location and quiet that it affords was what we are drawn to. Travelling in mid-October is the most inexpensive time, and the quietest. Lots of families on the wekends, but during the week the hotel is reduced to about half. The staff are always effecient and good humoured, the food is great (especially the Mexican fare) and the setting is amazing. The only criticism would be that the air-conditioning could be a little cooler. For northern travellers, the minimum setting of 22 degrees celcius is slightly warm for sleeping.

Room Tip: Worth it to try and reserve a king sized bed with an ocean view.
5  Thank Darren J
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Darren J
I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us in your second visit to Grand Palladium.
best regards

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have been to P.V. quite a few times but this is the first time we stayed here. It can be expensive if you want to go into P.V., about $50 each way by taxi. Bucerias, Punta de Mita and Sayulita are alot closer. It's a great location if you surf or just want to get away and relax. The resort is set amid lush natural landscapes, almost jungle in feel. The adult quiet infinity edge pool is nice with great views to the ocean and the surfers. The main pool became quickly felt very small and congested when the resort filled up during the end of our stay. The beach is small and not alot of shade. All the ala carte restaurants are great. We ate at every one and thoroughly enjoyed all of our meals. Even though it was all inclusive, if you rec'd good service, leave a tip, they will remember you. My husband and I rec'd a fantastic appetizer that wasnt on the menu because we left a tip the night before. Breakfast buffet has lots of choices so nobody should walk away hungry. It was very quiet when we were there, Sept / Oct and we really enjoyed that. There are no elevators and lots of stairs throughout the resort, so if you have trouble walking, this might not be the place for you. We had room 1204 with great views of the adult pool, the ocean and the surfers. The only drawback was that it was 2 double beds, would of been better if it had a king bed, but that is minor. The pillows could do with being replaced with softer ones. One thing that isnt mentioned anywhere is that there is an adjacent "Royal Suites" side to this resort. Sometimes people get free upgrades, but if you want to upgrade yourself, it is expensive and from what we heard - not worth the money. Biggest plus is there isnt any beach vendors bothering you or timeshare salespeople. Negatives is that its far from P.V., small beach, not a lot of shade. This isnt the best 5* resort we have been to, there are definitely nicer ones out there, but for the super cheap price we paid, it's not bad. Not sure if it really ranks as a 5* though, maybe a 4.

Room Tip: room 1204 has a great view of the adult quit pool, ocean and the surfers.

Dear Susan,
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. This is an extensive report and I really appreciate the time that you took to write your comments about your stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta. I will take note about your good comments about our personal service too and let them know!. I hope that you decides to spend your next holiday with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email.
Best regards

Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you were like me, reading reviews on this place was extremely confusing! They were anywhere from worst place ever to amazing… After my recent stay, I think I can shed a little light. In my opinion the disparate reviews likely result from one of a few possible reasons…

1. If you are a 20-30 something person and are looking for a place to come party and drink heavily for a low price, don’t mind the staff at the pool screaming into loud speakers, running bingo games, trivia games, pool basketball games, water aerobics, etc, and the food is just there to put something in your stomach, then this would definitely be your place. If you are a family looking for a relaxing 5 star vacation, this would definitely NOT be your place. By the way, there is nothing wrong with either of these, it’s just that they market it as the latter, and it is most definitely not. In all fairness, we were there for a family wedding and despite all this had a great time just being all together.

2. A person has never been to a really nice resort and this is their first experience. If you had nothing to base your review on, you actually might think that this is a nice place.

3. There were numerous Mexican locals who (according to staff) come in on Thursday thru Sunday. I’m guessing they live a few hours away and are looking for a beach resort to come and cool off for a cheap price. They seemed to love all the craziness at the pool area… so maybe that is who they are catering to.

4. It is possible that the Royal Suites is way better, but some who stayed there said no. Should probably review these as different hotels.

FOOD: As I read the reviews, I kept thinking, how bad can the food really be? Verdict: Horrendous! I’ve been to a lot of buffets at hotels that were absolutely delicious. When you read the word buffet here, you need to instead substitute the word “cafeteria.” Although, that is kind of being mean to cafeterias… most of which are way better than this place. The restaurants are not any better. We ordered steak at the Rib/Steakhouse and I couldn’t even cut it. It wasn’t just mine, it was everyone at the table and it took over 1 hour to be served. It was only that quick because we had to keep asking for someone to come and take our order. The hostess finally did. Travelling from the US to Mexico, I always love trying interesting local cuisine… at this place, the only thing I found really edible were the burgers…. And they were in no way good, just edible.

SERVICE: As above, you can imagine. It’s not that people are rude, it is just that the service is non-existent. By the end of the trip, if someone came and asked me if I wanted a drink at the restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised.

BEACH: As someone else wrote before, the beach is the saving grace. It is actually very nice and had good surfing.

ICING ON THE CAKE: We decided to cut our stay short and go spend 2 nights at the 4 Seasons. Now that is 5 star hotel beyond belief. On checkout, they informed me that I owed 35 pesos for a phone call. Here is what is insane. I did try to make some local phone calls, but was unsuccessful as they have a policy that your phone line is disabled unless you give a deposit of $4 up at the front desk. It is otherwise impossible to actually dial out. I decided not to give a deposit and thus my line was locked down. As much as I explained how it was thus ludicrous that he was charging me for a phone call which he admitted was impossible to make, they still wanted to charge me. I was so fed up and wanted to get out of that place that I just paid it…. But just an example of the mentality of the hotel.

RECOMMENDATION: Whoever the lady is who keeps answering people’s reviews… take the money that you got from me and head over to the 4 seasons for 2 nights and see what you should be doing, because if you want to call yourself a 5 star resort, you have it all wrong. Alternatively, call yourself a 3 star resort and be the best one out there. Also, get rid of the screaming DJ’s at the pool. Get rid of 80% of the food and just do a few dishes really well… Right now everything is horrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
27  Thank Gardine
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

MR./Mrs. Gardine:
I respect all our guests’ opinions and I understand some guest could not enjoy their stay with us, nevertheless, in this case I would like to add some comments:
Thank you for your advice regards me going to the four seasons to see what is a good hotel for you. Fortunately it not necessary, I know we are offering in comparison with other companies. It is a little bit complicate try to explain here who and why reason the categories of the hotel are decided. I only want to clarify that it is impossible to compare that hotel because are different in services, price, rooms, etc etc.
Regards your comments about our national guest, Well… yes, we are in Mexico and our entire guest are welcome here, nevertheless their nationality. We receives international and national guest and while they keep our rules and do not disturb anybody are welcome. The majority of our guests come from different states of the country for a weekend in the summer months and probably they are travelling 10 hours or more to come here to enjoy a weekend. I am really sorry if you do not felt comfortable with our activities program in our main pool but we have different areas in order all our guest can find that they are looking for. An adult pool without animation activities, a beach, a salt water pool, a baby club, kids club, etc etc. If someone does not like our activities program they can go to another area and enjoy relax and peaceful…
I am sorry that you do not like our food and beverages options like our activities program or our hotel in general. I agree that there are confusing reviews but If you see our punctuation is 4 of 5 in trip advisor. just let me clarify that we received and excellence certificate from same page, so that means, that fortunately we have more happy guests than unhappy and I hope that’s helps to the people who look that specific page to solve their doubts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!