“Great Experience Again!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Regina, Canada
“Great Experience Again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our second trip to the Palladium, and this time we took our whole families (both my husband's and my own). There were 17 of us there in July, and it was fantastic. When we first got there they were overbooked for the regular rooms, and they upgraded 7 of us to the Royal Suites for free. This was nice, however we did not make very much use of the upgrade because the rest of our group could not come over to the Royal Suites, so we spent the majority of our time in the main common areas anyways.
The food was great, our favourites were the pasta bar in the main buffet and Bamboo Restaurant was a hit, I think we went there 4 or 5 times. I have a severe avocado allergy and my friend is severely allergic to shrimp, and one of the members of our group is vegan. The staff gave us allergy and special diet cards and took extreme care to keep us all healthy and happy.
Some especially great service we received was from Giovanni at Hemingway's, and from Fernando at the beach. Giovanni spent many nights entertaining us and making special shots and getting us to try new things. He always knew the kinds of drinks each of us liked and had one ready for us within a few seconds of us walking in. This kind of service really made our evenings enjoyable and memorable. It was also really great to have somewhere air conditioned since we are from Canada and were there in July, the heat was great but the air conditioning was much appreciated at the end of the day.
Fernando showed special care at the beach when some of our group members wanted to go surfing (first time for all of them). He gave the lessons and then stayed out with them. I am especially thankful for this because my sister in law fell and took in a lot of water. She hit her head on the bottom and was getting tumbled by the waves. He got her and brought her right back to shore. He then checked on her every couple hours. We really appreciated this care and attention after she was involved in a bit of a scare. The others who went surfing had a lot of fun and even managed to catch a couple waves.
One of the guys in our group cut his foot badly on some glass (even though there are strict rules about glass on the beach I guess someone managed to get some down there and it ended up in the water). The medical staff got him stitched up and on antibiotics right there at the resort within a matter of minutes. When he got back home he went to the doctor who told him that everything the doctor at the resort had done was perfect and he didn't have anything to worry about. Since this accident was only about halfway through the trip, our friend did have to stay out of the water. Fernando convinced him to go out on a catamaran with my husband (promising that they wouldn't get his stitches wet) and they had a blast.
We are so thankful for the friendly service we received during our time here, and we would love to come back for a third time.

Room Tip: If you are unhappy with anything about your room, just ask and if your experience is anything like o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Emma M
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Emma M.
First of all, thank you so much for give us another oportunity and visit us for your second time. I am thrilled you and your family had such a great visit and we left you a memorable impression again. Rest assured I have taken note of your comments regarding our staff. I am indeed honoured to have members of the team that help make our guests experience an unforgettable and special one. I will share your kind words to them.
We look forward to see you again and thank you for sharing your experience Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort and Spa. Please feel free to contact me directly in your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (881)
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I can't say enough about the excellent service we received during our stay, especially the kitchen and dining room staff. Special shout out to Mario and Tino!
The only concern I had was the pillows need to be updated and the rooms at the Royal Suites need to updated and given a thorough cleaning.
Overall experience was great!

Room Tip: Ask for the Royal Suites! It's adult only and breathtaking view from the dining room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank valler2
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Valler2
First of all, thank you so much for your visit and I am thrilled you had such a great visit and we left you a memorable impression. Rest assured I have taken note of your comments regarding our staff. I am indeed honoured to have members of the team that help make our guests experience an unforgettable and special one. I will share your kind words to them.
We look forward to see you again and thank you for sharing your experience in Grand Palladium Vallarta.
Edmonton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

My 18-year-old son and I stayed at the Palladium the last week of August. It was our first ever trip to Mexico, so we had no idea what to expect. The best information I got was from the travel tour's guide on the bus from the airport to the hotel. We certainly felt left to our own devices at the hotel itself.

First with the good: our room was pretty nice, and the chambermaid service we received from Yadira was excellent. Also thank you to Alejandro at the Secret Bar, who was wonderful. In fact, the working staff (non reception or management) were all very accommodating.

What I did not expect, and this may not be exclusive to the Palladium, was that everything except our room was open air. At each meal, there were birds swooping in to scavenge the leftover food on the tables, and sometimes in the buffet selections themselves. The birds were often joined by wasps or large black moth-like creatures in and around the food. There were tiny ants all over the tables and bird droppings on chairs.

Wifi was available only in the lobby, which was also open air and extremely hot and uncomfortable.

On the third day of our stay, most of the existing guests checked out and the occupancy dropped from about 400 to about 90 guests. The resort immediately closed the main restaurant, except for breakfast time, which was the buffet, and the only place where one could eat at almost any hour. Guests were required to then make reservations at one of the a la carte restaurants (only two of which were open on any given day) for the remainder of the week. To go into the a la carte restaurants, men were required to wear long pants and a collar shirt (which are very hot for an open air restaurant), and my son had not brought these items, since this requirement was not mentioned beforehand. Also, the a la carte restaurants were not great and since we could only get reservations at 6:00, there were no food options later in the evening if we were hungry, except the sports bar (popcorn, hot dogs). When I was reluctant to make a reservation at the Mexican restaurant (I am not a big meat eater, and beans don't agree with me) the porter got snippy with me about not liking Mexican food - which isn't true, but this restaurant was all meat and beans. We didn't have the opportunity to look at the fare offered at each restaurant before making reservations, and wound up walking away from our meals on two occasions, and having to fill up on popcorn at the Sports Bar later. There were no longer any fresh fruits or vegetables that had been available in the main restaurant.

After closing the main restaurant - which meant that lunch was only at the snack bar, where one could get pizza, hot dogs or hamburgers with a large helping of birds - the resort starting recycling breakfast from days past. I went down one morning and got some pancakes that were hard as rocks around the edges. There were scrambled eggs with hot dogs cut up into them (yuck!), which I am pretty sure were yesterday's scrambled eggs with the leftover hot dogs from the Sports Bar last night. I don't understand why they couldn't just make fresh breakfast but vastly reduce the quantities prepared. They knew what their bookings were for the week, and I feel as though I paid for all-inclusive only to have the deal changed after I arrived. When I expressed my concerns to the front desk/management, I got "yes, ma'am, I'm sorry ma'am", but no action or solutions.

While I was in the Sports Bar to dine on popcorn yet again, the pop machine wasn't working (neither was the ice cream machine) so I stepped out to go to the adjacent/attached main bar for a coke. A staff member chased me down to tell me that I wasn't allowed to remove food from the Sports Bar (the popcorn). He wouldn't let me walk the 10 feet to the main bar for coke - I had to go back into the Sports Bar and send my son to get us some drinks.

The water available from the taps was either warm or hot, so there was no way to have a cool shower after the day's heat. The fridge barely kept the drinks at room temperature, and even the ice in the machine (which was two floors down and on the other side of the building) was barely frozen. When I filled my glass to the brim with ice and brought it back to my room, it was already half melted. Although I drained the excess water, with the room temperature coke poured overtop, the rest of the ice soon melted and I had cool watery coke.

The toilet backed up on our 4th day, which I promptly reported to the front desk. We went out for a while, then to dinner, then watched the show and returned to our room to go to bed only to find the toilet still backed up and untouched. I had to go back to the desk in the morning to complain, and then the toilet was promptly unclogged (but still icky from the backing up). The bank machine in the resort wouldn't connect for two days, so we were "stranded" on the resort, having no cash for cab fare, bus fare, tips or souvenirs that we might go out for. By the time I got money, we had two days left in our stay, and we went into Bucarius to shop and for a wonderful lunch (mexican food, btw Mr. Snippy Porter). It was the best day of our entire trip.

With the main restaurant closed, and our checkout time being 12:00, and the snack bar (the only lunch option) not being open until 12:30, we were pretty hungy from noon until our bus arrived at 1:45 to take us to the airport. We ate at the airport, since our flight was not until 5:00. It was pretty hot sitting in the lobby for 2 hours after checkout. When we checked out, the man at the desk gave us the address to this site and recommended we write a review of the hotel. I told him he might not want us to do that, because if he offered me to return at no charge, I would have to think pretty hard before accepting a free stay.

Many people have told me to not let this first bad experience put me off of Mexico...but having not seen much of the world, I have many more destinations I will explore before I go rushing back - and it certainly won't be to the Grand Palladium if and when I do.

Room Tip: Unless you are in a Royal Suite, who cares about the view? The plan is not to spend a lot of time i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Leanne M
Dear Leanne M,
I am sorry to learn that your stay and experience at the Grand Palladium Resort and SPA in Vallarta was a disappointing one.
About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our guests help us.
Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at this resort at the end of July for a week. We got an incredible deal at this hotel since it was low season and now I understand why it was so cheap. I would like to point out because it is NOT clear in other reviews that there are essentially 2 hotels at this resort - the adult only side (Royal Suites) and the Grand Palladium. We stayed in the Grand Palladium side. All in all, I would not recommend or stay at this hotel again.

The Good: The hotel underwent a a major renovation and overall the grounds were nice. The beach is probably the best part of this hotel, and its saving grace. They have a bar down at the beach which is convenient so that you don't have to trek all the way back up to the pool area for a drink or glass of water. I would recommend to the hotel that they provide "water" stations around the pool area so that you don't have to wait so long for a bartender to get you a glass of water. The zoo and garden areas were well maintained too. The rooms themselves were clean and the bathrooms were large. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning our room everyday. And the people that work at the restaurants and bars work really HARD. And were quite friendly.

The Bad: As many other reviewers have stated, we booked a partial ocean view room and had a "free" upgrade to an ocean room. When we checked in they could not accommodate this request. It said nowhere in our reservation that we would only be upgraded, if available. I emailed our travel agent the next day and miraculously they were willing to put us in an ocean view room. This hotel desperately needs to fix their AIR CONDITIONING PROBLEM. It went out several times - once from 10pm until 4am. Our room was so miserably hot that we opened the door however there was no breeze. Even when the air is working, the hotel won't let you drop the temperature below 22 degrees (72 Fahrenheit) which is not that cool given an outside temperature over 90 with 100% humidity. And only 2 of the restaurants have A/C - who wants to eat a sit down dinner (in pants which is required for men) when it's boiling in the restaurant.

The Bad: the food is TERRIBLE. The breakfast buffet has your usual omelet station and other hot items. Lunch was just OK. The worst part was the dinner restaurants. All of the restaurants served sub par food that we barely touched (bland and over salted). By the 3rd night we were so disappointed with the food that we went into Punta Mita and had an amazing dinner. This is an all inclusive resort so my expectations were not that high; however, I expect a dinner to at least be edible. And the hotel says you don't need reservations (which you can't even make unless you are staying at the Royal Suites side); this assumes you show up right when the doors open. If you try to go to dinner at 7:30 or 8pm forget it - you'll be eating at the buffet (again).

Another thing to note, which might not bother some people, but the only place in the ENTIRE hotel that has wifi is the lobby area. The rooms don't have it (you'd think they would with a major renovation). This might not bother most, but it is worth pointing out. And the lobby area is HOT and swarming with mosquito's so to say the least not many people are hanging out there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brie16
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Mr./Mrs Brie16
Thank you for your comments and I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay.
About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. We will take note about your comments regards our food and beverages variety. We have a daily menu on the buffet that change every day. We offer to our guests seven thematic dinners (Italian, Spanish, French, Mexican…)
Regards your comment about air conditioning on the room, let me explain you that our hotel is certificated with an environmental program called “Earth Check” that means we need to follow some standards about several items like recycling, support community, energy control, water… the majority of them are explained to our guest on different parts of the hotel and in our internal environmental channel. One of our main goals is to reduce the energy that we use in the hotel. We try to have all our room temperature to 22 grades minimum. The international standard shows that a temperature comfort in a room is 24 grades. Nevertheless we understand that in the area of the hotel there are humidity and hot and it is that because we program all thermostats to 22 maximum. Nevertheless, I understand all our guest are different and have different necessities and We will check your disconformities about that.
Again I am really sorry your experience in our resort do not accomplish your expectations, I will take note about your suggestions in order to improve our day to day services.
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Going to make this as short as possible
Good things: Cheap as we got it through groupon, waiters and bartenders were pretty good, scenery was pretty.

Bad Things: front desk cutomer service was well below par, FOOD ( try your luck at the buffet as a lot of the locals don't know manners, with the huge population of kids running around with no parents cutting in line and picking up food with their hands and sometimes putting it back). We complained to the attendants and they laughed about it, not to mention it is in an open room with no windows so birds were eating food off the next table as we ate. The theme restaurants are ok, again you get what you paid for, we ended up only eating there 3 times and we stayed for seven days.
REALLY BAD PART: The air conditioning went out for 3 days, water and electricity went out twice, they said it was outside causes but the other American families called other resorts nearby since they had kids and it was too hot without air and nobody else had a problem, found out they were having issues with financing per an employee. They got air back but they locked the temperature at 80 to cut down on costs, which is still hot especially with the humidity there. We ended up being the only American couple to stay and four other couples left to go to another resort as we did not have the money to change. They refused to compensate for this but groupon ended up giving us half our money back in credit. I hate to bad mouth cause I just like to go on vacation, but again it is not a place with high standards, still pretty though. A lot of local kids/families there as they sell day and weekend passes, I would not say it would be a place I reccomend to American families. There are a lot nicer places to stay in Vallarta and Vallarta Adventures was by far the best experience we had there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank escarlets12
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Escarlets12,
It is true that our hotel receives guests from different nationalities. There are national and international guests and we try make all our guest vacations an unforgettable experience. During the summer months, we have more national than international guest because it is a school vacation period in this country. The resort tries to offer the same service and personalized attention to all our guests during the entire year. I apologies if you couldn’t enjoy your vacation because the other guest behavior. We will take note about your comments regards our food and beverages variety in order to correct them. We have a daily menu on the buffet that change every day. We offer to our guests seven thematic dinners (Italian, Spanish, French, Mexican…)
I would like to explain you that we had a big problem with our public energy supply. All the area was affected with a lightning storm that affected our services. The hotel has an emergency power generator which supplies the necessary electricity just for the basic services: light and electricity for some areas. Unfortunately the rest of the services like air conditioning or water relied totally on federal electricity commission. That was the cause of our lack of services during two days. We try to correct that problem as soon as we can but, as I said, it is depends on an external company. Unfortunately, it was a situation completely out of our control and we only have the information that the external company which was work with us, provided us. In this case, the situation was beyond of our possibilities. Fortunately we could solve that situation and we are working properly now.
I would like to clarify that the situation affected all hotel. I am not sure about the information that provides an employee about our financing politicizes but I can assure you that it is not true. We always trying to explain as better as we can the situation in order all our guests can known and act like they decides.
Again, I really apologize for your discomfort. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and make our guests vacation an enjoyable experience.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a great time . The staff was very friendly and helpful just to mention a few by name: Juan and Omar at the Front desk treated us like Royalty were very knowledgable and helped us a lot. Alberto is a great and friendly waiter in the restaurants and always had a greeting and smile for us. You could not ask for a better bartender at the pool bar then Alejandro. Our maid had the room always clean and tidy Whatever we used from the fridge in the room was always replaced the next day. Martelino is also a great and helpful member of the staff. We were in room 1108 and the view of the ocean was great. We also found the food for the value very good. The Zoo and the tropical landscape with all the different trees and flowers was very well kept and great to walk through .We would like to recommend this resort to anyone wanting to get away from the stressful life in the city.we certainly are looking forward to staying at this resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank h-h57
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear h-h57,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your excellent comments about your stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta and especially about our staff. We strive to make every guests vacation one that they will remember as their best vacation ever.

We will pass to our personnel your comments about the food and the service. These comments help and give motivation to the team and to improve our service day to day.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment.

Best regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

First off let me just say how unbelievably beautiful this resort is. If you want a secluded out of the way resort this couldn't get any better. The overall experience we shared at this resort was great. Lots of places to drink. Very clean. Most of the staff was very good with the exception of the few that didn't seem to speak a word of English, those ones seemed to avoid you if they were sure you didnt speak Spanish. The cleaning staff and bar staff were all very good, very friendly. The zoo and botanical garden were also very nice.

The only true negative of the entire trip, and it's a big one, was the food. Now, everyone we talked to prior to our trip told us how amazing the food was in Mexico, and i must say it was quite the opposite. For a 5 star resort to serve that bland of food is truly mind blowing. Breakfast and lunch were practically identical everyday. Most of the food in both breakfast and lunch had no flavour or tasted like fish. I understand it may be different during peak times as we did visit during off season, but that doesn't mean those guests are any less important than the ones that visit during peak times. The even bigger downfall was supper. First you make reservations, and they start at 6:30pm. But if you book for 6:30 you stand outside the a la carte restaurant for 15-30 mins waiting for them to finish doing whatever it is that they are doing with no communication to let you know what's going on. There were no buffets in the evening, so you chose one of two a la carte restaurants or the sports bar that offered a minimal menu after 6 pm. I was also told that you typically get a small snack and drink bar in your room. We had no snacks, only drinks. They were replenished daily but snacks would have been great. Having to pay for snacks that were from the only store on the resort, with a terrible selection, wasn't how I anticipated eating in the evenings.

I would definitely return to this resort during the busy season if I was sure the food was vastly improved. Like stated earlier amazing resort. But in an all inclusive the food is a huge part.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Taylor H
Dear Taylor H,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays in our resort. For us is very important the opinion of our guests, as our aim everyday is to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients.

In regards, to your comments about the food, we deeply regret your impression about it and I would like to clarify that regardless the season, our guests are the most important and we try to always offer the best of the quality and service, and even more personalized service when the occupation allow us. Nonetheless, we appreciate so much your comments to improve our offer.

I really would like if you give us another opportunity, and I truly believe that you will be positively surprised with all strides that we are doing in many areas of the hotel.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kind regards,
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,433 reviews
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!