“Nice quiet day”
Review of El Anclote

El Anclote
More attraction details
Owner description: Remote beach area north of Puerto Vallarta accessible by a long winding road along mango groves.
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We took the ATM bus out of PV Northbound. Easy to get on it stops in front of the Walmart and other locations along the main ave where you can get on. It is 23 pesos to get on and it takes you past Bucerias and North on to Punta de Mita. It is the last stop and the buses run frequently. It does take about 1 hr to get there. Once there you get off the bus walk directly down the hill to quiet beach of El Anclote and it is a beautiful beach. It is very peacful and a good way to spend the day out of the busy PV area.

3  Thank Jengar
There are newer reviews for El Anclote

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Bring water shoes because there are rocks from the tide coming in and out.

2  Thank Coco09Chicago
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We took a bus from Puerto Vallarta to Punta de Mita to go to the beach. It saved us a ton of money over taking a cab plus we got to see a lot more of Mexico but it did take a couple hours. We had a snack at one of the restaurants and we played in the sand for a little while. The waves are not too strong and the sand is nice and soft so it was perfect for the kids. We asked the waiter if he knew of anyone who could take us to the Marietas Islands and he recommended Thomas. My husband paid him $100 USD and he took the 4 of us out for 3 hours to snorkel. It was an amazing time. The Marietas are only about 15 minutes from Punta de Mita rather than a couple hours if you leave from the Marina in Puerto Vallarta. When we came back from our snorkerling trip the restaurant workers were really nice about letting us use their bathrooms to change. The hotel manager at one of the hotels even walked us over to the bus stop to make sure we got on the right bus. Everyone in the area was really friendly and helpful.

4  Thank EmilyJ_photographer
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I love the beach at El Anclote and have visited for years eating at the wonderful little places on the beach. I always thought that to sit with my feet in the sand was fun and a little rustic. This time I was shocked at the prices charged to sit with my feet in the same sand I have put them in for 20 years and pay so much for my dinner. It is still an exotic place to be, the sand is still warm and inviting and I still loved being there. So, I would go again!

2  Thank Suzie T
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We were in Punta de Mita in Feb 2010 to attend a family wedding and reunion. Some of us stayed at the El Anclote condos. The complex consists of 5 buildings, each with 3 floors and an elevator. It's gated, has parking, and a pool. It is nicely situated on top of a small hill, which affords each condo beautiful, breathtaking, panoramic views of Banderas Bay. We had a corner pent house condo, and it was quite large - 2-bedrooms, 2-bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, living/dining room, foyer, high ceilings, spacious balcony. Our condo had A/C, which came in handy. There were towels (bath and beach), laundry detergent, kitchen-ware, etc. for our use. Although some condos could use a little updating, some were very well-maintained.

There are plenty of activities in the Punta de Mita area: golfing, fishing, ziplining. The kids had a blast learning to surf with Ricardo Andrade of Olas Vallarta. And we had a chance to take a boat trip to Las Islas Marietas. It was hard to snorkel there as the seas were a bit rough that day - but we enjoyed watching the humpback whales along the way. One of the wedding activities was a ladies' event at the Villa Ananda Spa - it was heavenly practising yoga by the beach in the morning sun.

Regarding the condos, the only advice I have is to make sure you get what the owners (or brokers) advertise, and what you paid for. This is true for all condo rentals, not just at the El Anclote. For instance, our condo advertised satellite TV, but there wasn't one - in fact, there was only one channel. We were there at the time of the Olympic games, and my family wanted to watch some of the events - one of the reasons I chose this condo was because it had satellite TV. My husband and teenagers went across the street to the Hotels des Artistes to get their Olympic fix. Another false advertisement: the walkway/bridge for direct access to the beach is closed indefinitely, due to some legal problems. We had to use the car to drive my 84-year-old father-in-law across the street, as he had difficulty negotiating the steep hill to the beach and restaurants. The condo also had a telephone number where people could reach us - the only problem was, there wasn't a telephone in the condo! I reported the problem to the broker we had been dealing with for the condo rental, but no phone appeared. Unfortunately, with wedding and family reunion activities, we made so many local calls. I just received my cell phone roaming charges, which is why I'm writing this review!

Before you hand your money over, just double-check everything that's being offered. Go through the list with the owner/broker, get expectations out in the open, and identify big-deal items. Renters should be compensated if the owners don't fulfill their end of the deal. And ask for a contact (preferably a local one) who can be entrusted to sort out problems - quickly.

4  Thank zionrocks