“Couldn't ask for more” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
San Diego, California
“Couldn't ask for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2007

It's a great place when you want the Four Seasons treatment Mexico style. Loved the location, about 30 min drive from airport, but worth the drive. Location is private, but with all the amenities needed to still have a great time. Good for families, but get ready to go up and down some hills when wandering around the resort. Staff is friendly, beaches are beautiful, view is awesome and the sunsets are the best!

• Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mclayn23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

We've just returned from an almost perfect vacation at the Punta Mita Four Seasons. I cannot stress enough how wonderful the people are that work there. They are warm, helpful, funny, friendly and, most of all ,genuine.
The resort is beautiful, starting with the lobby. The stonework throughout the resort is gorgeous. We enjoyed the birds all around the resort. We were awakened by a funny bird called a chachalacka (?) - so horrible sounding it was funny. Our oceanview room had a limited ocean view, which i thought would be a disappointment, but it wasn't. The rest of the resort is very open to the ocean.The pools were very nice ,although I thought they were a little too warm. The ocean was more refreshing.
We golfed everyday. The course was empty. We were never rushed or held up. The design of the course is fun while still challenging. Hole 3B(island hole) is fun. The golf staff and refreshment crew are the Best.
We had dinner at Bahia the first night. It was, by far, our favorite restaurant at the resort. The waiters were great. The steaks were tender.The selection of sauces for your meat or seafood is extensive. The decor consists of beautiful ocean colors and white. The sun sets right over the ocean in front of you. We went to Ketsi every morning for breakfast, which was good. Dinner there was okay.

I recommend taking a van down to Punta de Mita for dinner. We ate at Tino's (all seafood - great, strong margaritas!) and El Dorado's (Owner very nice, good fajitas). You sit right on the beach and you can watch the happy locals swim and enjoy their cervasas!

The only complaint I have is that there was an insurance convention going on during our stay. The insurance people "took over" the restaurant at breakfast and would speak loudly to each other from their tables and were just basically rude. We had to witness the "head guy" (as he was loudly identifying himself) berating the golf staff for basically no reason. They had get-togethers on the beach at dinner which you had to weave your way through to get to Bahia. They were so obtrusive, rude and acted like they owned the place. We've had extremely annoying experiences like this on several vacations and I just didn't expect it at a Four Seasons.

That being said, we had such a great vacation and we are looking forward to returning to PMFS.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Catered to conventions
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank jgms4
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

My family (me and the wife, boys 5 and 8, my parents) spent one week here in May, and it was hands down the best holiday we have experienced. Yes, it is expensive, but worth every penny. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and at this resort you are well rewarded in every aspect of your stay. The food was great, the grounds were beautiful, and most impressive was the sublime service. The resort is particularly well suited for multi-generational groups such as mine. Children are catered to, while not taking away from more adult acitivties the resort has to offer. You will not be disappointed if you holiday here; the resort raised the bar on my experiences in any of the five star properties I have visited in Hawaii (Four Seasons Maui), Mexico (Esperanza, Ritz) and the Caribbean (Cap Juluca).

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DTC
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2007

Because everything was so FANTASTIC (room, food, drinks, grounds, etc) I'm going to keep it short and write about a couple of the things that struck me most:

My friends and I had dinner at Bahia and watched the sunset. The food was out-of-this-world... And at night, they light up the rocks in the ocean so you can still see the waves crashing against them in the darkness... very cool, almost eerie, breathtaking and beautiful...

The service is probably the best I've ever experienced. The staff take every measure to make sure that you are happy and comfortable. When you call for a cart (golf carts take you all over the place, because the resort is so big) they come right away.

During lunch, we sat in the shade at Ketsi, I was getting really chilly with the cool breeze blowing around. Our server offered me a warm shawl because she had noticed that I was cold..... :O wow

There are SO many things to do there! Yoga in the mornings on a rock cliff above the ocean, kayaking, fishing etc... My friends and I pitched in and rented the yacht and went scorkelling and on the wave-runner (is that what it's called?)... on our way back, dolphins were jumping along-side the boat!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

And apparently the place was at full occupancy, but I could never tell. Apart from seeing people in the restaurants and by the pool/beach, it was so quiet and peaceful that I never ever would have guessed that the place was packed.

I honestly can't say enough about this place. It was fantastic. I plan to return there later on this year in the Fall. And already I can't wait...

The only drawback is that it's expensive... ALWAYS ask how much something is before you request it (such as international newspapers... i think it was $6.00 USD!!)

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — the cost of some things, but what can y'do? it's a treat
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank andyfromtoronto
McKinney, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2007

May 3 – 8, 2007 was our second visit to the Four Seasons Punta Mita. We think the service is what makes the difference at this resort. This resort is the most prestigious resort in the area, and attracts the best local staff. We thought the staff were just a notch better than FS Hualalai (2006) and a whole lot better than FS Great Exuma (2005).

So, here’s what I think you might want to know about this resort:

Location:

With all the new development in the area, it’s still 45-minutes from the airport. And, if you want to go to Puerto Vallarta for shopping & dining, it’s at least 1-hour away.

Suggested guest room accommodations:

Before I mention room types, I need to tell you about the resort’s layout. The resort is spread out, so you will be doing a lot of walking. The resort’s bell staff will drive you to, and pick you up from, your guest room at any time. If you like an easy walk to the resort’s lobby for complimentary morning coffee, to the main Nuna pool, to the beaches, and to the restaurants, then request accommodations in buildings Tortuga, Flor, Caracola, or Mariposa. Otherwise, plan on walking quite a bit.

In our opinion, Premium Ocean View Casitas provide a partial view, not a full view, but will connect you to the sounds and sights of the Pacific Ocean. Oceanfront casitas provide a full view, but not direct access to the beach. Only Beachfront casitas provide a full view and easy access to the beach. Because the resort’s beautiful landscaping has filled in over the past 9 years, Ocean View rooms may not provide enough view to meet your expectations. I’m sure the suites are fabulous, and if price is no object, in order to maximize your time at this beautiful resort, then by all means book a suite.

Restaurants:

Bahia, located on the beach, open for lunch and dinner, was a new addition for our second stay, and became our favorite for lunch. We enjoyed the lobster Cobb salad and the steak sandwich (see my pics). It’s shady, peaceful, relaxing, right on the beach, and the service and food were perfect every time. You should plan on spending $35 - $40 p.p. inclusive for a cocktail and sandwich or salad. Bahia also has a bar where you can sample some of the resort’s fine tequilas.

Ketsi, located by the main Nuna pool, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner is the resort’s primary casual dining restaurant. It has the typical Four Seasons big breakfast buffet with the omelette station. Or, you can order off the menu. You should plan on spending $30 - $40 p.p. inclusive for both breakfast and lunch.

Aramara, open for dinner, is the resort’s fine dining restaurant. It has a Chino Latino menu theme, and before wine, plan on spending $75 - $100 p.p. inclusive on 4-courses.

The hotel lobby provides some seating and beverage service. We enjoy cocktails at sunset from the lobby.

Beaches and pools:

You have two beaches and three pools to enjoy. New to our second visit was a circular pool that surrounds the newest guest room building, called Oasis. It has a current Jacuzzi flow system, so you sit in an inter-tube and float around the building in about 8-miuntes. It has a bar, and will soon have food service. Older kids, or adults who like to act like kids, love this pool, and it was a great idea because the Oasis building is quite a distance from the resort’s lobby. So, it adds a positive amenity feature to a negative guest room location. Smart move.

We think the Nuna Pool (main pool) is the most beautiful Four Seasons pool that we’ve seen. We like it better than the Four Seasons Great Exuma, Hualalai, Costa Rica, and Manele Bay.

The Tamai Pool (quiet pool) has no view of the ocean. Architecturally, it’s interesting, and you might want to rent a private cabana for the day. I think they’re $250/day high season. They’re equipped with a seating area, plasma TV, iPod docking station, Internet access, the works… (see pic). You can have your massage therapy there, instead of at the spa, along with food and beverage service.

Spa & Fitness Center:

The fitness center is not as nice as Hualalai, but very well equipped. It also offers complimentary morning coffee. We recommend that you sign up for a yoga class on the Rock. At the spa, indulge yourself with the signature Punta Mita 80-minute massage. Download the spa menu from the website. It’s all good.

Golf:

It’s a 5-minute shuttle ride from the resort over to the golf course. It never seems busy, it’s a friendly course, picturesque, well maintained, and the third hole, par 3 “tail of the whale” is fun to play during low tide. The pro shop stocks a good amount of resort logo and golf apparel. The staff is terrific. There is a casual restaurant & bar over there as well.

Shopping and Dining in Puerto Vallarta:

The Four Seasons has a daily shuttle departing at 10:00AM and returns at 4:00PM, or 6:00PM to 12:00AM, to take you into Vallarta for shopping and lunch or dinner. Our recommendations for dining, from this trip, and from September 2006, in Puerto Vallarta are:

1. Kaiser Maximilian Restaurant & Café is located a few blocks from the beach in downtown Vallarta. I’ve posted a separate review just for this restaurant. It’s an Austrian/German restaurant in Mexico. Go figure. It’s superb, and I wish we could take it home to Dallas. The menu is huge, and the service and food quality was excellent. Appetizers are $9 - $12, entrees are $18 to $25, and desserts are $7. Great food. Great Value. Great fun. It’s the first restaurant that we’ll return to on our next visit to Vallarta.

2. Café des Artistes, is also located just a couple of blocks off the beach, from the sea horse statue. It’s a beautiful restaurant, serving mostly French cuisine, and we thought our dinner was very good.

3. Vista Grill is located high above the city and has an incredible view. Steaks and seafood dominate the menu, and most every table has a great view of the sparkling city below.

4. La Palapa is located right on the beach, and serves a big selection seafood and some steaks. The service here is excellent and it’s fun to be there at sunset.

I hope that you have found this review helpful.

• Liked — Outstanding service
  • Disliked — 45-minutes from the airport, 1-hour from downtown Vallarta
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
35 Thank STC
Morrison, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

I arrived at the PV airport still not knowing where exactly I was going for my birthday and in fact had just learned that I was going to Mexico when a surprise Fiesta awaited me the night before we left. The airport and immigration was so much easier than it had been in the Bahamas six weeks before (Atlantis), so my mood was good when I saw my parents standing near the transporation (a surprise!). I should have been suspicious when we were whisked to a waiting and immaculate SUV, complete with cold water bottles and cold towels sitting inside. As an aside, our party included my parents, my husband and our seven-year old son as well as me, the birthday girl.

As we headed northward out of PV, I was more and more confused about our destination but was relieved after we turned into the impressive looking gates that seperate Punta Mita from the little village just outside of said gates. Because the gates aren't marked, I still had no clue that we were headed to the Four Seasons but as soon as I saw the sign as we turned in, my nervousness turned to excitement. All I can say is that when I walked in to the lobby, I was thrilled. After the over the top opulence/Disney quality of Atlantis, this place oozed class. We were immediately greeted with a refreshment and the check-in process was as smooth as silk. When we arrived, the bellman took us to my parents room but for some reason, our adjoining room door wasn't open. It was opened in short order, and not only was there a gianormous 40th b-day balloon bouquet, there was a t-shirt and personalized cookie and candy for our son. They also had a little robe and slippers waiting for him, which was an awesome touch. We spend the remainder of the day having drinks and taking a dip in the pool, which is truly one of the most beautiful I've seen. We've seen some really wonderful things courtesy of my very generous mom and dad and this did not disappoint. We ate at Tino's in the little village the first night which is right on the beach. Our son played in the waves with a little local boy while we waited for dinner, which was kind of a cool thing to see. Not speaking the same language they still had a blast playing in the waves.

The next day was my birthday, and after we returned from a morning at the gym (unbelievable) and a day at the beach and pool, a bottle of champagne and a cake were delivered to our room. We had dinner at the hotel's new Bahia, which is a truly beautiful beachside space with impeccable service (and another bottle of gratis champagne). On the way back to the room our son checked out the game room which was fantastic. Any kid would love this place.....numerous gaming terminals, air hockey, flat screen, pool table, etc.

The next day we did more of the same, followed by dinner at Vito's in the village. This was really cool, although possibly a little overpriced. You basically ring these people's doorbell (having made reservations far in advance) and they open the door and lead you into the courtyard of their house. They are a Canadian Italian family (although Vito himself is from Sicily) and they are warm and wonderful and the food and ambience are unique and the food is truly good. After dinner here, we watched the de la Hoya fight at the El Dorado a few doors down. I'm not sure I would recommend this place as much as the others we visited but then again we didn't try the food.

Sunday was our last day and predictably and enjoyably hung out by the pool. It was so relaxing and beautiful that even our son was pretty happy without doing the "Kids for All Seasons" club. While the resort was 85% full, it didn't seem crowded at all but our son managed to find a kid or two to play with. This day was followed by my favorite dinner: Margaritas in the village. Hector, the owner was so awesome and accomodating it was unbelievable. Just like Tino's and the El Dorado, it was beachfront and had a completely unique and local flavor. A few dogs were mingling around and there were more locals than tourists. My one caveat for Margaritas is that they DO NOT take credit cards, unlike the others. When we realized we were short of cash, Hector told us not to worry about it.....we could come back in the morning. Miraculously, my dad discovered a secret stash of cash (embarrasing because we were supposed to treat the 'rents on this night....grrrr!) and we were able to pay our tab. We watched an amazing sunset that night from our beautiful room (Oceanfront Casita, if that helps when deciding) and toasted an amazing trip. We liked it so much that we are thinking of renting a villa down the beach for the whole family for my mom's 60th b-day in October! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions! I know this review was WAAAAY long, but I know when I researched our Bahamas trip, the more info the better. Have fun!!!!

• Liked — Location, Quality of Service, Beautiful Amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank molliechristie
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2007

Let me start off by saying that this was the most expensive vacation that we have taken in the 27 years that we are married and we travel every year. However it is also the first vacation where my husband did not want to come home. The service and food were excellent. On our vacations my family (2 children ages 17 & 12) enjoys exlporing the local restaurants. We ate out 4 nights to save a little money and the restaurants were great. I highly recommend eating at Vito's, a small italian restaurant, yes italian. It was incredible. The restaurant is owned by a couple born in Italy that decided to retire in Punt de Mita. All the food is prepared from scratch. The only local restaurant that I did not enjoy as much was Tino's but my husband and kids enjoyed their entrees.

The views from our villa were incredible, the service at the resort was the best I have experienced and the food at the resort was outstanding. The resort also has an adult only section which is very serene , minimum age for children in that area is 15.

One last thing the week we were there the resort was fully booked and you never felt it.

• Liked — Views and service
  • Disliked — very expensive
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family