“Service Makes the Difference at Punta Mita”

Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Punta de Mita
McKinney, TX
“Service Makes the Difference at Punta Mita”
Reviewed May 8, 2007

May 3 – 8, 2007 was our second visit to the Four Seasons Punta Mita. We think the service is what makes the difference at this resort. This resort is the most prestigious resort in the area, and attracts the best local staff. We thought the staff were just a notch better than FS Hualalai (2006) and a whole lot better than FS Great Exuma (2005).

So, here’s what I think you might want to know about this resort:

Location:

With all the new development in the area, it’s still 45-minutes from the airport. And, if you want to go to Puerto Vallarta for shopping & dining, it’s at least 1-hour away.

Suggested guest room accommodations:

Before I mention room types, I need to tell you about the resort’s layout. The resort is spread out, so you will be doing a lot of walking. The resort’s bell staff will drive you to, and pick you up from, your guest room at any time. If you like an easy walk to the resort’s lobby for complimentary morning coffee, to the main Nuna pool, to the beaches, and to the restaurants, then request accommodations in buildings Tortuga, Flor, Caracola, or Mariposa. Otherwise, plan on walking quite a bit.

In our opinion, Premium Ocean View Casitas provide a partial view, not a full view, but will connect you to the sounds and sights of the Pacific Ocean. Oceanfront casitas provide a full view, but not direct access to the beach. Only Beachfront casitas provide a full view and easy access to the beach. Because the resort’s beautiful landscaping has filled in over the past 9 years, Ocean View rooms may not provide enough view to meet your expectations. I’m sure the suites are fabulous, and if price is no object, in order to maximize your time at this beautiful resort, then by all means book a suite.

Restaurants:

Bahia, located on the beach, open for lunch and dinner, was a new addition for our second stay, and became our favorite for lunch. We enjoyed the lobster Cobb salad and the steak sandwich (see my pics). It’s shady, peaceful, relaxing, right on the beach, and the service and food were perfect every time. You should plan on spending $35 - $40 p.p. inclusive for a cocktail and sandwich or salad. Bahia also has a bar where you can sample some of the resort’s fine tequilas.

Ketsi, located by the main Nuna pool, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner is the resort’s primary casual dining restaurant. It has the typical Four Seasons big breakfast buffet with the omelette station. Or, you can order off the menu. You should plan on spending $30 - $40 p.p. inclusive for both breakfast and lunch.

Aramara, open for dinner, is the resort’s fine dining restaurant. It has a Chino Latino menu theme, and before wine, plan on spending $75 - $100 p.p. inclusive on 4-courses.

The hotel lobby provides some seating and beverage service. We enjoy cocktails at sunset from the lobby.

Beaches and pools:

You have two beaches and three pools to enjoy. New to our second visit was a circular pool that surrounds the newest guest room building, called Oasis. It has a current Jacuzzi flow system, so you sit in an inter-tube and float around the building in about 8-miuntes. It has a bar, and will soon have food service. Older kids, or adults who like to act like kids, love this pool, and it was a great idea because the Oasis building is quite a distance from the resort’s lobby. So, it adds a positive amenity feature to a negative guest room location. Smart move.

We think the Nuna Pool (main pool) is the most beautiful Four Seasons pool that we’ve seen. We like it better than the Four Seasons Great Exuma, Hualalai, Costa Rica, and Manele Bay.

The Tamai Pool (quiet pool) has no view of the ocean. Architecturally, it’s interesting, and you might want to rent a private cabana for the day. I think they’re $250/day high season. They’re equipped with a seating area, plasma TV, iPod docking station, Internet access, the works… (see pic). You can have your massage therapy there, instead of at the spa, along with food and beverage service.

Spa & Fitness Center:

The fitness center is not as nice as Hualalai, but very well equipped. It also offers complimentary morning coffee. We recommend that you sign up for a yoga class on the Rock. At the spa, indulge yourself with the signature Punta Mita 80-minute massage. Download the spa menu from the website. It’s all good.

Golf:

It’s a 5-minute shuttle ride from the resort over to the golf course. It never seems busy, it’s a friendly course, picturesque, well maintained, and the third hole, par 3 “tail of the whale” is fun to play during low tide. The pro shop stocks a good amount of resort logo and golf apparel. The staff is terrific. There is a casual restaurant & bar over there as well.

Shopping and Dining in Puerto Vallarta:

The Four Seasons has a daily shuttle departing at 10:00AM and returns at 4:00PM, or 6:00PM to 12:00AM, to take you into Vallarta for shopping and lunch or dinner. Our recommendations for dining, from this trip, and from September 2006, in Puerto Vallarta are:

1. Kaiser Maximilian Restaurant & Café is located a few blocks from the beach in downtown Vallarta. I’ve posted a separate review just for this restaurant. It’s an Austrian/German restaurant in Mexico. Go figure. It’s superb, and I wish we could take it home to Dallas. The menu is huge, and the service and food quality was excellent. Appetizers are $9 - $12, entrees are $18 to $25, and desserts are $7. Great food. Great Value. Great fun. It’s the first restaurant that we’ll return to on our next visit to Vallarta.

2. Café des Artistes, is also located just a couple of blocks off the beach, from the sea horse statue. It’s a beautiful restaurant, serving mostly French cuisine, and we thought our dinner was very good.

3. Vista Grill is located high above the city and has an incredible view. Steaks and seafood dominate the menu, and most every table has a great view of the sparkling city below.

4. La Palapa is located right on the beach, and serves a big selection seafood and some steaks. The service here is excellent and it’s fun to be there at sunset.

I hope that you have found this review helpful.

• Liked — Outstanding service
  • Disliked — 45-minutes from the airport, 1-hour from downtown Vallarta
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
35 Thank STC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Morrison, CO
Reviewed May 7, 2007

I arrived at the PV airport still not knowing where exactly I was going for my birthday and in fact had just learned that I was going to Mexico when a surprise Fiesta awaited me the night before we left. The airport and immigration was so much easier than it had been in the Bahamas six weeks before (Atlantis), so my mood was good when I saw my parents standing near the transporation (a surprise!). I should have been suspicious when we were whisked to a waiting and immaculate SUV, complete with cold water bottles and cold towels sitting inside. As an aside, our party included my parents, my husband and our seven-year old son as well as me, the birthday girl.

As we headed northward out of PV, I was more and more confused about our destination but was relieved after we turned into the impressive looking gates that seperate Punta Mita from the little village just outside of said gates. Because the gates aren't marked, I still had no clue that we were headed to the Four Seasons but as soon as I saw the sign as we turned in, my nervousness turned to excitement. All I can say is that when I walked in to the lobby, I was thrilled. After the over the top opulence/Disney quality of Atlantis, this place oozed class. We were immediately greeted with a refreshment and the check-in process was as smooth as silk. When we arrived, the bellman took us to my parents room but for some reason, our adjoining room door wasn't open. It was opened in short order, and not only was there a gianormous 40th b-day balloon bouquet, there was a t-shirt and personalized cookie and candy for our son. They also had a little robe and slippers waiting for him, which was an awesome touch. We spend the remainder of the day having drinks and taking a dip in the pool, which is truly one of the most beautiful I've seen. We've seen some really wonderful things courtesy of my very generous mom and dad and this did not disappoint. We ate at Tino's in the little village the first night which is right on the beach. Our son played in the waves with a little local boy while we waited for dinner, which was kind of a cool thing to see. Not speaking the same language they still had a blast playing in the waves.

The next day was my birthday, and after we returned from a morning at the gym (unbelievable) and a day at the beach and pool, a bottle of champagne and a cake were delivered to our room. We had dinner at the hotel's new Bahia, which is a truly beautiful beachside space with impeccable service (and another bottle of gratis champagne). On the way back to the room our son checked out the game room which was fantastic. Any kid would love this place.....numerous gaming terminals, air hockey, flat screen, pool table, etc.

The next day we did more of the same, followed by dinner at Vito's in the village. This was really cool, although possibly a little overpriced. You basically ring these people's doorbell (having made reservations far in advance) and they open the door and lead you into the courtyard of their house. They are a Canadian Italian family (although Vito himself is from Sicily) and they are warm and wonderful and the food and ambience are unique and the food is truly good. After dinner here, we watched the de la Hoya fight at the El Dorado a few doors down. I'm not sure I would recommend this place as much as the others we visited but then again we didn't try the food.

Sunday was our last day and predictably and enjoyably hung out by the pool. It was so relaxing and beautiful that even our son was pretty happy without doing the "Kids for All Seasons" club. While the resort was 85% full, it didn't seem crowded at all but our son managed to find a kid or two to play with. This day was followed by my favorite dinner: Margaritas in the village. Hector, the owner was so awesome and accomodating it was unbelievable. Just like Tino's and the El Dorado, it was beachfront and had a completely unique and local flavor. A few dogs were mingling around and there were more locals than tourists. My one caveat for Margaritas is that they DO NOT take credit cards, unlike the others. When we realized we were short of cash, Hector told us not to worry about it.....we could come back in the morning. Miraculously, my dad discovered a secret stash of cash (embarrasing because we were supposed to treat the 'rents on this night....grrrr!) and we were able to pay our tab. We watched an amazing sunset that night from our beautiful room (Oceanfront Casita, if that helps when deciding) and toasted an amazing trip. We liked it so much that we are thinking of renting a villa down the beach for the whole family for my mom's 60th b-day in October! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions! I know this review was WAAAAY long, but I know when I researched our Bahamas trip, the more info the better. Have fun!!!!

• Liked — Location, Quality of Service, Beautiful Amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank molliechristie
new york
Reviewed May 4, 2007

Let me start off by saying that this was the most expensive vacation that we have taken in the 27 years that we are married and we travel every year. However it is also the first vacation where my husband did not want to come home. The service and food were excellent. On our vacations my family (2 children ages 17 & 12) enjoys exlporing the local restaurants. We ate out 4 nights to save a little money and the restaurants were great. I highly recommend eating at Vito's, a small italian restaurant, yes italian. It was incredible. The restaurant is owned by a couple born in Italy that decided to retire in Punt de Mita. All the food is prepared from scratch. The only local restaurant that I did not enjoy as much was Tino's but my husband and kids enjoyed their entrees.

The views from our villa were incredible, the service at the resort was the best I have experienced and the food at the resort was outstanding. The resort also has an adult only section which is very serene , minimum age for children in that area is 15.

One last thing the week we were there the resort was fully booked and you never felt it.

• Liked — Views and service
  • Disliked — very expensive
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank ForestHillsNewYork
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I am in the midst of a wonderful one week vacation here at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita and want to say this property is wonderful!
I cannot honestly understand why anyone would have anything bad to say about this place! I have read some of the mediocre or bad reviews and can’t believe some of these people! These are the same people that like to complain about everything no matter what. I see them all the time whether its around my neighborhood on the Upper East Side, sitting for dinner at Per Se or Nobu or in first class on a Cathy Pacific Flight to Hong Kong – As the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time and it certainly holds true for the reviews I am seeing here about this property.
I travel a lot for business around the world and stay at high end hotels including the Four Seasons. This is every bit as good if not better. The service is so genuine and friendly; the food is as good if not better than you would expect from Mexico resort – please if you are expecting Per Se/Daniel etc stay home. The way the property is laid out is excellent.
They just opened a lazy river where you can float away in a tube and also a new restaurant called Bahia. They will cook any fish you catch.
I actually went fishing with a local guy named Rudi (see information on Punta Mita from this site under Cooperativea de Servicios Turisitcos or call [--]. It was $45 per hour and included everything – much better deal than the $900 per day for Four seasons but since I was by myself (my wife does not fish) I did not want to spend that. The Four Seasons cooked my fish for us (which they gladly do) and it was fabulous

• Liked — Friendly People
  • Disliked — People who are staying here that constantly complain!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Orlowf
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 29, 2007

My husband, son (4), daughter (6), and myself just returned from 7 days and nights @ Four Seasons Punta Mita and it was without a doubt the most relaxing, pampering, and beautiful vacation ever.

It is a gorgeously designed resort. Everypart of the resort is either right on the beach or just feet away.

The food was delicious, the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, the amenities charming and very well thought through.

An utterly perfect vaction for us all...we completely unwound while the children were extremely happy with the "Kids for All Seasons" program. And the babysitter they booked for us is now like a member of the famiy!

1 Thank pnrLA
New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2007

We winter in the Caribean, and the Four Seasons,Punta Mita, Mexico was an alternative to staying at Las Ventanas, Baja California. We were here two weeks, we are a couple who loves to play golf. We are not your average week's vacationers, we call what we do for the winter "our life style." So we always try to pick the absolute perfect place to end our winter. We have stayed at many Four Seasons around the world. I thought this one average. I had expected so much more.
The staff was wonderful, very well trained,and please don't expect anything but the best service, if they can't please, I think they will break down and cry.
Since we are golfers, we wanted to watch the Masters. Impossible in the hotel, but we found at the golf course, they had a different cable system and we watched on Saturday in Spanish, and on Sunday in English. The hotel staff tried everything to find out where we could watch the Masters, their best answer was to take their van, cost $195 into Puerta Vallarta to a sports bar, no guarantee that it would be showing the Masters. But we kept asking, and finally were told at the golf course, that is not owned by the hotel, and for some reason do get better channels.
We had an ocean view suite, and the sunsets are spectatular. The golf course is average, it took me a full week to get to know the holes, usually I have them down pat after two days of playing, but all I could remember was hit to the palm trees on most holes, they do have one unusual par 3, hole 3B, when the tide is low, you drive out to the green, otherwise, not something you would normally play, for women, 175 yards, all carry, and usually into the wind. Nice gimmick hole.
Food at the restaurants normal, but service wonderful. We ate at all of them, but after a day of golf and sun, we enjoy putting our feet up and having room service, and watching tv, no ABC<NBC<CBS, but movies on demand, and after two weeks we saw them all. Expensive, YES, next year, back to Las Ventanas in Cabo San Lucas, more golf courses, our own pool, and jacacuzzi and the same excellent service, and the same expense. Would we come back here, MAYBE.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — the walk from the main areas
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GKNU
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We just returned from Spring Break/Easter week at Punta Mita with our 8 year old twins. It was a fabulous vacation. The setting is stunning and the service is outstanding. We had a minor complaint and the staff were extremely responsive. We were upgraded from a garden view to an ocean view, but at best it was a very partial ocean view. The food was good, but very expensive. We had several very good meals in the town of Punta Mita. Loved the small restuarant, Margarita . Like other reviewers, we went to the town of Sayulita, a 20 minute cab ride north of the resort and it is worth the trip. Rather than spend the over $100 that the hotel charges for the roundtrip, we went to the taxi stand in Punta Mita down by the waterfront - the cab ride was only $25 one way. The Kids club was fantastic, our children loved the counselors and the Pinata party that was given for their birthday. Easter was celebrated with an egg hunt on the beach. 3 days into our trip, we changed our flight reservations so that we could stay an extra day. the biggest negatives...cost of food, drinks and other services; And a comment about the cost...although expensive, I think this place is good value for a splurge family vacation...given kids club and the level of service provided. At the pools or the beach, the staff brings you complementry botteled water, and little fruit snacks throughout the day. If you are traveling without kids, I would recommend avoiding school vacationn times. We can't wait to go back.

Stayed April 2007
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita? Share your experiences!