“Another Perfect Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Chicago, Illinois
“Another Perfect Vacation”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our 4th annual trip to the St. Regis. Each year get better and better. We already booked for next year! The staff in incredible! Carl, the general manager, is the best of the best. He is so accommodating and we just love seeing him and Mike year after year! The hotel is just beautiful, the food is delicious and the rooms are perfection. With perfect weather in march, you can't beat it. We will continue to visit year after year!

Room Tip: We prefer the top floor room vs. the ground level.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Nancy T,

It was great to see you again! We also enjoy seeing you and your husband year after year. Indeed March has great weather. We look forward to seeing you again next year for another perfect vacation.

My personal best regards,
Carl Emberson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

It rained and it rained and it rained but nothing could dampen the spirit of the team at the St Regis. it was unusually bad weather for that time of year, raining for most of the time when you would expect the sun to be very present. The party on the beach for New Years Eve was not going to be moved inside, they were determined that the show went on as planned. I have never seen a team of people pull together a party while mother Earth tried everything in her power to push us inside. The party went on and it was a spectacular success, the service, the support the attitude of the St Regis team was unrelenting as was the rain. Then there were all the other times we met the team at Breakfast and dinner and even at the GM's evening get together on the Friday evening it was always five star and the best of the best. we are planning our return as we speak.

Room Tip: there are many good restaurants surrounding the hotel, you should try them all, but the two best one...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Colin R,

It was nice to see you during your December visit. Indeed, it rained a bit while you were here, however you are correct, we would not let a little water stop the festivities. We are glad that you joined us for the New Year’s Eve beach party and we agree with you, rain or no rain, it was a memorable event. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next trip. We already put in the request to Mother Nature to bring sunshine for your next visit.

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Hard to beat Punta Mita weather in March. Temperatures in the low '80s and a gentle breeze day after day. The St. Regis has a great beach with lounge chairs and umbrellas spaced nicely ensuring a feeling of privacy by all. The Mary Mita serves grilled lobster and great shrimp taco's beach-side and is hard to beat for a great lunch with a Pacifico beer (over ice; don't ask, but it works).

The spa has to be one of the best in Mexico. A terrific outside feeling.

While the Seabreeze restaurant was a huge disappointment, thankfully there are plenty of great local restaurants to eat at (Si Senor, Blue Shrimp, Cafe Des Artistes) in Punta Mita 5 minutes away as the high end hotel restaurant (Carolines) is good, but not enouh variety for an extended stay. The locals have them beat in this regard.

What then is the biggest disappointment? Its the initial build quality of the rooms and resort itself. No question it would not be considered a St. Regis by this attribute alone against most all other St. Regis properties.

That said, for reasons I will enumerate in my review of the Four Seasons Punta Mita, overall we would pick the St. Regis Punta Mita over the Four Seasons Punta Mita.

Room Tip: Second Floor on most units affords ocean views.
1 Thank BlackCardTraveler
Dear BlackCardTraveler,

Greetings from Punta Mita! Thank you for your recent visit and you review. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the spa, the beach and Mita Mary. I am surprised to read that you were disappointed in your experience at Sea Breeze Restaurant and build quality of the rooms. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you in more detail. Feel free to contact me at carl.emberson@stregis.com.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

As I'm preparing to checkout I thought I'll give a basic review on this property, so if you decide to come, I hope you are as prepared as possible.

The area

It's a gated community about 45 mins north of the airport, it's very safe, but it's very gringo style, nothing Mexican about it, don't expect an authentic experience.

We rented a car in Puerto Vallarta and drove here, I highly recommend it, you can drive to the town, even a trip to Sayulita is nice if you want an adventure; the road is easy, it's going to be a lot cheaper than any transportation and you have the freedom to go where you want.

The hotel,

I don't see any difference between this hotel and any other similarly priced chain hotel on any beach location, (well laid out, manicured lawns, a small architectural resemblance to the country it's in), nothing is memorable about it,
I suppose it a standard within the brand, not bad, it's just that there is no wow factor. (Look at tha Banyan in Mayakoba for an example)

There are different pools (adults and kids), and there are more than enough beach and pool beds for everybody, the staff will set you up where you want ( I wouldn't expect anything else from a resort in this category)

The room

We had a deluxe front beach room and it's very nice, I specially liked the idea of the showers (indoor/outdoor and the tub) separated from the restroom and basin.
Upon arrival, (as it is on the second floor), we found not a beach/ocean view, but 5 overgrown palm trees blocking the view from all angles, this was completely unacceptable, however, the next morning a gardener cut the overgrown foliage and problem solved, kudos for handling this situation in an intelligent manner.

Food (The good and the bad)

The only star at this hotel is the Carolina Restaurant, from the bar menu (Good cocktails!), to the fenomenal waiter we had (Luis), and Chef Alfredo's food, this is the place to go if you appreciate good food; you can see the effort and passion in this team, if I were the Hotel Manager I would ask them to handle the food of the entire resort.

Now the bad,

The breakfast buffet is abismal, it's a replica from any Sheraton/Westin in your hometown; an omelet station, waffles, some pastries and fruit/cereal. Really??, no season juice?, or a mexican breakfast specialty? , orange/grapefruit juice I can get at any midlevel hotel in Mexico. The excuse from a manager was "We had it, but nobody ate it", I'm sorry, but in three continents I have seen in all good hotel breakfasts a local section and the standard western section, that was unexcusable.

While they made something for me and the waiters tried to accomodate, I had the impression I was being a pest to the manager, again, my impression.

In short, I would recommend it?, it depends what you want, the area is amazing and it is the location to stay in my opinion, if you are looking for something special go to Imanta, St Regis was an upscale Westin experience for us, nothing bad about it, but at the prices they charge, not worth it in my opinion.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank delios73
Dear delios73,

Greetings from Punta Mita. Thank you for your recent visit and your review. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience. Please contact me at carl.emberson@stregis.com.

With kind regards,
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The good:
- Loved that they have multiple pools with different vibes. Early in our stay we opted for the quiet pools but when that became boring we ventured to the pool where they played luxurious lounge music. We called it "disco pool".
- The rooms are lovely. I don't think there are any bad room views at this resort. Also loved the outdoor shower. We were on the ground floor and loved our little backyard. We had room service dinner on our patio one night and it was perfect.
- The grounds are impeccable and the views breathtaking.
- The kids club activities were fantastic: piñata, exotic animals, evening movies. Our daughter was in heaven. Maya and the staff were great.
- Loved the little fish shack restaurant on the beach. Try the shrimp aguachile, shrimp tacos, grilled shrimp or lobster. Really everything there was great.
- Super private and serene. We were there during Spring Break and the hotel was fully booked. Even the President of Mexico was there and yet we were never inconvenienced.
- Great location and 5 minutes from fantastic restaurants in town which helps make up for a couple of areas of improvement detailed below.

Areas for improvement:
- There's not enough menu variety because there are only 2 dinner restaurants and one of those has the same menu for lunch.
- Limited vegetarian options.
- Butler service was a bit hit or miss. For example, we called twice to have our room service dishes removed. The next morning they were still there. Not a huge issue but just an example. The butlers were very nice but they may have been understaffed during this busy season.

All in all it was a great trip and we definitely return to the St. Regis.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WesbecherY
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear WesbecherY,

Greetings from Punta Mita. Thank you for your recent visit and your review. I’m glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay. I have thoroughly read your comments regarding areas where we can improve and I am already looking into each item. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and making your stay as perfect as you imagine.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2014

So that you have our perspective, we have been on a dozen trips to places including Hawaii, Cabo, Jamaica, Saint John, and Curacao, but never to Punta de Mita. This was my favorite trip ever – by far!
• The location was great. I never felt unsafe. That would include the arrival and excursions into Puerto Vallarta and departure.
• The St. Regis hotel was the best. The staff was exceptional and the facilities were impeccable. I don’t have a single bad thing to say about it. I have stayed at Four Seasons’, Westin’s, Ritz Carlton’s, Marriott’s’, etc. for trips. Prior to this trip I thought The Breaker’s in West Palm Beach, Florida was my favorite hotel. After experiencing the St. Regis Puta de Mita, it is now my second favorite.
• The activities were all very fun and we had great tour guides. We did the marine excursion and the 4 wheeling (unimog) tours with Vallarta Adventures (also great).
• The food was fantastic both at St. Regis and then offsite.

Room Tip: the deluxe room was great - ocean view, huge balcony and great ameneties including a butler. Our bu...
Dear Kristian S,

Many thanks for your recent visit and your review. We are honored to be regarded as your favorite resort. We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Looking for an idyllic playa, first class accomodations, upper-crust clientele, and completely vacuous cultural experience? This is your ultimate destination. The staff is remarkable - Mexicans who don't want to be - but rather aspire to be just like their you! How reassuring to the those born into luxury and seeking the solace of idolatry to validate a feckless existance. Fantastic spot to relax and kibbitz with those elevated above the hoi poloi!

For those not of the Gucci mind set - seek an authentic experience elsewhere in Mexico. Tulum, Punta Allen, Copan, Xochimilco, Teotihuacan, Vallodolid, Chichen Itza --- far worse accomodations and vastly more rewarding experiences.

Room Tip: Priorities matter: Quiet? Near the pool? Kids? Ocean view or ocean view? Not a bad room on the compl...
3 Thank Gropius I
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Gropius I,

Many thanks for your recent visit your review. We hope that you will visit our Resort and playa again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,447 reviews
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!