“"Nota Dez" - Outstanding Get Away !”

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We recently spent five wonderful days at the St. Regis, Punta Mita. The resort is beautifully set in the lush vegetation, has oustanding facilities and extremely attentive service from its very friendly staff. All of this very ably directed and supervised by a wonderful and charming General Manager Carl Emberson. The food is outstanding, particularly the Mexican fare. I recommend the fish tacos and the aguachile for an informal meal and the chicken mole for a nice dinner. The golf is excellent with two beautiful courses and a challenging "Tail of the Whale" signature hole on the Pacifico course. I recommend a lesson with the golf pro Arturo Castro who changed my grip and markedly improved my swing in just a couple of lessons. A few lessons with Arturo are well worth the investment! We also did the Marine Safarti to the Marietas which, in addition to a beautiful "hidden beach", have some oustanding snorkeling. I can't say enough good things about this resort other than you need to visit it. Scores a ten out of ten - "nota dez"!!!!! CJW

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are in a quieter portion of the resort, but overall it has a very "uncr...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear CJW888,

Greetings from sunny Punta Mita. Thank you for your recent visit and your kind review regarding the resort grounds, service and food. I’m glad that you enjoyed the golf courses and the marine safari. I will pass your praise for Arturo along to him.

Warm regards,

Carl Emberson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

995 - 1,001 of 1,978 reviews

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Just returned yesterday from a quick 3-night visit -- arrived optimistic, and left blown away! Perfect location, excellent and attentive staff, great layout and phenomenal food! Beyond that, the management team at this property is highly visible and accessible -- making close 1-on-1 connections with guests every day -- which truly made us feel like we were their personal guests. Carl (GM), Nicolas, Mike, Oliver and the rest of the senior staff have succeeded in creating an special environment.

The newest addition to the F&B lineup is their Seafood Boat on the beach in front of the Sea Breeze restaurant -- and is outstanding! It opened for the first time on Friday morning as we happened to be standing there -- as Carl explained, the inspiration came from gourmet "food trucks". Complete with thatched roof, fresh seafood and shellfish on ice, and a full drink selection -- it's perfect spot for lunch or happy hour.

The breakfast by the beach every morning is incredible, and the family-style beach BBQ on Friday night was fantastic. A short cab ride away in the town are several fantastic restaurants, all beach-front.

The golf course next door was spectacular -- but expensive (close to $400 for 18 holes, a cart and rental clubs). So best to use the re-round option for another $60 to play both courses, if your schedule permits.

Truly one of the best resorts we've stayed in. We can't wait to go back, and give our highest recommendation!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear John G,

Greeting from sunny Punta Mita! It was great to see you during your recent visit. What perfect timing that you were here for the debut of our Seafood Boat. Your explanation of this new food and beverage experience is perfect, mate. Thank you for sharing your review. We look forward to your next trip… we might even have a new surprise for you again next time.

Carl

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Went there for a delayed honeymoon and absolutely loved it. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is fantastic and it is in a great (and safe) location. Drinks were a little pricey but I guess that is what you have to expect at a St. Regis and the 2 for 1 happy hours and drink making classes (you get a free drink) helped with that. Hope to make it back someday soon! Also, the best breakfast I have experienced for the free breakfast for SPG platinum guests...

Dear Charlie h,

Happy holidays from sunny Punta Mita. I’m glad that you joined us for your honeymoon and enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will join us again. Perhaps for your anniversary and make it a tradition.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 22, 2013

i was skeptical about this hotel because my wife and i had a disappointing experience at the st regis in princeville, hawaii. its site is spectacular -- probably how they get away with charging +$1,000/night for what is essentially a sheraton hotel room with granite counter tops -- but that's another story for another review. this st regis, the one in punta mita, blew us away. i'm a million years old; my wife and i have traveled extensively throughout the world; we have never encountered better service. we congratulate management here for recruiting an exceptional staff who, genuinely, want you to enjoy your experience. without exception, the personnel we dealt with were helpful, friendly and courteous. our room (5202) was well-equipped and spacious -- it's really more of a suite -- although many rooms in the hotel did have better views. however, since we obtained a very attractive rate, we can't really complain about our view which wasn't bad, it just didn't offer the special water views that are available from other rooms. the hotel is designed intelligently to spread out the guest population. this results in space and privacy. there are three sections, each one with its own pool and beach access, although as a guest you are free to go to any one of the three. the beaches are fine but the sand is not quite as nice as you'll find in other parts of the world and the shore is mostly rocky, so bring rubber beach shoes which will help immensely when entering and leaving the water. there are a fair number of families and children; if you don't want to around youngsters, one of the three pools is adults only. the sea breeze restaurant has a relatively limited menu but the food is well prepared, fresh and tasty. and, of course, the service is outstanding. carolina, the mobil 5 star-rated restaurant was fine, but not exceptional. (our favorite dining experience was actually at the si senor restaurant, in punta mita, outside the st regis complex.) the pool side marietas restaurant's cuisine is more typically mexican. it's open for breakfast and lunch. they will serve you on the beach from here; their club sandwich is a knockout. we don't golf so no comment on the hotel's course. however punta mita expeditions offers a fun "maritime" excursion involving snorkeling, paddle boarding, bird watching and visiting the nearby marieta islands. highly recommended. josue, our guide, was exceptional. also recommended is the expedition's fishing trip (pedro was our outstanding guide for this) where we caught dorado (mahi mahi), huge jack crevelles and a 30 pound rooster fish. my son and daughter-in-law, staying in a condo with her family in nearby hacienda de mita, had a ball with a zip line experience at rancho chaparritas (?), about an hour's drive from the hotel. the only disappointing activity, and a huge one, was the "rain forest" / bird watching walk which, despite guide pepe's best efforts, was an expensive waste of time. (pepe was great; the problem is with the design of the tour itself which is not represented accurately by the tour company.) all these were arranged for us by hilda at the hotel's concierge desk. hilda is a prime example of the hotel's friendly and helpful staff. finally, it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect for every one of our six day visit.

Room Tip: ask for a second floor room. this should provide excellent water views.

Dear hankbauer,

Greetings from sunny Punta Mita. I’m excited that you stayed with us at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort and that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I am honored to work with such a dedicated team of staff members. I will let Hilda know your compliments. Thank you again for your recent visit and I hope you will join us again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I wanted to go someplace nice for our anniversary. We've been to Hawaii many times and wanted to do something different - a nonstop flight that was only a few hours away.

Having never been to Mexico, the St. Regis Punta Mita is a fantastic resort. I highly recommend it. The setting is remote, which is good or bad depending on your tastes. There is just not all that much to do here compared to some other very developed resort areas. If you want to relax by the beach or pool it is perfect. The grounds are very nice and spread out. Even though the hotel was near 100% full, the layout makes it seem like there are not many guests visiting. The staff in general was very nice. Thanks to the very amusing Tony for the great cevice and margaritas classes, and setting me up for scuba diving.

Also thanks to the crew at Sea Breeze restaurant. The first night we dined there, Vladimir and crew worked very hard to make sure my wife and I had a very special evening. Also, we dined there again another evening and want to especially thank Arturro, he really went out of his way to make us welcome and happy! Arturro should be given a raise or promotion! Anyway...

For restaurants outside the grounds, we walked to Si Senior which was excellent, about a 30 minutes walk or 10 minute cab ride. Sufi restaurant (within the grounds but not part of the hotel) was fantastic, highly recommended.

Also the champaign sabering was a blast. The beach BBQ was very fun but I have to say overall the food was not quite as good as the restaurants. But it was just such a fun activity - don't miss it.

Now I am really looking forward to visiting other St. Regis properties and other areas of Mexico. Overall this was a great trip - where else to you hug staff members at the end of a great trip!

1  Thank jon c
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear jon c,

Greetings from Punta Mita! I am delighted that you and your wife chose St. Regis Punta Mita as your first trip to Mexico- and for such a special occasion!

Thank you for your kind comments and recognition of the staff. I am honored to work with a world-class team and I am glad that Tony, Arturo and Vladimir made your anniversary trip memorable.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back for your next anniversary- or even sooner now that you know that paradise is closer than you thought.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I cannot even begin to say enough GREAT things about this hotel!!! It is top notch on every account. The rooms are lovely, the butler service is amazing (our butler Luis was the BEST!!!), the spa is relaxing (and also allow free access to the facilities), the food is superb and the service is like no other place you will visit. I can't WAIT to come back here again. Thank you for making my vacation one of the best ones yet!

This location is very safe I might add. It's in a gated community surrounded by other resorts and condo complexes. I went for a nice walk on the groups outside and it was lovely. Another couple there, who has come there for years told me that Punta Mita and Punta de Mita are on their own irrigation system so the water is safe. I drank bottled water the whole time but was never afraid of ice or anything and didn't get sick.

Also, these are the best margaritas you can find. We went to another resort after this in PV and they were not good. In fact, I couldn't drink them because I was so spoiled by how delicious the margis were at St. Regis!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the second floor room - seemed a little more private.

Dear LALauren27,

Allow me to thank you for your visit and your review. The team of butlers at St. Regis Punta Mita love to spoil our dear guests. We look forward to your return and will have your favorite margarita waiting for you.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

First time at this resort. Just returned from a great vacation. This is an ideal place for rest and relaxation. Highlights include the butler service (Jose and Luis) pool staff (adult pool with Hector, Antonio and Jose) Punta Mita Expeditions (trip to Marieta Islands) and restaurants. Staff was truly concerned about the well being of all guests. Will return frequently! Highly recommend Carolina's and it's quaint secluded bar. Seabreeze is great for dinner or after dinner drinks (Ruben and Corina are great).

Don't miss the Friday night Champagne reception!

SI Senor's is a great dinner option in town and don't be afraid to explore Sayulita as an adventure. Great surf town!

Room Tip: Most appear to be beach front, rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear 1980Dawg,

I’m glad that you joined us for the first time. Thank you for your recognition of so many of our staff members. Yes, I agree the Friday night Champagne Ritual is not to be missed. We look forward to your frequent return for rest and relaxation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
#2 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!