“a very special place”

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Reviewed December 22, 2013

i was skeptical about this hotel because my wife and i had a disappointing experience at the st regis in princeville, hawaii. its site is spectacular -- probably how they get away with charging +$1,000/night for what is essentially a sheraton hotel room with granite counter tops -- but that's another story for another review. this st regis, the one in punta mita, blew us away. i'm a million years old; my wife and i have traveled extensively throughout the world; we have never encountered better service. we congratulate management here for recruiting an exceptional staff who, genuinely, want you to enjoy your experience. without exception, the personnel we dealt with were helpful, friendly and courteous. our room (5202) was well-equipped and spacious -- it's really more of a suite -- although many rooms in the hotel did have better views. however, since we obtained a very attractive rate, we can't really complain about our view which wasn't bad, it just didn't offer the special water views that are available from other rooms. the hotel is designed intelligently to spread out the guest population. this results in space and privacy. there are three sections, each one with its own pool and beach access, although as a guest you are free to go to any one of the three. the beaches are fine but the sand is not quite as nice as you'll find in other parts of the world and the shore is mostly rocky, so bring rubber beach shoes which will help immensely when entering and leaving the water. there are a fair number of families and children; if you don't want to around youngsters, one of the three pools is adults only. the sea breeze restaurant has a relatively limited menu but the food is well prepared, fresh and tasty. and, of course, the service is outstanding. carolina, the mobil 5 star-rated restaurant was fine, but not exceptional. (our favorite dining experience was actually at the si senor restaurant, in punta mita, outside the st regis complex.) the pool side marietas restaurant's cuisine is more typically mexican. it's open for breakfast and lunch. they will serve you on the beach from here; their club sandwich is a knockout. we don't golf so no comment on the hotel's course. however punta mita expeditions offers a fun "maritime" excursion involving snorkeling, paddle boarding, bird watching and visiting the nearby marieta islands. highly recommended. josue, our guide, was exceptional. also recommended is the expedition's fishing trip (pedro was our outstanding guide for this) where we caught dorado (mahi mahi), huge jack crevelles and a 30 pound rooster fish. my son and daughter-in-law, staying in a condo with her family in nearby hacienda de mita, had a ball with a zip line experience at rancho chaparritas (?), about an hour's drive from the hotel. the only disappointing activity, and a huge one, was the "rain forest" / bird watching walk which, despite guide pepe's best efforts, was an expensive waste of time. (pepe was great; the problem is with the design of the tour itself which is not represented accurately by the tour company.) all these were arranged for us by hilda at the hotel's concierge desk. hilda is a prime example of the hotel's friendly and helpful staff. finally, it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect for every one of our six day visit.

Room Tip: ask for a second floor room. this should provide excellent water views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear hankbauer,

Greetings from sunny Punta Mita. I’m excited that you stayed with us at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort and that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I am honored to work with such a dedicated team of staff members. I will let Hilda know your compliments. Thank you again for your recent visit and I hope you will join us again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I wanted to go someplace nice for our anniversary. We've been to Hawaii many times and wanted to do something different - a nonstop flight that was only a few hours away.

Having never been to Mexico, the St. Regis Punta Mita is a fantastic resort. I highly recommend it. The setting is remote, which is good or bad depending on your tastes. There is just not all that much to do here compared to some other very developed resort areas. If you want to relax by the beach or pool it is perfect. The grounds are very nice and spread out. Even though the hotel was near 100% full, the layout makes it seem like there are not many guests visiting. The staff in general was very nice. Thanks to the very amusing Tony for the great cevice and margaritas classes, and setting me up for scuba diving.

Also thanks to the crew at Sea Breeze restaurant. The first night we dined there, Vladimir and crew worked very hard to make sure my wife and I had a very special evening. Also, we dined there again another evening and want to especially thank Arturro, he really went out of his way to make us welcome and happy! Arturro should be given a raise or promotion! Anyway...

For restaurants outside the grounds, we walked to Si Senior which was excellent, about a 30 minutes walk or 10 minute cab ride. Sufi restaurant (within the grounds but not part of the hotel) was fantastic, highly recommended.

Also the champaign sabering was a blast. The beach BBQ was very fun but I have to say overall the food was not quite as good as the restaurants. But it was just such a fun activity - don't miss it.

Now I am really looking forward to visiting other St. Regis properties and other areas of Mexico. Overall this was a great trip - where else to you hug staff members at the end of a great trip!

1  Thank jon c
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear jon c,

Greetings from Punta Mita! I am delighted that you and your wife chose St. Regis Punta Mita as your first trip to Mexico- and for such a special occasion!

Thank you for your kind comments and recognition of the staff. I am honored to work with a world-class team and I am glad that Tony, Arturo and Vladimir made your anniversary trip memorable.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back for your next anniversary- or even sooner now that you know that paradise is closer than you thought.

Cheers!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I cannot even begin to say enough GREAT things about this hotel!!! It is top notch on every account. The rooms are lovely, the butler service is amazing (our butler Luis was the BEST!!!), the spa is relaxing (and also allow free access to the facilities), the food is superb and the service is like no other place you will visit. I can't WAIT to come back here again. Thank you for making my vacation one of the best ones yet!

This location is very safe I might add. It's in a gated community surrounded by other resorts and condo complexes. I went for a nice walk on the groups outside and it was lovely. Another couple there, who has come there for years told me that Punta Mita and Punta de Mita are on their own irrigation system so the water is safe. I drank bottled water the whole time but was never afraid of ice or anything and didn't get sick.

Also, these are the best margaritas you can find. We went to another resort after this in PV and they were not good. In fact, I couldn't drink them because I was so spoiled by how delicious the margis were at St. Regis!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the second floor room - seemed a little more private.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear LALauren27,

Allow me to thank you for your visit and your review. The team of butlers at St. Regis Punta Mita love to spoil our dear guests. We look forward to your return and will have your favorite margarita waiting for you.

Cheers!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

First time at this resort. Just returned from a great vacation. This is an ideal place for rest and relaxation. Highlights include the butler service (Jose and Luis) pool staff (adult pool with Hector, Antonio and Jose) Punta Mita Expeditions (trip to Marieta Islands) and restaurants. Staff was truly concerned about the well being of all guests. Will return frequently! Highly recommend Carolina's and it's quaint secluded bar. Seabreeze is great for dinner or after dinner drinks (Ruben and Corina are great).

Don't miss the Friday night Champagne reception!

SI Senor's is a great dinner option in town and don't be afraid to explore Sayulita as an adventure. Great surf town!

Room Tip: Most appear to be beach front, rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear 1980Dawg,

I’m glad that you joined us for the first time. Thank you for your recognition of so many of our staff members. Yes, I agree the Friday night Champagne Ritual is not to be missed. We look forward to your frequent return for rest and relaxation.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Given this is a St Regis, one would expect a beautiful site and great service. Of course this hotel has all that. But there is something special here, and after ten days, we decided it is the staff. The great service is provided easily, in a way that let's you engage on a personal level. So we learned about families, friends and the lives of our servers, pool attendants and people at the front desk. While some of the butlers can get a little puffed up, I suppose it's expected. This is a true world class resort. We loved it and will return.

Room Tip: If you have children with you, ask for the lower numbered rooms. If you want to be secluded, buildin...

Dear Phaniefield,
Thank you for your recent visit. 10 days, wow, how wonderful! I agree with you, our staff and service is one of the key ingredients that makes The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort so special and memorable. I’m glad that you got to know the staff as family. We look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband and I usually go away in early December after Thanksgiving and before the holidays for a relaxing vacation and to celebrate my birthday. The past 5 years in a row we went to a resort in Hawaii on the Big Island. We decided to try the St. Regis this year in Punta Mita for a change. We travel a lot and have stayed in various resorts and hotels all over the world. I have to say that our experience at the St. Regis in Punta Mita is right up there at the top!

We were warmly greeted upon arrival by Carl Emberson the general manager of the resort. Mr. Emberson was very visible during our stay. We saw him around the resort at breakfast and a few other times. We also noticed the food and beverage manager being very visible, and he approached us a few times to ask us how we enjoyed our dinners at the hotel restaurants. I have never stayed at a resort where the staff showed such genuine concern that hotel guests are having the best stay. Each and every one of the staff members at this resort is fantastic, from the housekeepers to the butlers to the beach and pool servers.

After checking in and sipping the delicious margaritas we were welcomed with, we were taken to our room, where we would be staying for 7 nights. The grounds are beautiful. The resort is very spread out with 3 infinity edge pools and a long white sandy beach. The grounds are very tropical with abundant palm trees. There are always plenty of lounge chairs by the beach or pools which is such a plus. I hate when you stay at a resort and people are out at the crack of dawn saving lounges. This is not a problem at this resort! The beach and pool servers are there to move your umbrella for shade, take your order, clean your sunglasses, or pass out popsicles or snacks.

There are daily classes led by Tony (who is a very funny guy) such as margarita, tequila, ceviche, guacamole, and mojito classes. We went to all of them and they were fun! One day we went on the snorkeling trip to the Marietas which is just a 15 minute boat ride away and snorkeling rivaled any snorkeling we have done in Hawaii. The water was crystal clear with lots of fish, and the Marietas are home to many varieties of birds. We also saw several whales, which was a little early in the season, but a nice surprise.

On the night of my birthday when we returned to our room they had decorated the room with balloons and a cake made out of towels! It was little touches like this that made our stay so special.

The rooms are very nice with a large balcony, comfy bed with nice bedding, a walk-in closet, and bathroom with a free-standing soaking tub, and both an indoor and outdoor shower. As many have mentioned, you have a butler....we did not utilize the butler so much as others, but it's a nice feature of the resort.

Our package included a buffet breakfast and there were many choices plus a delicious jugo verde (green juice) that we enjoyed every morning. There were American and Mexican items. This huge breakfast held us over until dinner. We did dine at Carolina's once and Sea Breeze twice at the hotel. Both restaurants were good, but our favorite dinner of the week was at Sufi's, a restaurant that is close by and inside the resort grounds, but not a hotel restaurant. We also went to the Friday hotel barbecue dinner and it was very nice.

There is a daily happy hour from 6 to 7 PM. It's a perfect place to enjoy the delicious margaritas and watch the beautiful sunsets!

The beach is rocky so it's advisable to wear water shoes. We were glad we brought ours.

The St. Regis in Punta Mita is our new favorite vacation spot! We will definitely be back next December.

Room Tip: There is no bad room.
1  Thank LosAngelesCarol

Dear LosAngelesCarol,

Greetings from Punta Mita! It was great to meet you and your husband during your stay. I am thrilled that you chose The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort to celebrate your birthday this year and that we are your new favorite vacation spot.

Thank you taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. I am delighted to know that we made your birthday special. I look forward to welcoming you both back for your next birthday.

Sincere regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I just got back from 6 glorious days at the St Regis Punta Mita. Everything about the property was just perfect. Every single employee at the resort ends each sentence with "is there anything else I can do for you" after they have just fulfilled your request. It is just that type of place where they go above and beyond in every respect. And the Butler service is addictive. Probably called it with requests 5-10 times every day.

Usually when you go to a property you get a note from the GM asking you to contact him/her if you have any questions/issues and usually you never see that person. At St Regis Punta Mita the GM Carl Emberson makes sure to get to know every guest and he really wants your feedback on how to make your experience more enjoyable.

The rooms are beautiful. Every aspect has been well thought out including a motorized screen that comes down that allows you to get fresh air and listen to the ocean at night but not let in any bugs. Also beautiful indoor and outdoor showers.
And the best part of the entire resort is the pool and beach. At many places there is a decent distance between pool and beach, but at St Regis they are right next to each other and so easy to go from one to another -- just a few steps. And there is not too much congestion. Great balance at this hotel with having life and activity but not feeling like there are too many people that get in the way of your relaxation.

The breakfast buffet was so amazing that we pretty much had a late breakfast everyday and that lasted me till dinner.

And do not get me started on the spa treatments. They were perfect like everything else.

Dear Steve A,

It was great to see during your stay of 6 days with us in paradise! Now, that’s the way to really experience the resort and enjoy the pools, the beach and the spa. Terrific that you also enjoyed the rooms and butler service. I do hope that you will join us again soon.

Cheers,

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!