“The Most Amazing Vacation!!!!!”

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had never visited Punta Mita having only previously vacationed in Cabo. What an amazing treat! The staff from the moment you check in when you are welcomed with a cocktail is simply incredible. We had a deluxe ocean front suite that was breathtaking. The room and its amenities were wonderful. The hotel is on 22 acres with only 120 guest rooms. So even if they are at 100% capacity you never feel that the resort is crowded. Jose at the pool was wonderful---he came by everyday to give us fresh fruit, clean our sunglasses or frozen fruit flavored popsicles in the afternoon. Omar and Umberto at the pool were terrific. The entire staff is so helpful and so nice. They cant do enough for you. They are so happy that you are there and they truly want you to have the vacation of a lifetime. We went to the bbq on Friday night and loved the experience as it encouraged you to meet some of the other guests and the food is served family style. Highly recommend it as we met several nice guests from all over the world. The GM is present and visible interacting with the guests as he presided over the champagne ritual Friday night. Very nice and personable. The setting of the hotel is perfect and extremely safe as it is situated behind gates. We can not wait to come back. We decided that we prefer it over traveling to Hawaii. The service is definitely over the top. The breakfast buffet is wonderful--a huge selection of food---omelets, eggs, waffles, crepes and lots of fresh fruit etc.

Room Tip: We had an ocean front suite which was magical.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Wow, we were there last week for our 15 years anniversary, and our high expectations (specially after choosing it from reading the reviews here) were surpassed. Great place design, awesome room and excellent service. Outstanding were the buttlers Christian and Efrain, the beach waiters at Arecas, Jose, Victor and the taxi driver Felix. Great dining recomendations for the restaurants just 5 minutes from the hotel (@ Punta de Mita). We'll come back as often as possible, for great relaxing and recharging times. Congratulations to the hotel administration for running such a good place.

Room Tip: For quieter times, asked to be placed near Arecas pool area
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I returned from a trip to Punta Mita, Mexico last week and stayed 6 nights at the St. Regis. It is a beautiful place and a great vacation spot. My husband and I wanted to give 5 stars but there were a few bumps during our stay. Since I have been to other St. Regis' around the world, I tried to compare my experience with those stays.

The Bumps:

1) When I was booking my trip and trying to decide on transportation to the hotel from the Puerto Vallarta Airport, I noticed there was a delay in communication between the butler and concierge service. When I emailed the butler service, I would get an automated response that the concierge was being contacted, and then I would get an email from the concierge regarding my question about transportation. The turn around time of getting a response was pretty fast (within a few hours) using this process but it was a little tedious to have to contact the butler service first to get in touch with the concierge. However, if I contacted the concierge directly, I would not get an answer back for 2-3 days. This became frustrating at times as there were additional questions regarding booking trip for outside hotel excursions and it delayed a lot of our trip planning.

2) The first night we dined at the Sea Breeze restaurant and requested a table outside. The host told us there were no tables for outside and sat us inside. When we sat inside, we saw that there was a table outside which was open. Since it was warm inside the restaurant and my husband and I were sweating, we asked the female wait staff if we could sit at the outside table. She told us that we could definitely sit there and that the table just needed to be cleared. She promptly cleared the table and apologized on behalf of the restaurants (when it was not her fault at all) for not having us seated outside due to the heat inside. I am not sure why the host did not seat us to begin with but it did not create a welcoming atmosphere our first night.

3) The house keeping was inconsistent as they appeared at odd times. St. Regis offers a turn down service which usually comes around between 4-6 p.m. The first night the maids came around 6pm, they didn't show up the next night and the third night they came at 10:30pm. I don't really mind whether the turn-down service is done or not but I just thought it was odd that they came at different times and as late as 10:30pm. Finally, when they cleaned our bathrooms, they always took away the dirty bath mat but never left a replacement and we had to call the butler several times to have the bath mat delivered.

4) On our last day our room FLOODED! I woke up at 6:00 am to go to the bathroom and stepped in huge puddle of water all through out the bedroom. I thought maybe the bathroom flooded or the door to the verandah was open. My husband immediately called the butler. The building maintenance person and a maid came to assess the problem and to clean it. The maintenance people told us that it must be the outdoor sprinkler system and they turned it off outside our room. We went to breakfast and when we came back to our room around 8:30am, our room was flooded AGAIN. We called the butler again, and this time he came (I believe his name was Carlos) with a maid. He figured out that the leak was coming from upstairs room and apologized. This was our last day and it was not the biggest issue but it did not give us the best last impression. When we checked out, no one asked us again about our room or stay on the property.

All these issues may not matter to some people. However, at this type of hotel, I guess I had certain expectations.

The High
1) The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. My husband and I went to the Four Seasons for dinner one night and thought the St. Regis was nicer. St. Regis appeared to have more pools and seemed intimate. The Four Seasons had golf carts running around everywhere on the grounds and that seemed awkward.

Side note #1: The pools closest to the lobby seem to be the least noisy and crowded. If you are looking to just enjoy some sun and peace that is where you should be. The pool wait staff service may be a little slow because it's away from the restaurant. (Las Marietta) However, if that does not matter to you, it's quite nice.

Side note #2: If you are a runner and hate running in the gym. (Although the gym is not too bad, they have free bottled water, towel and fruits) The grounds around the hotel are nice and safe. From St. Regis to the front gate into town, it's about 2.5 miles (I checked with my GPS watch). You can get a decent 5 mile run out of the loop and enjoy some ocean scenery as well. At the front gate, there is a middle-aged security guard who is really sweet and always gave my husband and me cold bottled water. If you want to run a longer distance you can always add a loop to the Four Season or other properties in the area.

2) We had 2-3 butlers assigned to our room but mainly interacted with Luis. He is fantastic! Not only was he prompt to responding to our requests and questions, he was very friendly and nice. He gave us a lot of tips on what to eat at the local restaurants and told us items we could order that are not on their regular menus. Luis also knew a lot about the local culture and Puerto Vallarta and told us some good future travel suggestions in the area. He also encouraged us give him honest feed back about our experience as he said he wanted to know areas where he could improve. Luis exceeded our expectations! If we go back, we hope that Luis will be our butler again!

3) The activities at the hotel were pretty fun. I would recommend them. I did the bike ride and the tequila lessons. If you go see the "catch of the day" make sure you choose your fish at that moment. ( Although the wait staff said I could call later) When I called later about the catch of the day, all the good fish were gone. It's still fun to get to see all the big fishes though.

4) The restaurants on location were good. I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Las Marietta (breakfast is included if you are an SPG member). The female chef at the omelet bar makes really good huevos rancheros! They have a lot of fresh fruit and you have to drink the “green juice” when you go there.
My husband and I went to all three restaurants and thought that they were all pretty good. Carolinas is definitely for a special night out. The wait staffs there were excellent! We had César serve us and he was not only helpful, attentive and knowledgeable. The sommelier also gave us fantastic recommendation and the bar tender Jose was also great.
At the end of the night, to celebrate our 5th anniversary they wrote a little message in our dessert in chocolate. When I mentioned how delicious their home-made macarons were (the spicy macaron is so good!), they gave us a few as an anniversary gift. This was beyond what we expected and though it was a kind gesture. The food was superb and the whole evening was a hit.
My husband and I dined at the Four Seasons a few nights ago and thought that our experience at Carolinas was much better.

Side note: If you decide to go surfing and have no transportation, Vallerta Surf guide will come pick you up. ( they are also amazing group to go surfing) I don't know if the surf lessons offered at the hotel via outside vendor do but the zip lining which is offered via St. Regis does not include transportation in the cost.

Conclusion: Although there were a few bumps during our trip here, we had a really good time. My husband and I would return here again. I think the next time; we would rent our own cars either at the airport or at the hotel. Otherwise it was wonderful, relaxing good vacation. The staff ( aside from the host at Sea Breeze) are all very friendly and they want to help you as much as possible. I really want to give the place 5 stars this time. Maybe next time I stay there, I can.

Room Tip: The Ocean view rooms are pretty nice. Since we are SPG, I was hoping an upgrade to a upstairs room a...
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is magical. The grounds, the food, the beach, simply magical. My boyfriend and I went last summer in July to celebrate his birthday and to get away from LA for a week. It was low season so the property was extremely quiet and the hotel seemed a bit understaffed. That being said we had a few issues but those were immediately addressed by Michael O'Hara, the customer relations manager. He followed up on everything to the very last day at check-out. Staffers such as "Mike" make these luxurious hotels well worth the spend. Each room has a private butler literally at your beckon call, from room service to dinner arrangements to poolside. The beach is beautiful albeit a bit rocky, the hotel built a manmade section that is all sand bottom and it is roped off. We rode bikes into town daily and to neighboring hotels (including The Four Seasons) for a drink or breakfast....This is by far the best choice for Punta Minta. To Mike, Carl and our two butlers, thank you for an amazing stay. We will see you soon. Best, Mauricio and Jane...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We live in the area and a two night getaway is a something we do for ourselves often. This was our first stay at the St. Regis Punta Mita. It is every bit as gorgeous as the photos imply. The service is over the top great. The restaurants, especially Carolina, were outstanding the butler had our coffee in the morning 10 minutes after our request. The Friday night champagne ritual was just a good as the Kauai property with a picture perfect sunset in the background. Will return next month. Just as beautiful as Hawaii without the expense or attitude or time commitment. Returning next month. Our room was huge with an outside shower.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful week here on our own, after spending the previous week at Dreams Villamagna in Puerto Vallarta with our family. While Dreams was pleasant and comfortable for a large group (there were 10 of us), there's no comparison between the two properties. St. Regis Punta Mita is a beautifully landscaped, very private luxury resort. The grounds, our suite, and the food were all superb. Moreover, although the resort was full, it didn't feel that way at all. We had lots of space to ourselves at the various pools throughout, and the beach was never busy. Best of all, the service was wonderful. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful - from the butler, to the bartenders, waiters, housekeeping staff - right up to the management, who checked in with us periodically to be sure we were being well looked after. As an example of the service, we stupidly left the room safe open one day, with all of our valuables - credit cards, cash, iPhones, etc. just sitting there. We didn't even realize it, until we returned to the room and our safe code wouldn't work. We assumed one of us had entered the wrong code to lock it, and called our butler to help us out. Very quickly, security arrived to explain that the chambermaid had found the safe open, and called security immediately. They did an inventory of the safe's contents, locked it, and left us a message to contact them (which we hadn't seen when we returned to the room). They were very courteous, very professional, and of course, there was nothing missing. Nice when the resort is that secure, and that helpful. Suffice to say, we're big fans of this resort, and will be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We would definitely return to this resort. The service is amazing. Starting at check-in, they make sure that you have everything that you need. You have a personal butler who responds immediately to being paged. He offered to unpack us (!!) and brought us fabulous coffee every morning. At the beach and beautiful pools, they actually run to bring you multiple towels to layout on your chair before you sit down. While laying in the sun, they bring you water bottles on ice (free), and then if you want, you can order food and drinks. The beach is beautiful although it is rocky, so it's not the best swimming beach. There are lots of pools and a great hot tub with a perfect view. The grounds are extremely well-maintained. The rooms are very nice with lovely patios and large bathrooms (note we were on the 2nd floor). Keep in mind an "ocean view" isn't a full ocean view, but it's still a beautiful view. The food is good, especially if you stick to Mexican (you are in Mexico), although there are some great local restaurants that are definitely worth going to. It's also a good location for surfing, diving etc and only an hour or so from Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

From Suz_from_LA,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience in Paradise. Our valuable team strives to top attentive service and assert the most pleasurable stay. Our residential-style beach suites are meant to capture the feeling of a paradisal home away from home, and our valuable team strives top attentive service and assert the most pleasureable stay.

Please feel free to share your photos of your trip on our social media platforms.
We hope to see again in the future, albeit a group celebration or intimate getaway – Paradise awaits!

Saludos,

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!