“Paradise Found”

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We visited the St Regis Punta de Mita the first week of March and had an amazing time. Our room was the Junior Suite, which we loved. It had a wonderful soaking tub and outdoor shower that we used often. The bed was very comfy and the room came with butler service. Everything was fantastic throughout our visit from accommodations to service. On our final evening, we had the hotel chef prepare the fish the guys caught a few hours earlier and the butler served us on our patio. Wonderful!

Room Tip: My cousin had the deluxe suite, upstairs and it had a better view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
carlitosembo, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Madam Sirt
Greetings from the St Regis Punta Mita and thank you for your visit !! We are indeed thrilled you doscivered Paradise here with us in Punta Mita !! I am glad our Chefs were on hand as they always are to prepare your familys catch. The fishing is great here and nothing like fresh fish !! THanks again for your visit and do come back soon
Carl Emberson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I can't say enough about how much my husband and I enjoyed our stay at St. Regis Punta Mita. The hotel was stunning and the rooms were beautiful and clean. We got an upgrade upon our arrival to a suite overlooking the ocean and we couldn't have been happier. The layout of the hotel made it seem like you were on vacation alone - even though we knew it was booked to capacity, we never had trouble getting a table for breakfast or chairs on the beach or by the pool.

The staff is what really made this hotel for us. Everyone was so kind and helpful. We didn't use the butler service that much, but they were very accommodating when we did. And despite what some other reviewers have said, they didn't bother us at all. Every once in a while they'd check in on us to see if we needed anything, but it wasn't at all pushy. The one staff person that went above and beyond for us was Javier - one of the beach servers by the adult pool. If anyone at the St. Regis is reading this, please give this man a raise! He treated us like gold the entire time and worked so hard for us all week. My husband and I often commented that we thought he was the hardest working man in the whole hotel. Finally, it was fairly obvious that my husband and I were there on a babymoon as I was showing considerably at that point. A few staff members inquired about the baby and I mentioned we were having a boy. During turndown service on our final night, the staff had the whole room lit with candles, drew a bath and had rose petals on the bed. They also made cute little figurines of a baby and an elephant on our bed made out of towels. The note was very sweet and they congratulated us on our baby boy. We did not expect this at all nor did we expect them to remember that we were having a boy. Its things like this that make a vacation special.

A few more things to note about the hotel. I would leave the grounds for dinner. We dined at Carolina (which was delicious albeit a bit expensive) and Sea Breeze (just ok). Make sure you go to Sufi and Si Senor outside the resort - both were incredible and inexpensive.

Finally, I have to mention the one negative about the hotel. You couldn't swim in the ocean due to all the rocks. The beach itself was beautiful and you can sit on lounge chairs and enjoy the view, but any swimming must be done in the pools. We aren't big pool people so we found this to be a bit of a disappointment, but it wouldn't stop us from coming back here.

All in all our stay was amazing and we are very grateful to the staff of the St. Regis Punta Mita for a well needed relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCNYC80

Dear Madam / Sir
Greetings from THe St Regis Punta MIta and thank you so much for your visit and for sharing the impressions of your Babymoon with us !! We hope you return with your newborn child in due course and wish you all well !! I will share your positivie comments on breakfast with the Chef as well as with Javier who is indeed a fine waiter. You certainly got the right dining choices between our own Carolina and 2 of my favourite Punta MIta Restaurants Si Senor and Sufi !!! In regards to the beach it is long and rocky in some spots however as I hope you saw has a good swimming area in front of Sea Breeze. Once again thank you gracias and hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The only reason this hotel did not get five stars is due to spotty service. The grounds and facilities are spectacular and the food and drink superb. However, there were several occasions where service was very very slow (e.g. 1 hour to bring bottles of water to the room) or mistakes were made, requests forgotten, etc. Despite this, I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan on going back myself.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam Sir

greetings and thank you so much for visiting us recently and for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay. I am sorry we did not make the top rank in your experience and rest assured I will be sharing your comments with the team as we continue on our mission to deiver memorable service on a consistent basis 24/7. I hope on the occasion of your next visit you will experience that

Thanks alot Carl Emberson

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Todd and I enjoyed enjoyed enjoyed. Great couple get away.. We went in may 2011. Fabulous staff, casita with outdoor shower. Wonderful. Very private, quite.. Had a blast horseback riding through the town and yes into the bar. Great little surf town close to hotel.

Room Tip: We went during may, Loved the outdoor shower in our casita
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Hello Cindy-Todd,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you had such a great time during your romantic getaway a few years ago. Our residential-style beach living is truly a home away from home, and our valuable team strives to top attentive service and assert the most pleasurable stay. Activities abound in Punta Mita and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed riding into town on horse; what a unique experience!
Please join us again in the future as we strive to make every St. Regis Punta Mita experience surpass your expectations.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

There is little i can add to the hotel reviews by others, the St Regis is really terrific and the staff is very very nice. Just spent 7 days there with my family and enjoyed every minute. A couple of things to know:
1.The beach is sandy, but is very rocky at the shoreline. If you plan to swim in the ocean or go for a long walk towards the Four Seasons, bring water shoes, it just isn't possible otherwise. That said, the pools are so nice you may never go in the ocean!
2. We just returned (mid February), the weather was great, mid 80s during the day but 60s and breezy in the evening. Really makes sleeping easy, but if you plan to eat or have drinks on the beach at night and get chilly easily, pack a light summer sweater or a linen long sleeve.
3. Make dinner reservations in advance for peak weeks for the best restaurants. Breakfast and lunch are terrific at the hotel, but Carolinas was too formal for our taste and there is only one other dinner choice which is casual (which i would rate 4 stars) on property. In our opinion, the best dinner choices are all downtown (5 mins by cab). Tripadvisor reviews were pretty spot on, we went to Rosa Mexicano, Si Senor and Casa Teresa. All great.
4. This part of mexico is very quiet. more than a few times i walked through the property at 9:30 PM and there were no guests to be seen, most seemed to be back in their room. if you are the stay out late at the bar type, bring along friends because it will be tought to execute here.

Lastly, there is much discussion here about Four Seasons vs St Regis. Having stayed at the Four Seasons twice (during off weeks) and this trip, the first time at St Regis, I think for a peak travel week, St Regis is much better. Three pools each the size of the main FS pool, and much less congested. I walked over to the FS one morning last week (about 25 minutes) and noticed by 930AM people were already 'reserving' beach chairs by having towels placed on them, yet most were not being used and few people were at the pool. Reserving chairs is just one of those things I don't want to stress over when on vacation, and certainly not when at a premier property such as these two. But the reality for the FS is there really is only one nice pool (the adult pool at FS has no views, is much smaller and is in a woodsy setting) and more rooms, especially when combined with their residential properties. I did not have this 'save the chair' experience at FS during my off peak travel weeks. I just can't see this happening at the St Regis, fewer rooms and three times the pools. Finally, there are definitely more small children at the Four Seasons (actually, more children in general), which may be more attractive for younger families.
Let's face it, both are really nice properties, but I would pick the St Regis again because of the pools and significantly more space and privacy. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jim F

Dear Jim F,
Saludos from Paradise! I begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your extraordinary stay with us – We are glad you enjoyed our legendary infinity pools, exceptional amenities and unforgettable rituals. We are blessed with a wonderful team and am glad we exceeded your expectations. I am sure your tips on transportation and alternate dining options will be useful to future guests.
Thank you for the positive endorsement and please feel free to share your experience of this little slice of heaven on earth.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the St Regis Punta Mita. The staff are incredibly helpful and attentive, the facilities / grounds are first class & well maintained. The layout of the units gives each room a feeling of seclusion - which is a rare feat. Upon arrival you are greeted with a tasty margarita & introduction to your butler, then after relaxing in the open air lobby you are escorted to your room.

Highlights for us were:
* Luis R & his service on the beach. Got all of our off menu orders exactly right & the drinks kept coming.
* Manuel and Liz - gave us the rundown on where they live, how they get to work, how long it takes, kids sports in the small outlying towns etc... Very interesting.
* Dinner at Sufi!!!
* Watching the Oscars in SeaBreeze bar.
* Lowtide go out to the island - crazy sealife, large crabs all along the northern end.
* Spend an afternoon at Si Senors or any of the beach bars. Watch surfers, have killer cocktails and delicious food.
* The workout room had plenty of equipment all in fine working order.

As a side note, we rode bikes around the properties & went up to the 4Seasons (We love the 4Seasons on Wailea). After walking around for about 20 minutes we were even more impressed with the St Regis. Quite a contrast in concepts between the two operations.

The only thing that wasn't very good / excellent was our mattress. Much softer than our very firm bed at home. Too bad all 5 star resorts dont have a Sleepnumber sort of bed - allowing each person to set their own firmness. That being said, this is a small complaint & not enough of an issue for us to comment to front desk or give less than a 5 star review.

We can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie H

Dear Laurie H,
Saludos from The St. Regis Punta Mita! Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience in paradise – as the General Manager, it truly makes my day to read about your extraordinary stay with us. As you have noted, we are blessed with an amazing team of caring anticipative service ethic. Rest assured I will pass on your lovely words to Luis, Manuel and Liz.
We´d like to thank you for your loyalty and hope to see you again in the near future. Let´s create more memorable experiences in Paradise!

Carl Emberson & the Team

Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you could give this resort 3.5 stars- it would be more appropriate. For every need the hotel has a strength. My husband says 3 stars is too tough.

To start, the resort is beautiful! The rooms are well equipped, the pools are gorgeous, the grounds are generally peaceful. The area is safe. The pool has ample seats so there is no need to reserve a chair early in the morning. The grounds are well spread out and there is a quaintness to the resort that makes it very comfortable and very private. It is spread out well so you can't tell the resort is sold out. There is a manager, Mike, on grounds- pretty much constantly who is very helpful, has great suggestions and conquers all tasks no matter what you ask of him. We felt safe with his presence. The resort had an amazing kids club and was very kid friendly. They had some fun family activities and the trademark St. Regis events. However, if you are coming without children, there are two pools laid out next to the ocean that are for adults only. You could spend the whole time without seeing a child!

Our room was large with a gorgeous bathroom, beautiful lanai, outdoor shower and large TV. The rooms come with a butler that we did not use. The beds are very comfortable.

Here are the needs of the resort: the service is still just average. We have been at many resorts that anticipate your needs prior to needing them. This resort is playing catch up. At check in, we were given a map rather than a tour and explanation of what the resort offers, a golf cart tour of the property, an explanation of the room, some of the amenities, etc. When we were getting in the cab to go home, we saw bikes to rent- we never knew they were there. Our second to last night, we realized there was a screen to mechanically pull down to shield the bugs and hear the ocean.

At the pool, you waited for drinks, menus, etc. I frequently got up and went to the bar for our needs. There is no one setting up your chair and cleaning up the area. Restaurant service- with the exception of Santiago at Seabreeze- was at best average. The cleaning service removed some a full box of sanitary items I overpaid for at the resort store and rather than replacing them, I had to buy another box. We were skipped in turn down service twice in our 5 night stay. One night they took all of our towels and never replaced them- we didn't know it until we got out of the shower with no towels.

Our room was beautiful but we faced a house under construction that was loud at 9am. When asked to be moved there were no other options.

The beach- while being lovely to look at is not something to swim in. Of course being the pacific side of Mexico, it is colder- but the resort has taken very little effort to clear out a section to make it rock free and smooth. There is a small section that is far from the kids pool. The beach activities are limited as well. They do have surf boards, boogie boards, kayaks to rent which was annoying. I prefer resorts that don't nickel and dime you- charge a daily fee and give the guests options of things to do. The nickel and diming of everything seemed to cheapen the resort. Other St. Regis resorts we have stayed at have had googles, snorkle gear, swim toys, etc. to offer the children. This resort had a few sand toys but again really does not spend time thinking of things the guests would enjoy.

In summation, we would return but only for a weekend. We would have a difficult time staying for longer than a few nights without the use of the beach and options of things to do. While the service is not stellar- it's not a deal breaker and does not ruin your stay. Every single person working there was so well meaning and friendly. There was a very happy, private and peaceful feel to the resort. For our family, we left our busy lives and calmed for a few days with each other. Hard to go wrong with that mentality!

Room Tip: Ask about the construction.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Anna H
carlitosembo, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Madam Sir

Greetings from The St Regis Punta Mita - thank you for yourt visit and for your detailed review which I have read and shared with the team. I am glad you had an enjoyable holiday with us and found our principal asset our staff to have been friendly and with the right attitude. We will work on the details that you mention as we continue on our journey to offering day in day out impeccable service and memorable experiences. Feedback such as yours allow us to montitor and improve and for that we are grateful.

Yours Sincerely Carl

#2 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!