“Above and Beyond Paradise”

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have stayed at lovely resorts before, but the St. Regis, Punta Mita Resort far, far exceeded our expectations. First and foremost, the entire staff was the happiest, friendliest staff we have ever encountered. Starting with being greeted by Carl, the GM, we were immedidately taken to the lovely patio and served Champagne. Then we were off to see our room which was stunning inside with a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. The food was delicious and the service - impeccable. The grounds of the resort are immaculate, the beauty - breathtaking. It was my 50th birthday, and they made sure that I was aware of it with their beautiful decorations, etc. By the end of our stay, we felt like family to the ones we got to know personally. We will definitely return.

1  Thank Amy R
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Greetings from Punta Mita Amy,

I am so very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to welcome guests for their special day. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments about our staff and resort, and I will be sure to pass your kind words on to the rest of our team. I hope you had an unforgettable birthday here in paradise, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Carl Emberson, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I found the St. Regis to be the perfect answer for an end of summer vacation to escape the hectic pace of work. Arriving just in time Friday for the Champagne Ritual was an indication of the epxerience to come. The accommodations were outstanding and the staff spoiled us, particularly Leo and Ricardo. The classes taught by Tony each day were alwyas interesting and provided mid-day relief from the sun. The food at the hotel was very good but wish there were more options all week for dinner besides Sea Breeze, but I understand it was the off-season. Would recommend staying for anyone who wants to relax and pamper themselves.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are the best but I doubt there is a bad view from any of the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Greetings from Punta Mita,

I am pleased to hear you had a relaxing stay with us - during the Champagne Ritual is the perfect time to arrive, no? I will be sure to pass your kind review on to Leo, Ricardo, Tony, and the rest of our staff who are always pleased to know their hard work has paid off. In regard to your comment about dinner options, we do appreciate your understanding that during certain times of the year, it is not feasible for us to have all of our restaurants open the entire week. Punta Mita has some wonderful dining options which I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy in the light of the fact we had only Sea Breeze open.

Sincere thanks for your recommendation of The St. Regis Punta Mita. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

After 4 days at the St Regis in Mexico City, we arrived at the St Regis Punta Mita. My first thought was 'why did we spend time in Mexico City?!'. It all starts at reception. Jorge was waiting for us with a choice of Margarita or Ice Tea (as you can imagine, Margarita won) and take us to this sitting area outside overseeing several infinite pools and the ocean at the end. Whilst they sort out the paper work for the check in, we remain there sipping margaritas. They have upgraded us to a lovely beachfront suite.

Service was impeccable and the facilities imacculate clean. There was not a lot of people in the resort which made us feel quite relaxed. But even if it were full, I believe it would not change anything since the rooms are far from each other and you can keep it to yourself, if this is your plan. It is hard to tell what was the best part, from breakfast to the pool service, passing by the spa.

What I can say, if you need to take a break, don't think twice about another place. We are definitely going back.

Room Tip: Get the beachfront rooms. Room 5503 was amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Greetings from Punta Mita,

Thank you for your visit and for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us (although we know The St. Regis Mexico City is lovely as well) – Id have to agree the Margarita is lovely upon check in – I will let Jorge know and I will be sure to pass your kind notes on to the rest of our team as we take great pleasure in knowing our guests had a memorable stay. We truly appreciate your recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our 4 day/4 night trip to St. Regis Punta Mita, where we were spoiled from moment one! It was the best vacation we've had in our 10 years together.
We arrived from airport, picked up promptly by St. Regis car service and delivered to the hotel, greeted with Margaritas and checked in, while sitting casually in comfortable chairs, taking in the first of many astounding views of the ocean. An incredible welcome. We were taken to our room, and introduced to or personal butler, who handled our every need. The ROOM...wow! The decor was lovely and comfortable and everything so well thought out. Our favorites were was our vast living area, especially the terrace, overlooking the beach- the same view could be seen from our bed! We were in a suite, so I don't know if all of the rooms have this, but our outdoor shower was another favorite! There's nothing like showering under palm trees and sky in the balmy Mexican evenings! Our days were long and sunny and relaxing- the pools were divine- all 3 of them! Our toughest decision was which pool, or beach chair to relax in. The ocean was very swimmable and we took advantage of the activities provided by Punta Mita Expeditions, right there on the beach. We had planned to go off-site for some exploring, but everything we needed was right there at he St. Regis! I had a paddle board and surf lesson and we also did a trip to the Marietta Islands that I highly recommend- it's so great to get out on the water by boat, touring, snorkeling, and swimming. We didn't make it to the "hidden beach" on the island because of the tide, but google that to see what you're in for- beautiful.
he restaurants were amazing, staff friendly, attentive - beyond! Never have we had such service. Whether poolside, at the bar, or at one of the three restaurants, we felt we were being treated like royalty. For a special dinner, I recommend Carolina's- our dinner was the best we'd ever had and the presentation like a piece of art! (We had chosen our fish on the beach that morning! The chef invited guests to the beach during the day and displayed the fresh caught fish, hauled in by local fisherman.) My husband ate fish tacos everyday for lunch- he never tired of them! Fresh fish and guacamole and margaritas- it worked for us! :)
We had one meal 'off-site" in the town of Punta de Mita - inly a 5 minute taxi from hotel. The restaurant was called Si Senor and, as hard as it was, it was well worth peeling ourselves away- ever so briefly- from the comfy confines of the St. Regis! We sat at a waterside table, waves lapping on the dock beside us, while serenaded by guitar and Mexican song. A table near us, broke into song with the singer and it was a truly lovely experience. I just wish I could have finished my dinner! I had the biggest, freshest piece of fresh tuna- delicious.
I could go on and on about our vacation- truly can not recommend it enough! We will definitely go back.. considering bringing our kids next time- they are very well set up for families as well, but have adult only areas, so it works for everyone. Oh, I forgot to mention the SPA! We had a wonderful couple massage at Remede Spa at hotel... and it too, was incredible! To us, the
St. Regis could do no wrong- Best trip ever! We will be BACK!

Room Tip: At the right time of year, upgrading to a deluxe room or suite seems very reasonable! Overall, you...
2  Thank Kelly M

Greetings from Punta Mita Kelly,

Thank you for vacationing with us and for your lovely review! I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Your review does a wonderful job capturing the beauty of our resort, both in the rooms and out on the grounds. I loved your description of the outdoor shower, one of my favorite touches in all of our rooms. I'm glad to hear you were able to experience the wonderful excursions and activities that we now offer with Punta Mita Expeditions. The Marietas are lovely, are they not?

Your comments about our dining experiences are also much appreciated. Our staff works extremely hard to create memorable moments like the Catch of the Day ritual, and I will be sure to pass your kind words along to our executive chef, Sylvain Desbois (you are right, he is a culinary artist!), and to the rest of the staff as well.

Thank you as well for sharing some of your pictures here on Trip Advisor. Your cocktail photo by the pool is fabulous! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We travel quite frequently, and were quite impressed with the St. Regis Punta Mita. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. We also felt very safe within the gated Punta Mita community. The gated area of Punta Mita is like an oasis in the middle of nowhere. The only downside would be that the majority of the beach is un-swimmable.

We highly recommend the hotel car service! It is a bit expensive, but you realize how worth it really is on your drive to and from the resort. We met friends who rented a car and said all-in it cost them ~$330 to rent a car for 5 days. It’s nice not to have to worry about driving, or parking. Just sit back and let someone else do the work – you are on vacation!!!

The rooms are quite impressive. They were decorated quite nicely. Although we did not get upgraded as we usually do, it was still enjoyable. I wish we had a better view of the ocean, as requested, but at a resort this beautiful, we didn't spend too much time in the room. The outdoor shower is very nice - yes, a little cheesy, but we made use of it everyday. We even had a hand-written note from Carl, the GM to welcome us to the resort.

The butler service is a nice amenity. We had a combination of three butlers (morning, afternoon, and evening) while we were there. What I found strange was that the quickest way to get in contact with our butlers was to call the concierge. Half the time, the concierge just handled our request without evening involving the butlers. At other resorts, we had a cell phone given to us to contact our butler directly, and I feel that might be a better way in the future. I would not pay extra for this service, as they did not make any reservations, reserve beach/pool chairs, etc... but they were attentive when we made a request. The complimentary French Press or American coffee in the mornings was a nice touch.

The adults-only pool is a great place for couples to unwind while on a romantic vacation. We had two beach chairs and an umbrella reserved for us each day as well, thanks for Antonio. We would start the day at the beach, and end the day at the pool - perfect combo! Antonio was a gem! He and the entire staff at the adults-only beach/pool were fantastic! Their cocktails are very refreshing! It was quite hot while we were there, so the staff was very attentive, and brought lots of water, ice, cold towels, etc... You have to get the guacamole - it is AMAZING and HUGE!!!!

The gym was well-equipped for a group. It filled up each morning around 9:30-10:00am, but everyone had a machine or piece of equipment to use. It did get extremely hot in there, but that’s to be expected. The scented towels in the fridge are fantastic!!!

Dinner at Carolina was fantastic. It was quite expensive ($350 for two people), but the food was very flavorful, and presentation was impressive! The French chef loves to experiment, and it pays off! The cocktails at the Carolina bar were also very unique and extremely refreshing. Gabriella (along with her team) was a knowledgeable and attentive server.

Dinner at Seabreeze was wonderful! We dined here on our last night, and are certainly glad we did. The food was plentiful and very tasty! The passion fruit and lemongrass cocktail was absolutely amazing!!! I couldn't get enough :) I want to try and make it at home, but know it will never be as good as they make it.

Lunch at Las Marietas took forever. Yes, the food was very good, but 1.5 hours for a pool-side lunch is a bit long. We were so hot by the time our lunch came, that it made it hard to enjoy. Although the tortilla soup was soooo good!

We went into town to Si Senor one night upon recommendation from the staff. Very fun, and very good food! For four people (with lots of drinks) the bill was only $200…not bad!

We also had dinner at Sufi – everyone recommended this restaurant. We were surprised to find that it was not “in town” as we had heard. It is within the gated Punta Mita community, at the end of a golf course. The view is nice, and the food is very good! The ambiance lacked a little compared to Si Senor, Carolina, and Seabreeze, but it was still very pretty!

My trip to the Spa was very relaxing! My 90-minute deep tissue massage was incredible. She found knots in my muscles I didn't even know I had! The steam room was very relaxing after my massage. The spa lounge is nice, but it was too hot to lounge outside. I only saw one other person in the spa while I was there - it was basically empty. My only disappointment was that the spa menu says "price includes 16% VAT and 10% service charge will be added", and then they tacked on an additional 16% VAT when I checked out. It seems deceptive if you ask me.

My husband was able to play both golf course (Pacifico and Bahia) while we were there. He said they were absolutely beautiful, and challenging as well. He liked the courses so much that we drove around one afternoon to take photos so he can hang them in his office. Hole 3B on the Pacifico course is amazing! Definitely worth going back when the tide is out! The "$60 replay charge" is very deceptive. Please keep in mind that they won't tell you until after you have played the second time (and paid the full $220 greens fees), but it is only $60 if you replay within the same day. Wish we would have known that ahead of time, rather than after the fact.

I would also like to note that Mike O'Hara (Guest Relations and Spa Director) was very friendly. You could always find him walking around the resort, checking in to make sure guests were enjoying themselves. He even helped us load the car upon our checkout. Definitely hands-on management here...which is a nice touch!

Overall, we really liked this resort. Food was very good! Staff was extremely attentive! Grounds were well maintained! We would rank this in our Top 3 resorts we have traveled to. We will definitely go back (not in late August though - too hot!!!) Thank you to the St. Regis Punta Mita for helping us unwind, and enjoy our romantic trip to your resort!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Greetings from Punta Mita Jessica,

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I am so pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. My apologies that we were not able to offer you an upgrade at the time of your visit, but I am happy to hear that you were pleased with your room. Roy Azar, our award winning architect, did a fabulous job with the design and we agree, the outdoor showers are a pleasure. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to our Butlers and the rest of the staff as they work extremely hard to ensure our guests have an unforgettable stay.

I am also glad to hear you were able to enjoy our Remède Spa - the masseuses do indeed relieve stresses you never knew you had! In regard to comment about the 16% tax, the tax should definitely been included in the price of the treatment and there should have only been one charge for the massage on your bill. If there has been a mix-up, however, please email me directly at carl.emberson@stregis.com so that I may look into this for you. I will look into the issue you mentioned about the replay fee as we would never want our guests to feel they have been deceived.

It is an honor to be considered one of the top three resorts you've experienced and I sincerely hope that after your next visit with us, we will be your clear number one.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

From the moment we arrived, I knew this was some place special. From Edgar the bartender to Mike O'hara the spa manager, everyone there made us feel right at home. This by far is my favorite starwood property. I'll be back soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Greetings from The St. Regis Punta Mita,

Thank you for your stay and for your review. I will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff (especially Edgar and Mike) who work very hard to ensure our guests have an unforgettable stay. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Recently spent a week plus at St. Regis Punta Mita. The property is beautiful, staff uniformly nice and helpful, and having butler service is a nice feature which we appreciated. Pools are great, beach less so (rocky and water isn't too clear), but if you are a pool person you will like the facilities here. Our kids played golf, said the course was very nice - although it is expensive to play there. Fitness facility is small but was never crowded, although we were there low season. We did not use the spa.
One issue people should watch out for is the on-site activities company - Punta Mita Expeditions - guests are better off booking w/ an outside vendor. We were not happy w/ the one excursion we took through PME and when we (and other guests) complained we did not get very far w/ the company. After that, we went w/ outside vendors for everything and were very satisfied.
Otherwise, nice service at hotel and everyone responsive to guests' needs. We would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the beach w/ two bedrooms, living room, etc., because we were four people and need...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
cemberson, General Manager at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Greetings from The St. Regis Punta Mita,

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our property, our signature butler service, our pools, and our golf courses. Our staff works extremely hard to ensure I guests have a truly unforgettable experience.

In regard to your comments about Punta Mita Expeditions, I would love to hear more about the excursion you took. We just recently partnered with Punta Mita Expeditions and have been very pleased with the services they offer so far, but I look forward to your insights. If you could email me at carl.emberson (at) stregis.com with more about your experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

We appreciate you recommending our resort, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
#1 of 11 in Punta de Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort? Share your experiences!