“Treated Like Royalty”

The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The service was impecable and the grounds were meticulously maintained. We were very impressed with the master suites ammenities and the ocean view. The location was perfect for us being far enough from town providing a quiet relaxing atmosphere, but only a short ride to town if we wanted to shop. The food was excellent and lunch menu changed daily with specials in the evening at the Royal restaurant. We ate 3 times in the main resort alacarte restaurants which were great but prefered the Royal alacarte. The staff was amazing. From the chief of staff to the housekeeping staff everyone was pleasant and eager to meet our every need. Could not have asked for anything more. Special thanks to Julio, Karina, Hilda, Manuel, Mario and Alfredo. You are the Best!

Chris, Valerie and Jake W.
Wisconsin

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CVJW
AnaMCastro, General Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Dear CVJW:
First of all, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about our staff service. We really appreciate all comments that we receive from our guests and I will send them to the people who you mentioned here.
I would like to say that we take very seriously all comments and suggestions that we receive from our guest in order to improve our services day to day.
Please, let me know if you decide to come back here and if I can help you with anything else
Best regards

Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in july 2010. It was our first time to Mexico. We've only been to Cuba before this trip.The resort has two sides. The Royal side is adults only which I strongly reccomend. It has it's own pool, restaraunt, beach, bar & lobby. You also have access to the regular resort which has two pools, beach, buffet & 3 restaraunts.
We only went to the buffet once as the royal restaraunt was open to us anytime without booking. It was so good and the staff were so friendly. We also tried all 3 of the a la cart restaraunts you have to book. Mexican was the best. We booked with west jet & we were pleasantly surprised. When we fly west jet in Canada its nothing to rave about but their vacation packages are well done. We had a little customized booklet with info, our airport transfers & our hotel booking all together. We were also greeted very nicely at the airport. Our room was amazing. We had a jet tub, nice big shower, well stocked mini bar & fridge and a patio. the view from the patio wasn't great but it was very private .At the resort we were able to book excursions with west jet as well. They had a buy 2 get 1 free deal. We went on two different boat trips to do some snorkling. One was las caletas where you go to a beautiful beach for lunch & many activities such as swimming, kayaking, nature walk... unfortunatly when we went there were jelly fish. The guides went to 3 different spots before it was deemed safe to snorkle. We saw jellyfish in the water but as far as I know nobody got stung. It was still beautiful and amazing. The other excursion we did was the zipling adventure tour. What a rush. I was scared but it was very safe & the guides were just awesome. Very fun. You get to do 2 rappelsw over waterfalls & 7 zip lines. Its out in the jungle so the scenary was incredible. I had to remind myself to look around. The only part we didn't enjoy was the fact that you have to ride donkey mule things up to the first zip. We don't even like horses but I was proud of myself for coping very well. My husband didn't fair as well. I guess his mule kept wanting to get ahead of the others. The look on his face when he got to the top was priceless. We even seen dolphins on the boat trip to where the zip lines are. Incredible!
We also brought our fishing rods with us. We just walked up the royal side beach ( which by the way is not great for swimming but its nice for a walk or you can sit on a cabana bed & relax, the beach at the regular side was great for boogie boarding & surfing but a bit rocky, still safe to swim though) anyhow we just walked around some peaks, took shrimp from the royal restaraunt snack menu as bait and had a blast. The first time we werent lucky at all. The second time my husband caught a puffer fish and I caught a trigger fish. The third and last time my husband caught 2 different species of puffer fish and I caught a triggerfish with a lot of fight in him. He kept diving down into the rocks and broke my rod. We ended up bringing him in by hand. We didn't keep any of the fish we caught. The third trip, we had to be careful not to be too close to the locals that were spear fishing.
Two unique things that we really enjoyed at this resort was the zoo/ gardens. We are nature loving people & we found it just beautiful and the tide pool. If you bring bread its great to see all the little fish in there and its a great place to watch the sun set.
The resort is off the beaten path & the excursions are early. There isn't shuttle service to take you to the excursions. We took the local bus which comes right to the edge of the resort and we did just fine. We got off too early the first time and the local taxi drivers were very nice and could tell we were a bit lost. The resort is also on a hillside which makes it very beautiful. I have joint pain in my knees and such and didn't have a hard time getting around at all. I was worried when reading other reviews. I think it would only be a problem for elderly, crutches & wheel chairs. The buffet had quite the stairs as did some of the other restaraunts but we stayed on the royal side for most of our meals. Go with an open mind and make the best of it. I would highly reccomend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keeka_10
JulioCA, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2011

Dear Guest:

We are very much pleasant about your positive comments on your trip report, I can see you had a very nice time in our place, reason why we want to inform you how important are your comments for us and of course the good information that you are giving to our future Guest, I just want to say Thank you again and see you soon, all The Royal Suites Team will be glad to take care of you again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2011

It's interesting to review the other posts written on the Royal suites by recent guests. Our experience was vastly different. The noise in the neighboring rooms had left both of us with terrible sleeping experiences - we could hear everything in the neighboring bathrooms including switching off the lights to flushing the toilet. Every evening while lying awake, we could hear conversations in other rooms including snoring from the person next door. Our complaint to management was completely ignored. We have been to other five star resorts and in comparison, this resort is not accurately rated - It's more of a 3.5 star resort. Though the service from the bar and restaurant staff was excellent, the food was quite poor. In talking to other well travelled guests at the hotel, they also agreed the food quality was inferior. We will never stay at any palladium related resort again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank choyl
AnaMCastro, General Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear Choyl,
I am very sorry if your stay in The Royal Suites Punta de Mita was a disappointing experience. We take our guests comments very seriously in order to improve our services. Unfortunately we couldn’t offer you a room isolated from any neighbours because it is an unusual request and impossible guarantee as you can understand. I know that our Royal Suites Manager offered to give you a room change in order to compensate your inconvenience and that you declined when he couldn’t guarantee that you wouldn’t have any guests in the neighbouring rooms.
Unfortunately the sound level is an unavoidable situation due to the construction of the building.
Again, I apologize that you were not able to enjoy your vacation. While we try our best to make sure our guests have a great experience with us, we do fall short in our efforts from time to time.

Reviewed January 1, 2011

Nice resort, solid four stars. There are approximately 100 rooms in the Royal Suites Resort but I am sure it was not more than 25% occupied. Of the two buildings one was completely empty. Excellent service from the restaurant and bar staff. The older guy who wears glasses and works in the restaurant is exceptional. Resort is very clean and well maintained. I recommend eating all your meals on the Royal Suites side of the complex, the menu is varied and exceeds anything you will find on the Palladium side. Very peaceful as this is an adults only resort.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sunsearcher747
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Dear sunsearcher747,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback, very much appreciated. I will pass to our staff your comments about the food and the service. These comments help and give motivation to the personal and so improve our service day to day. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests.

Thanks again and if you decide to visit us again and for any further comments please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Alex Martin
Food and beverage director.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

There were fewer reviews for this resort on TripAdvisor until recently so I’ll write a longer one.
We looked for an ideally adults-only destination, and with predictable weather (I wouldn’t try again Northern Cuba in December-February). We picked this resort for a mid-December vacation and it’s been a great choice.
We’ve been here in low season (my guess: less than 30% full, maybe 40% on the Palladium side), high season experiences might differ.
The weather has been perfect: no precipitations, very few clouds, 30*C high and 15*C low (a little chilly overnight and in the morning before 9 AM – sunrise at 7:30 AM; we didn’t use the air conditioning after 5 PM – room oriented east), no mosquitos or bugs of any kind.
The vegetation looked great (the rainy season ends in October), it might get tired towards April.
We flew with Sunquest via Huatulco; we had to get out of the plane (with all the luggage) and do the Mexican customs entry in Huatulco, then get again on the same plane (although a different flight number) to get to Puerto Vallarta.
When getting out of the Puerto Vallarta airport do not engage in any conversation until you see your tour operator representatives (with their signs), there are more timeshare people than you can imagine (and being polite doesn’t help).
The bus trip to the resort took over an hour; the resort is at least 30 minutes north of the Riu cluster (and most of the Riviera Nayarit resorts sold to Canadians).
Royal Suites Punta Mita (short: RS) is the adults-only section of the Palladium Vallarta resort (short: Palladium), you have full access from RS to Palladium but not vice-versa.
There is a special check-in area, with the incoming guests listed each day in an open book. RS has two 3-level buildings, around 100 suites (probably around 300 rooms at Palladium).
By design (or geography) you may reach some points only by walking through the main floor of some of the villas, some may prefer a higher floor room. If you have mobility problems this is not the resort for you: one must walk everywhere (no carts carrying people around) and there are stairs almost everywhere.
The RS “suite” is pretty large, very well maintained and it could have either a typical bathroom, or open space room + Jacuzzi + sink (closed shower room and toilet). There are smoking and non-smoking rooms. You may ask for something different from the pillow menu each day. Also available: an aromatherapy menu (a couple of dollars each choice) and a DVD menu.
You should NOT drink the room tap water!
You get 4 bottles of local alcohol (rum – whisky – tequila – vodka) for in-room consumption. The fridge has two zero-sum games:
- 4 bottles of beer, 2 Budweiser and 2 Mexican (better have an opener for the local ones) or any combination that totals 4.
- 3 bottles of water and 3 cans of soda, or any combination that totals 6 (better go to a bar with an empty bottle for drinking water; the message might be lost if different from the standard).
The RS pool is heated and open (and lit) until midnight.
WiFi is available at the pool and the main lobby, possibly in the RS rooms too.
Overall the pools (another two on the Palladium side: adults + open) seem undersized for full occupancy (that’s probably the case everywhere) and have same depth (1.20m / 1.40m).
At RS the beach towels are unlimited, prepared by staff each morning. At Palladium it might be one at a time and part of the check-out process.
The beach at RS is rocky, I’ve seen only a fisher entering the sea, but at Palladium is better than expected: a couple of rocks here and there but otherwise a pleasure (we didn’t use the beach shoes).
You can walk on the beach both ways, more to the South (and mostly on sand, rocks to the North) – better check the tide high/low times (displayed at the sports centre, around 1.20m difference during our stay).
The RS restaurant is open-air and it opens at 7 AM; you have a great view to the sea (we’ve seen many whales away in the sea). The food is great and the service is excellent, a la carte all meals (no reservation required). Between meals (or if you don’t want to move from the pool seat) there is a very good bar menu. The drinks are also very good. There is a USD 35 lobster surcharge; one day a week (Sunday? – not sure) there is free lobster (probably different from the surcharge selections).
We’ve tried all a la carte restaurants on the Palladium side, one open each day on rotation: Viva Mexico, Bambu, and Portofino (plus Tex-Mex two days a week together with one of the three: a buffet on the beach under the stars) – all very good (you must make a reservation with the concierge/butler before 2 PM).
At Viva Mexico, if you get an outdoor table you may admire/hear the sea. At Bambu or Portofino do try the flaming coffee: it’s a great show, and it ends with great coffee. We haven’t tried the buffet (El Bosque).
The butler can also make spa reservations; there are two outdoor beds at RS and three at Palladium but we chose the spa building: indoor beds but you also have a jacuzzi and a steam room. The spa masseuses might not be very proficient in English (not that English is my first language) and better stay with relaxation than what’s experienced as therapeutic massage at home.
The evening shows were OK (as in resort OK); we didn’t try the disco (11 PM to 2 AM; we’re between the age groups looking for discos).
Very nice: a mini-zoo in the middle of Palladium.
We took a daytrip to Puerto Vallarta (city tour – tropical tour), excellent for what we wanted to do (USD 50 per person, 8 AM to 5:30 PM). Since it’s a bit far from the city, not all daytrips have (free) pickup from this resort.
Many times mentioned as a turn-off in reviews/forums: over the week-end many locals came with day-passes/night-passes (mostly on the Palladium side, families with children); it didn’t get crowded and the service didn’t slow down. Some of the adults looked a little shy and overwhelmed; I wish them well and many vacations ahead.
Tipping is not expected but is appreciated; I read about better giving Pesos (MXN) than USD due to currency exchange restrictions. My understanding is that the government (trying to fight the huge amounts of drug money coming from US) limits the cash amounts at USD 300 (or 400?) per week per person, with photo ID (passport for foreigners); no government limits on ATM withdrawals. I’m sceptical a resort worker would be inconvenienced by this. At a jewellery store we were offered a “special price” (whatever that meant) but only if we paid by credit card, not (US) cash!
Late checkout is USD 42 until 4 PM, and USD 60 until 6 PM – discuss it the last day, if available. Credit card charges seem to go virtual USD to MXN, then MXN to USD, than USD to CAD so the final exchange rate USD to CAD might not be impressive.
We had some very boorish neighbours (making a lot of noise at 3 AM); the hotel dealt with it when notified.
Two small details:
- We asked for a courtesy call at 6:30 AM the day of the daytrip, maybe somebody else got it (one of the few occasions my spouse didn’t mind me being an early riser).
- One of the bartenders at the RS bar (near the restaurant/pool) didn’t want to be bothered with Martinis (from the bar menu), so he came with a phoney excuse about not having a … (I stopped listening). Somehow he was able to do this when ordering the same Martini via a restaurant waiter.
Would we return? Actually we already plan to, ideally in a longer vacation combining a week here and a second week at one of the Riu hotels closer to Puerto Vallarta (and we never tried a high-rise resort).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calin N
JulioCA, Gerente at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the entire team of The Royal Suites we want to thank you for your feed back about your experience in your recent vacation with us , We are delighted to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay and rate us as a good option for our visitors.

Thank you for taking time to share your impressions and thoughts and we look forward to hosting you again in this 2011.

Cordially,

The Royal Suites MAnager

Reviewed December 23, 2010

Royal Suites is the destination to go if you want outstanding service, meals, adult only atmosphere, fabulous beverages, staff that are genuinely happy, butler service that arranges services such as spa treatments, informs you of events of the day, answers questions on area shopping, schedules meals at the speciality restaurants and a Manager of the hotel that is available, accommodating and provides superior service. The hotel is beautiful, clean, grounds are maintained, the view from the restaurant, bar, and two pools (heated) look onto the beautiful ocean, we were delightfully surprised to see whales in the distance from the restaurant, pools and beach.
To elaborate on the above, we primarily ate at the restaurant at the Royal Suites because the food was exceptional, there was not a meal or service that was not fabulous, and to start our day we enjoyed the champagne and orange juice and ended the day with a chocolate fondue that was excellent. A must try at the restaurant is anything on the breakfast menu, lunch menu and supper menu. Of particular delight is the shrimp skewers – they are awesome, also available at the bar, did I mention the great ribs, burgers, sandwiches, omelettes, steaks, lobster night, chicken burritos, salsa and chips, chicken soup and if you are vegetarian who is particularly picky this is the place for you with a huge variety of food to choose from and the kitchen will accommodate substitutions from meat to vegan without any meat taste! We had two vegetarians and they loved their food. The carnivores in the group were treated to delicious prepared meals even for the heartiest of appetites.
The Chefs are top notch and I cannot thank-you enough for the attention to detail and flavour of all the wonderful food. The waiters at the restaurant are absolutely awesome! Once they get to know you, beverages just appear, and they provide superior service. The bar tenders make the best drinks – they will make whatever you want, but do try their tasteful concoctions, super friendly.
Service around the pool for beverages was awesome! No need to get up early and get a beach chair, there are plenty around the pools and beach area which also has the beds with drapes. Security is discreetly around the beach area and throughout the hotel no issues what so ever! Select vendors are allowed onto the Palladium side to sell trinkets in the evening a few times a week, as well as having a small store and jewellery store which we found very reasonable.
Rooms are clean, bathroom is spacious with a hot tub, and shower is tiled with glass doors and rain shower fawcett. Weather was fabulous no bugs! Went for two massages, one on the beach and the Spa facility, treatments provided were awesome, felt like a million bucks, those ladies are wonderful.
Hotel location is in a safe environment when leaving the hotel, at the security gate your room number and the type of transport you are taking is recorded. From the time you arrive to the time you have to leave the people of this hotel make it a wonderful vacation experience! My only regret is not staying longer, but I will make it a point to return to Punta Mita Royal Suites again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank winterpegprincess
JulioCA, Gerente at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2010

Dear Guest:

We are very pleasent to read such a wonderful trip report . Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best not only to maintain the quality of the service we provide, but also to go beyond our guests’ expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you again with us at this your home The Royal Suites Punta Mita

Reviewed December 20, 2010

We stayed at the Royal Suites at the end of November and had a wonderful time. The Royal Suites is an excellent choice for adults looking to enjoy some quiet time with a few books in a beautiful location far away from the crowds and noise of downtown PV. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Manuel at the poolside bar could give master’s classes in hospitality and literally made our vacation (thank you Manuel!). Alfredo, Carlos and the others in the Punta Mita restaurant were very gracious hosts (and the food very good). Overall, I wouldn’t hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Flashman_10
JulioCA, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Dear Mr. & Mrs.

Thank you so much for your comments about to know that your experience during your stay at The Royal Suites Punta Mita, we are very pleasant we are working with the correct directions getting the higher positive results in satisfaction, and of course we recognize the personal that makes the big differences in the service.

Cordially,