“Great Destination from California”

The Royal Suites Punta de Mita
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Oak Park, California
“Great Destination from California”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the royal suites Punta Mita from February 8-16. We have previously stayed at the Palladium Royal Suites in Punta Cana and twice in Cancun (Riviera Maya). We are Palladium addicts (great website for information on the Palladium locations) and love the resorts. We decided to try the Punta Mita resort due to the location as we live in Los Angeles and the flight is only a couple hours for us.

Arrival - We arrived at the Puerto Vallarta airport at 3:30 p.m. and headed right to Customs. There must have been a few flights that landed at the same time as the line was very long. There are restrooms located near the Customs lines, I suggest one person get in the Customs line, one head to the restroom, as the process of getting through customs can take more than 30 minutes. Even as we were in line, more planes were landing. Once through customs we got our luggage and headed for the transportation area. As other reviews have mentioned, the timeshare people are like sharks. I noticed several of them trying to read luggage tags looking for a hotel name, when they saw one, they told the people to come with them as they were with the hotel…very sneaky. We knew their tricks and walked right passed them.
It took us approximately 35 minutes to get to the hotel, declining the offer by the driver to stop for drinks. We later met a couple who stopped for an entire meal and it turned out to be exceedingly expensive. The driver took us right to the royal suites lobby. As we entered, we were immediately greeted by the front desk, offered a seat and a drink. We quickly completed the necessary paperwork (5 minutes) and were greeted by our butler Yesi. She was so friendly and kind. She walked us to our room asking us about our trip down and our prior Royal Suites visits. She explained features of our room along with the resort. We saw Yesi daily at the resort and she always had a warm smile and asked if we needed anything. She is expecting her first child in June and we can't wait to go back to see pictures of her little girl.

Room - the room was OK. We stayed in a suite in Cancun which was beautiful and had been updated recently. The Jr. suite we had was a bit dated and definitely needed some work. The beds are comfortable and I do enjoy the pillow menu. After a couple days, I stopped comparing the Punta Mita room to the Cancun room as I hardly spent time in the room. I sent an email to the resort requesting building 5, 2nd or 3rd floor, facing the jungle. I also was very specific that we have a traditional bathroom vs. one with the jacuzzi in the middle of the room. I get up at night and the tub in the dark was a huge hazard in the room at Punta Cana. All of my requests were honored which was great. One tip I would give is to bring your own shampoo and conditioner if you have sensitive hair. I used the resorts and my hair was a challenge daily. WIFI connection was very good in the room, although it was slow.

Restaurants - I have read all of the reviews for the past year about this resort and many people comment that they ate most of their meals in the Punta Mita restaurant. I now understand why. The food was great. Several people have commented on the coconut shrimp. It was fantastic. I wish it was on the pool bar menu. I would have ordered it every day. When the restaurant was busy, the service could be a bit slow. After a couple days here, I relaxed and wasn't so uptight about not having immediate service. It made for a much more relaxing vacation. Each person working in the restaurant try very hard to provide great service. A special thank you to Carlos for his smile and positive attitude. There is netting around the outside of the restaurant to keep out the birds but it did not detract from the view. The other Palladium resorts should adopt this practice. Breakfast in the restaurant was great, delicious food and a wonderful view of the ocean. I did notice small fruit flies around the salad bar even though the fruit had plastic cases surround it. These cases weren't very sturdy. The salads in the salad bar had no covers on them but really need them since this is basically an outside restaurant with free access by insects. We stayed at the RIU Palace in Cabo San Lucas which also had an outside restaurant but their salad bar was completely enclosed and had sliding doors to access the food. I would strongly recommend that the resort get some similar cases to protect the food. Also, I would like more than just lettuce for the salad bar. Some of the pre-made salads, pasta, tuna etc. could be eliminated. We are big vegetable eaters, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes etc. would be great. Along with a bigger dressing choice. We did go to the buffet at lunch one day and did find a better salad bar but it was still missing basics like cucumbers, bell peppers and tomatoes. We also made reservations for viva Mexico. The food was very good and the service amazing. The guacamole that is made table side was incredible. We enjoyed the food so much, we went back again. The view from the patio is beautiful. The evening got a bit cool after the sun went down, I brought a sweater and was comfortable. Order the Spanish coffee for a great table-side show. We also tried Bambu. The service was great and the food was good. The restaurant is located above the Palladium buffet and has a great view of the resort.

Beach/pool - there is no comparison with Cancun when it comes to the pool and ocean. Although the beach itself isn’t anywhere near as good as Cancun, Punta Mita has the best location hands down with very easy access to the pool, restaurant and your room. There are plenty of lounge chairs around the pool and near the ocean. However, the resort was so crowded the first few days we were there, we noticed the 'towel game' was in high gear. Fortunately, I go to the gym early in the morning so I was able to get a nice seat by the beach. The pool is heated which was great, the pools in Cancun are very cold. There are towels to use at the pool bar on the counter. There is also a container at the bottom of the stairs leading to building 5 for the used towels. I did notice quite a few people would leave the pool area and just leave their towels on the lounge chair. This is OK if you plan on returning however, for the most part, the towels were just left and other people did not use these chairs as they thought they were being used. During the week, we had a great time watching the whales. I read a review that suggested bringing binoculars and I did. It was great watching the whales breach and swim along.

The pool bar is next to the pool and has a full bar and great menu for lunch and/or snacks. Several people mention in reviews how good the club sandwich is. They are so right. Delicious!!! We also had the ham and cheese wrap and quesadilla which were both very good. There is a server that will bring you drinks and food at the pool and beach area. During our stay Antonio Morales was there to take our food and drink orders. He was absolutely wonderful and several days just brought us drinks without us even ordering them. I must say Antonio was one of my favorite parts of this trip, so friendly and sweet. He told us he was moving up to work the royal lobby bar. When you are there, I would absolutely stop by and visit with Antonio. He told me he makes the best Spanish coffee. I wish we stayed longer so we could have tried it. Next year...

Another person we met at the pool bar who was exceptionally helpful was Alba. We met her on our last evening at the resort. We sat down at a table for cocktails before dinner and she came up right away to wipe down the table. She was the first person to do this the entire time we were there. We spent some time talking with Alba and found out she is currently in the Management training program with the Palladium. She is exactly the type of person the resort needs running the operation. She goes out of her way to ensure each guest is happy and has what they need. In the management program, she works all areas of the resort. I got the impression from Alba that she is willing to do any job necessary to make your stay memorable. She asked us if we had any suggestions for improvements and listened intently to our thoughts.

Shows - we went to a few of the shows while at the resort. Though they need to be modernized, we were very impressed with the dancers. They perform 6 days per week, each show different. The dance steps they remember weekly are impressive. They have high energy and as mentioned before, come out after the shows to mingle with the guests and dance. I will mention one of the bands that performed after the time Machine show. They were a Rock & Roll band and were one of the best I have seen at any resort. They kept the crowd dancing and having a great time. I would highly recommend seeing this band. We didn't go to the disco, not really our thing and I liked going to the gym early as mentioned prior.

Gym - I would go to the gym on a daily basis to keep my weight under control (lots of food and drinks)! The gym opens at 7:00 a.m. I would usually arrive at 7:30 a.m., sign in, grab a towel and head to the room with the treadmills. The gym has two rooms, one with weights, one with cardio machines (treadmills, bikes, elliptical). They only have two treadmills and always in use first thing in the morning. The gym rule indicates you should only use a piece of equipment for 30 minutes at a time to ensure everyone gets a chance. I noticed a lady that used the treadmill every single morning for 1/2 hour, then when she hit 30 minutes reset the treadmill. On these days, I would use the elliptical until she was done. Usually by 8:45 a.m. I was just about the only person in the gym. They do have a staff member in the gym if you need any help.

Departure - unfortunately, after 8 days, we had to leave and go back to LA. I was sad to leave but just kept repeating "we have to leave so we can come back". Check out time is 12:00 and you can make arrangements for a late departure if needed. Our ride was picking us up at 1:00 p.m. so we took the luggage to the lobby (you can call for the bell boy if you want) and went back to the pool bar for a quick sandwich before leaving. I was tempted to have one more ice cream cone before we left, but I was stuffed. Don't miss the self serve ice cream machine in the Punta Mita restaurant, very enjoyable on a warm day in the afternoon. Also don't forget to try a mimosa made with fresh orange juice in the morning…great way to start the day!

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this resort. Yes, there are some things that could be improved. However, if you want a nice relaxing vacation with great service and good food, go to the Punta Mita resort. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are on the quiet/jungle side.
5 Thank oakprk
AnaMCastro, General Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Oakprk
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Royal Suites Punta de Mita. It was a very extensive report and that helps us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation.
In regards to our staff, thank you for your positive comments about them. There are a very hard workers here and I want you to know I will pass your kind words to them in order our staff knows their work is recognize by our guests. I will talk with Alba regards she is doing a really good job.
In regards your suggestions, thank you for them. There are some things like cover our buffet with sliding doors that fortunately we are doing right now. we start with our snack bar in Palladium side and we will work in Punta de Mita as son as we finish in Palladium. Thats helps us to keep flies away... we will take note too about your suggestions regards our food and beverages offer and we will look to offer more variety in our salads.
We look forward to see you again and thank you for sharing your experience in Royal Suites Punta de Mita.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Suites from Feb. 7th - 14th 2014 and had a great time. The Resort is clean and pleasant. The infinity pool is heated which we really liked as the ocean isn't our thing. All the staff are courteous and the very large room was cleaned impeccably each day. We both loved the "pillow menu" which allows you to choose just the right pillow for each of you. The wet bar is also stocked to your liking each day. We recommend that you visit the spa and gym as they were very nice but a bit pricey.
The best part though by far is the food and service at the restaurant. Under the watchful eye of Alfredo, the hardest working man in Mexico who runs the restaurant with the pride of an owner you get to enjoy beautiful sunsets and whale watching while enjoying the daily menu of delicious fair. This restaurant has the best food and service we've ever had at a resort and this alone is worth the stay.
Please appreciate that this resort has an older crowd. There is not much going on here after dark but plenty of nightlife options at the Palladium next door. You are more likely to hear Phantom of the Opera or Michael Bubble by the pool during the day than anything else. Also, at 39 years old we were the youngest couple there which was fine by us as we wanted a quiet getaway and got it.
We would recommend this resort to friends and family alike. Forget the haters, this is a good pick.

2 Thank James M
Dear James M
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.
I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us in your visit to Royal Suites Punta de Mita.
If you plan to visit us on the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will personally take care of your booking, to ensure you have a perfect stay.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The start of my review on the Royal Suites Punta de Mita. We stayed here three years ago and the resort has changed little in that time, a bit more dated around the edges but nothing of concern.The Royal side offers a degree away from the regular zoo with its own pool, restaurant and two bars. some of the other perks are wifi, pre booking of the a la cartes and room service after that "too long" day.

It is broken into two buildings of three floors with 15 rooms per floor, the views aren't spectacular from most with you seeing either the jungle of the rest of the resort. The even number rooms face the jungle side and you are less likely to hear the disco or show noises at night that the odd number rooms which face that way. They are a bit past their prime but well kept up and an an excellent maid service keeps everything clean and spotless. Hot water was abundant, but I did hear few complaints to the contrary, air conditioning and fridge all worked well.

Food is good at all the restaurants, four a la cartes, a beach BBQ and one buffet.We did most of our eating at the Royal restaurant which has a different menu every day but did manage to get in all the others with our favourite being Portofino. Late night snacks are available at the Sports bar and run from burgers to hot dogs to pizza and as a concession to the majority of the resort being Canadian, poutine.

There are 7 or 8 bars scattered throughout the resort and will offer what ever you require. Try and stop by Hemmingways and ask Giovani for a China White They all operate with different schedules and the majority open by 11:00 with the exception of Hemmingways at 6:00 at night. Drink strengths vary by bartender but a "poco mas" or a "poco menos" will get you whatever you want. House wines are a bit on the questionable side though.

A single gift store limits your shopping choices and be aware the ATM on the resort dispenses US dollars that you will in turn need to get exchanged. The rate at the hotel is 10 to 1 for dollars to pesos and is a bit excessive when you can get 12 to 1 in town. The resort is about half an hour from anything but this can be part of the charm of it. A simple 20 peso bus ride(you pick it up right outside on the highway) will take you into Bucarias which is 25 minutes south. Bucarias will offer you banks, ATM's and the obligatory vendors.If necessary there is a Walmart just south of town. For 26 pesos you can get into PV from the resort and have everything you need. The bus will drop you at the big Galeria mall if you want to go downtown, look for any bus labeled as Centro as they will take you to the Malecon. A tip, do not take ones showing the word tunnel as well as centro, they will drop you on the other side of downtown and will require a walk back to the main areas.

I would rate the resort at about a three star level but service for value are great. Will we come back again - definitely.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Tomsterca2011
Dear Tomsterca2011
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your return stay with us. I appreciate the time that you took to write your comments about your stay in Royal Suites Punta de Mita. I will take note about your good comments about our personal service too and let them know!!. I know our staff service is one of the best qualities that our hotel has.
I hope that you decide to spend your next holiday with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email.
Best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Our week at the Royal Suites Feb. 9-16, 2014 was our fourth stay and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The best part was the service. We were so warmly welcomed and the staff made every effort to do all they could for us. The Suites restaurant offered a great selection that was different every night and everything we ordered tasted so delicious! Our room had a great king-sized bed and was spacious and cleaned every day. They even had an ipod player in the room so we could listen to our music before dinner. The resort is spread out with lots of hills and stairs, but after all the fabulous food, it was really good to get the exercise. We were pleasantly surprised by the caliber of entertainment in the evenings. It was much improved over other years and the dancers worked tirelessly practicing for hours all day and then putting on the show at night. Hemmingway's is a great little lounge that offers premium spirits and a terrific bar tender. Had stuffed crab at the Mexican Restaurant overlooking the ocean at sunset. The Bambu offered great sushi and Chinese dishes. Portofino is such a lovely room overlooking the main pool and the Italian food was great. The guests were very friendly and respectful with no obnoxious or rowdy drunks making fools of themselves. One thing, though, the pool chairs get claimed very early in the morning...good thing we're early risers. We are already looking forward to our fifth visit to this great resort!

Room Tip: It's a long walk to the pool and restaurant if you're in the first building and on the top f...
2 Thank jbroverman
Dear jbroverman
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. I am indeed thrilled you enjoyed your visit and found our staff to be friendly and hospitable. I will surely share your comments with the team.
Fairview, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

In our opinion the Royal Suites were just what we wanted as this is our second year visting here. Last year was just a poke in the dark as we had never travelled in 34 years anywhere & found the resort fantastic thus this year on our return we found alot of improvements done & still being made to be a better resort. The food & drinks were presented very well & the staff remembered us from the year previous maybe not by name but knew who we were which we thought was great.The planting of bushes in corradiors was a nice change & the disco for the younger set was good but a little loud for seniors as was not there last year. The other side which is family oriented was not for us as we are seniors, & while on a lesiure vacation we did not want alot of noise from children or sports or excercises taking place; needless to say we found out alot of what happens away from the Royal Suites by others & couples coming to upgrade to this side: which included the La Cartes' not very good & the restaurant food was terriable plus the entertainment was are the loud side. ON the Royal suite side there is No entertainment which we think that maybe a person or persons play some quiet music or requests from the earlier days that one could partiicipate.The whale watching from this side is exquiste from either the private restaurant or the infinity pool which is a bit wrmer than the lower pool, with the three showers avaliable to rinse off from either pool as well as the beach lower part with the cabanas & loungers. The set up of the bath tubs we don't think should be an issue but Canadians do have in most cases the tub, part of the shower vanity toilet set up in one closed area, having it all in the open is a different style as we think. We think with the the resort being old they have done well with trying to maintain the up keep as we even saw the workers replacing the roof on the theatre which again is on the other side of the Royal suites & they have a different show every night which is great. The spa is beautiful but again not centrally located & quite a walk for seniors to walk up hill to. The zoo with all the different animals thanks to the Gov. is fantastic. The waiters were excellent as if something was not on the menu you could ask for it & they would do their best to fullfit it & if one was sick & was not there for a meal they asked if something were needed to take back with you & they would walk you back to your suite with it. They all try hard to make your stay enjoyable as the chamber-maids did their job with expertise as well. The making of different animals out of towels & wash cloths were done exquistely, she even tried making Canadian animals for ones pleasure, this was a nice touch to the setting of the rooms which we thought we cosey & kept cool when returning from the hot sun. Your frig was stocked with what you drank from water , pop to booze. The t.v. programs could be updated a bit more like a sports channel & English programing. We would return in a moments notice if we could, as stated all waiters,bartenders & staff were very very helfpul & tried pleasing one beyond ones' expectations. The people were mostly from the East to West coast of Canada & others from other parts of the world. Gordon & Lynne from Alberta Canada

Room Tip: check the Royal Suites site online as shows the rooms as they are
2 Thank gordon s
Dear Gordon and Lynne
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your last vacation with us. It is true that the hotel was built several years ago, nevertheless, we are working every day in order to maintain as well as we can all our installations and services. For us it is important that the hotel has good installations and services to offer to our guest in order they can enjoyed their vacations.We are continuously working in order to keep our guest expectations high and the comments that we receive from them help us to know if we are on the right path.
I hope that you decide to spend your next vacation with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email
Stonewall, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is an outstanding ecological resort, and the setting and staff are outstanding. Rodrigo C. greeted us and checked in during our stay to ensure we were happy; Alfredo and all of the staff at the ocean front a la carte provide five star service and the food this trip was even better than usual as a chef was visiting from Spain. The rooms are beautifully appointed and clean, and there is even a pillow menu (helpful). The Palladium side of the resort provides all of the activities imaginable, and the night show and dancers are all new and surprisingly good. There were whales off the beach every day and baby turtles born while we were there. If you are looking to hike along the shore and enjoy nature while being pampered, this is the resort for you. The spanish influence from the Palladium chain makes it even more interesting. If you are going for massages, couples massage with Miguel and Conchilu are fabulous, both on the ocean or in the lovely spa. There is a brand new chapel on the resort, perfect for those of us who want to go to Mass or for weddings.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with others, adjoining rooms are available. If you want more quiet, avoid an...
1 Thank sandarc
Dear sandarc
On behalf of the Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium family, thank you for your comments. It is exactly feedback such as yours that assists us in achieving the service excellence that we constantly strive for. In regards to our staff, thank you for your positive comments about them. I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities that we have like repeat guests.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasure experience again.
Best regards,
Comox, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I read so many reviews before arriving at this Resort that I was very curious as to how I would feel about it. I have many good things to say and a few suggestions for the resort. The best thing about this resort for my spouse and I was the service we received. Apparently this varies from what I've just read - but our experience was very positive. Our butler Mauro was very helpful and also Gloria and Karla. They were always asking us if there was anything they could do and wishing us a good day. I have to mention the breakast and lunch staff of the Royal Suites restaurant. What a great group. Alfredo, Hector, Freddy, Carlos and Martin were always cheerful and eager to take care of us. We never wanted for anything. It didn't seem to matter whether you tipped or not - they were always gracious. I'd also like to mention Marcus at the Ribs and More restaurant. Very good waiter. We didn't eat very often at the Palladium side - we decided our food at the Royal Suites was the best. Meals were good - some better than others. Our grouper for lunch one day was fantastic. My rib eye on another evening was excellent. It's too bad though that all the restaurants seem to battle little flies. Our restaurant tried very hard to keep them away with covers and cloths. Yes there are many steps at this resort. If you have any trouble at all with uneven ground or stairs this is not the place for you. I fell once because I didn't see the step - no transition color painted on the edge of this step - and missed it. Fortunately only banged my knees. Our room was tastefully decorated , comfortable and clean. I had sent an e-mail two weeks before arrival asking to be in building 5 with a view of the trees and on the even numbered side. I got what I asked for. From previous reviews I knew that an ocean view room would not be possible without paying an upgrade for a Master suite. Didn't feel we needed it. The view from our lounge chairs all day long was fantastic - whales jumping - boats going by - beautiful. All you could ask for. This resort is on the side of a hill so you are going up and down constantly. Helps burn off those calores! But watch your step.
Each day I looked forward to the fantastic music and dance shows in the evening. They were excellent. Ali and Isidro were terrific as well as the other dancers. Their director and choreographer has done a very good job. All of the dancers always came out after the show to greet the guests and do some dancing. A live band always followed the show. These were the best shows I have ever seen in all our trips to Mexico. My husband agrees. It was a great ending to each day. Julio who was the MC on most of the nights also directed activities during the day at the Family side of the sort. I was very impressed by his dedication to his job. It was very busy on the Palladium side so we didn't wander over there too much. Julio as well as other staff obviously cares very much about the resort and called it "a slice of heaven". When you look out at the ocean and the beauty you have to agree. This place is about an hour from PV and about 15 minutes from Bucerias. We took the local bus to Bucerias one day and had a great time strolling around the town. Lovely. Local bus was fun to take.
People at the resort told us that they were very happy with excursions offered such as Rhythmns of the Night and the snorkelling and whale watching. The tequila tour was popular. We didn't do these ourselves but many others said good things about them.
Moises our beach waiter was a very nice fellow who took care of us most of the days we were there. All the staff we dealt with on the Royal Suites side were very good.
Management - if you are reading this - it would be very nice if you could designate an area by the pool as Non Smoking. There were many many people smoking the first week we were there. There is no area at all outside where you cannot smoke. Hard for people who have problems with that. Smoking was not allowed in the restaurant though or in the theater.
There is a protected sea turtle nest on the beach in front of the Royal Suites. I had the experience of a life time - got to help release baby sea turtles one day. 91 of them had been born earlier in the day and at 5 p.m. several of us helped with the release. Very moving.
We had a great two weeks. This is a nice resort - we felt we got our money's worth. There are things that I would change i.e. the stairs, , add some non smoking areas, too much lime in the guacamole. But then a lady beside me loved it. Our favorite food at the Bambu was the tempanyaki. Delicious.
I'm glad we went but next time I think we will try a place closer to PV. A huge thank you to all the staff that made it a great two weeks!

Room Tip: Building No. 5 on the 3rd floor facing the trees - those are the even numbered rooms. You'll be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IslandBevA
Alejandro C, Manager at The Royal Suites Punta de Mita, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Beberley O,
I would like to thank you for your comments and for giving us your feedback of your stay at our Resort. I was very pleased to read all comments you had for us and also I will pass your nice remarks to the people you mentioned in your review (Mauro, Gloria, Karla, Alfredo, Hector…).
We will take note about your comments about specify a Non Smoking area at the pool. We are seriously thinking about it and we will find a solution for sure.
As I told you before, we will check your suggestions in order to improve our services day to day and if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please let me know.
Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to The Royal Suites Punta de Mita? Share your experiences!