Mision Grand Valle de Bravo
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Valle de Bravo
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Its too bad that our experience was so bad because the place is beautiful and has great potential. We were freezing during our entire stay. The heater didnt work in our cabin and the first night we asked them to come fix it but they never did. When they finally repaired it two or tree times it still didnt work. We had to use a fire to keep warm which was quaint but it cost 20 bucks for a small bundle of wood that lasted about 2 hours and the room filled with smoke. We tried to utilize the beautiful spa treatment with a salt bath jacuzzi that had an amazing overlook of the water fall but the "hot" tub was barely warmer than the outside air, we were cold the entire time. The service in the spa was not good either. We tried to utilize the other hot tubs and pools on the property and none of them were warm. We asked if they could heat them up but nobody seemed to know who to contact. There was total confusion of who was in charge of what and the manager was "out of town". Someone finally "heated up" the hot tub but it was about as warm as the spa jacuzzi, just enough not to shiver. When we tried to get warm by going inside the main part of the hotel we realized that nothing was heated, not the restaurant, not the lobby, nothing. We sat in our parkas in the restaurant and ate while shivering. There also seemed to be complete confusion about how to even get from one part of the hotel to another, certain elevators didnt work, certain stairs were closed, and no one knew which way to go. We got different directions from everybody and ended up just walking in circles with the staff being of little help. Furthermore, it was quite expensive.

In the end it is sad to report that this was such a bad experience as the grounds and hotel are truly beautiful. If they could just find a way to make the place warm, turn the heat on in the hot tubs and pool, and get some leadership in the staff, the place would be amazing.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djh121212

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Searching for hotels in Valle de Bravo was a little difficult when I first started my hunt. Most of the properties I found online were way beyond my budget and their photos of the hotels didn't even look that great. The only one I DID know of, El Sanctuario, I had heard not-so-great-things. I stumbled upon Mision Refugio through twitter, where they offer a 15% discount for mentioning social media- SCORE!

Making reservations was seamless, everyone I was put in contact with was both nice, and prompt.

Upon arrival to the hotel, I was impressed with the location. It was close enough to Valle to not be 'too far' yet secluded to feel that you weren't in the city. The whole property is gated with surveillance and guards, big plus. They know who is coming and leaving. There is on-site parking but it was pretty tight. The parking and the navigation in and out via car is something I did not like (really narrow, steep, and confusing paths).

Checking in, they already had my name and reservation ready. We checked in to room 201, and had AMAZING views of the waterfall. We wandered the property, a beautiful foyer with artificial bonfire really set the ambiance. It was in view of the waterfall and infront of the bar. We wandered some more and found a patio with sofa beds. It seemed to have been a sushi bar, or something, I'm not sure. It was a really nice area and later that night we went to relax there and had the place to ourselves. Very Romantic.

,,,While we didn't eat at the restaurant, it was always full.

Our room was nice. Spacious. Clean. Cozy....and I don't say that about many hotels. The area rugs were a nice touch to my cold feet, and many other of the fine details is really what made this room special from other hotels. There is heat, but no air, and they taught us how to work it, which I thought was really nice. The bedding was DIVINE! I almost didn't wake up the next morning. Also, this was the first hotel I ever stayed at that offered seriously ever toiletry... shaving kit, tooth brush kit, shampoos, creams, etc.. everything. I don't think there is one bad thing I could say about the room.

The grounds, beyond the small parking lot, is quite large. There is the main building that has standard rooms, and around it are little villas, or they call them, chalets. They looked really nice, although I think I would prefer the main building, just to have a view of the waterfall. There seemed to be some chalets with views of the waterfall, but the rest were pushed into the forest or surrounding area. Wandering around, there is a path that leads to the waterfall. It was raining pretty hard so we didn't get a chance to explore, but I really liked that you could do a little nature hike right on the property. Despite being hidden in the forest, everything was pretty clean and clear.

Now the spa...
We were given a tour of the facilities and were immediately blown away with awe. Everything was top notch. From the open waiting room with view of the waterfall, to the meditation rooms, etc.

We had booked the following treatments:
Temazcal- We did the group Temazcal. The spiritual leader was great and you could really feel his energy. Unfortunately, it started to downpour so we rushed through the limpia and the temazcal didn't get steamy at all. I imagine it would have been a great experience though.
Mud Bath- This was a very cool experience. Not much to say, just imagine a really cool mud bath that leaves you skin feeling silky smooth.
Massages- I did a hands, feet, head massage while my partner did a deep tissue. They were fine, nothing spectacular. Details which they lacked would have made it superb (ie, the room was too cold, the music was too loud, candles weren't lit)

In regards to the spa.. The facilities were all amazing (minus the womens dressing room, it was a little small)....The rest of the areas were pure luxury, however, the potential is not being reached due to lack of detail. While the spa staff was extremely friendly and hospitable, I feel they were not very attentive, or experienced. Now it pains me to say anything bad about the staff, because they truly were spectacular....But for example, we were told "Your mud bath is ready"...and while we sat in the waiting room, 20 minutes later someone came out and asked why weren't in the mud bath... well, it was because nobody showed us where it was! They just told us it was ready and left! Or for example, we were supposed to do the vapor shower, something I was really looking forward to do, but after our treatments, no one directed me to the shower, showed me where it was, or how to use it.. so I didn't even get to experience it. Like I said, the spa could be a real '10' if they just paid more attention to details. It was still great, otherwise.

Overall, I would recommend both the hotel, and the spa! -- The location, the grounds, the cleanliness.. It can't be beat.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the waterfall!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica S
MisionA, Manager at Mision Grand Valle de Bravo, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Your comments are valuable to us, because they influence our purpose of having constant improvements in our operations and promote the ideas and suggestions of our guests that are for whom we work, we will look for areas of opportunity and we are glad to know we have guests satisfied that they may consider this Hotel as their own home. Thank you very much for your kind comments. Greetings from Valle de bravo

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a nice hotel between Valle de Bravo and Avandaro.

I booked a standard double room for a Wednesday. They assigned us a room to the left of the corridor in the main building. Those rooms have a window to the parking lot, very few light.

I asked to be moved to a room with a view to the waterfall. The staff was friendly to attend my request. They told us that the room was the same, but that the ones looking to the parking lot were quieter.
The room was indeed the same, but you get more light and a better view. The main window does not open, there's a small "window" for ventilation that you can open and close. True, you can hear the waterfall in the room even with the window closed. That was not a problem for me though.

The room was clean, the bed and linens were good. It had a contemporary decoration, a small LCD TV and a small table with a couple of chairs.

The main attraction of this hotel is the waterfall. You have a great view from the restaurant, lobby, pool area and from the SPA. The SPA is good with a wide menu of services, nice cabins and the relaxation area looking at the waterfall. The food in the restaurant is not very good though, just ok. I think this is one of the weak points of the hotel.

The grounds of the hotel are very nice for a walk, you are in the woods and can walk to the river that follows the waterfall. We with this on the next day. After walking within the grounds the chalets seemed like a better idea, so I asked to see one; it felt much more cozy than the rooms and they have a terrace. There are three set of chalet blocks, the 200 numbered chalets are close to the main building where the reception and all the services are. The 300 chalets are a little further, on the top. The 400 chalets are within the woods, closer to the river. You don't get to see the waterfall from either of the chalets, but you get a nice view to the woods or the property in general.

This was my first time in Valle and I haven't stayed in the other more expensive hotels in the region, but this hotel gives a good value, if I go back I would definately book a chalet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank viajer0mx
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Most Valle de Bravo hotels have remained stuck in the no-frills/rustic type of accomodation that was expected when Valle de Bravo started developing in the 1970's. However, I have yet to experience a true world-class mountain-style resort in the area.

The Mision Refugio del Salto occupies a very large property next to the main road between Valle de Bravo proper and Avandaro. The property does not overlook the lake nor does it have a scenic mountain view. The only scenic highlight is a nice waterfall on the entrance side of the hotel, which can be too noisy at times, but which is certainly a welcome view, especially when having breakfast or lunch on the restaurant terrace.

Upon arrival, you enter a tight internal road that takes you around the several cabaña-style rooms and to the reception area, which hosts the main lobby, restaurant, pool and spa.

Check-in was uneventful and proper training was clearly noticeable with the reception staff, although not with the bellboy and fireplace staff, who where less polished and probably too "raw" in their service.

The rooms could be the highlight of this hotel (and of the entire Valle de Bravo) if certain key issues were addressed. First, the size. The standard rooms are quiet large for a Valle de Bravo room, essentially the size of small Manhattan apartments, boasting a small bedroom with king-size bed and an adjacent living room / breakfast room with fireplace and outdoor terrace plus a medium-size bathroom with shower (no tub).

The bedroom and living room have flat-screen televisions (with no in-demand/movie system, but only local cable).

What the rooms are missing are cozier appointments. The potential for the rooms to really shine would be for the owners to emulate a true luxury mountain resort, using more wood, warm mats, better lighting and wall-art. This place could really benefit from a well travelled interior designer. At almost US$300 per night, this hotel could easily recover investments and increase the nightly rate slightly.

Another big oversight is proper heating, especially in the bedroom and bathroom. Yes, I know this is Valle de Bravo, but it does get very cold here! Who likes loosing sleep from being too cold (only a small bed comforter is provided) or showering in almost freezing temperatures (why not a small heater in the bathroom as well as floor mats?...

The outdoor terrace could have great potential if only appointed properly.

The last improvements would be a minibar in the room, an iPod compatible sound system (even love-hotels have them nowadays) and proper sound isolation in doors to adjacent rooms.

Although I did not use the spa, other guests in my group did and their comments were all bad.

DO NOT get a room next to the road, which is VERY busy and you will have trouble sleeping with that many cars and buses passing by all the time.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room next to the road, which is VERY busy and you will have trouble sleeping with that...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ultraplur
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed several nights in this beautiful hotel. Rooms and amenities are all new, with modern design. The big waterfall in front of the hotel is a amazing. You can see and hear it from virtually every spot in the hotel!

Staff, food and service are superb! Prices a very reasonable.

I would definitly return next time I visit Valle de Bravo!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Beautiful hotel, nice view; unfortunatelly not a good SPA service!. Not for meetings or conventions. Could be for a weekend at Valle de Bravo, be sure your heater works! At night it is cold.

Before you take a shower be sure there is water in your room.

Room Tip: They have a building with regular rooms, they are ok! not too cold and the space is ok. Also have...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent a weekend in Valle with a few friends. We booked three rooms in the Mision Refugio del Salto hotel for one night. We paid 100% in advance which is necessary if you do booking online. When we arrived it was clear that they gave our rooms to someone else and claimed to have no rooms available in the hotel. We spent a very long time arguing with the people at the reception desk, asking for an accomodation option similar or better than the one we paid for but it seemed that the hotel didn´t think there was any problem at all and kept offering us cabañas which had a lower rate than what we paid. We ended up staying in 2 cabañas and one of them had one bathroom which we needed to share and was very close to the main road so was quite noisy. The hotel ended up compensating us with a free breakfast and dinner.
Just to add something else to the experience the waitor gave us a wrong price for the wine and ended up charging us double for it. We didn´t pay for that but it was just another unpleasant situation.
Overall the hotel is pretty and located in a nice spot. I just wish the service was better!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends