Mexican Home Cooking School of Puebla Cuisine and B&B
  • Pool
Zurbaran Hotel(Tlaxcala)
BestDay.com
  • Room Service
All reviewscasa carmelitamexican home cookingthe kitchenlunch and dinnercooking schoolevery morningthe main housesoupsmolesgreat foodlearning experiencestone cottagewell taken carefive daysbeer and winetalavera potteryprivate patio
Reviewed August 16, 2013

A very beautiful spot...a bit isolated but if it's relaxation you want, this is it! Jon, Estella and Maria were the epitome of gracious hosts and their home was welcoming and inspiring...especially for cooking, eating and drinking. If you're a pet lover, you'll be greeted by the furry friends...all the pets like attention which was fine by me. The food was amazing...all different types. I would highly recommend this spot. And the weather was perfect...sunny in the morning, not too hot, then thundershowers in the evening cooling the weather and giving us plenty of time to read and relax. I would come again...no hesitation at all even though I did have altitude sickness. Our accommodations were particularly comfortable and clean. No complaints whatsoever. Take the opportunity to learn hands-on cooking, enjoy the company and the venue.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A friend and I spent July 14-20 at Casa Carmelita cooking with Estela and Jon and relaxing in our beautiful casita. Our days began with a delicious breakfast served by Maria on the patio (the fresh squeezed orange juice is to die for) - different every day (Tamales, Chilaquiles verdes, quesadillas, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit and muffins). Then on to the cooking classes, starting with a chili lesson. Every day we made a soup, 2 main courses and at least 3 other dishes. Everything was delicious and I finally know the difference between dough for tortillas and dough for tamales. Lunch was the soup and one of the main courses and a choice of wine, beer or margaritas. We called the margaritas '3 hour margaritas' because if you drank one at lunch you went to sleep for 3 hours. The afternoons were ours to explore Tlaxcala or to relax on our private patio. We went into Tlaxcala several times to check out the beautiful colonial architecture and to buy extra bottles of wine for our evenings, Jamaica flowers, cajeta and drugs that are not available in Canada, etc. We caused quite a sensation in the supermarket because we were the only obvious tourists but everyone was very kind. The local art museum even refused to let us pay. The remainder of the afternoons we napped and read our books. It was truly relaxing - just what I needed. Our casita came with a private patio and a gorgeous view of the volcano la Malinche. We always left the door to the patio open so that the dogs and cat could visit us. Jon also took us to the closest small town one morning so that I could stock up on dried chilis to take home. The produce was so fresh and I wanted everything. July is the rainy season which was just perfect for us, not too hot and not too cold. Around 20-23 degrees. The rain is amazing - thunder and lightening - not only the windows shook, but so did the ground. Coming from Vancouver where it rains lightly for weeks on end, I felt like I was listening to fireworks. We got caught in a terrific storm one afternoon and Jon lit the fireplace in our casita so we could dry out. We spent 4 days in Mexico City before Casa Carmelita and 3 days afterwards. Jon arranged for our driver to pick us up at our hotel in Mexico City and for us to be dropped off at our friend's place on the way back. It was a great trip. I'm looking forward to making everything on my own. Thank you Estela and Jon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had an amazing experience at Casa Carmelita!!! Especially as a non-Spanish speaking single individual traveling to a country, Jon and Estela have everything taken care of. I was looking for a trip that was somewhat structured that still gave me some freedom and this was it!!! The casa is beautiful, comfortable and well-maintained - and the views are breath taking! Our days included cooking, lounging and site seeing time, balancing everything into vacation perfection. I found the days pleasantly relaxing, informative and flexible. Following our house-prepared breakfast, we'd pend the next couple hours cooking, the afternoon was free, and dinner was served mid evening. At some point in the morning, we were able to tell Jon how we were interested in spending our afternoon and at the end of lunch there was a taxi waiting to take us to our desired location - and stayed with us!

Everything that we made was absolutely delicious - and I have been able to feasibly replicate the recipes for friends and family! If you're looking for run-of-the-mill Mexican food, you might not find it, but you certainly will not be disappointed. They did say that a number of the dishes were better suited for special occasions and holidays, but there are also more common recipes so it's a good mix. All the necessary culinary instruction is provided and accommodates any level of cooking experience. They're also accommodating if you have selective tastes or avoid a certain type of meat.

I love that I got both the experience of seeing parts of Mexico and that I was able to bring the recipes back home so I will always have something more from my vacation than simply pictures and memories. I was going through my pictures and recipes recently and it brought back so many great memories! Casa Carmelita is a must-go destination and I would LOVE to go back!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I am a cook. I am a senior citizen with some limiting medical conditions. I have always wanted to travel in Mexico. My dream came true in my week with Estela and Jon at Casa Carmelita in beautiful Tlaxcala. Thanks to their advise and travel tips and their patient instruction I gained a real understanding of ingredients and techniques of Pueblan cuisine, while at the same time feeling an immersion in the culture of Puebla and Tlaxcala, Mexico. The other guests at the house during my week there provided an additional element of pleasure. Since returning home I have recreated many of the dishes I learned to cook and all have had high reviews from my guests. I highly recommend this adventure and would not hesitate to experience it again.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Jon and Estela were fabulous hosts who treated us like their favorite family members come for a visit. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and cozy.

Morning were spent enjoying breakfast on the patio and every afternoon we spent talking, laughing and cooking!! in the big, bright, beautiful Mexican cocina.

Estela was instructional and made cooking fun and easy. Next step, con Jon!! Jon was also fun, yet serious about identifying the importance of certain minor details that we may not have noticed. Recipes were clear and easy to follow. We learned about specific methods to follow and mexican specialities were noted in our daily recipe book. Aprons, cutting board and sharp knives were always clean and ready for use when we walked in the door.

Lunches were so satisfying as we tasted out master pieces, always wondering how it came out so perfect and tasty when it was so easy and fun! There was so much food we could hardly finish our dinners each night, as three amazing meals a day is a lot more than I normally eat. But the fantastic margaritas helped spark the appetite.

Tlaxcala itself was a nice friendly town and the tour from Jon was an interesting history of the town new and old. This was my first trip to Mexico's interior and while its a small town and not a tourist hot spot it really helped me understand a little more about the real life in Mexico. People were nice and friendly and simply enjoying life.

Our day trip to Puebla was wonderful, we could have easily stayed longer. It was an amazing mix of Mexican and Spanish culture. The zocolo was beautiful with people spilling out of cafes all around it.

The transfer from Mexico City was perfect and we were accommodated easily from a location outside of the airport. (Mexico City was amazing as well, but that's a whole other story!)

I would go back to la casa de Jon and Estela anytime. Thank you!!

• Stayed: April 2013