“Charming and colorful comida”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tlaxcala
Mexican Home Cooking School and B&B
Ranked #1 of 7 Tlaxcala B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I spent a wonderful week in the company of a diverse group of travellers (all interested in cooking and food) and with Jon, Estela, and Maria. The course focused on dishes that take time, and it also gave more time for Jon and Estela to give their views on amor or recount other humourous stories. They were also nice enough to include some requests for specific dishes or ingredients. Your clothes do smell like you’ve been cooking so later on in the week I learned to change after the morning classes. But what really made this experience memorable were a surprise birthday cake and the live music, and for that I do give gracias to the B&B and my fellow guests. I stayed in the casita, which is the stone cottage set off from the main house. As previous reviewers have mentioned, each room is nicely decorated, and I personally liked the blending scents of the orchids from the numerous bouquets and the coffee from the coffee maker. With the casita, it was nice to have a private spot to have a morning coffee (and sometimes have the inquisitive dogs and cat of the property visit) or to sit under the stars at night. The area is safe, and getting to the cities of Puebla, Tlaxcala, or other historical sites is easy with Jon’s assistance and with the friendly taxi drivers the B&B uses. It was a fantastic, relaxing, real experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank vansensei2001

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Jon, Estela and Maria made this a wonderful and relaxing vacation and learning experience. It was kind of like summer camp in that we met some wonderful people we never would have come into contact with under other circumstances, and we all came together for a common cause: delicious food! Breakfast was served under a canopy outdoors, and so was the lovely lunch we made in the morning. Dinner was indoors (also what we prepared in the morning) since it was a bit chilly by that time. We learned how to make traditional Pueblan dishes like pipian, mole, and chiles en nogada, and Jon and Estela prepared all the recipes for us in a take-away book along with our "diploma." They were charming, helpful, kind, enthusiastic and attentive to individual guest needs and interests. Jon arranged taxis and guides for us when we expressed interest in seeing local sights. We felt safe everywhere we went. And our room was absolutely lovely - tastefully furnished, spacious, comfortable, and with an on-demand water heater which saves resources. We had a king-size bed, separate sitting room with a domed and lighted space, plenty of electrical outlets, and attached but separate bathroom. Jon, Estela and Maria place fresh flowers everywhere - in our room alone, there were four huge bouquets. We cannot say enough nice things about our vacation/learning experience/summer camp and thank Jon, Estela and Maria for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: There are rooms set aside for couples and for singles. All are beautiful and unique.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarikaPennsylvania
Reviewed December 13, 2011

This home and guest house are set in the country side of the Puebla area of Mexico. Very safe in this area. The cooking experience will last you a lifetime, but you can come back again for more experience! This is the area where the beautiful Mexican pottery is made and there are hot springs nearby to visit for another day or two of relaxing. The food is incredible and the price is very reasonable. Mexican food is not hard to prepare and the taste is extraordinary. I would say the price for this experience is undervalued. You get so much more than just cooking tips. Take the cooking class here instead of going to Europe!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Anneliese M
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Mexican Home Cooking is far more than a B & B. It's a great vacation, and a true learning experience. Each day started with a delicious breakfast, then we learned to cook many Mexican dishes, which we then enjoyed for lunch and dinner. Our meals were some of the best Mexican meals we have enjoyed.
My husband and I went to Tlaxcala with two friends. The four of us were the only students, which is typical. One of us had little cooking experience and isn't sure she will make the great dishes. But she enjoyed the 3 to 3 1/2 hour class as much as those of us with more cooking experience. Estela and Jon, with great assistance from Maria, were excellent hosts and gifted teachers.
Tlaxcala is a beautiful city, and we enjoyed sightseeing in the afternoons.
Our rooms were large, comfortable and pleasantly decorated in traditional Mexican style. We particularly enjoyed drinks and dining in the garden. Wine, beer, and margaritas were included in the total cost.
We all agreed this was one of the best vacations we had enjoyed.
By the way, this part of Mexico, near Puebla, is peaceful and tranquil and very safe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank BRH11
Reviewed August 2, 2011

1. The Classes. So well organized that any of the drudgery of cooking seemed not to exist. Because Estela, Jon, and Maria had prepared so well, we were able to cook many more dishes than should have been possible in the allotted hours, without feeling rushed. Classes were tailored to my skill level as a cook and as a Spanish-speaker. All the classic dishes and techniques of Poblano cooking were covered and some surprises, too. It was fun. Oh, and the food was delicious.

2. The Accommodations. The house and my room were lovely and full of plants and fresh flowers, the landscape was beautiful, the pre-breakfast coffee was well-appreciated, and Jon set a fire in the fireplace in the evenings.

3. The Area. Although I've traveled a good bit in Mexico, this was my first trip to the Puebla/Tlaxcala area. I found both towns charming--friendly and sophisticated--and my trips to nearby ruins and to a church shaped like a ship were well worth the trouble. Jon was always ready with suggestions, information, and taxi arrangements.

Jon, Estela, and Maria did everything they could to make sure I had a good time and I certainly did. I count them as friends now and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank krankygirl
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I'll add my glowing review to the others. Estela and Jon do a wonderful job with the five-day cooking class, and create a warm and welcoming experience. The food is terrific, the atmosphere relaxing. Good views of the volcanos from the front lawn. The location is rather remote -- you can't really go anywhere on foot, and Tlaxcala itself is about 20 minutes by car. After class and lunch, there are some great opportunities for afternoon trips - Cholula, Puebla, some nearby ruins (with amazingly preserved paintings) and a very enjoyable hacienda tour. My only (minor) criticism is that the two regular taxi drivers they use can be somewhat grumpy.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank Apple66
Reviewed April 13, 2010

What a great vacation. We started each day with an excellent breakfast, learned to cook many excellent dishes, enjoyed the fruits of our labor at lunch time and then had the afternoons free to lounge around or go on day trips to the nearby towns, mountains or anchient ruins (I don't recommend the hot springs excursion!). Then in the evening relax with a drink or two as you enjoy more items you cooked earlier in the day for dinner. The hosts are friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. I would definately go back here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends