“Good to Go”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Tlaxcala
San Diego, California
“Good to Go”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

This is good hotel and a good value for what you pay. The first room to which I was assigned had an overpowering aroma of the cleaning products that had been used. I asked for a different room and was immediately accommodated. Both the first and second rooms were large and well equipped and the bed was comfortable. The first room had A/C the 2nd one didn't, but it did have floor to ceiling french doors that opened out into the pool courtyard making it rather pleasant. Mexico is not a quiet country and hotels often can be noisy. That is not the case here. The Posada San Francisco was pretty quiet, and if that's a concern, be sure to request a room towards the back of the hotel further away from the street.

Several previous reviews mentioned concerns about the water. I brushed my teeth using tap water and suffered no ill effects. I also made no particular effort to clamp my mouth shut when showering and, again, suffered no ill effects. Most hotels catering to tourists - and the Posada San Francisco *is* a tourist hotel - do have some kind of basic water filtration system in place. I also had no problems whatsoever with things disappearing from my room, or bogus charges on my bill.

The Posada San Francisco is centrally located on the Zocalo. It is an easy walk to many museums and other sites as well as the cafes under the portales for a quick bite or drink. The bar at the hotel is very cozy, the drinks cold, well made and well priced. For breakfast go out the front door, turn right and 2 or 3 doors down is a great little cafe (with a sidewalk patio) with an espresso machine and pretty good food.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We arrived without a reservation. It may be important to know why. I could not locate the hotel on the Internet, but it was January, a low season, and I decided to take a chance. Possibly, the reason I could not find it was that I did not know "posada" was in the name. I had walked into the hotel previously and knew that it was where I wanted to stay, although I was concerned about the price because of other reviews on here.

Two reasons I wanted to stay there: 1) It is beautiful. 2) One walks out the door onto the main square, which can be important with limited time.

Now that I have stayed, the quality and service are additional reasons to go. To an extent, I regret being there in January when it was too cold to use the beautiful pool or, for us, to eat in the restaurant, especially for breakfast. We had no ski outfits or parkas to wear to breakfast, as others did. This problem, at least in January, extends to restaurant interior spaces and to the bar, all of which are open to the outside. At the afternoon time for the main meal, we were always somewhere else (and lost no quality).

My quess is that the food in Hotel Posada San Francisco is very good, on a level with its accommodations. There is no coffee maker in the room, so you either need to put on all your clothes and go to their restaurant or take a short walk to other great places. We chose the latter, with excellent results.

Lest I make you believe that Tlaxcala is too cold in January, I should say that it approaches hot in the afternoon, as do many places in Mexico. Plan for two seasons a day, and dress accordingly.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Los angeles
Reviewed May 19, 2008

This was my second visit to the Hotel Posada San Francisco.
My first stay, 6 years ago was wonderful. Great location. Decent Service and nice quiet rooms.

Sadly, Tlaxcala Centro has been invaded by the late night discoteque....2 of which are within the same city block as the hotel..so pack your ear plugs, because the thump of disco-bass is loud and goes on late into the night.
After you've finally fallen asleep in the wee hours of the morning..
just wait, at 4;30 AM, every morning (we were there for 3 mornings), a man comes to clean the pool and surrounding patio...nothing like the sound of tools scraping cement in the pre-dawn hours..one wonders why the pool area needs to be scraped at the hour...given that ALL of the hotel rooms face out on the pool area...this is an inconvenience shared by all guests...
The next noise surprise is that the hotels sound system, which encompasses the pool patio area starts up @ 7:00 AM -the last morning began with a loud Elton John singing "Rocket Man" Not the best wake up after a mostly sleepless night..
-the second night I had to ask the "less than helpful" woman at the front desk to turn the music down. It was 11:00 pm, and I really had heard enough Bruce Springsteen for my Mexican Vacation.

.the rooms do NOT have air conditioning, and the only way to circulate air, is by opening the folkloric "french doors"...which basically makes it impossible to get a decent nights sleep (see noise complaints above)...also, since there are no screens on the doors, and there are mosquitos...oh well,

Overall - an overpriced dissapointment. I met with the general manager before departing, and her only reply is that "we can't please our guests 100% of the time", I would have settled for 25% satisfaction.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank elGueroDeLosAngeles

Travelers are raving about these Tlaxcala hotels

Colorado
Reviewed October 27, 2007

This hotel is located in Tlaxcala and I paid around $ 80.00 per night for a single room. The room was mediocre for the price, and the bath tub was dangerous to get into. You could not use tap water to brush your teeth because it was not purified so every day the maid left two bottles of water in the room for brushing your teeth. Water for showering was very hot so I imagine no bacterial problems there. I ate breakfast there which was so-so, but most of the food in Mexico is so-so. I have been to Mexico City, Coyoacan, Taxco and Cuernavaca so I have eaten a lot of Mexican food. I stayed there for three nights and noticed small things disappearing from my room, i,e, a small vial of jasmine oil, my metal nail file and my moisturizer seemed to be evaporating too (I think the maids were using my cosmetics). I told a Mexican friend of the bad review I read about this hotel from TripAdvisor, and she was shocked. I told her that one review said the hotel charged for things that one did not consume. Short story...when I checked out my hotel bill was nothing but room charge. I think she told them what I said. Anyway, I made sure to pay cash for everything so as not to experience the same problem of unauthorized charges. This hotel is over-priced. I heard good things about Hotel Alifer, but never went there myself.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — Price and maids stealing stuff from my room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank meggray
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We recently stayed one night at the Posada San Francisco and enjoyed it very much. It is located on the zócalo and is in a beautiful colonial building. It was very quiet. The room was small, but nice and clean. The hotel was expensive compared to other places we stayed. The breakfast was good and the bar looked nice. The staff was friendly and were more than willing to help me arrange a trip out to see the ruins at Cacaxtla. They made some calls and found out the site had been closed due to landslide, but were able to suggest some other things to see. The only real problems that I saw was that there was no fresh water containers, like you see in many places and that it was so quiet that I was woken several time during the night by a dog barking somewhere outside the hotel. But that's not really the hotel fault. All in all I would stay here again. By the way Tlaxcala is wonderful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Cacahuetes
NoLocationZ
Reviewed July 5, 2005

This small stone hotel is located on town square in Taxacala, Mexico. The pleasant interior patio is worh peeking into. And, if you are tired, it is doubtful very much harm could be done to a drink. However, the appearance is deceptive. Exercise caution in ordering food that is mediocre and overpriced. And, expect the hostile managemnt to follow its motto "the customer is never right" to inflate your bill.

13 Thank NoNameZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tlaxcala
Hotel Posada La Casona de Cortes
Hotel Jeroc's Plaza
Hotel Jeroc's Plaza
#11 of 16 in Tlaxcala
Mision Grand Ex-Hacienda de Chautla
Mision Grand Ex-Hacienda de Chau...
#1 of 1 in San Lucas el Grande
Hotel De La Loma
Hotel De La Loma
#7 of 16 in Tlaxcala

Been to Hotel Posada San Francisco? Share your experiences!