“The worst hotel in Mexico”

Hacienda Vista Hermosa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tequesquitengo
Houston
“The worst hotel in Mexico”
Reviewed September 24, 2008

My family and I made reservations for a full week at this hotel but we could not stay for more than three nights. The rooms are very old and smelly. I don’t know how they could be a five star hotel. The service is terrible and slow. Everything is expensive but I honestly think they have to charge that much to prevent the hotel from collapsing. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cigarreradeplata

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Rafael, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I was here for my cousin's wedding, and was very impressed. This Hacienda, which was once the property of Cortez himself, is a beautiful, authentic hacienda. Its high ceilings, antique furnishings, and attention to detail are very impressive. The pool was heavenly- large, blue, cool, and accented by the stone aquaduct pillars in the middle and stone fountains. The grounds are large, and meandering paths take you through an impeccably groomed tropical garden. Peacocks roam freely, and the sound of birds is all around you as hundreds of blooms cascade from every angle. There are stables and a bullring (as far as I know, now used for horse shows), and a pond on the grounds as well.

I recommend getting a double room, since it costs the same as a single. I had a single, which was charming and lovely, but my parents were in one of the doubles on the second story of the main building, and it was spectacular- MASSIVE rooms, furnished almost like a house with antique Mexican furniture, and shuttered doors that opened out onto the gardens. All the rooms seem to have dressing rooms/large walk-in closets with seats, which is nice, to keep your clothing and luggage out of sight.

As for the bad- The hotel was very hard for us to find, and it really is an oasis- the neighborhood you will drive through to get there is run down. When you get to the high gates of the hacienda, however, a guard will let you in to drive down a long, tree flanked lane to the hacienda. You would never know what lay outside the walls (which is a good or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it). One other caveat- if you are a light sleeper, beware that the birds wake very early. I found it charming and was able to sleep through it just fine, but if you really are bothered by bird-song early in the morning, bring earplugs.

• Liked — Pool, tropical grounds, rooms
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank SanRafaelChick
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My husband and us stay at that hotel. for a weekend. We wanted to relax ourselves. My husband choosed that hotel thinking it would be a wonderful experience. He bought a package that included two kind of meals. The place is very nice, but the rooms are absolutely not from a five star hotel. The service is very bad. When we wanted to take one of the meals, they told us that because we arrived late we lost the right to have that meal. They were not flexible, that meal was a buffet meal. It did´nt represented for the hotel an extra cost. They are not customer oriented and it is expensive.
Making the check out was very slow and most of the customers were complaining because they were charging extra costs. It is a shame that this very nice hotel doesn´t have the quality of a five star hotel they say it has. I don´t recommend it.

• Liked — the swimming pool
  • Disliked — the service and the rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caroflores
The Cotswolds, England
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I am in my late teens and stayed here with a group of 25 from my college. Of the three hotels we stayed in this was by far the best. I don't think I have ever been anywhere so beautiful in my life - both the grounds and buildings were stunning, and the pool was simply divine!

The rooms were quite dark (they seem to have gone for a candlelight effect) but highly atmospheric. The old furniture and rustic elements of the place were wonderful - although my friend and I were a little spooked at night! We loved the fact that the estate was founded by Cortez... and waking up to the sound of peacocks cawing was lovely.

The staff spoke little English (but why should we expect them to?!) yet were very charming and helpful, and we still managed to order drinks, etc. The food was also of a high standard, the only negativity being that vegetarians don't really exist in Mexico and so my main course was a humongous plate of green salad!

A truly magical place that people of any age will appreciate. Ignore the bad reviews and trust me: go there!

• Liked — A beautiful historical setting.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2007
2 Thank hamlets_widow
Coatzacoalcos, Mexico
Reviewed November 5, 2006

my family and i, just returned from the Hacienda San Jose de Vista Hermosa where we stayed for two nights while attending a wedding .
when we made reservations several months ago we were told this Hotel was rated five stars
we arrived after getting lost several hours trying to find the town and the hotel and the reception personnel were taking a long time to give the rooms and were asking for i. d. to all guest and making photocopies of them for some reason .
some rooms the nice ones were in the hacienda and some other in the back yard where employees used to live so the rooms were very poorly equipped and very far from the main building at night time it was very dark to walk to the rooms
only five rooms had a/c and no face towels were available , no t.v. and satellite , bare floors and curtains were extremely simple and old the room really looked like a storage basement so we really never wanted to go there .
the hacienda has beautiful gardens and a large pool , the main building its very impressing and the restaurant its really impressing at night time it was very dark but nicely arranged for dinner with candles and nice plates .
food was quite simple and service extremely slow , it was very expensive to eat there .
i think the place its really impressing but it definitely need a lot of invesment and its really not suitable as a hotel
the reception personnel were the worst i have ever came to ,every time they answered the phone they said people had not been registered in the hotel but i had just met them there since the first night we arrived , i called to find out a friends room number and i also was told she was not registered (they even had a copy of her i.d. )..
the hotel connecting pads are extremely rustic and in bad conditions and ladies in fancy hills had a terrible time walking on them and many ruined their fancy shoes and dresses .
if we ever have to come to an event in this place we will make sure not to stay in this hotel over night

• Liked — pool and gardens in historic building
  • Disliked — rooms and bathrrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go there
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank TonyCardenas
Houston
Reviewed May 18, 2005

My wife and I recently returned from a weekend trip to Tequesquitengo for a friend's wedding. The grounds and most of the buildings of the "Hacienda Vista Hermosa" range from the stunning to utilitarian. Since it was mid-May, the surrounding small town and countryside were parched and dusty. The hacienda compound was, by contrast, a lush, welcoming oasis.
Most of the hotel staff speak little to no conversational English. The rooms have no air-conditioning and many have an odd odor from some sort of fumigating agent (most likely for the endemic scorpions).
The rooms I saw were rustically, yet comfortably, appointed. We were fortunate to have a good deal of cross ventilation from the large windows in our room. But, being May, it was still difficult to fall asleep at night in the area's oppressive heat. Bring earplugs to stifle the early morning calls of the roaming peacocks and the cacophony from the birds nesting in the numerous trees. The wide array of birds are fascinating to observe during daytime walks around the compound but absolutely deafening in the early morning hours.
The restaurant is fantastic. Don't skip the Mexican coffee and ask for Angel's station. He's been there for 50+ years and is the personification of charming. The wait staff is attentive and professional overall.
We'd stay there again if we were to return to that part of Mexico in the future. Be prepared to pay $100 for a cab from Mexico City. Or, up to $180 for a larger "shuttle service" (usually a Suburban seating 8 passengers). It's more economical to split the cost of a shuttle service if you are travelling with more than one person, and the Suburbans are more comfortable for the 2 1/2 hour ride from Mexico City's airport. If you rent a car all I can say is, "Good luck!". The roads to the hacienda are poorly marked and available maps do not adequately denote all of the necessary turns/ splits.
An unusually charming, funky, historic, perplexing place. Go when the weather is cooler. You won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2005
10 Thank whilton
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Our entire family of 7 has stayed at this hotel in March 2005 and it was absolutely excellent. I can not agree at all with the reviewer who wrote about it being terrible and bugs in his bed - it is now March 2005 and I would recommend anyone to go there. It's lovely.

The whole hacienda is serviced by enthousiastic friendly people, the gardens, the buildings and the rooms are in excellent condition, but you do need to appreciate that this is an original 15th century hacienda restored in the 20th century, so don't expect 21st century style bathrooms. It has lots of charm and it is absolutely clean, safe and welcoming, and comfortable.

We have stayed here before in 1997 and several years after that as well and we have always found it a special place.
The pool is wonderful, and so is the restaurant and the service. Very good.

When you are in tequesquitengo, visit also the ultralight flying airfield/school, operated by a french and dutch couple, who can take you on an ultralight ride over the lake and surrounding area.

We will recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank ILV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tequesquitengo
Hotel Villa Bejar and Spa Tequesquitengo
Hacienda San Gabriel de las Palmas
Hotel La Tierra Prometida
Hotel La Tierra Prometida
#3 of 3 in Xochitepec

Been to Hacienda Vista Hermosa? Share your experiences!