Hotel Refugio Del Angel(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
$36
$35
  • Restaurant
Gran Hotel(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
$46
$60
$51
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Posada De Don Vasco(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
$48
TripAdvisor
Mision Patzcuaro Centro Historico(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
Eco-hotel Ixhi(Patzcuaro)
Porton Del Cielo(Patzcuaro)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscommunal kitchenwood burning fireplacelarge bathroombeautiful courtyardplazadeskflowersmarket
Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

This family owned and run Meson (B&B) in Patzcuaro is a treasure. We have stayed there twice on the recommendation of a friend who has been there dozens of times in as many years.
This converted old home has about 6 rentable rooms. Be forewarned that heat is a fireplace and it takes quite a while for hot water to arrive to your showerhead, but for the price (Approx $38 a night) it's fabulous. Patzcuaro is about 5000 feet and COLD in the winter so bring your woolies.

The staff don't do a lot to orient guests, so Ask. There is a kitchen available for guests to use and coffee and sweetbread are available each morning. Across the street is a very tiny corner grocery store where I was thrilled to buy bananas and yogurt each evening which gave us a more than adequate breakfast. Last year when I was there and feeling sick, I pretty much lived on kefer from that store.

The rooms are arranged around a central garden with plenty of benches for enjoying the morning sun or watching birds flit through the trees. The dogs in the back area can be a bit raucous and one night some of the guests were very cheerfully noisy until about 10 pm, but otherwise this hotel is blessedly quiet.

The Meson is located up a gentle hill 4 blocks from the main plaza. We (in our mid sixties) comfortably walked back and forth a couple times a day. It is a long block from the Basilica de Nuestra Señora de la Salud and church bells ring several times a day.

The family is friendly and helpful. They live to one side and you just ring a bell to summon them. They arranged taxis for us (and verified prices) to several out of town sites and both years we actually took taxis they recommended all the way to Morelia (about $40 US).

I am not sure if they take online reservations, I have always just called and made arrangements by phone.

Patzcuaro is a great town. This year we arrived while the plaza was being decorated for Christmas and we caught a couple nights of festivities. Hanging out in the plaza people watching is a favorite activity and the Meson was a great place to come home to at night.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed November 15, 2016

This is a a small family owned hotel currently with 6 rooms. Through the years, we have felt quite comfortable with the family members and have always appreciated the location, the facility and how it fit our needs. There have been "issues" with partners and health of the ownership but things were more ship shape than when we last visited in September of 2015. We were concerned going into this most reent visit for Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) having made reservations a year in advance. Upon check in, we immediately saw the improvements.

The rehab of the street and parking area out front was just being completed on Oct 28th and was an obvious improvement. Our greatest surprise was that the street out front (Benigno Serrato) was "floral centro" for the cut flower vendors catering to Dia de los Muertos. What an unreal sight!

Room Tip: Our favorite is #15
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 324neilc
Reviewed April 15, 2016

This is the first time I stayed at a Hotel in Patzcuaro as I have family there and I always stayed with them, however, this time I booked the hotel for 5 nights. When we got there, the hotel was closed, I wasn't sure I was in the correct place, but finally I found the ring and a lady open the door. She said we would be the only guests in the hotel for that night. The Hotel is a big hacienda house, she gave me the key for room 7, 3 double beds, fireplace and big bathroom. The room was very cold, but there were enough blankets. Internet did not work very well in the room, we had very little signal, so I would suggest you to get a room closer to the front desk to get better signal. The room was dark even with the lights on, as the only window is facing the back of the room. In the morning, they offer coffee and sweet rolls every day, this was a nice touch, my kids loved the sweet rolls. We were visiting family all day, so we did not spend a lot of time in the hotel. Crossing the street is the Basilica and it is walking distance to the main Plaza. Yes, I would stay here again, the price I paid was worth it.

Room Tip: For a better WiFi signal get a room close to the front desk.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2015

I went there with my sister and stayed in room #7. It has 3 double beds, a fireplace and a nice bathroom.
The rooms are decorated with traditional wood furniture.
You can use the fireplace (if you can light it!) and you are free to use the kitchen as well.
The owners were very friendly and helpful.
It is located near the Basílica and you can walk to downtown very easily.
Even if the nigths are cold, they provide extra wool blankets.

Room Tip: Stayed in room #7. It faced the garden and it is very quiet. 3 double beds.
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2015

For us, a perfect quiet location on the hill near the Basillica that allows us to walk to a number of the better restaurants and shopping areas. While we will admit that there are hotels with more amenities and features. this has always been a favorite and we just cannot bail out on these wonderful owners and staff members!

They have recently added the El Mandil Restaurant but we didn't try it becuase it didn't fit our activity schedule. Reports are positive and the $60MXN price for breakfast buffet or comida is certainly reasonable!

Room Tip: Our favorite is #15