“Wonderful, quiet, elegant, small B&B with incredible service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Patzcuaro
El Refugio en Patzcuaro
Ranked #8 of 30 Patzcuaro B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, NM USA
“Wonderful, quiet, elegant, small B&B with incredible service”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Originally, we booked a room for three nights, but ended up staying almost a week. Martín the manager was attentive, kind and the most considerate of hosts. Each morning we were served a sumptuous Mexican breakfast, with fresh juices, papaya with yogurt and granola, a different main course each morning (e.g., chicken filled tacitos with mole), followed by homemade muffins. Needless to say, we did not need to eat lunch. Each evening we would come home to find that Martín had laid a fire in the fireplace in our room. I think the cost ($1,100 M or about $85 USD) was a bargain. I recommend this wonderful place with high praise.

Room Tip: There are at least 3 "Refugios" in Patzcuaro; make sure you book at "El Refugio en Pa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fredericksburg,Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I am sorry to have to write this review but I find it is something travelers should be aware of with this place-- it is absolutely a beautiful place -- but the manager Martin Ortegon is very flaky and absolutely not a reliable character-- I know him and have stayed here several times -- recently I made reservations for a month stay in one of the apartments-- he assured me it would be waiting for me when I arrived -- 3 days later I receive a email saying he has my space rented out for 2 weeks of the time I was suppose to be there-- what happens is -- a large party wants to slide in and pay per person more money and he dumps you off and takes the money-- without any respect that he has put you out at a time it is impossible to find lodging-- he is not trust worthy -- it is ashame because he is a nice man but without integrity

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed at El Refugio before and it continues to be very special. I treasure it

The library is a great place to unwind and the folk art is very special

We were there for day of the dead.

I will be back

Room Tip: I love the fireplace
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
cuernavaca mexico
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just wonderful! Thanks to Martin, the manager, and all the little details we had a great time in Patzcuaro. The rooms are each unique and special. Very comfortable and enjoyable. Will for sure return. Don't miss this delightful place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Spain
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Martin; the Manager actually met me at Patzcauro Bus Station which did take the stress off having to haggle with a taxi driver over the fare to the Hotel..
I stayed at the El Refugio for 4 nights. A beautiful room with comfy bed and bed warmer. The bathroom has all the toiletries,lovely thick cotton towels and cotton bathrobes. Everything works, i.e. lights and the Wi-Fi. I slept very well and the surrounding is quiet and peaceful.
Now for the Creme de le Creme of my stay ! Breakfast cooked daily by Orphelia, was an amazing treat. Fresh fruit smoothies, fresh fruit, bread or muffins( to die for baked by Orphelia), yoghurt, muesli, a main dish of Mexican fare(varies each day) and followed by coffee.
The Manager; Martin is very knowledgeable with; where to go , what to see and how to get to it, All you need to do is just ask. By the way, he also speaks English.
He looks serious when you first meet him but after that, you will find that he has a great sense of humour and is good company. He is there if you need him but is not intrusive !!!
Personally, I feel that, It is the people that makes a place endearing and enjoyable.. I have enjoyed my 4 days stay immensely and will be sad to leave
To Martin, I say, " thank you so much for a wonderful stay filled with warmth, fun and laughter."
To Orphelia I say, " muchisimo gracias por su gran alimento y sonrisa encantadora.y su muffins."

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank peik1
mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This property should not be listed under B & B's, as I reserved 3 rooms for our group for Day of the Dead in November (7 people) and the property manager, Martin informed me today that the Casita, where a family of 3 would be staying has been rented for 1 year and we can no longer stay there. I am in the tourism industry and this is not a good or accepted business practice, to take a reservation & confirm it...then to inform the client that someone else is renting it. They should be listed under Properties for Rent (not B & B's). Now I have to find a place for my group. Very bad business practice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This I believe is the best place I have stayed in and I have traveled alot ! , an incredible atmosphere , Martin was so kind making sure everything was perfect for me , orphlia's breakfasts incredible y muffins !! it's enchanting a home from home stuffed with Mexican artefacts , the salon is liking sitting in a museum very Cosy , roaring fire places ! I will be returning to this incredible spot for sure ! central Americas best kept secret ! Or the world !

• Stayed February 2012