“Very nice old Mexican style B&B, excellent location 1 block from the zocalo (main square)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Patzcuaro
Hotel Casa Encantada
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Patzcuaro
Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel is lovely with a beautiful garden and decent rooms (although quite musty). The staff were very nice, especially Chela and the woman who is in charge at night (I've forgotten her name) and the two chefs (who allowed us to use the kitchen to prepare the kids meals). And it was a nice touch to offer a couple of bottles of wine with the room.

There is no water pressure and it is difficult to shower, but to be expected in an old hotel in a small town in Mexico. Also, they would benefit from updating the map on their website. We had to stop and ask twice as all of the storefronts look the same and names of the streets are confusing.
Breakfast was decent, always an egg dish, frijoles (beans) and local sweet breads and fruits (along with tea and very good coffee). I overheard people asking for eggs made a special way and they accommodated when they could.

Keep in mind, there are not a lot of decent restaurants in the area. Check out tripadvisor's restaurant list. IVOS pizza was our favourite... just a little hole in the wall, but the best pizza I've had in North America. The rest were mediocre at best and couldn't seem to handle any changes. Not to mention poor service... but that's another post.

We might go back without kids or at a quieter time (we were there for Dia de los Muertos, which was a bit crazy). It wasn't the ideal place for young kids (I got the feeling they were not used to having them stay at the hotel), but the other guests were mostly retired couples or young couples and they were very considerate, along with Victoria, the owner, and Luis.

Room Tip: If you have more than 2 people in your party, you will likely be upstairs. We were in the Treehouse...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
TORREON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Last june, on my vacation, I had planned a visit to the city of Pátzcuaro, so I did a reservation at the Hotel Casa Encantada a month before and fully paid in advance.
After sending several e-mails to the manager of the hotel in order to request information and to confirm and assure my reservation, I was ready to stay at this Hotel. We were suposed to stay at La Casa Encantada from sunday june 16 until tuesday june 18, but when we arrived to the hotel on sunday night, nobody was there to open up the door nor to receive us.
After more than a half hour of being insisting outside the Hotel with the doorbell and knocking the door and the car horn, I simply realize that nobody would answer. I also did a phone call but the machine answered me.
Imagine the scene, sunday night, between 10:00-10:30, the streets alone, my family waiting inside the car, tired from the travel and very dissapointed because we could not have access to the Hotel that I had already paid; very sad and bad experience.
I really wanted to stay at La Casa Encantada because apparently it is a nice Hotel, but I will never know it.
I must say that at the end, the manager refund me my money but he was not able to give me an apologize personally.
This are just the facts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ricardo_Murillo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Hotel Casa Encantada was extremely easy to deal with... Victoria Ryan is the lady of the house and she was excellent! Unfortunately, I had to cancel my reservation. But, when this happened Victoria and I were able to arrange my refund immediately and there were no additional kinks in the process! Victoria always answered my emails quickly and with clear, thoughtful information. I definitely plan on visiting Hotel Casa Encantada in the future! Thank you, Gretchen Bright

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gretchen B
Middleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Friends and I enjoyed our visit to Casa Encantada recently. Spent two nights in very comfortable rooms with good beds, well equipped and large bathrooms, delicious and generous breakfasts, friendly and welcoming staff. The owner, Victoria, is delightful and very knowledgeable about the area. We all enjoyed a glass of wine together and made friends with her wonderful doggie! Very pet friendly. The gardens are lovely, with lots of places to relax privately. Very comfortable! Great central location, and quiet. We will return, and next visit, spend more time there. Thanks for a delightful time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sherry F
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in La Casa Encantada during our visit to Patzcuaro. The hotel was lovely with inner court yards, and a lovely breakfast and restaurant for dinner. The only disconcerting thing we found was that our room, though lushly decorated, had no windows. I plan to return to Patzcuaro again, and will likely stay at La Casa, but I will be sure to check that I am able to stay in a room with windows... otherwise, I will choose another hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tansyliverwort
Mazatlan Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I recently finished a short visit to Patzcuaro. While there, we stayed at La Casa Encantada. We travel the USA & Mexico pretty extensively and must say that this hotel/B & B rank right up at the top of our favorite places to stay.
The inn keeper/owner, Victoria Ryan, is one of the best hosts we’ve ever experienced. She has a talent for staying the background and not being intrusive. However, if you engage her in conversation, she is a delightful and enthusiastic raconteur on a whole range of subjects, not the least of which is Patzcuaro.
We were initially attracted to La Casa Encantada not only by the host of positive reviews, but also by the fact that Victoria runs a pet friendly establishment. We travel with a cat and medium sized dog. It isn’t always a given that you will find pet friendly high quality accommodations in every city you visit. She is happy to allow your pets to roam the beautifully landscaped patio as long as you are present and your pets don’t bother the other guests.
We spent two nights in the San Francisco Suite. It was comfortably furnished with a king size bed, sitting area, small kitchen and large bathroom. There is a second large bed in a loft area above the main bedroom. The suite is beautifully appointed. Many original pieces of art work done by Victoria adorn the walls, some of which include images of dogs and cats. The best part is she manages to pull off the dog/cat themes in her art without it being corny or cloying.
La Casa Encantada is staffed by smiling, helpful men and women. Luis helps Victoria manage the hotel. His English is impeccable and he is a complete gentleman. The hotel is located a block off the main Plaza Vasco de Quiroga in the center of the historic district. This makes for easy access to the restaurants around the Plaza. Morning, noon or night, the Plaza itself is a wonderful place for a “paseo” and people watching.
I highly recommend La Casa Encantada. Victoria Ryan has created a jewel of a hotel in the heart of Patzcuaro. It is well worth a stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank William A
brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

our two-night weekend stay in the beautiful city of patzcuaro was made even better by this choice of inn---the whole place is tastefully and whimsically decorated with a collection of folk art and paintings. though located a half-block or so from the main square, it's quite peaceful. the owner made us feel like her personal guests, and even provided a birthday cake and a bottle of bubbly! the "colonial" room we stayed in had lovely high ceilings, talavera tilework and a gas fireplace.

Room Tip: rooms on the street may hear car traffic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple