“Awful”

Description: Bruno's Steakhouse EST. 1985
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Went there yesterday for lunch. No one in the front part of the restaurant to greet us--sitting in the back smoking under the no-smoking sign. No other customers which should have clued us in. Used the washroom and it was terrible--the toilet seat was not joined to the toilet and had a good look at the kitchen. Ugh. The food arrived and I couldn't eat my enchalada--the tortilla was soggy and mushy. My husband's french dip bread was also wet and had so much meat in it, it promptly fell apart. Really awful.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Feds294201

Vancouver, Canada
“Very satisfying restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Bruno's is the only restaurant in Ajijic that I have come across of any quality that has organized ts menu to to do a few things very well. There are few 'appetizers' per se, and a limited set of mains that almost all come with the same (very good) sides: currently baked potato, roasted corn, battered veg. They therefore can concentrate hard on their main courses, which they do very well indeed.

This is a meat place, really. There are a few other options, but come here for excellent value, well prepared carne. Others have mentioned two specialties: their one pound "baseball filet" and their ribs. The filet is perhaps a little bit more tough than absolutely ideal, but it always perfectly prepared. The ribs are as good as it gets.

A few other places can do steaks well (Ninette's, Club Go, and of course Ajijic Tango), but if most in your party are out for meat Bruno's is the place to go.

• Visited November 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Great Baseball Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I've been down here in Ajijic for the past 3 months and have been enjoying their plethora of fine restaurants. Bruno's is on the list as one of the better meals we have enjoyed. We've been there 3 times in 3 months and have had a great time every time. They serve a baseball sized fillet that is cooked on an open fire grill. How they are able to get it done right each time amazes me, but the outside is beautifully brazed and the inside cooked to order. I like mine pink, and it has been wonderful each time. Service has always been very good and we've enjoyed it very much. If you are looking for a great steak, good service and prices that are very good, then try Bruno's, you won't be sorry.

• Visited September 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A Revived Old Standby of Ours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Starting in the late 90's, we always used to have dinner at Bruno's at least once or twice when visiting Lake Chapala. Our last visit was probably 2005 and then the restaurant went into irregular hours and opening days due to the health of the owner. Apparently, he recently found a younger couple to run the place for him. We ordered their "Baseball Filet" and it was still as great a cut of beef as we remembered from the past! A very large tender steak served with baked potato and corn on the cob for $120MX Pesos or approximately $10USD at the current exchange rate. A great place for a nice casual dinner.

• Visited August 2011
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Excellent Steakhouse in Ajijic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have visited Brunos for more than 15 years and have never been disappointed. I live in Guadalajara (40 mins from Ajijic) and I can say that none of its 50 or more steakhouses competes with Brunos. I have taken my family to the fancy restaurants in NY (Peter Lugers, etc.) and Mexico city and we all agree that Brunos is at the same level! The "baseball"steak is
delicious, the ribs are also very good. They serve it with a fresh salad, a superb potato and a tasty corn. All for 130 pesos! 10 us dollars! The best Restaurant in Ajijic by far! My only reservation is the decor, but recently they are woking on it! Also, the staff is very friendly!

1 Thank Sarnita