“Great Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adobe Walls Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ajijic
Adobe Walls Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Reston, Virginia
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a wonderful B&B in a wonderful town! I stayed at Adobe Walls Inn for five nights in early March. My arrival was delayed by a day, because of an east coast snow storm, and the owners, Kimberly and Don, couldn't have been nicer in accommodating my revised schedule.

They bought the place from the direct descendant of the original owner who arrived in Mexico in Spanish colonial times. The house is documented to be at least 160 years old, so the house had been in her family at least that long (maybe longer). It has been beautifully modernized by Don and Kimberly, but the old charm has been carefully nurtured and accentuated in the rooms, common areas, patios and landscaping.

Adobe Walls Inn has a fantastic location--easy walking distance to the town center of Ajijic, but on a very quiet residential street, and only a block from the shores of Lake Chapala. Even though Ajijic is firmly ensconced in the middle of one of the largest expatriate retirement communities in the world, to me, it still retains a real Mexican quaintness and authenticity. Also, there are lots of wonderful small shops and great, reasonably priced restaurrants. I found most everything to be reasonably priced. A good example: I popped into an internet cafe one day when I was near the town plaza. Thirty minutes of good speed internet cost me 5 pesos (about 40 cents)!!! Yes, really!!!

My room (#3) was very pleasant--super-comfortable bed, excellent quality linens, large wardrobe, very nice, well-provisioned bathroom with a real good shower--and was just off the main patio. The housekeepers were very friendly and very thorough. I just loved the period decorations in the room and throughout the inn, as well as the plantings on the patios. I hope that the photos I've attached give some flavor of the place.

Breakfast is served on an upstairs patio. Lots of breakfast choices each day--fresh fruits, juices, yogurts, cereals, and a different cooked option du jour. More than enough food and very tasty. And family members--including Kimberly and Don's two lovely daughters, along with equally friendly, well-behaved family dogs and cats--were a complete delight to get to know at breakfast time and otherwise. Kimberly's dad and stepmom happened to be visiting while I was there, and truthfully, the whole family made me feel like I was one of them. Don even invited me to tag along with him on shopping trip and offered to take me into the nearby town of Chapala on a Sunday after dropping his inlaws at church. And when I arrived at the inn pretty late in the evening, Kimberly offered me food, including a wonderful lentil salad she had prepared for the family's dinner.

Getting to Ajijic is easy, too. I flew into Guadalajara airport. It's a 25-30 minute taxi ride to the Adobe Walls Inn. Taxis at the airport are price controlled, and there is a conveniently located bank-owned ATM directly adjacent to the dispatcher's office which I used to buy some pesos. Couldn't have been simpler!

I came to Ajijic, because I have friends who spend part of the winter in a nearby condo each year. They have been raving about the area for eons now, and finally I went down to see for myself. I couldn't have had a nicer time...the mid-80s and bright, sunny days with almost non-existent humidity was amazing...but the Adobe Walls Inn and everything about it made my stay even more memorable. I hope to return very soon...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveler20190

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a great place to stay. We felt very comfortable here during our 12 day stay. Originally I was a bit concerned that we booked almost 2 weeks in one place – in the end I was so very happy.

Some of the things that made us so relaxed and happy at Adobe Walls Inn:

- rooms cleaned and well cared for
- common spaces – loved the ambiance – eclectic and delightful attention to detail
- fantastic breakfasts – hearty, healthy, and again that attention to detail – making sure your coffee is just right, your eggs/waffles/ etc are just the way that makes your day start right.
– the innate ability of the proprietors, Kimberley and Don, to respond to your needs/style/mood etc
– they always seemed to strike the right balance of engagement/letting you have your space etc., whether you were there one night or a dozen.

Highly recommended.

Catherine, Lynn, and Kay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn R
Savage, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great location, very close to four very good restaurants and the village square. The B&B has a wealth of old charm with the place decorated in antiques. The rooms are very good with comfortable beds. Don and Kimberly are wonderful hosts who are very helpful and have a lot of information to share. We will definitely will use them again.

Room Tip: All the rooms were very good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim H
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This B&B is strategically located for walking the village, has nice comfortable rooms, is very tastefully decorated and is very fairly priced. The real strength is the wonderful and interesting owners.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GeneJackson
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am a resident of Mexico and not a tourist. This is the 2nd time I have stayed here and I found this stay delightful. Highly recommended for all the right reasons including location, beauty, comfort and cleanliness. Hosts, Kimberly and Don are fantastic and very friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dennis J
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had a pleasant stay with this family. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. Kimberly took my husband to church with her! They even gave us food so we didn't have to go out in the rain to go to a restaurant. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merrilyh
Wallisellen, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

one of the nicest stay i've been so far in all my travelling! the rooms are very tidy, the housekeeper and her family is more than nice and they really care about their guests! the breakfast was perfect. the location is quite central (bars, restaurants) and safe. the lake is 2 minutes away. thank you again for a nice weekend and maybe see you again! ;-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends