“This is my home”

Ranked #4 of 26 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Ajijic, Mexico
“This is my home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

There is no better place to stay or to eat in Ajijic. I live here, have for almost four years, and the Eagers are my dear friends. I cannot say enough good about the hotel, the restaurant, of the owners.
All of us who live here feel the same. My son (from L.A.), my sister (from southern Indiana) both agree with me. This is possibly the best and most comfortable hotel in Mexico, owned by a Canadian/ Mexican family. Try it!!!

Room Tip: I would choose the second floor; all face the lake.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Anita H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tianjin, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I spent two weekends this winter at La Nueva Posada- visiting my mother, who stayed there for 7 weeks. (She opted to stay in pretty Ajijic rather than my city apt. in Guadalajara). We also made many Saturday day trips there and ate in the restaurant several times. Every experience we had was wonderful. My mother grew up in Mexico and speaks Spanish fluently, and therefore came to know the staff very well. The waiters, who have worked there for years, are incredibly sweet, she says.They just take their work very seriously. Moreover, they are dedicated to the owners, the Eager family. Judy Eager and her son Michael were incredibly welcoming to my mother. Their goal is to have happy guests and they are the nicest people. They also let my mother bring her 3 lb. Chihuahua, who is an angel. (They do not allow the dog to be left alone in the room, though, so do not worry about any possible howling). My mother stayed in room 109, which was large and had a pretty sitting area looking over the lake and a part of the garden restaurant. It was lovely. We also really loved the restaurant and the food! I recommend sitting in the garden area; it opens onto a pretty garden with flowers and statuette framed by the lake. My favorite menu item was the filet mignon, but the casual food like the burgers are fantastic as is the fish & chips. The chef makes her own tartar sauce, and the cole slaw is made from Judy's old family recipe. My husband preferred the Panchos- tostadas with a mixture of toppings. I think our favorite part of the whole experience was that the customers are a wonderful blend of extranjeors (foreigners) and Mexicans. The Mexican families go there for nice, long meals. I would consider that a great compliment to the Eager family.
PS We swam in the pool!

Room Tip: Room 109 overlooks the lake and the garden restaurant. My husband liked the rooms overlooking the sm...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ginny46
Dundas, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just finished my third annual month-long stay at La Nueva Posada. I consider it my home away from home in Ajijic. It smaller size (perhaps 20 rooms in main building) give it a boutique inn ambiance. It has the best view of any inn or B&B I've seen in Ajijic proper (no others are directly on the lake) and yet is only a few short blocks from the town centre and its many restaurants, shops and activities. La Nueva Posada is only 20 years old or so but has the feel of a grand old hacienda with lovely statues in the garden and inn, a beautiful wide winding stone staircase, lots of nice local art, etc. The views of Lake Chapala and the mountains ringing the lake and Ajijic are truly wonderful - both sunrises and sunsets can be seen as it faces South. This is all visible from the beautiful garden/patio which is shaded by a huge rubber tree which twinkles with little white lights at night. Almost everyone who visits lingers down by the lake taking photos or visiting the two resident parrots. There is a small pool but not heated.

The lakeside rooms overlook the patio and those on the top floor (300 series) have their own sizable patios overlooking the lake. There is also a pretty roof deck/patio on the top floor with a stunning view of the mountains at the rear of the inn with some lounges and chairs. If weather doesn't work for patio dining, there is a nice dining room inside. Most of the bedrooms are quite large with comfortable beds, large bathrooms, big screen sattelite TV, pleasant local artwork, table & chairs, free WiFi. A large and delicious breakfast is included in the room price. Dining room/patio is open all day every day until 8:00 pm (later on Sat., sometimes with music), with a very broad menu at bargain-basement prices. It's very convenient having such a nice restaurant on site as one on a longer stay doesn't always feel like going elsewhere for dinner. Room service is also cheerfully provided. Check for the daily dinner special which is only 65 pesos (under $5). The tables have proper linen, the waiters dress as they do where there is fine dining. Food portions are large and the quality is good. Service is friendly and good (unless there's a large crowd dining, in which case small things sometimes get overlooked). This is a very popular spot for Mexicans from Guadalajara on the weekends; sometimes there are weddings or other parties in the garden. Many local events actually take place at the Posada. It has a lively atmosphere, not always quiet in the afternoons or early evenings, but it definitely really quiets down by a reasonable evening hour. There are lots of chances to meet others whilst dining or having a drink there. There is good physical hotel security but no personal room safes.

The owner, Michael Eager, or a member of his family are on site every day and they and their staff strive hard to please their guests. The Eagers simply go out of their way to provide extra conveniences/help with things that crop up or with information on tours and things to do. For example, I needed a bottle of wine for a hostess gift. I didn't want to go to the wine store in the rain that night so the owner offered me a bottle from their cellar, to be replaced at my convenience. Now that kind of help is special!

Room Tip: Best choice is on third floor. Second best w/be lakeside rooms on the second floor . Avoid room at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank grobinsongow
San Juan Bautista, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

they usually only rent the villa's for extended stays, we've stayed in the hotel and when we went back on short notice, the hotel was full and after a miserable night in the 2nd best (and utterly disgusting!) hotel in ajijic, we appealed to the owner and he had a villa open and let us rent for a week. either way, beautiful. the views of the lake, listening to the horses on the cobble stones each evening as they're released to graze by the lake, the tropical birds in the open-air section of the restaurant each morning, the orange juice is worth the trip alone!!! fantastic food, great service, above and beyond the call. even referring us to an artist who we commissioned to paint one of the paintings they had hanging in the lobby that my wife just loved. this place made us fall in love with central mexico. it's been a few years, and recent events in mexico have made us leery to return, but we always felt safe here surrounded by real mexican people in the heartland of mexico. the border towns and tourist traps are the dangerous places, i think.

Room Tip: upper floors of the main hotel offer fantastic open views from the verandah, and roof-top balcony...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank laker1rn4
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have just spent the month of February in this charming, wonderful, comfortable and convenient hotel. I think of it more as an Inn with all the perks of feeling like a most welcome friend at this family run property. I had requested a top floor room (3rd floor) and received a corner flooded with light, a beautiful terrace and rewarded with a beautiful view of the lake through the trees. The bathroom was a good size and the hot water was instantaneous and plentiful.
Having a restaurant downstairs was one of the nicest features. When you are spending a month, you do not always feel like going out to dinner. The food was very good, well priced and service was efficient from all the waiters who work there, i would guess for many years.
Breakfast is included in your room price and that was taken most mornings in the beautiful outdoor garden near the lake.
The location is also ideal, as it is convenient to the center of the village, restaurants and shopping, and just 2 blocks from the beautiful malecon.
The Egar family...Judy, Michael and Michael, Jr, in particular, could not do enough for you.
Ajijic is a wonderful place to vacation and when I go back, there is only 1 place I would consider staying, and that is La Nueva Posada.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have balconies overlooking the lake
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank judyd222
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. It is located right on the lake, the rooms are very neat, clean, extremely comfortable, and very spacious. The breakfast which is included in the price was delicious (all the meals are good) and the servers were gracious.
Wi Fi was available in our room which is nice. Security was top notch. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 301 to 305 have a lake view but are a little more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JudyJohnston
Half Moon Bay, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I booked rooms via email here for my husband and myself, and for my three sisters and their husbands who were visiting from the US. They said they had availability so I sent the names and my credit card number. I knew we would be arriving a little late and they hadn't charged my card so I called to verify that we were all set, only to be told in an unhelpful manner that they only had a room for my husband and me. I insisted, using my far from perfect Spanish and she started reading names off to me. She finally found the names of two of my sisters and I figured we were OK. When we arrived at the hotel after a long drive the desk person was very unhelpful, at first dening that we all had reservations. It took a while to find all the names, which were indeed there on the list. Two couples got the beautiful rooms overlooking the lake. Another was in a small inside room across from the gate, and one in a room by the pool with no windows, just sliding glass doors to the pool, When she went back to the desk to ask if she could change, the woman was quite rude, telling her the place was full and asking if she wanted to cancel.

I was lucky enough to have one of the lakeview rooms, which was lovely and had a balcony. The breakfast the next morning was also great, and the public areas are quite nice. It's in a great location, an easy walk to restaurants and galleries. It's sad how one person can ruin the experience, but it was pretty negative for us.

Room Tip: get a lakeview room! I gave the rooms an average because they varied so much.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank blkdye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ajijic
Real de Chapala
#2 of 26 in Ajijic
La Riberena
La Riberena
#2 of 6 in Ajijic

Been to La Nueva Posada? Share your experiences!