Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsher husbandsmall kitchenmid marchfew blocksother guestsstores and restaurantslaundry serviceat homebeautiful courtyardorganic marketalready booked for next yearwithin walking distancesmall hotelcoffee makerguadalajara airportcommon areaslocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I spent 10 days at Ajijic Suites and Elaine and Luis were incredible hosts. Even the emails I received prior my arrival made me feel welcome. The self contained suites were clean ,private,quiet and overlooked the well kept courtyard. , Telephone ,laundry ,Internet and room services were all excellent. Location was perfect as it is away from busy part of town but still close enough to walk with easy access to restaurants , lake walk ect. I will definitely stay there on my next visit and will recommend Ajijic Suites to my friends.

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms that are upstairs that i would recommend
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve B
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write such a kind review, Steve. It was a pleasure having you & Dave to stay & I'm only sorry you were so busy taking care of the Team that you didn't have time to enjoy some of the local sights & sounds. We hope you'll come again & be able to relax & absorb the lovely energy with which Ajijic pulses - as well as the great weather & people! Take care & come back & see us again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This coming January I will once again head south to Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico. Nestled a mile high in the Sierra Madres. National Geographic has determined it is the second-best climate in the world. That’s good enough for me. There I’ll again be staying at my favourite place, Ajijic Suites. It will be my third winter there. There are many reasons why I keep returning.
Ajijic village is conveniently located a twenty-five minute taxi ride from the International Guadalajara airport. Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city, is only a 45-minute drive north of Ajijic and a great place to visit. If you come to visit, be prepared to stay longer.
At Ajijic Suites the bilingual owners, Elaine and Luis, are friendly and helpful. The hotel, with eight units, is clean and charmingly Mexican in décor. It has a lovely inner courtyard with a large fountain, plants and flowers. Unlike other hotels in the area, each suite has a separate bedroom, bathroom, and a comfortable all-purpose room that combines living room and kitchen. The kitchen areas have all the essentials to prepare your own meals – a small refrigerator, sink, microwave, appliances and utensils. This is unusual for Ajijic hotels. There’s laundry and maid service. There’s also free telephone service (Vonnage) to U.S and Canada, cable television and WiFi. Rates are reasonable.
Ajijic Suites is conveniently located, less than a ten-minute walk to the beautiful ‘plaza’ (village square) at the centre of the village. It’s a short three blocks to Lake Chapala, Mexico’s largest lake. The malecon along the lake is wonderful, a great place to walk, jog and meet people, locals and ex-pats. There you have beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains.
Watch the sun set while enjoying a beer at the wonderful Tequila Republic on the pier. Steps further along the shore you’ll get a friendly greeting from Yves, the owner of Yves Restaurant. Here you’ll find excellent food with a great view of Mount Garcia across the lake. You’ll see Vino Blanco the albino donkey that Yves rescued wander on the beach. Have a margarita next door at the Old Posada, where Tennessee Williams played poker and wrote the short story that became his hit play “A Streetcar Named Desire.” This is but a sampling of the many reasonably-priced, clean restaurants and cafes in the village. Of course the wonderful Mexican cuisine reigns but every nationality is represented from Chinese to French to Japanese to Thai.
Colourful murals decorate the walls of this 400-year-old cobblestone village. There are dozens of small art galleries and pottery and craft shops. Ajijic Suites is an easy walk to one of my favourite places, the lovely Lake Chapala Society gardens. There you’ll find a great variety of services, clubs and activities: yoga, Spanish lessons, music, interesting lectures, poetry readings, comfortable patios, snack bar, koi ponds, movies and an English-language library. I tend to hang out there a lot, reading, writing and chatting. You’ll find writers at work there as well. A vibrant writers group meets every two weeks. Ajijic has been a magnet for writers and artists for decades. When you visit this village you’ll understand why.
To get a taste of the fascinating places to visit in the Lakeside area and beyond, check out the excellent blog, Jim and Carole’s Mexico Adventure, by Ajijic resident Jim Cook. Find it at cookjmex.blogspot.com/
So, there are many reasons to visit Ajijic and stay at Ajijic Suites. That’s why so many guests like me return year after year.
John (Canadian)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Wow, John! What a very informative & interesting review! Thanks for taking the trouble to report so extensively on your stay with us, & on the many wonderful places, activities & attractions of Ajijic & its environs. I hope that other intrepid travellers will be inspired by your interesting narrative & follow up on the link to Jim Cook's blog. The thing you didn't mention was the "event of the year in 2014" when filming begins on your movie - Pat y Paco! We're delighted to have been a part of the writer/producer/director's support network in the pre-production stage & excited to see it all coming together next year. It's all happening in Ajijic!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had a great ten days at Ajijic Suites. Elaine and Luis were excellent hosts, always pleasant and a great fund of information about Ajijic and its ways.I'm looking forward to visiting with them again.I won't go on about it because the other 3 reviewers seem to have covered it all . I agree with all that they said.Thanks Elaine and Luis.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thanks for taking the trouble to express your your satisfaction with your stay, Jack. We're delighted that you enjoyed your time here sufficiently to make plans to return, & look forward to seeing you again later in the year!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Elaine and Luis started helping us make our transition from Santa Barbara to Ajijic before we came down 09/15. Elaine promptly replied to every email I sent and offered great tips. Luis picked us up at the airport and never stopped his friendly, smiling assistance for the next 2 weeks. Our little home there at the suites was just perfect....loved having my laundry done. We could walk easily to the center of town and great restaurants. . And, we even enjoyed learning a new game together.....and even shared a Sunday trip for a fun lunch after we left for our lovely new home....which, of course, Luis helped us move into. I hope to stay in touch with them and can tell you how warm and welcoming everyone is in this little slice of paradise!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pat H
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just spent a very pleasant month with Elaine and Luis at Ajijic Suites. My second floor suite was bright, comfortable and well equipped. Elaine is a great source of information on local happenings and services and the hotel is but a short walk from the "heart of Ajijic" shops, restaurants and the town plaza...conveniently located yet just far enough from the "action" to be fairly quiet. Reasonable monthly rates make Ajijic Suites a super value for extended stays.

Room Tip: Second floor suites are bright and airy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thank you, Charles, for taking the time to write this nice review about your stay with us. We were happy to contribute to the process of wooing you away from Medellin & "wowing" you with Ajijic! We know that the opportunity to play lots of tennis was a big contributory factor & are so glad that you found somewhere to fulfil that need. Gracias a Club Nautico in La Floresta!