“A respite for the weary traveler”

Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo
Ranked #5 of 26 Ajijic B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I just had the pleasure of spending the last week at the Ajijic Suites with Elaine and Luis. I felt like I had walked into the arms of my family. Elaine and Luis are amazing proprietors and make one feel like they are truly a part of their family. I stayed in the Azucena suite and felt I had the best suite in the hotel overlooking the courtyard and hearing the lovely sound of the fountain that lulled me to sleep at night. What an amazing experience in the middle of a really charming and amazing village!

Room Tip: Any room at the suites is a winner. They are all roomy and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at Ajijic Suites for the month of March, 2012. All the usual accolades - quiet, clean, close to everything and friendly. We met some great fellow travellers and enjoyed the village so much we have already planned to return. Elaine is a wonderful hostess and Luis never stops working to keep things running perfectly. Most enjoyable place to stay! By all means give Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo a try.

Room Tip: Ask for Magnolia Suite - best views and lots of windows.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan F
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

So glad you enjoyed your stay, Lynda - both with us & here in delightful Ajijic. We look forward to welcoming you back as a permanent resident in August, & wish you luck with all the arrangements to make that move happen. In the light of your challenging workload, we particularly appreciate you taking the time to write this kind review for us. Thank you!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We got Elaines name and number from Peter at The Secret Garden and headed up about three blocks on Hidalgo .Both Luis and Elaine were both in the office when we arrived. We agreed on the length of our stay and Luis had our cases up in the room before we got upstairs.The room was bright,airy and overlooked the fountain in the courtyard. We had the use of the international phone for free( this amenity was worth the price of the first nights stay).The hotel was pretty centrally located, ajacent to restaurants,my dentist,bank,and the baths in San Juan Cosala and no problems with parking.What we liked most about the hotel was the warmth of the owners and their availability to help with every question and to suggest other places that we might visit.What we liked least was that the hotel was on a one way street and we had to go down quite a distance to turn around to reverse direction. We solved this problem on our second day by reversing back 100 feet up the street .....easy.We were sad to leave and can't wait to come back next April to beautiful Ajijic and the Plaza,the Malecon etc, and last but not least Elaine y Luis. Gracias.Patricio.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrogueBoston
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thanks for taking the trouble to write this nice review, Patrick. It's always a pleasure having you & Sandra to stay, with the bonus of the Irish brogue! Hasta el año proximo!

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I initially found Ajijic Suites on an Internet search - the location was perfect and the price was good. And then Elaine (the owner) caled me, and that sealed the deal! Such a personal touch - I knew I would be well taken care of!

I stayed in Azucena, one of the smaller suites, as I am a budget traveler. But this room fit me perfectly. A comfy chair for reading, a t.v. above the wardrobe for evening time, a little kitchette with microwave, hotplate, refrigerator and sink, and a separate bathroom. I even had a great workspace in front of one of the windows, overlooking the mountains. The sunsets were fabulous.

Both Elaine and Luis are fabulous hosts and share their time and their friendship. This doesn't happen in just any B&B or hotel experience. Before the end of my first week, I asked if I could extend my initial 2-week reservation to 4 weeks. And I did!

Trips to the balnearios, hiking, walking the malecon with an Italian gelato, hot chai and brownies from the Secret Garden, circle time at Lake Chapala Society, picnics in Jojotepec, playing Mexican dominoes with dear friends, visiting with Irene in her small tienda, a field trip to Mazamitla, sharing a chocolate muffin at Cafe Grano, crocheting in the street with Tonya, walking the neighborhoods with friends.....and on and on and on....

I now know where I will stay the next time I visit Ajijic, and I also know I have very dear friends waiting for me. Does it get any better than that?

I highly recommend Ajijic Suites Hotel for someone looking for a home away from home, especially when looking for a place to spend a good couple of months - either running away from the cold, the heat, or just running away from home. Or, running into a new adventure, a new way of being, a new way to spend time. Enjoy!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thanks for the lovely review, Barb! It was such a pleasure having you to stay & we hope that when you've got the travel "bug" out of your system, you'll come back & relax with us again. You are the perfect person to encourage "sinful" indulgence in gelatos, caramel frappuchinos & double chocolate brownies! I think my hips can take another visit before the end of the year!!! Abrazos!

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I've just been back a little over a week and I'm missing Ajijic, Mexico and my pink sanctuary called the 'Violeta Suite' already! Initially I arrived as an 'accidental snowbird' as this picturesque village in Jalisco was not on my travel 'radar' but with the help of Tripadvisor I found this gem of a hotel very centrally located right on Hidalgo Street which is about three blocks from the careterra/highway (where you can catch a bus going east or west) and three blocks from Lake Chapala and the Malecon. The owners, Elaine and Luis made me feel immediately at home and I felt very safe in the initially new 'frontier.' Ajijic (which I now know how to pronounce properly) itself is just a wonderful, friendly place that it didn't stay that way for long. Due to the large number of diverse expats (all with fascinating stories to tell) and other snowbirds from the states and Canada like myself I soon made lots of friends and found interesting activities, gallery openings and volunteer opportunities galore. The Lake Chapala Society is a long standing expat organization that has a fantastic weekly schedule including Thursday movie matinees that I thoroughly enjoyed. For a schedule of daily events at the LCS and other local events (and those in Guadalajara a mere 45 minutes North) you can pick up the English newspaper, The Guadalajara Reporter at Dona's Donuts while enjoying excellent coffee and fresh pastries. El Grano in the Plaza was also a terrific place (with wifi) to enjoy freshly ground and brewed Mexican coffee and was big enough to serve as a meeting place for Scrabble with your friends. The Mexican version of Starbuck called Black Coffee has just opened near the new cineplex (with stadium seating and movie tickets only 40 pesos!) across from WalMart near the entrance of Ajijic. I also joined the Lake Chapala Mix and Match Singles group and went to a couple of dinners as well as the vibrant Ajijic Society of the Arts. There is even Latin America's only English Speaking Weight Watchers' meeting on Thursday mornings at La Bodega restaurante with about 60 or 70 lively members for motivation. I never rented a car (although I did have friends with vehicles) and I found I could walk absolutely everywhere from the centrally located Ajijc Suites or simply go to a bus stop or flag a bus down on the highway for 8 pesos. Hidalgo is fairly well lit at nights and has some great restaurantes and one bar (Salt and Pepper Grill & Pub that even shows hockey on Thursday nights!) but I always carried a flashlight for safety as the sidewalks can have unexpected and unmarked hazards. Fair warning that the cobblestone streets are just wicked and scary at first but as soon as I got equipped with two pairs of ankle stabilizing Air Nike basketball shoes I feared no cobblestone. I stayed in the Pepto Bismol pink Violeta Suite (due to be repainted Elaine told me) for a wonderful 4 months and practiced my Spanish most days with the efficient maid, Chayro. Ajijic Suites is very clean, comfortable and secure for a single woman traveller and I really appreciated Elaine and Luis's warm Ajijic hospitality throughout my stay which included a spectacular Christmas feast right in the lobby on Christmas Day. I wasn't homesick at all cuz at the first twinge I knew I could call Canada on the VOIP phone in the lobby area and reconnect with friends and family back in cold, snowy Canada envying my blissful, carefree life at Ajijic Suites. I would definitely recommend Ajijic Suites to singles or couples no matter how long or short your stay because it's a great feeling to join the Ajijic Suites chosen 'family.' Hasta luego, Elaine and Luis! For a full archival Twitter feed you can check out @ramblingrrl where I posted fairly frequent updates on the life and times of this first time snowbird.

Room Tip: For long term stays I would definitely want a bigger room; one with a separate bedroom. I'm a mi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jypsygrrl
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Thanks, Joanne, for your very informative review. It was a pleasure having you to stay & seeing you throw yourself into life here & all the wonderful activities and pursuits this area has to offer. Congratulations, again, on being the first guest to leave here better academically qualified than when you arrived!!! Your TESL qualification will, I'm sure, open yet more new & interesting doors for you in the future. Hope to see you again next year - definitely for Scrabble!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Our month in Ajijic was a real experience- our suite was a real plus! We had all we needed- one bedroom, bathroom, living area & small kitchen. We were happy with the t.v. & internet service, which we felt was a plus. We even had free long distance back to home when we needed it. Elaine was such a help when we wanted directions, referrals to a dentist or restaurant. We are planning our next stay in Ajijic shortly & I'm hoping it will be at Ajijic Suites. We mentioned the Suites to several friends, who wanted something different from a B 'n B, so now we may find they will book our suite before we are ready! We had been concerned before we arrived about safety, but that was not a problem- in fact our unit opened on to an inner lobby- which was behind 2 locked doors- only guests had a key. Luis, was helpful also in getting us to the airport on time!

Room Tip: Check out the appliances in the various rooms- ours had a convection oven, microwave & small fri...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
LaDuena, Owner at Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2012

Thanks, Marilyn, for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you & Les to stay & we miss seeing you looking glamorous as you went off to exercise! We certainly hope that we have the pleasure of your company again next year - maybe with pooch? Maybe Les can also line up any dental work he may need next time too? Do make your reservation early - we love to have repeat guests return & fit back in amongst whatever "family" are here at the same time.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

This was our second visit to Ajijic Suites since last year and we were here for 5 nights this time. The room we had originally booked was not availible so Elaine put us up in the Miguel Suite which was like a small home all on it's own. We had our own entrance off the street and enjoyed sitting out on the sidewalk in the morning to have our coffee and a before dinner drink in the evenings. We had all the amenities of a house including a full kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. Elaine and Luis (the owners) are gracious hosts recommending sites to see in the area. Luis also offers pick up and drop off services from the airport or bus depot at Guadalajara which makes the trip more worry free. He points out places of interest along the drive into Ajijic which takes 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic. He will also take you on a local tour to certain sites which is great since you don't have to rent a car and drive around on your own. There is a hot springs just 15 minutes by bus away from Ajijic and Elaine recommended that we go there. They have 3 large pools heated by the hot springs and also 6 "tina's" which are like hot tubs filled with all kinds of detoxifing and relaxing ingredients to make you feel wonderful. The Ajijic Suites is also steps away from the main part of the small town and close to the local shops and restaurants. We will be going back next year as it is a little bit of paradise!

Room Tip: Check out http://www.ajijicsuites.com/rezeasy.html to see photos off all the rooms, they are all a l...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks, Gayle, for such a kind review. It was, again, a pleasure having you & Paul to stay. It was particularly nice to see you both so comfortable here, enjoying sitting out on the street & watching the world go by. Hopefully others will read this & realise that this is a wonderful, warm, laid back holiday destination - a far cry from the fear mongering engendered by the US press. Hope to see you next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ajijic
Hotel Danza Del Sol
La Joya del Lago
La Joya del Lago
#6 of 7 in Ajijic
Hotel Ajijic Plaza Suites

Been to Ajijic Suites on Hidalgo? Share your experiences!