“royal feel to a meal”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We came without a reservation but with a lot of recommendations. The resort is perched up. We got to the restaurant and it was quite evident that the place was special. Te ceilings were higher than 7', the spacious restaurant had large tables well spaced and the decor was superb in the style of Mexican Contemporary with folk art touches. The service was at the beginning a bit slow but once we established our relationship with our waiter. it went at a good rate. The wine list is vewry good, especially in terms of Mexican wines. The food was great Mexican food with a modern preparation and dissection creating avant garde entrees with wonderful preparation, yet keeping the soul of the Mexican oriiginal dish. Kudos to the Chef, who schooled extensiively in USA and Europe.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I actually mentioned this restaurant in the review of the hotel that it's a part of already; but it definitely deserves it's own review.
The hotel itself is cozy, open and very comfortable. We were here during the holiday season, so there was a big, beautiful Christmas tree in the middle of the dining room that was neither distracting or overly-gaudy.
Every single person, from the hostess to the waitstaff, to the restaurant manager, whom we also met, were exceptional. It's been quite awhile since I've seen such hard-working restaurant staff provide such wonderful service. Management should be proud and grateful.
The dinner itself was delicious! Every single thing that I ordered from the menu was more than satisfactory. I had a really nice spring mixed greens salad with crusted over goat cheese and apple on the side. My entree was the seafood lasagna which was not huge, but it was delicious and did the trick. We all shared some dessert crepes after dinner and followed by a hot cappuccino, it's really hard to go wrong.
The waitstaff were so attentive and great. They worked extremely well together, like clockwork. It's the kind of place that has you torn a bit… because as I said, everything I had was great. But everything that everyone else had looked wonderful too. Unfortunately, I do not live close enough to return often enough to try everything! Haha. Either way, should I find myself in the area again, I'd surely return. If ANYONE finds themselves in the area, they'd be foolish not to give it a try. Again, thank you for a memorable dinner and evening.

1  Thank CaptainAwethume
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great variety of food selections with great presentation. Very attentive and polite waiters and servers.

1  Thank tripmand
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place is built on a hill and is a beautiful building. I ordered the seafood soup and my daughter ordered tortilla soup. I had better soup at Las Palmas Mariscos in Tecate; and the Tortilla Soup is much better at Baja Frut in Ensenada.

The waiters were educated in good service, but went into the bar and turned their backs to talk to the bartender, and was hard to get their attention. The Crème Brulee was excellent.

When I got up to use the beautiful crafted wood antique bathroom, there was one out of service piled high with toilet paper and excrement and smelled horrific. I told the waiter and my daughter then went back in to use the bathroom and she said no one did anything or went in to look.

2  Thank janene75
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I went for the first time to El Asao approx 5 years ago. Food was good but not worth the cost. Last week I took the family for dinner and the place blew my mind. New chef, new menu, awesome experience. Even the service was impeccable.

It is still kind of pricey but really worth it. I heard they even have a boutique hotel now.

I really recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank CamyR