“Heaven on Earth!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tecate
Rancho La Puerta Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tecate
Medfield, MA
“Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Where to begin?! This was my 3d visit to the "Ranch" and it certainly won't be my last. I booked it for a mommy rejuvenation week and I got it and more. This place is hard to really put into words as it is not a straight forward spa, it is so much more. Besides the brilliant selection of classes on the hour with expert and engaging instructors, the meals are exquisite (cooking school and organic garden are heavenly and run by the most enthusiastic and passionate gardener), the treatments are divine and the gardens are truly breathtaking. At every corner, I was intoxicated with the glorious smells coming from each variety of flower. The rooms are beautifully decorated with Mexican art and very clean and comfortable. The staff are genuinely friendly and gracious. The early morning mountain hikes are the best way to start each day. The Ranch is good for the soul, spirit, body and mental state.... I LOVE Rancho La Puerta!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank MABlissful

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
chicago,illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I have traveled to many different spas in the US and abroad but this one is the BEST in many ways.I almost didn't write this review because I don't want people running to our special place but then I felt like I was being selfish. The Ranch grounds are so beautiful and relaxing but there's nothing pretentious about this place.I know it takes an enormous amount of work to run this amazing spa but you never feel like people are trying too hard...everything just HAPPENS....wonderful accomodations,fantastic organic and mostly vegetarian food grown right at the ranches own farm! The classes and instructors are superb and knowledgeable. The spa services are the best we've ever experienced. My toe was broken before we went to the Ranch so I didn't get to do the hikes but I heard they were beautiful.

We can't WAIT to get back to Rancho La Puerta.I think our visits there will be at LEAST once,if not twice,a year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chowbeller
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This is a lovely place, much like a camp for adults. It is not a good choice if you want some time alone to reflect. Many of the guests have been there before and want to socialize. I have been to Miraval several times and prefer it there.
The food and snacks are better and plentiful at Miraval. I weigh only 100 lbs, but had a hard time adjusting to the lack of snacks (except fresh fruit) between the meals at Rancho. Also, there are very few options at each meal. Miraval has lots of entree choices, a large breakfast and lunch buffet (in addition to the sit-down choices), and a snack bar where you can get some healthy smoothies, muffins or yogurt between meals.
A deal breaker for me was the bed at Rancho. It was as hard as a rock, and even though the staff graciously added an "egg crate" to the mattress, I never had a good night's sleep. I woke up with a stiff neck or sore shoulder daily. The pillows and linens are below par as well. Miraval beds and linens are luxurious. I also like to have a cocktail before dinner, but there is none of that at Rancho. The diet is so strict, that they don't even have cream for coffee.
I will say that I prefer the classes at Rancho. The instructors are fabulous and entertaining. The prices are also good at Rancho, so it is a great choice if that's important to you.
Pros: Nice staff and guests, good food(but not enough), great massages, beautiful grounds, lots of activities.
Cons: Hard bed, rustic and dated room, no TV, wireless or voicemail in the room, not enough food, no alcohol, tips encouraged too much.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
11 Thank su432
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was a wonderful experience. I spent a week here and it was worth every penny. I stayed in the Junior Villas, but they are worth the extra cost. I was able to receive in-room massages, and they served breakfast by the pool which was a nice treat. After a long hike in the morning, I could take a quick shower and walk a few steps to breakfast.

I head complaints about spiders and other crawly things, but it is not really a problem. The first night, I was bitten by mosquitoes, but I got some OFF and was fine the rest of the trip. News flash: You can't expect to be immersed in nature, and then complain about nature.

The food was excellent. If you are used to eating french fries, soda and ice cream every day, this will be an adjustment. I am a fairly healthy eater, so I never felt deprived and I came away with a renewed sense of purpose regarding healthy and mindful eating.

The hiking was amazing. I am a runner and in reasonably good shape, but I found the hikes very challenging and rewarding. Some of the hikes would be strenuous for people who do not exercise regularly. Several people turned back on the 3.5 mile hikes as we started to ascend. I run 10 miles a day, but I got winded climbing the hills. There are less challenging options for the older / less physically fit, or for people who want more of a meditative hike. I would like to come back during the advanced hikers week. As I went from complete hiking virgin to completing the 7.5 difficult course in one week, I would want something more challenging when I come back, which I will.

I did not attend many fitness classes. The hiking was enough for me, and I spent most of my days relaxing, going to the spa, or going to mediation class. Resist the urge to overindulge in the exercise. If you do not exercise at home, you will not change your body in 7 days here, so remember to have fun outside of the gym. You will be better off attending the meditation and hypnosis classes which teach you how to incorporate exercise into your daily life.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
9 Thank redskinfan78
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was the best thing Ive ever done for myself. I was in need of some relaxation time and to get away from life. This was the perfect place. I was able to relax and excercise, eat well and enjoy the spa. I left feeling rejuvenated and I cant wait to return!

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank anjabeans19
San Diego
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Rancho La Puerta's summer discounts are the best value on the planet! Be sure to check out the website. In addition to discounted weekly/nightly rates, the Ranch is offering discounted spa packages, including an UNLIMITED spa treatments package for under $800. I would have taken advantage of that particular offering, but I didn't want to spend that much time indoors -- it's so beautiful there, you'll want to spend all day outside. I just returned from a terrific 4th of July week and the weather was ideal. 80s during the day, 50s at night. Perfect weather for the early morning hikes. If you need a vacation where you get to focus on yourself -- this is the place for you. Plus, the food is fabulous!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank MangoTango007
USA
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We just returned from the best recharge of personal batteries I have ever experienced. I've been to Miraval, Canyon Ranch and many other spas but RLP tops them all. Upon arrival you are transported to a place of restoration of body, mind and soul. The ranch has something for everyone: stunning gardens and grounds, fantastic fitness instruction and a wide range of activities and lectures as well as marvelous hikes. The wonderful food changed my thinking about how and what to eat. It was hard to leave today. I can see why so many people return year after year. There were also a small group of teenagers this year and they had tons to do. It is like adult summer camp. Because everyone is there for a week, you have the opportunity to make wonderful friends and to really have as much or little of a social life as you wish. Plus, there were plenty of men and couples there this week and the guys played volleyball and water polo together quite a bit. Plenty of challenges for the adventurer and fitness focused guy. The spa treatments were fabulous. I especially couldn't get over my amazing hot stone massage (do the 90 minutes!) Do yourself a favor and book a week at this very special spot on earth. You will never have a vacation quite like this anywhere else, trust me. Thank you RLP!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lunagoesglobal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tecate
Hotel Villas de Santiago Inn
Hyatt Place Tijuana
Hyatt Place Tijuana
#1 of 43 in Tijuana
Gamma by Fiesta Inn Tijuana

Been to Rancho La Puerta Spa? Share your experiences!