Rancho La Puerta Spa
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Tecate
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
Motel Leon(Tijuana)
  • Bar/Lounge
Plaza De Oro(Tijuana)
Hotel Astor(Tijuana)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsorganic gardencooking schoolfishnew friendswine bartop notchthe san diego airportheaven on earthsomething for everyoneearly morning hikescanyon ranchdining halllife changingcircuit traininginteresting peopleorganic foodspent a week
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my first visit to Rancho La Puerta. I found the grounds, rooms and staff to be exceptional. I did, however, miss food with flavor and good coffee. I have had wonderful vegetarian food before and, while this was fresh and mostly organic, I found it lacking in interest. I was so happy to go home and have the simplest faire with seasoning ! My other frustration was lack of good information prior to and at arrival making decisions challenging. There also appears to be a policy against handouts at informational classes and even a scarcity of paper with which to take notes. If there is a philosophical reason for this, I think that would have been helpful to know so that guests could come prepared with notebooks and pens. I have to say, my vote for best resort is still Canyon Ranch.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travelkate2014
Roberto A, Chief Executive at Rancho La Puerta Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback - we strive to provide the best experience for our guests and appreciate your comments. While overall we receive positive reviews on our cuisine, we will address your thoughts about the seasoning with the Chef. We aim to be mindful about not wasting paper in class, and therefore we offer handouts to guests online. We are sorry to hear that these elements of your week did not live up to your expectations. Guest satisfaction is always our top priority.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

After several years of much difficulty, dealing with deaths of loved ones, weight gain, low self-esteem, depression and almost homelessness, I finally found myself in a situation where I could start taking care of myself. For years I had heard of RLP and great things about it. I researched it some more and made my reservation. I knew I was in pretty bad physical shape after neglecting myself for some time, and I thought this would be the perfect place to get a jump start on my new life.

Was I ever wrong.

I was called out in front of exercise or dance groups several times for being uncoordinated, even though I was giving it 150% to keep up. I walked into a stretch class and asked the teacher if we needed blankets and she summarily dismissed me by saying, "What do you think this is, a yoga class?" She then proceeded to comment several times during the class how little money she making.

One of the helpers came over to a few of us when we first got there and were eagerly discussing all our options and told us we were too loud. What? There was hardly anyone in the room, and she just busted in on the conversation, to boot.

I had a fleece jacket over my workout clothes one morning on my way to breakfast. Granted, it wasn't the greatest color combination, but it was all I had. Several of the staff walked past me and one remarked, "You sure are colorful today," and they all snickered.

Even though they make a big deal out of us having to be in classes on time, I guess it doesn't apply to instructors, since one of the instructors never even bothered to show up or leave a note telling us they weren't going to be there.

I know many people love this place, and I am not disagreeing with their opinion. But if others are thinking about a place to go to get started into a new life, this place is not for you. There was definitely a lack of compassion and understanding here. It was my first visit and it will definitely be my last, and I can't ever recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
40  Thank CCee3
Roberto A, Chief Executive at Rancho La Puerta Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are saddened that your expectations were not met during your stay. Please note that feedback is always welcome while you are at the Ranch. If you do choose to return, please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any concerns. We strive for our guests to have magical stays with us, and will consider your unprecedented review as we continue to be “Siempre Mejor,” or Always Better. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I can't believe I have never written a review for Rancho la Puerta! I have been there twice over the past decade and yearn to return each year. My most recent visit was even better because the cooking school La Cocina que Canta is now open and a central part of my experience at The Ranch. Luxury that is affordable, comparatively speaking--and doesn't feel like a luxury, but a needed retreat and re-commitment to good health. I am happy that The Golden Door keeps those who desire rather private and personal luxury content and satisfied. Rancho la Puerta is another experience entirely. It is carved out of a beautiful and wild landscape and as one walks from casita to dining to classes to massage...or on a dawn hike into the mountains to watch the sunrise...one is part of that landscape. The staff are local people who have grown into all aspects of the Ranch management and welcoming. What I love best about the Ranch is the friendliness, relaxed community, quiet pace and feeling of being in a healthy and mindful village. It is not an elite/exclusive experience. But it is luxury...in the best and most beautiful meaning of the word. Tecate is also safe. The Ranch is a separate world for visitors, but one that is a good neighbor. Deborah and her daughter continue working with the community in creating educational, environmental, and nutritional support and opportunities for local students and families. Rancho la Puerta is partnered with its community and I felt that I could relax and feel welcomed--not exclusively apart and sheltered from reality. Deborah, at 92, continues to be an activist and organizer when it comes to supporting World Health. She is amazing--and continues to be an inspiration for all the women (and men) who visit the Ranch and yearn to return--and maintain a healthy and generous outlook between visits. May it always exist!

Room Tip: If you share a casita on the edge of the property, you will have privacy, beautiful unobstructed views of Mt. Kuchumaa...and healthy, beautiful walks to get to various activities throughout the day. There is a smaller spa center and pool in that quadrant of the property that makes it possible to spend the whole day in a tranquil setting. I like all the walking, but that may not suit everyone. Sharing the Villa Sol (S9) was perfect. There was enough space for two friends to have private suites, a lovely common area...and at the same price as an individual casita for each guest. As I get older, perhaps I would want to be closer to the Village, but I hope not!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Contessadioggi
Roberto A, Chief Executive at Rancho La Puerta Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your thorough and heartfelt review. You’ve definitely captured the essence of the Ranch which we hope is much more than just a spa and fitness resort, but a way of living, learning and giving back. We look forward to having you back at the Ranch!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a fabulous resort, the landscaping is the most beautiful I have ever experienced. Note it is a vegetarian themed resort, Fish for dinner. That was a struggle for me as I am a meat eater. I would say this is a great resort for the price, but it does not compare to it's sister The Golden Door (it has changed owners). However for the price it is well worth it.

Room Tip: The houses at the base of the mountain are the most secluded, quiet and private. You will however, see a few armed guards and an occasional illegal making its way over the mountain top... I stayed alone and the house was huge.. So I was a bit freaked out at night...As it is really dark back there. So if you get paranoid easily, stay in a smaller house closer to the main entrance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Drdiva73

Thank you for the review of the Ranch! We’re so glad you had a lovely visit and enjoyed your time here. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Let me start by giving you a caveat, I am by no means a vegetarian, nor am I a particularly keen on "healthy living".....that said , I have nothing but the greatest praise for Rancho La Puerta. The casitas (especially ours) are very roomy indeed, a sitting room and a bedroom with a separate place overlooking the mountain, should you have a few minutes in a very busy day to take in the spectacular, though spartan view. The room has filtered water, granola ( argh) in case you get hungry and a wonderful fireplace which is replenished, amply, every day. The bad news, it is a full half mile walk ( on purpose ) to the dining room( the idea is walk a great deal of the time).
While it feels cumbersome to walk so much to get from one place to the other, it is soon a pleasure, the smell around you is spectacular, the foliage is gorgeous and , after day three, suddenly that half mile does not seem outrageous, but grudgingly a good idea.
The activities are spectacular, almost every hour has three activities worth doing. The trick is to pick them so you get from one to another without having to transubstantiate ( be in two places at once). In the evening they have a good talk and a not so good ( while we were there) movie.
Most wonderful WATSU which is a form of Shiatsu massage in a pool which is 96 degrees. It involves letting the masseur take over and relaxing while he works. I would consider returning to Rancho La Puerta , just to do WATSU again.
The food, while almost strictly vegetarian, is fresh from their farm and organic, and amazingly delicious. Sadly, hard to duplicate their wonderful fruits and vegetables, but great while we were there!
It is not inexpensive, but when you consider the great number of people necessary to make that place the fabulous place it is , it is a great value.
I could go on and on, but if I have not convinced you, nothing I would write would help.

Room Tip: Closer to the dining room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Seberus
Roberto A, Chief Executive at Rancho La Puerta Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for your thorough review! It seems to many of our guests that a trip to the Ranch is not just a trip, but a journey as you described above! We’re happy to hear you experienced the magic of the Ranch during your stay, especially our WATSU massage, taking in the natural surroundings and the plethora of classes on our activity schedule. We hope to see you again soon!