“Noise Sensitive”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tecate
Rancho La Puerta Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tecate
Seattle, Washington
“Noise Sensitive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I just returned from a week at the Ranch over Thanksgiving week and was very taken back from the level of traffic noise heard all over the entire property. This was my first visit to the highly rated spa and went with a friend who was visiting for the 10th time. I also have another friend that loves the spa and frequents it very often. Both of my friends are very well traveled and have excellent taste and high standards when it comes to the accomodations, services and customer service. So my expectations were high.

What I didn't realize is that not just 1 but 2 major highways run parrell to the property and were added over the 70 years the spa has been in existence. Ear plugs are a must if you are at all sensitive to noise especially for sleeping. And I would suggest using them if you are sitting outside. Hearing trackor tailors downshift and sierns all day long is not my way to unwind from the hecitic pace I have at home. This unfortunately for me detered me for really relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the property. I will not return because of the noise level.
On a positinve note, the staff, instructors and food are all excellent.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
12 Thank Kathy B
PeterJensenatRancho, Public Relations Manager at Rancho La Puerta Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thanks for your comment...and a special thanks for the 4 out of 5 rating despite your concerns about noise! We're sorry it was a bad week for you and the road noise. November is a busy trucking season on the road that runs past our entrance, as well as the toll road across the valley from us and up on a hillside. Over the years the Ranch has done everything it can to deal this problem. When our founders first arrived at the property in 1940 it was by dirt road. The area's growth has been one reason we have acquired over 3,000 acres of our own land so that there are plenty of opportunities to seek quietude on the walks and hikes, both around the accommodations and out in the mountainsides and meadows. Yet despite our resort's huge size, there are parts of the property that can get road noise. Depending on weather conditions (i.e. breezy vs. still) there are other days when it seems unnoticeable. We've also built many of our accommodations over a quarter mile from the road, and we've installed double-pane windows in all casitas. We recommend our "Sol," "Luna" and "Arboles" accommodations that are the farthest from ANY roads (no cars are allowed on property) when sounds, other than bird calls, are a concern. Here's to a quieter world!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
LI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We have been going for many years now, and it keeps getting better all the time. As soon as you get off the bus you are transported to another place - and you want to stay in "the moment". The grounds are beautiful , surrounded by mountains. The morning hikes are fun and challenging- always getting you back in time for breakfast and classes
The selection of classes is hugh and you always have the option of doing nothing.
The evening entertainment was superb, and you were still in bed by 9.
Everyone is friendly and makes you feel comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose something centrally located, even if a little smaller- there is alot of walking.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank daylilly50
Goderich, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

This review is dedicated to all men that have a certain level of anxiety bordering refusal when asked to accompany their wife for a vacation to a Spa.
My wife wanted the spa and suggested I could probably forget the facials (although...) but enjoy the rest of the experience.
I thought: It's only a week and I can always exhaust myself with three 2hours walks per day mixed with some rest by the swimming pool. To say that I accepted happily was a generous overstatement.
Everything changed when we were picked up by The shuttle bus at the San Diego airport. We were given a discovery folder with all the activities for the week. There were 11 hours of daily activities and to my amazement from 1 to 10 activities per hour. I kept the walks (one per day at 6am), some of the swimming pool, and reviewed in the bus to the ranch the type of schedule I could have during what to be a very busy week for both mind (nutrition classes, photography and cooking classes) and body (more physical for me and more pampering for my wife).
We had chosen very carefully our villa at reservation time (seclusion and view) and were not disappointed. Very spacious with a private shaded terrace, living room, large dressing room and sizable bathroom.
The entire personnel from (seasoned) instructors to (smiling and helpful) local personnel has made our stay very easy to navigate.
I have to say it is very hard to find some weakness to this very very well managed operation. May be a bit too much emphasis on obesity management, some noise surprises from the close highway (only in certain spots).
As for the Spa I took with pleasure the free massage and was much too busy to venture any further ( we had appointments with my wife to see each other for lunch!!).
Chances for an encore next year are very high and that would be a first for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in room Sol 10, and as a suggestion take the first bus to the ranch at 8am, you will be th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Globetrotter1051
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

You may have reservations about going over the border to Mexico, given the craziness going on with the drug trade and all. Fear not. Rancho La Puerta is tucked far away from all that and once you're inside it's completely heavenly. The accommodations are elegant but not pretentious, the food is super healthy, home grown and amazingly tasty, and the fitness instruction goes on all day long at whatever level you want to try for. The hikes are great, and they have cooking classes that, although I didn't attend one, I hear are very informative and fun. Summer is a bit tough there, too hot, but spring and fall are gorgeous. Spa service is not what they are best known for but they do have a lot of treatments and you can get a great massage. And the clincher is that the price is right. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank CBWritergirl
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Rancho La Puerta is an exquisite property, just over the California, Baja California border. The atmosphere is relaxed, and you can do as much or as little as you want in the most beautiful of surroundings. The food is based on the produce from the Ranch's 7 acre organic garden, and it is delightful. The staff is what makes this place so special, some having worked here for almost 40 years---and others following in their parent's footsteps. Every hour there are at least 5 activities to choose from, early morning hikes of varying difficulty, exercise classes, but also programs, talks, art lessons, and treatments at the spa if you are so inclined. The organic garden is the source for all the Ranch's produce, hands on cooking classes are an optional activity. The accomodations are first class, with comfortable beds, air conditioning, and some with fireplaces. This resort gave me a week's worth of relaxation and restored my energy in ways I could not have imagined.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank fooddr
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Fantastic place to unwind and get off the treadmill of life. So much to do, or nothing to do at all - you choose. I chose to keep really busy and enjoy all that was offered. Amazing fitness instruction. Beautiful setting. Wonderful people.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Jan0705
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Rancho La Puerta is absolutely beautiful ... spent a week here in the spring and all the wild flowers were beautiful. This spa has something for everyone, you can do as much or as little as you want. i enjoyed the variety of classes offered every hour. Spa is wonderful, many different types of treatments. Food is excellent, you can order combo dinners to try both selections every night. Very relaxing and the staff is great ... always there to help.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank cstravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tecate
No photo provided
#1 of 46 in Tijuana
Hotel Ticuan
Hotel Ticuan
#3 of 46 in Tijuana

Been to Rancho La Puerta Spa? Share your experiences!