“Educational and Fun!”

Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Tecate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I enjoyed this tour so much I did it twice in as many weeks. Quite a large and impressive facility, it is actually one of the smallest of the six Tecate breweries in Mexico. Depending on the day you go, you will either get one free beer at the beginning of the tour and one at the end, or you might just get one at the end. These days Barbara is giving the tour and she is very knowledgeable, friendly, and welcoming. The beer garden was closed for renovation when we went but during yesterday's visit, they said it would be open next week (8-11-14). Because of this we got to do our tasting in the private employee tasting room! Good times. :)

3  Thank CH-Sheff
There are newer reviews for Tecate Brewery

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Was able to take a day out of my business schedule to visit the brewery with some co-workers. The tour is well organized and very informative. Its amazing to see how big this factory actually is. After the tour you get a fresh (VERY FRESH) brew to have before leaving. If I was ever visiting Tecate again, I would definitely stop by for another visit!

4  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed December 25, 2013

It's odd. I drink a lot of craft beer. Tecate is definitely not that. It's like a Coor's light of Mexico. Actually, the two brands are owned by the same company; the Heineken company, actually; so I suppose there's some truth to that. Either way, it was really cool to check the place out and see how the beer named after the city I was staying in is made.
Our tour guide was informative and very knowledgable. It was pretty fascinating to see such a huge brewery and the different stages/processes that go into it all. Non-craft or not. My one word of advice is this: Do not taste the hop pellets they offer you. Disgusting. Just enjoy them in the actual beer. Good lord! Even if I were a fan of IPAs I don't think I could stand the taste.
Other pro: You get a couple of complimentary beers for taking the tour. One before and one after. The tour is free as well, so you really might as well.

2  Thank CaptainAwethume
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having the beer in Tecate is a must. It tastes A LOT better than the stuff imported into the US. The Tecate beer imported to the US is not bottled in Tecate. It's bottled in Monterrey with different water.

3  Thank patsandiego1971
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I wanted to write a review about visiting the Tecate Brewery, because it was difficult for me to find information online ahead of time. I visited this past Saturday and enjoyed the short trip from San Diego. Tecate is about an hour from downtown San Diego, just off the 94. If you've never been, you will likely be pleasantly surprised about how different this border town is from Tijuana.

I made a reservation for a tour at the brewery a couple of days in advance by calling 011-52-6659490. The guy who answered spoke English (after I kindly asked in my broken Spanish) and was easily able to set up a reservation for my group of 4 for a noon tour. I would recommend calling ahead of time, because several times I've wanted to visit and they've been closed for one reason or another. I believe the brewery is typically open from 10am-2pm on Saturdays with a couple of tours during that time. My email to the address listed on this site bounced back.

We parked for $5 on the U.S. side of the border and walked to the brewery (which is only about 10 blocks away). When we arrived, each of us received a ticket for one free beer in the beer garden. There were a lot of locals at the beer garden, which made me wonder if they go everyday for a free beer. :)

The free tour lasted about an hour and included a lot of history about the brewery, as well as some basic information about the town and beer making process. Our tour was about 25 people, with only a few other gringos. However, most of the tour was given in English, since I had requested it when I made our reservation (which is another reason to call ahead of time).

After the tour we headed to Taqueria Los Amigos for lunch for some tacos. Check it out, it's only about 5 blocks from the brewery.

All in all it was a fun trip to Tecate and couldn't have been easier getting in and out of the country and getting around on foot, while we were there.

21  Thank jinxj