“Great day trip from San Diego”
Review of Tecate Brewery

Tecate Brewery
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Tecate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great day trip from San Diego”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I wanted to write a review about visiting the Tecate Brewery, because it was difficult for me to find information online ahead of time. I visited this past Saturday and enjoyed the short trip from San Diego. Tecate is about an hour from downtown San Diego, just off the 94. If you've never been, you will likely be pleasantly surprised about how different this border town is from Tijuana.

I made a reservation for a tour at the brewery a couple of days in advance by calling 011-52-6659490. The guy who answered spoke English (after I kindly asked in my broken Spanish) and was easily able to set up a reservation for my group of 4 for a noon tour. I would recommend calling ahead of time, because several times I've wanted to visit and they've been closed for one reason or another. I believe the brewery is typically open from 10am-2pm on Saturdays with a couple of tours during that time. My email to the address listed on this site bounced back.

We parked for $5 on the U.S. side of the border and walked to the brewery (which is only about 10 blocks away). When we arrived, each of us received a ticket for one free beer in the beer garden. There were a lot of locals at the beer garden, which made me wonder if they go everyday for a free beer. :)

The free tour lasted about an hour and included a lot of history about the brewery, as well as some basic information about the town and beer making process. Our tour was about 25 people, with only a few other gringos. However, most of the tour was given in English, since I had requested it when I made our reservation (which is another reason to call ahead of time).

After the tour we headed to Taqueria Los Amigos for lunch for some tacos. Check it out, it's only about 5 blocks from the brewery.

All in all it was a fun trip to Tecate and couldn't have been easier getting in and out of the country and getting around on foot, while we were there.

Visited January 2013
21 Thank jinxj

Laguna Niguel, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Tecate, Baja California, Mexico ~ August 2008”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Saturday
August 23, 2008
Brewery opened at 10 a.m.

Tecate Brewery located in Tecate, Baja California, Mexico

Tours are by reservation - either call or e-mail in advance
From Mexico 01 (665) 654-9490 or (665) 654-9478.
From USA 011 +52 (665) 654-9490 or (665) 654-9478 or e-mail
visitas.tecate@ccm.com.mx

INCLUDE in your request for Tour
* Date and time of your visit
* Tour in English or Spanish
* Number of people in your group

Tour rules posted at Tecate Brewery
* Food and drinks
* Smoking
* Sandles
*******************
Not posted and not allowed
* Jewelry; watches, bracelets, earings and rings - that includes wedding rings - no exceptions

There were six in our group and we arrived at 10 a.m. We had not made reservations in advance. Two of us had taken the tour 5+ years ago and rules have changed since then.

The Tecate beer garden gate employee offered to ask the office if there was a tour guide available that spoke English. He returned very quickly to let us know that there was a tour guide available. Our tour guide, Andres, came out to greet us. He spoke English very well.

Two of us had sandles on, however, we had a change of shoes in our car. No problem, two of us would change shoes - CHECK. Our cameras would fit in my shoulder back - CHECK. Our watches and jewelery can go in our pockets - CHECK.
Four of us could not slide our wedding rings off our fingers (2 married 50+ years and 2 married nearly 25 years) - OH GEEZ.
Two of six in our group proceeded to take the Tecate Brewery tour.

PROS
* Tour is 30-40 minutes long
* Tours offered in English or in Spanish
* One free Tecate beer per person per day in the beer garden
* Clean bathroom facilities
* The two that attended the tour received free red plastic sports bottle with the Tecate logo
* Tour is worth taking and it is interesting. Learn about the Tecate Brewery founded in 1943 and the variety of beer labels produced

CONS
* No beer for sale in Tecate beer garden (for those of us that weren't able to take the Tecate Brewery tour).
* Few guest parking spaces located directly in front of beer garden and the curb is painted yellow, which made me wonder if it was guest parking or not. We didn't want to park on the street if we didn't have to.

24 Thank LagunaLizzy