“A Great Port”
Review of Great Stirrup Cay

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We all know these are 'fabricated' ports where the ship can dock for a day, but we loved this place! Holland America served us a buffet style lunch- it was so-so. But the island itself was beautiful, even though we had a couple of rain showers. We had fun playing volleyball with some of the crew. We walked the island. The water was crystal clear- perhaps a bit chilly for my friends, since it was December. The fish were all around. It was just a great day. I would recommend getting there early if you would like to have a chair- there was actually a fight over them. There are coverings available, but we weren't interested, so I can't tell you how that works. It was the best 'private island' experience we've ever had cruising.

1  Thank Lisa W
"ncl breakaway"
in 7 reviews
"tender boat"

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We visited Great Stirrup Cay as one of our stops on our cruise on the Norwegian Sky. The beach is fairly clean, and there are plenty of lifeguards on duty. There were plenty of shore excursions offered by NCL but we chose to hang out at the beach and relax. The water was a bit cool, but many people were swimming anyway. Having the food provided for us was a nice touch by NCL. No need to carry any money around for food since it was all part of our cruise package. There were some souvenir vendors, but I don't know if they took money or charged things to the NCL account. Everything was very pleasant, but watch out for the sea gulls. They can be almost rabid! Do not leave your food unattended even for a second. I saw a few people lose food off their plates and even from their hands because of aggressive sea gulls. Do not feed the wildlife!

3  Thank Anita S
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We visited Great Stirrup Cay on March 18, 2014 during our cruise on the Norwegian Sky. I'm so glad we booked a large cabana for the day. The extra special treatment you get with the cabana was well worth the money. Plus, it gives you a private place to relax and made it feel like we had the island to ourselves. The area with the large cabanas has it's own beach so it didn't get as crowded as the main beach. There was bottled water, fruit, and chips and salsa waiting for us. Plus you have your own table and chairs and several lounge chairs. The cabana has a ceiling fan, a hammock, and your own shower to wash off the sand. If we take this cruise again we will definitely book a cabana again.

8  Thank DGR33
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I went on a cruise with Norwegian and absolutely loved the fact that this is a private beach. I went kayaking around part of the island and got to see some wildlife like iguanas, sea stars, sea cucumbers, conches, hermit crabs, sea urchins, and small fish. It was a windy day but still very warm. The beach was full of fellow cruisers but it was not overcrowded. There are parts of the beach in which the water is very rocky and hard to walk barefoot but other parts where it was fine.
I would definitely recommend this beach!!!! Take advantage of the free lunch buffet and unless you hate the sun you won't need to rent a shell. If you can do the shore excursions here definitely do it. There is also basic snorkel equipment available to rent on the beach.

2  Thank Steph S
See more reviews
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were on Great Stirrup Cay March 21, 2014 it is a beautiful beach they are still developing a lot of it , the reef isn't all that beautiful as I have been snorkeling a lot , what was exciting was that I spotted a Manitee I could not believe it as they like to hang in mangroves and river outlets . When I came home a researched it and found that indeed a family of mantiees hangs in the Berry Islands which is where Great Stirrup Cay is and that Great Harbor Cay is where the first sightings of Mantitees where spotted . This island is very close to Great Stirrup Cay , they are rare yo see so I felt lucky to have a chance to swim along side this majestic friendly mammal .

4  Thank Mary H