“Great experience on Coco Cay”
Review of Coco Cay

Maryland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great experience on Coco Cay”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We very much enjoyed our 8 hours on Coco Cay. Even on December 22nd, the weather was around 80 oF with blue skies and the water was a similar temperature. We had a slight wind, but nothing much at all.

All of my family spent time doing the snorkeling. We went out to the sunken ship, cannon and airplane. We also spent time in the deeper water off to the left of the beach area. We saw a large variety of very colorful fish, stingrays, barracuda and even some larger manta rays in the deeper water. For fairly novice snorkelers, this was an amazing experience.

A couple of tips to help enjoy your stay on the island......
-Rent a cabana. We had 4 people in our group and loved the Cabana we had. It was a great place to leave all of our snorkeling equipment and wetsuits (we brought ours). We also had great service here and the lunch was excellent (I ate 5 shrimp skewers and could have probably eaten a dozen more as they came off the grill.......great)
-Go as early as possible. We were on the first transfer over to the island and there was no waiting at all
-No reason to go back to the ship until the last transfer back. We spent a full 8 hours on Coco Cay and having the Cabana (4 comfortable chairs and a place to get in or out of the sun as you wanted) certainly made that easier.
-If you go in Dec, Jan or Feb, I think a wetsuit makes this much more fun. Its not required as we were in the small minority that had them, but the water felt great with a spring wetsuit on.

Overall a great time snorkeling (spent at least 3 if not 4 hours in the water), relaxing in the warm caribbean sun and just having fun. I would love to go back.

Visited December 2011
19 Thank DrCrimson

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liberal
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Glass Bottom Boat Ride Was Excellent”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

After being on a few different glass bottom boat rides, I can say, this one was the BEST that I have ever been on. Our guides were great, jumping into the water to point out some different things such as starfish and conch's. We saw 1,000's of fish, many different kinds, big and small, and even saw a barracuda and a baby maco shark. I would highly reccomend this for anyone stopping by on their Royal Carribean cruise!

Visited November 2011
8 Thank Uncbears21
Henderson, Kentucky, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Loved Cocoa Cay”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Well it didn't list just a family member.. my son went with me, and he's not a teenager.. it's unusal for people to see a 31 year old that doesn't mind hanging out with mom in other parts of the world, but here in Ky we are family oreinted.

But we went on our first ship, actually first boat ride out in the ocean. We usually go to Florida wth other family members, but this year we decided we haven't been on a ship and wanted to give it a try.. He liked the food, I wasn't too fond of it.. but than again I was wearing transaderma patches to make sure I wasn't sea sick, which might have altered my taste.. but when we got to cocoa cay, I had never snorkeled before.. I loved it.. the island was so pretty,, wish I had seen more of it, but I was so into the snorkeling and so was he, we didn't get around the island much.. Seen the sunk boat, that is where most of the fish stay.. it was so funny, my son had on bright yellow swim shorts, with black trim, he had a bunch of Yellow, and white, or yellow and black fish swimming with him and behind him, swimming up in his face to check him out,, it was just amazing to watch.. There was some smaller fish out by the sunken boat,, saw the prettiest blue fish. don't know what people are talking abt when they say there wasn't many fish. We saw hundreds of jelly fish, and got stung by many of them...it only hurts for abt 10 mins.. just don't get near the red coral reef.. some came off with the sea weed, got me on the snorkeling with sting rays,, now that hurts and don't stop til u have it treated..My son on Cocoa Cay saw the sting ray, baracuta, and some tiger fish.as well as the yellow fin fish..and saw a clown fish.. I didn't go out as far as him, at that time..just learning to snorkel.. but u can't go wrong on cocoa cay,, we also had a virgin loko moko drink,, very good..Had a great time, would love 3 more days on that island to see everything..My advice if u get the chance.. go.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank Lydia L
Hollywood, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“RCI's private island”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I go every year for a special event. Michelle runs the island and is awesome in every way.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank William M
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Family Stop though we did get rained out”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I really liked Coco Cay. You take the tender in and everyone on the island is either from the ship or works for RCCL. This is nice, you can relax with your family and you don't have to worry about people trying to sell you stuff or harass you etc...it is a great beach day. The restrooms here are maintained by RCCL also and are very clean.

We followed other reviews and got to the island probably around 8:15, this is nice because you are the first ones there and get to pick your spot but I wanted to snorkel right away and you actually have to wait to rent a $6 snorkel vest, and they don't start renting vests until 9am - which was kindof a bummer.

After getting my vest I rented a floating mat for $10, the snorkel area is pretty big and I figured my kids could rest on it while we snorkeled. The mat worked out ok, but I had to drag it around the water and that was a workout. i don't really think it was worth all the effort dragging that mat around, I guess the kids did appreciate it though and my 8 year old son would actually just ride on it when he got tired and just have his mask down in the water watching the action.

The snorkel area is very large and there are fish, they aren't just swarms of fish but it is nice. We also saw a sting ray and my wife saw a jellyfish. I was swimming out to the farthest platform out in the water looking for the plane they had sunk, as I was swimming up to the platform to ask the people sitting on it if the plane was around there I saw a huge barracuda just chilling out right under the platform where these people had their legs in the water, I am guessing he was about 4 ft long, scared me pretty good and I forgot the plane and headed out of there...quick. Later, I had my courage back and was going to go back out and try to get a picture of the barracuda with our camera but we were rained out about 12 and headed back to the ship shortly after that.

Overall Coco Cay is a great stop and very family oriented. You can head to the beach for a great stress free day for your family, would like to come back here minus the rain and do some of the hiking trails as well.

Visited October 2011