“Beautiful”
Review of Coco Cay

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I went from Monarch of the Seas with my four teenage children. It was an exceptionally beautiful island. Some tips:

1. If you don't like noise and crowds, walk along the water to your right. You will get more and more isolated stretches the farther you go. A 10 minute walk gets you to hammocks in the midst of tropical trees and hardly anyone around; another 10 minutes and you are all by yourself. It just depends on what you want. Some people dragged the lounge chairs to the shallow waters and relaxed mostly by themselves. It was soooo pretty.
2. Bring plenty of sunscreen. If you want to stay all day you will need to reapply every few hours or you will get badly burnt. There is shade for those who do not like sun.
3. You do not need to buy anything on this island if you don't want to. Perhaps some snorkeling equipment. The water itself is stunning--shallow, warm and clear. I sat in the shallow water next to a stringray and saw two live conches crawling along nearby. In fact, I saw several stringrays--very beautiful. I swam and lay in the shallow waters for many glorious hours.
4. If you keep going to the right you will be entirely alone. I walked as far as I could and reached the impassable point of the island (rocks). Very gorgeous.
5. There are hiking trails in the center of the island. I walked for about a half hour, just thinking my thoughts--encountered many lizards and cool spiders but no people at all. Wear shoes; it's very pebbly.
6. My young adult daughter drank the rum drink ($6 or so) and read in her hammock and then went shell gathering. That's all she did. She was very happy. My boys went swimming and exploring by themselves. Again, the water is very shallow for a very long time. We are from NJ and used to the ocean, though--my boys wouldn't never go out deep because they are aware of the dangers of the ocean. Use your judgment.
7. We all went shell gathering early on and found great conch shells-but we weren't allowed to take them off the island. We WERE allowed to take some very pretty rainbow shells off and they are currently lining our shelves at home--so pretty.
8. Lunch there is fine, but crowded. I barely ate anything--had the salad and some fruit and drank a lot of iced tea. I had a hearty dinner when I got back that night.
9, There are games and music for people who like that sort of stuff. If you like drinking, eating, and being around people, then do not walk too far away from the first beach. Again, the more you walk, the quieter and lovelier it gets.
10. My kids ended up getting tired of it all before me and they went back before me; when I got back to our cabin at 4 or so, I discovered my youngest teen taking a nap! They all had a great time. I stayed until 3:00 and there was no line to speak of to get back to the tenders. Probably if you tried to leave at 4:30 (last call) you'd have to wait a lot. Just be aware of that.

36  Thank singlemom5

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Upon arrival to Coco Cay you see a grove of hammock filled palm trees and a colorfull straw market. Whereas all of the elements of a Carribbean paradise are in place...you can't help but feel a little icky from the contrived fakeness of it all. Royal Carribbean has transformed this natural island beauty into a built-up tourist faux-paradise experience. My advice is to walk past all of the food stations and set out on 'the nature trail'. We found barefoot beach which another reviewer had recommended. This was extremely less populated. It's about a ten minute walk from the main area with the snorkel shack, and is before the water slide area. There are little shade huts and lounge chairs set up on the beach which was very comfortable. There is not a bar nearbye, so you may need to hike down to the waterslide area to stock up ahead of time if you feel you would like some cocktails to accompany your beach experience. Also the water on this side of the island is considerably calmer. Don't bother snorkeling on Coco Cay there is not much to see other than hundresd of jelly fish which is quite scary to swim around. They travel in giant packs, and many times you are unaware of them unitl you are in the middle of the group! There is even a medic area on Coco Cay specifically for jelly fish stings! Just skip it. Enjoy the beach and wade in the water. You certainly aren't missing any under the sea experiences.

4  Thank Traveler_Ma_10
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Just returned from a 4 day cruise to Nassau and our family agreed that the best part was the day stop at Coco Cay. Snorkeling was nice, water was warmer than Hawaii, not crystal clear but good enough to see to the bottom. Rented the equipment on the island for $32 which includes a vest which serves as a nice floatation device if you just want to float on your back in the water and escape the heat (90 and humid). Snorkel Beach has a sunken ship, plane and canons to explore that are marked by floating balls. This is where a lot of the fish congregate. Best sight was a large stingray.
The lunch was great. All you can eat ribs, fried rice, corn, hamburgers, dogs.
My kids also went into the Aqua Park ($15) which has slides, trampolines and other floating devices to play around on. There are other activities like jet skis for a price.
Coco Cay is small enough to walk around and explore or find a secluded spot at Barefoot Beach. Tons of loungers and hammocks everywhere so you don't feel like you have to struggle to find your piece of paradise. All in all a great day on a tropical island.

8  Thank goyami
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were pretty nervous about what the stop was going to be like. We like to get out a do a little exploring when we stop at various ports of call. We knew this was a very small island so were weren't sure how much fun we would have. We loved it!

The place is tiny and people pour off the ship for hours but it's hilarious how the people will take the first chairs they find. If you go to the beach area near the food you will be elbow to elbow. If you walk a ways to next food area you have some space between you chairs. If you walk 10 minutes from main area (going to the right) you will hardly see anybody. For us, the short walk was absolutely worth it.

We had great weather when we arrived but it started getting cloudy soon after and we had a 30 minute down pour right at lunch time. There isn't really any covered area for people to eat so everybody had lunch ruined. No big deal since there is plenty of food on the boat.

We played volleyball and did some snorkeling. We saw some stingrays and some small tiger sharks. The tiger sharks were really cool. They swam very close to shore on beach where there were people (way to the right of the main beach).

Overall, very fun day even with the rain. We just waited it out and had a few beers. We hate all the peddlers at the normal ports of call so thing little island was a nice change. It was very clean with plenty to do for an afternoon.

The downside was the price of the teen water park and the water slide. Charging $20 for the water slide is absolutely ridiculous.

10  Thank in2geo
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Our family of ten (includes grandparents) went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas. We loved this island. The people are so friendly and accomodating. Lots to do for all ages. A great time for all!

3  Thank sandilox