All reviews year olds young kids fire pit double bed crepes horizon hotel comfortable beds bring your own electricity dishwasher tent picnic bedding ground supplies camping onsite
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Great staff. Great amenities. Amazingly comfortable beds. Beautiful grounds.
Glam camping...for sure! Bring the food Nd the rest is there. Don't bring food Nd eat at the onsite restore bar. Great concept. Cannot wait to try the new one I. New Hampshire!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Nicolas C, Directeur général at Huttopia Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2018

Thank you for sharing your very nice comments, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

Given the mixed reviews, I didn't know what to expect, so I wanted to offer as much detail as possible to other families. The bottom line is that yes, it's expensive, but you're paying for convenience. Packing was almost as easy as packing for a regular weekend away at a hotel. I wanted my kids to have the camping experiences I had as a child, but we are not equipped with all the supplies necessary to make that happen, so this was our compromise. If this sounds like you, read on for my glowing recommendation!

We stayed at Huttopia Sutton in late July, for 2 nights, as a family of 4, with two children, ages 6 to 8. We opted for a Trappeur Tent with electricity and a bathroom, and for our purposes, it was well worth the money, as it was the perfect mix of nature and convenience/amenities.

SOME OF THE BEST DETAILS:
-Not overly crowded, easy access to all services
-Almost no bugs
-The central area, the Centre de la Vie, is equipped with family board games, ping pong, puzzles, books (and even a TV), and more, available for free to all. It also offers a full restaurant with delicious pizza (many people order pizzas to go), salads, smoothies, crepes, snacks such as hummus and fries, and ice cream. You can eat inside, outside, or in the outdoor screened-in porch in the event of bugs. The outdoor porch is equipped with tables and chairs, including adirondack chairs overlooking the pool and forest, and there never seemed to be trouble accessing a table/chair. You can also bring your own food and eat it on the porch as far as I can tell, so the restaurant is optional. I love to be around people, so this setup was a highlight for me.
-The pool is heated and lovely, with a couple of lifeguards on duty. It's not very big, but it was adequate for the number of folks when we were there. There is a tiny shallow pool right next to the larger pool, good for small children. The primary pool does not contain a graded entry, and does have a full shallow end or a deep end per se. Water ranges from waist height to head height for an adult maybe? Bring floaties for young children.
-There is a beautiful river walk about 15-20 minutes from the central area. Not for youngest kids, as there is some navigating of rocky terrain, but was perfect for 6 to 8-year olds.
-2 playgrounds in the central area, one for young children, another ropes course for older children.
-There are lots of dogs and kids on site, which we found lovely, but may not be for everyone.
-Daily activities for children and families, including campfires, treasure hunts, sports activities, etc - some require registration. No cost to my knowledge. Reduced activities on Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings, it seems.
-There is no lake access, but Douglass Beach (basic beach) in Knowlton is about a 15-20 min drive away.

TENT / HUT DETAILS:
-Trappeur 5 hut with bathroom has a clean and lovely small sink, shower, and toilet. Very glamorous for camping, but quite small for anyone with limited mobility or for a larger person.
-There are a couple of different models, I believe. Ours had two separate bedroom areas, one with a double bed, the other with a bunkbed, with single on top, double/twin? on bottom. Can definitely accomodate 2 adults and 3 small children. The bedding is suprisingly superb, with sheets, pillows, blankets and duvets for all beds. Bathmat and bathroom towels were also provided. The mattresses were extremely comfortable and our sleep was very comfortable. There are small screened windows in the bedrooms, which can be zipped up for darkness, but I do wonder if it would be stifling during a heat wave. The pockets on the wall next to each bed were very handy for nightlights, water bottles, etc. See pics.
-The kitchen was well-equipped, with fully drinkable running water, and all the amenities listed on the website. The outdoor stove was really convenient for cooking. Indoor table can be moved onto the covered porch, and there is an outdoor picnic table as well.
-Huts are not all that secluded, but we barely heard any of our neighbours and definitely surrounded by full greenery. If you are looking for an isolated campsite, this is not it.
-Location: Trappeur 5 was perfectly located a little way down the hill from the Centre de la Vie, probably a 250-300 metre walk, which even young kids can handle. Of note, the Centre de la Vie is at the top of the hill, and the sites are downhill from it in both directions. See the map on their website (I included a link initially but TripAdvisor made me remove it!). The properties further down the hill can be quite a distance, either a long walk or a drive up the hill, which is not ideal with young kids or older family members. It looked like all of the 'cabanes' were at the bottom of the hill near the entrance, so it could be quite a walk.
-Cleaning fee: We had the option of a $90 cleaning fee. I asked what was expected of us if we did and did not opt for the professional cleaning. I cannot recall the exact details, but the difference was as simple as the need to sweep or something similar. In both cases, we were expected to leave the dishes clean, bring our garbage to the dump, and stripping the beds was optional. I'm not sure if we had a misunderstanding, but I can't see the value in paying for cleaning.

A FEW DOWNSIDES:
-No recycling that we know of. Given the depth of the amenities in the huts, it would be great if a small recyling box was provided, or at least an area for dumping recycling at the end of the visit. Maybe we missed this, but it was a disappointment.
-Our fire pit and several others were on an area of the ground that wasn't flat, and didn't allow for ideal seating. It's a small detail, but with young kids, we wanted to be able to move their chairs back on a flat area when the flames were high. For the price we pay, the ground/dirt should be graded around the fire pits. Really not a big deal though, and might be site-specific.

All in all, a great experience, and we would return another time. Enjoy!"

Room tip: "Centre de vie" (resto/pool/office) is at top of hill. Sites further from it can be quite a long walk up a large hill.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Antoine R, Directeur général at Huttopia Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in a 'Trappeur' tent for 2 nights.

The good things:
Friendly check in and check out. Jonathan was polite, helpful, and also bilingual
Parking close to the tent
Flush toilet, shower, bathroom sink, kitchen sink
Mini fridge that kept everything nice and cold
Lots of electrical outlets
Comfortable bedding
Large kitchen table with 6 chairs
Wagons to borrow to transport your stuff to and from car
Very quiet and family friendly, no rowdiness at night

Things they need to improve:
No hand soap provided in bathroom, or shampoo/body wash for shower
Loose top rail on patio
No handrails with steep steps. Handrails would make it safer particularly for kids
Picnic table seat part was loose and almost falling off

Overall it was a nice stay but broken items should be repaired or replaced. Even adding a few screws in the railing and picnic table would fix the issues that I noticed. They charge hotel rates for the tents but expect you to go down to the IGA to buy your own hand soap.

Despite the broken items and missing toiletries, my family had a good time. We may give it another chance in the future and perhaps rent a chalet next time.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Shannonc84
Antoine R, Directeur général at Huttopia Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, there are very important for us to always improve our services and give the best to our clients. We hope to see you back to Huttopia Sutton.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

Our visit was marred by an angry Huttopia staff person who yelled and stormed around the campsite. If there is concern that our dog is barking, please tell us kindly so that we know there is an issue and we have a chance to do something about it, before screaming at us from the road. We also didn't know that wagons need to be returned to a certain place each night, having this staff person show up and dump out our stuff and storm off in a huff was an added bonus. Everything is in French so those of us who do not speak French may not be able to understand all the campground rules right away. Either way, it would be my expectation to be spoken to politely and given a chance to show that we are respectful campers.
We stayed in a trappeur, it was well stocked with everything we needed and comfortable. The price is equivalent to staying a hotel so ultimately more than I'd normally pay for a camping experience.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah M

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry of what you explained concerning this employee and you can be sure I will take care of it. To satisfy our clients is our priority.
Concerning the french language, everything is written in both languages and all the staff speak both languages.
We hope to see you again so we have the chance to offer you the experience that you were expected.

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

This was suppose to be a special camping trip for my birthday. We are avid campers but choose Hurtopia because it was “glamping”. A big “sell” for us was the onsite lodge with pizza dinners, a bar and crepes in the morning! With no correspondence that these services were not open ( bc it was early in the season) we have been utterly disappointed in our stay. Right before we drove the 4 hours to get here, I thought I better call to just make sure the pizza would be served bc that was our dinner. It was only then that I was informed that food was only on the weekends. I was disappointed, but was still looking forward to a nice pizza that night, Sunday. Nope, no pizza and no dinner. Well, at least there will be the coffee and bread in the morning, no coffee gone and no bread. For the amount we are paying, and to have no services, this is NOT worth your money. I work at a camping store and I will be warning people not to come. Big fail.

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank Sarampedersen
Antoine R, Directeur général at Huttopia Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, it is very important for us to always improved our services. We regret that you didn't enjoy your stay. All the information concerning our services in low season are given at your booking or if you booked online, all these information are on our website.