“My New Favorite Place”
Review of Au Diable Vert

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton
Au Diable Vert
Reviewed November 28, 2012

After booking my dream getaway to a solitary cabin in the woods at Au Diable Vert, I found all the negative reviews posted and became a little worried that I had made a big mistake. Undeterred, I packed my own pots, pans, dishes etc. and headed out with an optimistic outlook. This vacation was more than I had hoped for. I stayed in a wonderful new little cabin that was very tastefully built and equipped. There was no hint of furry visitors. All was neat and tidy. A crew was sent out before my arrival to sweep and bring wood in. I did not find it necessary to use the plastic fitted sheet I brought…..just in case ☺

This is a very picturesque location. Each cabin or tree house has its own space where the natural integrity of the woods has been respected as much as possible. They all have an outhouse on site. As I had hoped, I was totally secluded in my wonderful location for a 3 night stay. The trails on the property are really well marked and give many opportunities to savor the spectacular views. You just have to pay attention. There is an amazing washhouse with flush toilets and showers. This building would be too far from many sites to be used regularly, but does offer a great place to clean up each day if that is what you want.

This is an ideal location for camper personalities. It is a wonderful way to get away from the hectic, technology laden, way too busy life most of us experience these days. If you are expecting a cabin with all the luxuries and perks of a motel type cabin, you might be disappointed. These are cabins in the woods. Something that is difficult to find these days. Something I am willing to pay extra for. Some are newer than others. Some have just recently been updated. Some are really rustic. I found all to be true to the photos posted on the website. Some of the cabins have lofts that would not be appropriate for very young children, but others have bunks on the lower level that would be. You would also have to be very careful with the very young next to an operating wood stove, just as you would at home.

This location is on the side of a hill. If you are staying in any of the sites away from the main building and you don't have a group to help, it would be wise to pay the $10 for luggage delivery. It is quite a steep climb. Water is another thing to think about. I took my own large container and it lasted my entire stay but was very heavy. I was thinking that it might have been nice if a container of water, even if it had been my own, had been delivered with the wood or cabin check, but perhaps regulations don't allow that.

I had an amazing stay! The owners are very friendly and I believe have a wonder vision for their little piece of paradise. Someone is an artist, as you will see with the many carvings about the property and the brilliant use of trees and branches in adding the extra little touches. A lot of time has been spent maintaining this property. I can't wait to return with my snowshoes!

Room Tip: Look at each cabin on the website and check out the photos and descriptions. I found them to be true...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
AuDiableVert, Owner at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Whitefeather769,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are happy you loved your stay. When it comes to personal standard everyone is different, so the rustic, romantic, quiet cabin for one, becomes the dirty old shack you had to slog to for the next. We certainly don't mind personal opinions, we do our best to give you as much information as we can on the website, by phone or by email, unfortunately some guest are still surprised that their cabin has no electricity, is walk-in and so on.

More often we hear, I had no idea you existed, I have been dreaming of a place like this for so long, I cannot believe I could bring my dogs - they had so much fun, we cannot wait to come back in the....season, just like you did.

So thank you again, we hope to see you back in snowshoe season, you'll be able to try the new and cool Hok-skis (half ski half snowshoe) which is ideal for our trails.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I used to live in the Montreal area, and we loved the Townships. Then 7 years ago we moved to NYC, and boy, do we miss the beauty, silence and fresh air of rural Quebec! Thank God, right before our move, we discovered “Au Diable Vert", and we have been going back up multiple times a year, in all seasons, for all kinds of unforgettable adventures.

Over the years we have tried pretty much all of the accommodations they offer, and we love all of them, each for different reasons. We like the comfort and convenience of the condos in the winter, when we just want to rest; we like the log cabins in the fall, a prefect starting point for amazing hikes to take in the glorious foliage; and nothing beats camping in the woods in the summer. The more recent addition of the tree houses was true genius - they are the coolest thing ever! We stayed in the DreamCatcher, this summer, and it was truly spectacular…we loved every minute of it!

I just looked it up on Tripadvisor to recommend it to NY friends, and I was appalled by the negative reviews. I really feel compelled to write something, because this is really a misrepresentation, and it is not fair to the many people who may be put off by them, and miss out on this unparalleled experience.

I must say, reading them reminded me that in my last stay I happened to be in the office one morning, and I witnessed the girl at the front desk having to deal with such an unreasonable guest I couldn’t believe my ears. The lady had seen a mouse and wanted a full refund for her stay…I really tried my upmost not to laugh. She was offered plenty of solutions, and even a free SPA visit while the staff would put out traps, but this did nothing to calm her and she stormed out with the words “…you’ll be sorry…”. I felt like telling her: “it is the forest, and there is going to be "forest guests" paying you a visit while we sleep”. And the cabins do have very clear instructions on how to keep you stuff clean and avoid "visitors" in the first place.

I also feel I need to address the “distance to the cabins” complaint I read…"we had to walk" seems to be a big issue in almost every review…did any of you READ the website? It even tells you down to the minute how far you’ll have to walk. And it explains the concept of it being "people powered", using your own energy for the good of the planet and your health! My hat off to Au Diable Vert for sticking to it - how easy would it be to just let everyone drive…but it would ruin that magical site. Well done - and don’t change it!

So, the amazing things you’ll be able to enjoy here are, among many others:

- many great hikes on the trails (which are very clearly marked). Over the years we have done plenty, and my favorite is Olivia’s point of view – which is about a 3-hour hike to a lookout and back. You can also ask the staff to drop off a car for you at the Sentier de l’Estrie parking, down the road, and do a one way hike of the same distance and return by car (2 min). We have done both! Parts of the Forest looked devastated, and though the trail was cleared, tangles of trees remained on both sides. “20 years of damage in 4h, thanks to hurricane Irene…” was the comment from the staff. “…but we try and reuse as much of the storm wood as we can - your DreamCatcher was almost entirely built from it and the Fisherhouse also received its facelift from that. As well as 10 years of firewood…”. Now, that seems the true definition of ECO-friendly to me! I love that spirit.
If you hike with kids and are staying for a while, ask them for a Bio-Trousse – it’s an activity kit made for the Sutton Mountain region – we had hiked with friends with young kids, and I have never seen the kids so keen on nature hikes.

- Kayaking in the summer: I took friends from Italy, and they just could not believe the beauty and ease of it. You leave your car at the arrival spot, they drop you off upstream, you paddle as much or as little as you like, and when you are done you drive off, whenever you want. It always takes me 6 hours, because I stop to swim and play…and I don’t like to paddle! I have never experienced anything like this anywhere else.

- Bolton Spa: you can get a very convenient package and spend an afternoon there as well – so relaxing, unique, and cool!

- Last but not least: their very unique Highland cows, which kids adore, and… their meat for sale – the steaks we bought where heavenly, a perfect souvenir of our vacation.

If you are a nature lover, and what you are looking for is true beauty, peace, relaxation, fresh air, a unique, memorable experience...this is most definitely the place for you. Book now!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lilia P
AuDiableVert, Owner at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Lilia P,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to share our little paradise! There are many guests like yourself that come year after year and have followed our progress and success. Have you heard that we won both the Quebec and Canadian Tourism Award (small or medium business of the year) for 2012. You and all our customers deserve a thank you to making us a better place year after year.

We love the fact that you appreciate our eco-efforts and our people-powered concept - thank you for your praise and encouragement.

It's great to hear that you have tried many of our lodgings, if you haven't tried our new cliff cabins yet you should consider these for your next stay with us. They are little cedar log cabins perched over a little cliff our rock outcropping which offers you similar or better views than our tree house cabins. (they all have Mountain names: Pico Alto, Matterhorn, Zugspitze and Grossglockner)

Too often it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, but we like to reward our loyal and happy customers as well. Please identify yourself when you book your next visit, we'd like to offer you a free "privilege" visit to the SPA Bolton.

Never hesitate to contact us directly for any need or suggestions

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have never written a review before, but I am going out of my way this time to help others avoid having the same experience we did. Although the website gives the sense that this is a special eco-award winning resort, you should expect nothing more than a camp ground. The cabins and dishes are not left clean (some are chipped, the frying pans have huge unsafe scratches through the teflon), and the mattresses have mouse holes in them. The site is undeniably beautiful, as is most of this part of Quebec. But it saddens me, as this place could be so much more than it is. (I am not sure where it got the eco reputation for example. There is no compost, no composting toilets, all the vehicles run on gas and oil....).

The trails are nice and quaint, but some are poorly marked. For example, they have marked two different trails with the same orange color marker, so it is difficult to find the end of the first trail (especially in the rain with a toddler!) rather than starting down the second trail. A mistake we came very close to making.

My main complaint however, is the lack of interest in customer service. In the middle of the night, we were woken up by a mouse that had gotten stuck in a glue trap very close to our heads. Of course there are mice, I am not surprised by that and I am fine with a few mouse droppings, as it is to be expected. However, it is not appropriate to leave mouse traps in a "family friendly" cabin without informing the new guests! Perhaps if we had known it was there, we wouldn't have been so disgusted/shocked? The next day when I explained that we had been up all night trying to figure out what to do with the poor half-dead mouse who was fighting the glue, there was no apology, no attempt to admit they had made a mistake and that perhaps they could offer us something in compensation for our poor night of sleep (due to their error!). In fact, they seemed more annoyed with me. Honestly, I think it is fine to have traps out when guests are not staying in the cabin, but to leave a trap without telling a guest is seriously careless behavior. Also because upon arrival you are given a long list of offenses you can be fined for (i.e. your dog getting on one of the shabby mouse eaten mattresses = 100$!), it seems only fair that if they make an error, they would do the same for the guest (i.e. take 50$ off the bill for a forgotten glue trap! near a guest's bed!!)

I will say that we had a very nice hike the following day, and enjoyed the following evening by the fire place. (The cabins are much nicer by candlelight. But be advised: THE FIRE WOOD COSTS 8.50$ a BUNDLE !! THIS IS NOT ON THE WEBSITE !! THE FIREWOOD THAT THEY PUT IN YOUR ROOM = 2 BUNDLES THAT IS 17$ +TAX THAT WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR BILL !! ) That afternoon in the spirit of leaving the cabin better than we found it, we added a much needed dose of wd40 to the lock and the hinges on the door. A vast improvement as we could actually lock and unlock the door after this small repair. I mentioned this to the staff, and once again there was no real acknowledgement or thanks.

I wanted to like this place so badly! It was my birthday weekend and I tried so hard to feel good about the experience. But honestly, I left feeling angry, saddened and exploited. This is such a great idea for a resort. Someone should really create some competition for Au Diable Vert. There is obviously a market for it (all the sites were full) and someone out there can do a much better job.

Room Tip: Come with a group of friends so you can split the costs. Don't expect a great night of sleep or...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank loveisyou11
AuDiableVert, Manager at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear you had a bad time.
We will try and respond to your comments.
There has been some disconnect since the person that reserved stated: Please let me start again... Your place is wonderful and we had an enjoyable time staying there. Thank you very much for that :) Also, I appreciate your friendliness with us and helpfulness during our stay.
Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback on the wood pricing. I totally understand your point. We will add the price of wood to the website (it's brand new and still needs tweaking).

I understand your reasoning for the total cost as well, and here are some tips on how to save.
- You are by no means obliged to buy our wood, and welcome to bring your own eco-logs. However due to recent parasite outbreaks we ask you not to bring wood that comes from another area and has not been treated. We have checked our cost of wood and compared to store bought wood you still save. We do not include the wood into the pricing because the amount of usage varies greatly between customers and we do think that it is more beneficial to the environment if customers think about the cost.
- The cabin you stayed in is one of the biggest, which is why it starts at a higher price for 2, but is very reasonable for 4 ($31.25/person/day). To save money the more economic choice is one of our small cabins.
- The stoves are very efficient. Do ask one of the staff to explain to you how to use them in the most economical way - this time of year you should be able to heat with just a few logs a day.
We hope to see you soon and as a token of our appreciation for your feedback we'll preheat your cabin on your next stay with us.

Your next point was the ECO friendliness of our place. Let us assure you that compost is not the measure on how green you are these days.
Here are a few points on the vehicles: the company car is a Hybrid pick-up and we are the test site for the first all electric ATV from Bombardier. The tractors and farm vehicles are Diesel, but we are always looking for Hybrid or electric solutions (if they exist). We also have a partnership with Communauto to encourage the people who have gone the extra mile not even to own a car in the first place.
The shower building and the warm showers you've enjoyed are completely green, to LEED standard and completely heated by a geothermal system. We encourage people to enjoy people-powered activities, and challenge them to think about their impact on the environment (hence the leave no trace rules, wood being an extra,...) the list goes on, and as you've noted has been reviewed by many juries and award committees.
Compost will stay a no at our place as it attracts to many animals that interfere with the enjoyment our guest experience, such as racoons and bears.

So thank you again for your suggestions, I am sure the team has taken notes. should you have any other concerns or questions, simply contact our Au Diable Vert team

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed in the Eagle's Nest Treehouse cabin and I was really happy the place was clean and was exactly what I was looking for. We were there 2 nights and 3 days, it was really worth going midweek because we saved a ton and there were less guests. My husband and I are now making it a thing for us to get away together here twice a year just the two of us secluded in the woods.

Room Tip: Eagle's Nest is great for a couple
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
AuDiableVert, Owner at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Ashleyxr,

thank you for taking the time to review our place - we are so happy that you have already made plans to come back. You will see that each season offers a very special experience. And yes, you are absolutely right during the week is usually easy to book and less busy than the weekends.

until next time,

your Au Diable Vert team

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed in the Jeremy Fisher cabin, not only was it extremely filthy but there were mouse droppings everywhere! They were on the kitchen table when we went to eat dinner that night as well as on the table outside, and even in the tupperware that contained the dishes that we ate off of.  Unfortunately I did not realize this until the following morning when there was enough light to see.  When morning came around we also found mouse droppings all over the floor- which I swept up, on the kitchen counter right by our food, on the bench near the table, and all over the table on the deck.  I spent a good part of the morning cleaning- not what I thought I'd be doing on my vacation. I honestly wondered if the cabin was even cleaned at all before our arrival.  When you are paying $100.00 per night I think a clean cabin is the least you can expect. My boyfriend and I have stayed in many rustic accommodations for much less and have never ran into anything this unkept.  Even the outhouse was so dirty my stomach couldn't handle the smell to use it and it was so full it was about to reach the top of the toilet.  Also we were told that the bathrooms were a short walk away but no one told us they were a 15 minute walk up a giant hill, obviously we are not going to make that walk in the middle of the night. The land was beautiful but the cabin experience really ruined that stretch of our trip.  I hope that someone does something about this because they honestly could be putting the health of their guests at risk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank whitney k
AuDiableVert, Owner at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear whitney k,

Thank you for taking the time to review our place. We are sad to hear you didn't have a nice stay.

I seldom write the responses for our reviews, but I feel I really need to in your case. The fact is that you stayed in the Jeremy Fisher Cabin after we had just finished the renovations, you were the first guests. Brand new insides, floors, mattresses, beds...I myself did the cleaning with one of our staff, your cabin was dusted, swept, mopped, all surfaces wiped with disinfectant spray and all the dishes and cutlery washed at the Inn. We take comments very seriously and go through them in our staff meetings - in this case I can pledge that your cabin was spotless. The lighting provided are two 32 bulb LED lights (to bright for most of our adventure guests). The reason you only noticed mouse droppings the morning after your first night is because there were non - not when you arrived, ate or went to bed. Yes, it is at night that the little buggers come out to eat. and the will go for your food if you leave it out. The cabin contains instructions how to keep these visits at bay.

too pricey?! - The cabin you stayed in is one of the bigger cabins, which is why it starts at a higher price for 2, but is very reasonable for 4 ($31.25/person/day). To save money the more economic choice is one of our small cabins (also freshly renovated). Again, please notice than we do not charge parking fees, entrance fees, trail fees, shower coins or any of the other park standards. Some people actually think it's a steal - we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the pricing.

We are proud of our people-powered activities. This does include that we ask you to park your car and leave it parked. Yes, it's a 300m walk to the shower building and yes, we are up on a mountain side, so yes one way is always uphill and the way back downhill. We also suggest (for the good of sustainability) you use the carts or sleds (provided for free) and your own muscle power to bring your bags to your site (between 5 to 20min). If you are not capable or do not wish to do so there is a service on offer to transport all your items for $10 - not worth it if you are an experienced outdoors person with one well packed backpack each, however if you can fill more than 2 sleds or carts, it is well worth the price.

Outhouses are smelly - but you may like to know that we are trying out a new worm treatment for outhouses frequently used to compost human waste starting spring 2013. It is supposed to limit the smell.

So if you do decide to visit us again, we have entered you in a draw for a free SPA visit just like all the reviews - find out if you've won when you book your next reservation.

Julie and the Au Diable Vert team

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well, I understand what some of the other reviewers are saying, and maybe the reviews generated some positive actions, at least insofar as the Paradis Perche was concerned. My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights, and we didn't encounter any mustiness, mouse turds or dust issues.

Ya, it's pricey and if I were to go back I'd be inclined to put 4 people in the Paradis cabin, not 2, just to cut down the per person per day cost. However, we didn't really want to do "real camping" ... we wanted a roof in case of rain, tables and chairs, and a comfy bed. If I was prepared to pitch a tent and inflate the beds (no big deal) and deal with the potential of rain, then I'd expect to pay much less. But ya, if you compare the per night cost to a regular hotel, well, it's pricey.

The 5-minute hike to and from the main area was a hike, sure, but then again, I'm used to camping where you canoe for 5 days. People who do car-camping will likely be distressed ... this is much more like wilderness camping than car-camping. I've got no problem with that hike. I did see a few people carrying huge amounts of stuff to their camp sites. I wanted to take a picture of one family, cuz they looked like those pictures of people in India with 3 people and 14 suitcases of luggage stacked on one bicycle. I also saw some hard-core camping people whose entire kit consisted of one very large knapsack and a walking stick.

I suppose it's a bit like how there are people who are cyclists, and there are people who are "cyclists" and there are cyclists. Everyone who rides a bike can call themself a cyclist, but the person who rides 80km a day a few days a week, well, cycling to them ain't the same as cycling is to others. Similarly, I suspect that there are many variations of "campers." Some of the campers we say were hardcore, and they seemed really happy. I dunno what they say about price. My wife and I can kinda in between hardcore and not, so the wildernessy of it all was pretty much was we expected.

As for suggestions to ADV, I'd say that most people expect fresh water at their fingertips. Car campers do, and even wilderness campers either travel fresh water, or they bring pumps so they have water at their fingertips. Humans (well, North Americans) expect water at their fingertips. I suggest a compromise (which admittedly would cost time (money) would be to offer to do a free "water run" once a day, where staff would drop off a full water containers, and at that time they would schlep client's gear with the 4x4. In other words, sure, we'll drop some gear off for you when we do the water run, but since it's a freebie, we'll do it on our timetable, not yours.

My wife went hiking while I went biking into Sutton, and the other day did the kayak run. We liked it.

One other thing though ... I always make the effort to speak French while in Quebec. I don't care if my French isn't perfect, and I've NEVER had any francophone give me a hard time for not speaking correctly. In fact I quite like the fact that I'm sure I'm speaking terrible French, but hey, every day I get a little better at the language. A friend taught me a key phrase: "Je prefere parler en francais, mais parle lentement sil vous plait" which loosely translates to, "I'd prefer to speak French, but please speak slowly." That opens a lot of doors and gets a lot of smiles.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AuDiableVert, Owner at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Jon M,
thank you for taking the time to review us. It is also very clear that you get the place and no you stayed in the same cabin at the same time as the other reviewers. However we do make updates all the time, for emaple the small cabins, log cabins and Jeremy Fisher got brand new insides this year.

Staying in a 6 person cabin as a couple is pricey, but there are great options with the small cabins or just bring a bunch of friends. It'll be les than half price per person that way.much less. No regular hotel in the trees either, we are miles away from the 400 standard rooms - each cabin is very individual and unique.

I am happy to hear that you don't mind our people-powered concept - yes we do make you walk for the good of the planet or we ask you to pay for a service (it is not more than the cost to the environment).

thanks for your suggestions, we've been looking into water options, but very often hit regulation boundaries.

Great you are a francophone-friendly anglophone....and yes, a smiles opens doors in any language.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Careful if you choose this Eastern Townships spot...not at all clean or kept-up (it IS the woods, but come on, 'dirty' and 'run-down' is NOT 'rustic', it is just plain drirty and run-down). Also, I am not sure the mangement have any real idea how to run such a place. Their inability to help with inconveniences/guest needs was a bit shocking. Beds are unsafe for tiny kids. Adults will be just plain miserable, ill-served and uncomfortable. The surroundings are WONDERFUL...too absolutely nothing else is. Sadly, we really were VERY disillusioned and disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank DiscerningFunFamily
AuDiableVert, Front Office Manager at Au Diable Vert, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear DiscerningFunFamily,

thank you for taking the time to write a review. You stay in a cabin, I believe Eagle's Nest. The top bunk, although it is enclosed from 3 sides is very high and not suitable for very small children. However your 5 and 10 year old should have had no problem or if in doubt their is always the bottom bunk which is no higher than a standard bed. If you are traveling with small children please ask for one of our travel cots (best to book ahead as the quantity is limited), they work for up to 3 years old.
I am not sure on your other comments as those cabins are relatively new, but I am guessing you are referring to the little forest critters visiting and leaving presents. This year was really exceptional in terms of mice in the summer. due to the drought we saw many more in our traps and had reports (as I am sure you noted in the reviews) in the cabins. Typically this only happens in the fall when it gets cold. We did and do our best to deter them (scent and sound) or trap them, but this summer they seemed to be everywhere (not just our cabins, but across the board, no matter who we talked to, no country house or cabin was spared). I am happy to report that with winter finally on the way, they have quieted down and we seldom find them or their evidence.

Nevertheless we do take careful note of all comments, and steadily aim to improve the customer experience.

We are also happy to report that because of customer suggestions we have evaluated the Eagle's Nest to be in need of a bigger and covered porch so you can enjoy the outdoors from on high in any weather...this renovation is due to start in April 2013.

Please never hesitate to contact us directly,