“A great place to stay in Sutton!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Auberge Agnes Horth and Bakery
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Sutton
Richmond, Virginia
“A great place to stay in Sutton!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is my third stay at Agnes Horth Inn. The atmosphere there is so comfortable that I feel I am at home, not in a commercial establishment. This is not to say that the amenities of an inn are not present! The bed was large and extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets, the private bathroom is modern and comfortable, and I had plenty of room for my things and there were conveniently located plugs to keep my electronics charged up. I kept in touch with my family on the WiFi at the inn.

Breakfast is fresh, hot and delicious - no cold buffet with heat-it-yourself pastries. When you check in Ray asks you what time you would like to have breakfast and you can set it to suit your own schedule.

In the evenings I came back to the inn and enjoyed watching satellite TV in the lounge and visiting with the owners. A fine way to end the day.

The place is lovely. So many improvements have been made during the 20 years that Carla and Ray have owned it that those of us who saw it before can scarcely recognize it. Modernization has not obliterated the character of this very old building. In many places you can still see the original hand-hewn posts and beams of the original construction. The decor compliments and enhances the architectural elements and gives guests the opportunity to spend a little time living in an historic venue.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank s p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We were a group of 5 and booked a suite of two rooms which fitted our needs very well. The decoration is perhaps rather quirky but this just adds to the experience. Ray made us very welcome and we enjoyed our stay. TVs in the rooms do not have access to TV as such with only videos and DVDs available to watch, though that didn't bother us. Breakfast was freshly cooked and good quality even if choice was a little limited. All in all our stay was very enjoyable and very good value.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sue B
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I will say up front that perhaps much of my negative impression is due to the room I was given - #4.

However, there are a number of common problems. They advertise having TV in every room, when in fact there is no TV in any of the rooms, so this is a blatant and sleazy lie (done with full intent of deceiving). What they give you is a VCR/DVD player, a monitor, and a large number of films. Also, they are either very resource attentive, or just cheap. There are few lights/lamps in the rooms, and they all have the dimmest bulb possible for basic illumination. I generally don't require a powerful shower (which many women like), but their water pressure is so weak that you can visibly see the water start to droop as it leaves the shower head.

I was initially impressed, as when I walked in I was shown to my room with no request for payment. This changed when I saw the room. It had a queen bed, but much of the space left was taken up by two huge bureaus - far more than anyone would need even if staying for a year. There was a chair, but not much that you could do with it, as there was no surface that could be used as a table/desk. The two alleys on the sides of the bed had overly large night tables at the end of them, and not enough room for anything else. Actually, when I walked in, I couldn't even access them, as one had the chair blocking it, and the other was mostly blocked by a bureau.

There was a fan, but when I tried to turn it on, I discovered it was unplugged. I then realized that there wasn't an outlet for it. I later wondered if they had perhaps only dumped it in my room to remove it from a nicer room. With a lot of effort, I managed to bring an extension cord from the head of the bed to the outlet serving the monitor/player, then used the other wall outlet for the fan. If you wanted heat instead, you had to reach in the corner behind and under a night table and turn a knob - with no ability to see what you were setting it to.

My basic impression was that they got a good deal on a set of cheap Chinese faux-ornate furniture, and insisted on stuffing all of it in this tiny (perhaps 11 x 14) room. There was clearly no thought towards trying to make the room functional for guests. The whole place has hideous, extremely amateurish oil paintings and other bad "art" hanging on the walls - perhaps done by one of the owners.

I will say that the bed was very good, and I slept quite well.

There are a number of odd things about the place, such as the rooms having not a single piece of paper in them. Maybe at 10 PM I realized there was no indication of breakfast hours, and it wasn't mentioned to me on arrival. Apparently they do their own baking, and it was good - I had a quite nice croissant.

On their brochure, they claim you can order from a list of 20 breakfast items - I wonder if anyone has ever seen this? I was recited a list consisting of eggs cooked in three different manners, or French Toast. I went with the latter, and it came with one ??? slice of bacon (another suggestion that economy is king here) and a selection of sliced fruits.

As I alluded to up front, it doesn't surprise me that many couples like this place. I had stayed in cheap motels the previous two nights, and those rooms came much closer to meeting my needs - in particular, a well-lit place to write. It just feels that they work hard to project a certain atmosphere - and some of the reviewers here seem to go for it big time, when it fact it seems to be mostly fluff. The newer walls are pine boards - but if you look closely you see the poor quality of the wood and workmanship.

I suppose in the end it all comes down to what you're looking for, and I was quite disappointed in that regard. YMMV

Room Tip: Not #4 !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BostonSculpt
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is the perfect get away for the everyday stresses life throws at you....
We went for a week-end to unwind, mission accomplished! This place is quiet, and a decor that's out of the ordinary. If you love nature this is the place to go.We did not have dinner but breakfast was way above what was expected.See enclosed picks for insight on the unique decor....Staff was friendly but discreet like I said....Perfect for a brain lobotomy....A walk in nature a little swim in the pool, dinner in town (about 2 KM) To finish off just sitting on their front balcony....Hum heaven...Bring your Mp3 and a good book.Your all set, The best for last....The price 100 bucks a night, Hey I stayed at Estérel resorts the week before at 400 bucks a night.... I preferred the former. Great for couples that need "reconnecting" Think about what's important, life's to short now go hug someone you love and enjoy your stay....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Francesco D
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for five nights at the end of May and the first of June. I had a beautiful, comfortable room with a private bath. The nights there were quiet and perfect for a good night's sleep. I had a choice of comfy armchairs to sit and read in. I was able to keep in touch with my family in the States on Skype, thanks to the WiFi available. I enjoyed watching TV in the lounge on the big screen and talking to the other guests and the owners. It was like having a home to come back to each evening

Breakfast at Agnes Horth is the full "English" breakfast, served in the elegant dining room. Ray asks each guest or group when they will be wanting breakfast and what they would like to have, so it's ready when you are! I enjoyed having coffee on the porch in the morning. All the views are beautiful. It's like a country resort with its pool and lovely gardens.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank s p
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I almost stayed here at the end of the ski season. I checked in and a man was walking through the sitting room with just a towel on. There were dusty nick nacs everywhere and I found a jacussi full of dead plants just down the hall from my room.
The internet only available in bar area, and there is no tv connection in rooms. Videos are left there for you to play.
It should be classified as a youth hostel. The doors lock at 11, and you don't get your own key to come back in. Dinner cooking smelled strongly of cabbage.
I thankfully got out quickly and safely and ran to Le Pleasant Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maddy B
Jackson NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited Sutton just as the ski season was winding down and spring temperatures were inching up. I had a delightful stay at the Agnes Horth inn and virtually had the run of the place, as I was one of a handful of guests on this off-season weekend. There's a special charm to having the opportunity of sit in the many parlor areas and not be distracted by crowds. The inn has many sunny nooks & crannies to enjoy. One had a piano, but I have no talent to use it. I asked for the least expensive accommodations and had small room with private bath. While small, it was furnished with very nice antique furniture: chest, chairs, bed (the mattress was new & firm). One negative: the bathroom was small and the shower even smaller. Anyone heftier than me should choose a bigger room. Breakfast was hot & bountiful. Owner Ray is warm & friendly; I learned about maple-surgaring, the mechanics of running a ski area and appreciated the background he gave me about les Cantons-Est. Heartily recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank LifeOnTheBorder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
Le Montagnard
Horizon Hotel
#5 of 6 in Sutton
Auberge Sutton Brouerie
Jay Peak Resort

Been to Auberge Agnes Horth and Bakery? Share your experiences!