“Romantic cabin on the wooded lakeshore” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge Duchesnay

Auberge Duchesnay
uk
“Romantic cabin on the wooded lakeshore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

We stayed at one of the Auberge's 20 or so picturesque cabins on the lake shore. The cabin included plenty of parking, along with very easy access to the seasonal Canadian Ice Hotel / Hotel de Glacé (awe inspiring in it's own right) which was only 30seconds away as part of the same national park.

The scenic postcard-views from the kitchen and living room windows are simply fantastic and must be seen to be believed.

The cabin was incredibly spacious and featured three bedrooms, and real log fire in the living room with a treasure chest of logs for fuel. There were some strange electrical buzzing sounds permanently heard in parts of the cabin, but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. The sofa's in the living room were undersized and particularly uncomfortable, in stark contrast to the rest of the furniture.

There are no real views from the bedrooms as they are below ground level, but this does mean they stay warm. Every room had it's own electrical heater with individual themostat which was excellent.

As you probably know, this area is located in the french speaking (francophone) Canadian province of Quebec and we had been warned to expect rudeness, but we found all the staff to be exceptionally tolerant of our French greetings and requests to speak english, which they did to a very high standard.

The main attraction for the cabin is the privacy and ability to cater for yourself at your own leisure, but beware, the kitchen does not come stocked even with the very basics (ie salt, pepper, sugar). It's location means it's right on top of access to a variety of sports and activities throughout the year.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank indigo404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bloomfield, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the Auberge for 2 nites this Feb. for a wedding at the Hotel De Glace, which is located on the grounds. The hotel was clean and the concierge desk was very helpful. The view is beautiful as the location is not very populated but also not many alternatives for dinning out. A group of people we were traveling with went dogsledding and loved it.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank aetravel
Waldwick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

I must say I absolutely loved this hotel. It was quite difficult to find however, as there are a number of small lodges on the property, and the hotel is nestled snug in a small area in the middle of nowhere. Thank god for GPS!!

From the start we were treated as family here. I paid a good price for the reservation including snowmobiling. However when I arrived I was given many other "freebies" as i would say. I was provided with a meal voucher for a 4-course dinner and a full buffet breakfast, as well as a visit to the ice hotel and a schedule of events hosted right on site.

It was a beautiful winter getaway and quite romantic and warm. We had a great time playing in the snow and enjoying the activities the site had to offer.

My only complaint was that we got quite cold during the snowmobiling, but hey its winter! That and my French is not so good, but the Quebec French are very welcoming and understanding of that!!!

• Liked — All of the activities
  • Disliked — Kind of hard to find at first
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rickyrak
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

The staff was so friendly & nice, the rooms are quaint and fit within the natural setting, there are many fun activities and the setting is nothing less than breathtaking.

• Liked — The room fit perfectly with the natural setting
  • Disliked — It would be nice if the pool was a few degrees warmer
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DevelopmentWorker
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

Not sure when the auberge was built or renovated, but everything was very new. The lobby and restaurant were tastefully decorated as a modern ski lodge. The view outside our window was beautiful given it was a snow covered lake. The only thing I wasn't very impressed with was the staff at the restaurant, les quatre temps, was kind of distant and aloof towards non-French customers. I enjoyed the food but not a fan of the restaurant staff. The spa was brand new, but visitors have to walk outside wrapped in just a blanket to get to the individual massage houses, which is a pain given the cold quebec winter weather.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hc6219
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

The resort is truly beautiful but I had to stay in one of the cabins because the Auberge was fully booked. I got to visit other cabins in addition to mine too.

Our cabin was adequately and nicely furnished. I do have a thing though for bathrooms. I like them clean and undamaged. Our shower curtain was worn out, ratty, and stained. The shower walls had dark stains on them. At the price we pay for these cabins, management could at least wash/replace shower curtains between guests; and also do at least a cosmetic fix for those ugly walls.

The Auberge was nicer (got to stay here too). Beds were nicely made up (don't know if bedding has been changed though). Both bed and bathroom looked clean. No ratty shower curtains in the Auberge!

Their breakfast buffet was amazing and efficiently laid out although I'm not a huge eater so huge amounts are not important to me. I like the variety though.

Restaurant staff were very professional and efficient. Service during lunch was very slow though (wait time of, sometimes, over an hour). This doesn't seem to be the staff's fault. They moved fast but there were just too few of them. We had a conference and there were 200+ people seated. There were very few food servers to bring 3 sets of dishes to every table (appetizer, main course, dessert). I'd say this is the management's fault for not deploying more staff during lunch hour. A buffer would have been more appropriate as it would require less staff (they don't seem to have that many).

Additionally, I think that staff in resorts that also cater to international clients (or even just non-Quebecer clients) should be fluent in both French and English. I found that lower rank staff didn't know a word of English. Some front desk staff have great difficulty conversing and writing in English. Knowing nothing but Frenh would be good if they only target Quebec residents or French people or people from French-colonized nations but people visiting Canada expect to be able to use either French or English. Those signs that were exclusively in French were a big turn off. I must confess I didn't expect the resort or Quebec to be so fanatical about their language. I was attending a conference so I didn't do my learn-everything-I-can-learn-about-this-country-I'm-visiting exercise that I usually do. That's probably because I was going to a conference, not a vacation. It was in Canada. It was in North America! For God's sake, I should be able to talk in English in North America!

3 Thank MaruSag
London, on
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

We travelled from Ontario to stay as the propery and price was fantastic. The room was wonderful; clean, nicely decorated, beds were comfortable, it was also very quiet. We took part in almost all of the activities that come free with the package, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, candle making and archery. These were fantastic, all the staff was friendly, spoke wonderful english( even though they thought it was poor) and helped with our attempts at french. The dining room was fabulous I have never eaten so well or so much in my life! I would go back again in a heartbeat, and as it is on a lake we may try going back in the summer to take advantage of the beach. The ice hotel was an added benefit as it was magical!

• Liked — The outdoor activities and staff
  • Disliked — One dining room host was a little grumpy
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cori14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte Catherine de la Jacques Cartier
Le Manoir du Lac Delage
#50 of 101 in Quebec City
Hotel Cofortel
Hotel Cofortel
#20 of 101 in Quebec City

Been to Auberge Duchesnay? Share your experiences!